shape
carat
color
clarity

Here I Go Again ... Another Asscher Look-See Plz

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just when I thought I would give up on the Asscher search for awhile :wall: I came across this one.

It’s on hold for me; however, they did not have a still image or video on the site (only a link to the GIA cert which kind of interested me), so it probably doesn’t do me any good to link to the listing details for it. They were able to email me the video which I uploaded to YT and posted below, and I’ve asked that they check for a clear still image as well. No ASET or IS available until I buy it and have it sent to them from the supplier.

I’m fine with the color (M) and the clarity (very clean VS2 plot); the couple of itsy-bitsy tiny inclusions (in order on report: crystal/cloud/needle) are neatly tucked away under the crown facets vs. the table. :dance: I’m really only wondering how the overall cut & performance appear to those with eyes more skilled than mine in assessing step-cuts.

Specs:
Table: 62%
Depth: 69.9%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Measurements: 7.08 x 6.75 x 4.72 mm
Ct: 2.04ct

To me, I *think* it looks bright and fiery in the video. I don’t see leakage (e.g., black showing through the table from the background face-on), except as it rotates to the left from the face-on position ... the area down by p3 at about the 9:00 location goes dark. That may be normal to see as the diamond moves around, facets turn off/on, etc., but it doesn’t do this when I back it up and rotate it to the right from the face-on view. That also very well could just be the result of a minuscule tilt of the diamond in the holder; just not sure. I feel like the price is pretty good/bargain-ish, and I’m guessing that’s because of the color.

What say the step-cut gurus? Worth buying/bringing in for an ASET and look-see in person? Anything jump out at you in the video? What do your more-skilled eyes see that mine are not? Don’t be shy, and thanks in advance! ;)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an asscher expert but I have to say it looks to have potential to me. The facets looked like they were blinking east to west(hopefully same north to
south). I didnt see anything that screamed "NO" to me. So they can do an aset if you buy it? Good return policy I'm assuming?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an asscher expert but I have to say it looks to have potential to me. The facets looked like they were blinking east to west(hopefully same north to
south). I didnt see anything that screamed "NO" to me. So they can do an aset if you buy it? Good return policy I'm assuming?

:wavey: Thanks for chiming in! Yes, they have a good return policy, so not worried about that so much as it is the usual hassle with an overseas supplier, getting it to the vendor, etc., and the time it all takes to do that. (Patience is not a virtue in my arsenal LOL).

Again, not an expert...but I think it looks to be a very nice assher, at least to my eyes anyway.
:wavey: Thank you as well!

Also tagging a few additional folks who’ve commented on my previous Asscher threads, as the stone is on hold only until tomorrow for me to decide. @Matthews1127 @Karl_K @AV_ @OoohShiny @clcat120 @diamondseeker2006 @evergreen @LLJsmom @whitewave @lambskin @bmfang

And just for gits & shiggles, for those who remember that 10 ct yellow asscher from JA that I posted in one of my prior threads that was offered for a mere $1.8M ... looks like someone might have snatched it up. Pity because I was just about to write the check. :lol:https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...cher-cut/10.02-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-5575826

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Thanks for chiming in! Yes, they have a good return policy, so not worried about that so much as it is the usual hassle with an overseas supplier, getting it to the vendor, etc., and the time it all takes to do that. (Patience is not a virtue in my arsenal LOL).

:wavey: Thank you as well!

Also tagging a few additional folks who’ve commented on my previous Asscher threads, as the stone is on hold only until tomorrow for me to decide. @Matthews1127 @Karl_K @AV_ @OoohShiny @clcat120 @diamondseeker2006 @evergreen @LLJsmom @whitewave @lambskin @bmfang

And just for gits & shiggles, for those who remember that 10 ct yellow asscher from JA that I posted in one of my prior threads that was offered for a mere $1.8M ... looks like someone might have snatched it up. Pity because I was just about to write the check. :lol:https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...cher-cut/10.02-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-5575826

When will you get the new stone? Interested to see a M color asscher. I've seen some vendor selling M color, and on the videos, you cannot tell the color at all when face up! Hopefully you will like this one more!

That 10ct one will be a life achievement.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree; very good potential. Looking forward to the ASET Images, and your final conclusion. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this works out for you!!! :mrgreen2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@clcat120 I don’t know yet when I would get it; have to pay first. But before I do that, I’d hoped to get some feedback from the prosumers on here first. I’m not afraid of color at all, even if it does show up in the face-up view. My OEC is a GIA M color, and to me, it just has this lovely, lacy-ivory color. Since this one is also a GIA M, I’m thinking it’ll be pretty close, albeit possibly more/less tint given the scale widens as you go down the color scale, but that’s okay. It’s probably my least-concerning ‘C’. :mrgreen2:

