shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling elle_chris and Sholdt semi bezel owners!!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze BEAUTIFUL!! Yup, very similar idea and vintage flair with the modern twist ;-) And with some "me" added into mine! Love it! Has the bezel made your "sparkle" any different? I know there are tons of threads on this, but curious about your personal experience?? Thanks!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze There are so many gorgeous halos if you love your stone- Sholdt actually has some I've been swooning over if I wanted a halo!! They're dreamy! But if you want a larger stone, then that doesn't apply! Either way, it'll be gorgeous whatever you decide!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No details yet... I love LAD's Artemis (full bezel still) in plat and rose gold, and was waiting for high ering season to pass before ordering. Which has given me more time to continue admiring Sholdt's settings and wanting one of those too!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rainydaze BEAUTIFUL!! Yup, very similar idea and vintage flair with the modern twist ;-) And with some "me" added into mine! Love it! Has the bezel made your "sparkle" any different? I know there are tons of threads on this, but curious about your personal experience?? Thanks!

This is the only setting I have had this diamond in, so I don't know if it sparkles differently or if the bezel affects the patterning postively or negatively. That's one of the reasons I am interested in a reset, I would love to see if removing some of the bezel brings out even more performance.

That said, my diamond has been gorgeous in the bezel.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for responding mother! This was so helpful, you really describe and covered the things I was pondering so well! At the risk of sounding stalker-y, I keep playing some of the videos you have posted of your ring here... it's just so gorgeous!
Thanks so much for the kind comments. I do love it, but I also appreciate the desire for change, which is why I’m back to my OEC for the time being, and pondering an alt-ering project.

Love 'bonk-protection' :lol:
Oh whoops... said I'd include a pic and forgot!

IMG_1612.JPG

Wait ... is that a James Meyer, and you’re thinking about resetting the diamond from it? :shock::shock::shock:

If so, and you’re selling the setting, I’d just like to throw out ‘dibs’ now! :twisted2:

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze ouuuuuuu, just looked it up, and that is a gorgeous setting! That would definitely give lots of awesome finger coverage :kiss2: And still keep your stone protected! The looking and searching is part of the fun!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing I know. Ack. That's really one of the main reasons I was thinking I should upgrade vs. reset. It's insanity to toss away a James Meyer. Especially when it's paired with a gorgeous diamond. It feels a lot better to keep the ring whole and let someone else enjoy it. But DH wasn't really excited about the upgrade idea, and I do love this diamond. If and when I make a move, I will definitely let you know first that the JM setting is available!

@Simple and Sparkly So right!! I am definitely savoring the chase! =)2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing I know. Ack. That's really one of the main reasons I was thinking I should upgrade vs. reset. It's insanity to toss away a James Meyer. Especially when it's paired with a gorgeous diamond. It feels a lot better to keep the ring whole and let someone else enjoy it. But DH wasn't really excited about the upgrade idea, and I do love this diamond. If and when I make a move, I will definitely let you know first that the JM setting is available!

I’d be more inclined to keep the setting and have it reset with a colored stone or even a sim for a travel ring. You can’t get JM’s anymore, so you do have a real treasure there. I can see & appreciate why it’s a difficult decision. ;)2

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@D&T one more question... have you noticed any significant performance or light play reduction once the stone is bezeled? I know there are lots of threads about this, but the responses seem pretty split. Since you have had full and part bezels yourself (and I LOVE your current avatar ring!!!), can you tell a difference? This decision is torturing me- HA!! I want my stone to have the same personality as it does now, but in a bezel! Is that a tall order? I don't want to make a pricey mistake! :eek2: Thanks!!:kiss2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T one more question... have you noticed any significant performance or light play reduction once the stone is bezeled? I know there are lots of threads about this, but the responses seem pretty split. Since you have had full and part bezels yourself (and I LOVE your current avatar ring!!!), can you tell a difference? This decision is torturing me- HA!! I want my stone to have the same personality as it does now, but in a bezel! Is that a tall order? I don't want to make a pricey mistake! :eek2: Thanks!!:kiss2:

I often wonder about this, too, and have read the same mixed responses, so am anxious to hear D&T’s reply. :read:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me three!! I'm curious since I have only ever had mine in a bezel, it's gorgeous but I wonder if I have been missing out on even more gorge. =)2

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy I have lots of thoughts lol.

I am a bezel and semi bezel lover through and through because of the utility of low key wear mainly BUT here is what I have noticed and not just with bezels.