@Matthews1127 Thank you so much. There has GOT to be a formula to making it easier to sort through potential stones. Or a “checklist for dummies” (like me) at least ... like “do facets turn on/off, does area under table look dark, ideal spread achieved when depth < X, etc.”. I’ll be honest though, I’m not so sure I want the vendor to do/take the ASET. I’ve seen some of their ASETs, and I don’t know if they are as skilled at taking them as they should be, or if the ones I’ve seen that they’ve posted for some Asschers are just bad ASETs (e.g., badly cut stones). I think it might scare me off if it’s a crappy ASET that is actually just poorly taken vs. representative of the actual stone’s cut, if that makes sense. :(2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They just sent me this picture, which looks like a still of the diamond from the video, so I cropped it in case it shows up too tiny, though I bet it’ll just look massive thx to the ‘ol iPad.
B29197A3-F643-49DE-A5C5-0C11E3844B5F.jpeg

Attachments

• 59BFDBEB-D6CB-4D24-9957-49E5963DAEF4.jpeg
    59BFDBEB-D6CB-4D24-9957-49E5963DAEF4.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I still like this Asscher. I also like that you can see the evident body colour, which for me is beautiful. Hope this stone turns out to be a winner for you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@clcat120 I don’t know yet when I would get it; have to pay first. But before I do that, I’d hoped to get some feedback from the prosumers on here first. I’m not afraid of color at all, even if it does show up in the face-up view. My OEC is a GIA M color, and to me, it just has this lovely, lacy-ivory color. Since this one is also a GIA M, I’m thinking it’ll be pretty close, albeit possibly more/less tint given the scale widens as you go down the color scale, but that’s okay. It’s probably my least-concerning ‘C’. :mrgreen2:

@Matthews1127 Thank you so much. There has GOT to be a formula to making it easier to sort through potential stones. Or a “checklist for dummies” (like me) at least ... like “do facets turn on/off, does area under table look dark, ideal spread achieved when depth < X, etc.”. I’ll be honest though, I’m not so sure I want the vendor to do/take the ASET. I’ve seen some of their ASETs, and I don’t know if they are as skilled at taking them as they should be, or if the ones I’ve seen that they’ve posted for some Asschers are just bad ASETs (e.g., badly cut stones). I think it might scare me off if it’s a crappy ASET that is actually just poorly taken vs. representative of the actual stone’s cut, if that makes sense. :(2

I understand your concern, but @Karl_K is extremely skilled at interpreting ASET’s....even amateur images (like mine)...lol!!
I think if you get the ASET & share it here, you will get honest, true feedback.
Honestly, from the video & stills, I can’t imagine it will prove to be a dull ASET, or a poor performer....

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @chamois and @Matthews1127 I am hopeful it may be ‘the one’ as well.

Does that one dark triangle-ish area (when it’s rotating left from the point of being face-on) appear concerning at all, ya think?

ETA: And does the spread seem about right for the ct weight? The girdle is just ‘thick’ vs. slight/very/extremely, so it doesn’t appear to be hiding weight there.

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Does that one dark triangle-ish area (when it’s rotating left from the point of being face-on) appear concerning at all, ya think?

ETA: And does the spread seem about right for the ct weight? The girdle is just ‘thick’ vs. slight/very/extremely, so it doesn’t appear to be hiding weight there.

Sorry, I’m not expert enough to say unfortunately.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t see any area of concern pertaining to the area you are describing. I don’t see any areas of concern, based upon the video or the stills you posted.
I believe the ASET will confirm she’s a great performer. She may have some contrast, but I doubt any leakage....

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see any area of concern pertaining to the area you are describing. I don’t see any areas of concern, based upon the video or the stills you posted.
I believe the ASET will confirm she’s a great performer. She may have some contrast, but I doubt any leakage....

Thanks so much for weighing in! I am good with (and like) contrast, so that’s positive! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to upload the plot as well, in case anyone does feel any of these inclusions will pose a problem. At VS2, and given their locations, I think they’ll be fine and it’ll be entirely eye clean, but better to have all the deets to consider, I suppose.
165AA747-2C80-4088-BC45-C4C7E92FE93A.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Inclusions are in a perfect place to be hidden to the eye. The lighting in the video is not conductive to a solid conclusion but I'm not seeing anything that screams run.
Crown height appears to be in the acceptable range.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for weighing in as well @Karl_K The location of the inclusions was a big attraction for me ... if they have to be there, best they be disguised within those crown facets.

The order has been placed to get the diamond from the supplier to the vendor who will take/provide the ASET. Will probably take a couple days to get that, but thankfully this diamond is not overseas. As soon as I have it, I will be sure to post it. :pray:

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their initial thoughts & observations. SOOOOO very much appreciated! :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those dark triangles at the bottom when the stone is tilted/rotated seem to be fairly common, from what I've seen - I'm never sure if they are windowing/leakage or if it's just the way the lighting setup and video setup interacts, so you can check it out when it arrives :)

If Karl has said there's nothing to worry about, though, I think all should be fine! :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @OoohShiny There is definitely a very slight tilt forward at the top of the diamond while seated in that diamond stand for the video, which may be skewing the face-on view & this perceived performance slightly. I noticed it when moving the diamond slightly right & left in the video at the side view.

We will just have to see what the ASET shows and what it looks like in hand when I get it. My fingers are so crossed on it that my hands are cramping up. :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have images! :appl:

I must say, I am VERY surprised that I have them already, but given the diamond was in the same state (and I assume the same city) as the vendor, it may have been easier/quicker to get them than anticipated.

I will say that the diamond does appear - in the below ‘actual’ image - more tinted than I was expecting, even for an M (which my OEC is). That may be because step cuts show more body color than rounds/MRBs/etc., or it could be somewhat environmental, I’m not sure. It just looks more tinted (almost green) than I expected an M to look. And I’m not sure yet if that level of tint is a deal breaker for me because it’s a huge pic, and I know first hand (having other ‘lower’ colored diamonds that the pics don’t always reveal what your eye sees in real life, so I’m withholding judgement there for now.

I see a LOT of red in the IS and more green than red in the ASET, but still an even distribution. I’m not seeing any major areas of (what I believe to be) leakage. A smidge obstruction with the blue. But I’m not expert ... what say ya’ll? :confused:

ETA: Those were hell & big; let’s try this view.
53884900-118E-4DA4-B4FE-5B9882B8AA79.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have images! :appl:

I must say, I am VERY surprised that I have them already, but given the diamond was in the same state (and I assume the same city) as the vendor, it may have been easier/quicker to get them than anticipated.

I will say that the diamond does appear - in the below ‘actual’ image - more tinted than I was expecting, even for an M (which my OEC is). That may be because step cuts show more body color than rounds/MRBs/etc., or it could be somewhat environmental, I’m not sure. It just looks more tinted (almost green) than I expected an M to look. And I’m not sure yet if that level of tint is a deal breaker for me because it’s a huge pic, and I know first hand (having other ‘lower’ colored diamonds that the pics don’t always reveal what your eye sees in real life, so I’m withholding judgement there for now.

I see a LOT of red in the IS and more green than red in the ASET, but still an even distribution. I’m not seeing any major areas of (what I believe to be) leakage. A smidge obstruction with the blue. But I’m not expert ... what say ya’ll? :confused:

ETA: Those were hell & big; let’s try this view.
53884900-118E-4DA4-B4FE-5B9882B8AA79.jpeg

@Karl_K, thoughts....????

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont know whats up with the green in the photo. It is just odd.
The video was not green.
The ASET shows a lot of green in the center, iv seen stones in person with an ASET like that rocked and some that didn't.
It is really inconclusive at this point.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Matthews1127 @Karl_K @Heathcat24 for weighing in. Yes, the green coloring (in the actual image) is ... odd ... especially since that wasn’t visible in the video. I just got off the phone with the vendor/salesperson, who has had his actual eyes on the diamond, and he said that it does not look ‘green’ in person, that it was probably just an environmental/camera issue or reflection. He said he could see a slight yellow tint (which I expected), but the picture does not do the diamond any favors, basically. He is going to have another picture and video taken Monday morning to send me prior to shipping it then for overnight delivery.

I think - at this point - I’m just going to have to see it with my own eyes to tell ... which sucks a bit.

Does an IS - for fancies - really tell us anything, or are they essentially pointless with fancies? Seeing this one, I would *think* ‘great’ with all that red, but maybe it’s a non-issue b/c it’s a fancy cut. I don’t know. :confused: I do remember reading an article (that I think perhaps Karl wrote on PS) about “when the IS and ASET conflict” that I may need to dig back up. I can’t recall if that was for rounds only or not.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s the line-up with the original pic they sent, which I believe was a still image/pic of the video. I had to flip it so it was in the same more vertical position as the others, but I could have it backwards/flipped wrong and this may not align.

If the color is like the first pic (still image) and video with a slight yellow tint, I am fine/happy with it. If it shows up and is green, I’m afraid that will be a no-go.
7648827E-2838-44AE-9589-4259D9E0348C.jpeg

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My W-X looks a little green under the black light, but it has faint fluorescence. (I think it's kind of cool...) Does this one have any?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My W-X looks a little green under the black light, but it has faint fluorescence. (I think it's kind of cool...) Does this one have any?

Actually, yes, it does have faint fluorescence... I forgot to mention that earlier. The GIA report is silent to what color fluoro though. I wonder if that could be causing the green appearance in the pics. :think:

ETA - if it’s faint blue fluoro & the diamond has a slight yellow tint, and yellow+blue=green, I could maybe believe that.

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could be! I thought the same thing! I hope some experts will weigh in on that. And I hope you get to see this stone in person so you can experiment! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be! I thought the same thing! I hope some experts will weigh in on that. And I hope you get to see this stone in person so you can experiment! :appl:

Thank you; I told the vendor to go ahead and ship me the stone so I should have it in-hand on Tuesday. I just need to see it with my own eyes. And if it turns out to be a dud, it will be yet another learning experience in this sometimes-frustrating diamond search and an opportunity to further refine my search criteria. Or it may be just what I want and I love it and can end the search. Time will tell ... :pray:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results