These are settings I have had with my yellow EC:

1- tried to recreate the head with a double milgrain a la @goldenfire as I loved the head so much. While I love the look for the EC because it was non-traditional head on an EC the prongs on the elongated side of the diamonds created a shawdow down through the pavilion and bothered me so I would advise against having any prongs on the (length) long side of the EC. This doesn’t affect your diamond since its a round. I circled where I had this shadow effect from the prongs.

upload_2019-1-25_22-23-51.png

upload_2019-1-25_22-24-18.png
Ssme Setting for the Round Not Double milgrain:
Ring below belongs to @goldenfire

upload_2019-1-25_22-24-34.png

2- I love my semi bezel on the EC because it left two sides open to catch light and beautiful to see an open pavilion gallery. because the walls were yellow gold and not pierced I felt that it amplified the yellow of the diamond. However, you do miss the additional exposure to have pavilion fire and sparkle factor. So You have to weigh the choices of do you want to expose more chances of pavilion sparkle or accentuate the color (colored Diamonds) Now for a colorless diamond It’s not so much color that you are weighing but to have that additional light hitting the pavilion.
upload_2019-1-25_22-25-28.png

3- current setting Is a full bezel and love the low key maintenance but it is sitting very low and ECs are hard to keep clean in the first So this setting is extra difficult to keep clean almost defeat my low key maintenance. I find that I have to use my ultrasonic cleaner more and I use compressed air can underneath otherwise light perferomance is severly hampered. I didn’t want it to sit high so this was the cost.

upload_2019-1-25_22-27-1.png

Wow sorry so long.

But performance in a nut shell:

1- I feel the performance was affected by the ability to keep your pavilion clean and open especially more so for diamonds not in the ideal cut parameters, colored or diamonds with less facets such as step cuts.

2. Bezels will cover no doubt some parts of the crown and of course the girdle where you could miss out on catching some rainbow and fire

3. Diamond crown coverage will also reduce that “sparkle edge factor” even at the girdle will catch some fire.

My recommendation would be to have a

Thinner bezel with an expose pavilion type setting on colorless diamonds to compensate for the girdle sparkle factor you lose with bezels so you have more pavilion exposure.

Similar to the below but a little thinner on the bezel:
upload_2019-1-25_22-29-26.png

More like these earrings in a ring form.

upload_2019-1-25_22-29-41.png

So for me in order to have the heft of a bezel type maintenance but still giving me some girdle and pavilion exposure to catch that sparkle fire for a round and colorless diamond I enjoyed the setting that @goldenfire now has no way those prongs will lift up on its own by catching on sweaters and will definitely protect because the metal extends beyond diamond.

Hope this helps and apologies, I wrote most of this during a basketball game. :cry:

Last edited:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoops to give you a sneak peak, I still love semi bezel and bezel despite some abrasion and pavilion diamond blocking... I am working on a colored RB diamond.. brown greenish yellow champagne/chameleon like and considering this setting from Sholdt (Actually CAD is in the works ;)2) as I do love the fluid nature of their semi bezels:
upload_2019-1-25_22-37-20.png
upload_2019-1-25_22-37-37.png

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post @D&T :clap: Very informative from your experiences which makes this mega-helpful!

I have been mulling over setting options for an asscher ever since I thought about starting the search for one. Now that I’m expecting my second one (and hoping it is a winner; we’ll see on Tuesday), I’ve been thinking more and more about what/how I want to set it. I’ve been thinking about a Sholdt semi-bezel for it as well, but different from my MRB/Sholdt (in my av pic). Given the LxW ratio is 1.05, would you suggest that I have it set more east-west (where the longer sides are on the north/south sides of the setting, and thus open to receiving more light ‘in’? I hope my question makes sense.

I’m not dead set on that setting just yet, but it is a serious contender.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post @D&T :clap: Very informative from your experiences which makes this mega-helpful!

I have been mulling over setting options for an asscher ever since I thought about starting the search for one. Now that I’m expecting my second one (and hoping it is a winner; we’ll see on Tuesday), I’ve been thinking more and more about what/how I want to set it. I’ve been thinking about a Sholdt semi-bezel for it as well, but different from my MRB/Sholdt (in my av pic). Given the LxW ratio is 1.05, would you suggest that I have it set more east-west (where the longer sides are on the north/south sides of the setting, and thus open to receiving more light ‘in’? I hope my question makes sense.

I’m not dead set on that setting just yet, but it is a serious contender.

Hey.... well funny you asked, i actually had an asscher in a Sholdt as well!....lol in fact I've had two Asschers in Sholdt settings:

ooff.. my ring size has grown ...:(2

here is the first Sholdt smaller asscher:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ity-band-mark-broumand-oec-3-stone-dk.195021/

upload_2019-1-25_22-54-20.png

upload_2019-1-25_22-54-38.png
and then here is a larger Asscher
upload_2019-1-25_22-55-31.png

I will say out of the two asscher semi bezel the second one was a very open setting with lots of light and very protective despite its kite setting. although the first felt more buttery and substantial, not saying that the second wasn't substantial, but it is a thinner ring all around. However, if you are going for the most open setting that will help a diamond, I believe the second semi bezel kite setting (originally made for a RB) is the best.

Your question makes perfect sense!... and given your ratio... honestly I wouldnt see it a noticeable difference if you turned it... I believe this is woofmama's asscher: and hers' is a little more elongated asscher.
upload_2019-1-25_22-59-25.png
here is her thread: to view additional pictures. hope this helps.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ec-in-sholdt-semi-bezel-pearlmans-pics.180994/

ETA: oops just noticed that Woofmama's ring is an EC but good visual nonetheless

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T Thanks so much! Your semi-bezel asscher Sholdt (non-kite set) is similar to the one I am considering (it has tiny diamonds on the corners that appear to spill down). I love how much light enters the diamond from my current custom Sholdt setting (in my av), that it allows a perfect view of the pavilion, and how sleek yet substantial it feels without feeling bulky. And I am super drawn to how that particular setting seems to accentuate the asscher cut so perfectly. It will be a really difficult decision ... if/when I land on the right asscher cut diamond.:doh:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T Thanks so much! Your semi-bezel asscher Sholdt (non-kite set) is similar to the one I am considering (it has tiny diamonds on the corners that appear to spill down). I love how much light enters the diamond from my current custom Sholdt setting (in my av), that it allows a perfect view of the pavilion, and how sleek yet substantial it feels without feeling bulky. And I am super drawn to how that particular setting seems to accentuate the asscher cut so perfectly. It will be a really difficult decision ... if/when I land on the right asscher cut diamond.:doh:

Is there a particular size? I've saved this asscher for sometime... but in case it meets your specs... its gorgeous... But good luck, I'm sure it'll be a beauty!

.90ct GIA H.. I wish I can buy it... but I find that I gravitate towards Fancy Colors nowadays... man I sure hope someone here picks this up soon! and put me out of my misery.
ParksFineGroup on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ParksFineGroupInc?ref=l2-shopheader-name

upload_2019-1-25_23-26-47.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T I have eyed that one before as well, but have primarily been trying to get as close to the 7mm range as possible so it can be an alt e-ring. But the more I struggle with balancing my wants with my budget, it’s proving harder and harder. I have another diamond coming early next week, so we will see. I have also toyed with just finding a smaller one of great quality and making a 3-stone RHR with it and a couple of small pink spinels as well. I just worry about going too small with an asscher where I may not be able to appreciate the faceting/cut/performance (I don’t know what that size threshold is though). We’ll just have to see what this one looks like next week. I have a thread on it here if you wish to weigh in ... the more the merrier! :dance:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-i-go-again-another-asscher-look-see-plz.246467/

Reactions: D&T

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@D&T Your response was incredible!!! Thank you so much - and long is good!! I was really hoping for long! I have always loved @goldenfire's setting. My only problem is that I have always worn a more substantial shank and thinner shanks feel weird to me. That's one of the reasons I am feeling like I need a bit more "oomph" for my "me" setting. Hmmmm... I'm just so confused- I love seeing the pavilion flashes and the edge to edge light. But the safety is huge too. UGH! This is definitely not a an easy task. I think I have looked at every setting on the entire web- HA!! My brain is tired! I guess I will keep trying to have more patience. I had thought of doing the semi bezel and then adding a teeny tiny bezel around the exposed part. I'm worried that may look weird though and break up the amazing flow of the ring. The semi bezel is just has the right amount of substance to my eyes. Not sure how that adjustment would look tho! Thanks again- your insight was SOOOOOOOOO helpful! Happy weekend!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There does exist a Tiffany Lucida bezel setting that seems to fit the bill (of all that is said above).

random thought

Reactions: D&T

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T Your response was incredible!!! Thank you so much - and long is good!! I was really hoping for long! I have always loved @goldenfire's setting. My only problem is that I have always worn a more substantial shank and thinner shanks feel weird to me. That's one of the reasons I am feeling like I need a bit more "oomph" for my "me" setting. Hmmmm... I'm just so confused- I love seeing the pavilion flashes and the edge to edge light. But the safety is huge too. UGH! This is definitely not a an easy task. I think I have looked at every setting on the entire web- HA!! My brain is tired! I guess I will keep trying to have more patience. I had thought of doing the semi bezel and then adding a teeny tiny bezel around the exposed part. I'm worried that may look weird though and break up the amazing flow of the ring. The semi bezel is just has the right amount of substance to my eyes. Not sure how that adjustment would look tho! Thanks again- your insight was SOOOOOOOOO helpful! Happy weekend!

Ahhh. I hear ya, I actually started with a 4-6 mm shank first e-ring was a semi bezel/channel bar set type ring then as decades went on I gravitated more on the thinner side to add bands of any width to play up the e-ring.

I love semi bezels if it sings to your heart you should go for it... buy insurance and I enjoy your ring :twisted2:

You don’t want to go for something else because you fear may or may not happen in the future only to regret getting that setting down the road.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way you can get a chip or abrasion anywhere else on the crown too. I’ve had this happen as well so it’s not just on the girdle.

Honestly there isn’t a full proof ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results