shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling All E-rings From Outside The United States

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 9:19:20 AM
Author: niks28
GLS - I think we have a similar setting.... If only I could figure out how to resize my photos I would show mine off!

Would love to see it!!! Upload upload!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 5:11:43 AM
Author: Londongirl1

I think there are people here in the uk who can afford larger diamonds but the culture here is different and it''s not all about how big your diamond is. Some women here prefer sapphires and more subtle stones.

Having said that I love my bling courtesy of my American FI. My Fi surprised me this week by saying that I can upgrade my .50 ct studs as my Christmas present - I can''t imagine my English ex coming up with that idea all by himself
9.gif

You may have a point there I gues!

notice a trend with generations too here in the UK. Most younger people have diamond rings, but a lot of older popele have gemstone e.rings. My mother''s is a 2 stone sapphire ring surrounded by tiny diamonds. A lady at work has a beautiful emerald ring. Very classic with diamonds around it. Only one girl my age at work went for somethng other than diamond and her ring is to die for.

It''s a custom made tiffany legacy style ring with aquamarine centrestone and diamond halo and set shoulders. It''s absolutely stunning and large too by comparison to my own ring. Of the people I notice at work, my diamond is actually on the larger side! Crazy because it is still onlt .33 ct.

Sensoryjunkie

Rough_Rock
In France, the tradition of the engagement ring is coming back although the "rocks" are by no means as big as those on PS! It usually is a small colored stone or at the very very max a diamond with no more than 0.25 CTW with a poor diamond quality. It is very common not to have an engagement ring. Actually I would say that a majority of married women do not wear an engagement ring.
When my husband proposed to me I didn't want an engagement ring as I didn't want to be seen as wearing a bling. But then I thought "hey it's a gift, I would be stupid to refuse a sparkling gift!"
25.gif
So now I have a 0.52 F VVS1 round diamond engagement ring with a diamond-encrusted tapered band (0.75 CTW) and it's considered like a rock in France. I live in Ireland and this size seems to be slightly on the plus size (I would say it's more around the 0.3 average).
I see bigger diamonds here in Ireland (but never more than 1.5carat) but the quality is not there with grey-ish or yellow-ish diamonds + sometimes small black dots.

Although I love looking at big rocks on PS, I don't think I will upgrade as I'm not sure if I can walk around with more $$$ on the finger that I already have
41.gif
I will be too afraid to lose a finger!!
31.gif
Or if I do upgrade that would be in no more than a carat.

bague.JPG

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2009 12:54:31 PM
Author: shimmer
Blackberry, great idea!!! This thread is awesome, thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Well, I don''t know if I should contribute as I''m just north of the border, Canada.

Where I live now, I would say the most popular erings are princess cut solitaires, in WG, 1/2 ct or less. I live in a small town in the prairies (in a Little House....lol...ETA man I hope someone gets this reference?!). When I had my 0.8 ACA I got comments such as ''Wow, that''s huge'' (from a man!) or ''you need a support to lift your hand'' haha. Now I''m going for a 1.3 cushion, so I probably won''t wear it out too much until I move to a bigger city.

I used to live in Vancouver (ETA. large-ish city on west coast) and RBs are way more popular there, the largest I saw was probably 1.5-2 ct, average about or just under 1ct (I was much younger and not too into jewelry yet). White metals are very popular.

ETA: I was recently in Banff, a resort town in the mountains and the server at a restaurant had a gorgeous 1/4-1/2 ct marquise in a very modern looking yellow-gold solitaire (Caleb Meyer-esque). I LOVED it.

Here''s my ring! 1.3 J SI1 OMC.

1.3jsi1shimmer.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/26/2009 7:35:49 PM
Author:blackberry16

I have been reading some threads recently that focused on the differences between e-rings in the United States and the rest of the world. I am interested in actually seeing the e-rings belonging to ladies who are not from the states. Please show us your ring and share the cultural differences that you see between where you are from and the US. I am excited to learn more about other people's ideas and traditions!
I do not really meet the criterion to participate in this thread since I am not, "not from the States". My fiancé, now husband, was, however "not from the States", and we were living in France when we became engaged. We also had no money. So when we bought this ring in his home town in Italy, I suspect that it was probably not too far off from what his friends had bought...but I may be mistaken. This was in 1977.

AGBF
34.gif

AGBFEngagementRingItaly.jpg

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2009 10:48:16 AM
Author: merrymunky
Date: 10/31/2009 5:11:43 AM

Author: Londongirl1

I think there are people here in the uk who can afford larger diamonds but the culture here is different and it''s not all about how big your diamond is. Some women here prefer sapphires and more subtle stones.

Having said that I love my bling courtesy of my American FI. My Fi surprised me this week by saying that I can upgrade my .50 ct studs as my Christmas present - I can''t imagine my English ex coming up with that idea all by himself
9.gif

You may have a point there I gues!

notice a trend with generations too here in the UK. Most younger people have diamond rings, but a lot of older popele have gemstone e.rings. My mother''s is a 2 stone sapphire ring surrounded by tiny diamonds. A lady at work has a beautiful emerald ring. Very classic with diamonds around it. Only one girl my age at work went for somethng other than diamond and her ring is to die for.

It''s a custom made tiffany legacy style ring with aquamarine centrestone and diamond halo and set shoulders. It''s absolutely stunning and large too by comparison to my own ring. Of the people I notice at work, my diamond is actually on the larger side! Crazy because it is still onlt .33 ct.

I think gemstones make for a very interesting ering!

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2009 10:53:46 AM
Author: Sensoryjunkie
In France, the tradition of the engagement ring is coming back although the ''rocks'' are by no means as big as those on PS! It usually is a small colored stone or at the very very max a diamond with no more than 0.25 CTW with a poor diamond quality. It is very common not to have an engagement ring. Actually I would say that a majority of married women do not wear an engagement ring.

When my husband proposed to me I didn''t want an engagement ring as I didn''t want to be seen as wearing a bling. But then I thought ''hey it''s a gift, I would be stupid to refuse a sparkling gift!''
25.gif
So now I have a 0.52 F VVS1 round diamond engagement ring with a diamond-encrusted tapered band (0.75 CTW) and it''s considered like a rock in France. I live in Ireland and this size seems to be slightly on the plus size (I would say it''s more around the 0.3 average).

I see bigger diamonds here in Ireland (but never more than 1.5carat) but the quality is not there with grey-ish or yellow-ish diamonds + sometimes small black dots.

Although I love looking at big rocks on PS, I don''t think I will upgrade as I''m not sure if I can walk around with more $$$ on the finger that I already have
41.gif
I will be too afraid to lose a finger!!
31.gif
Or if I do upgrade that would be in no more than a carat.

I think that is a beautiful ring. So can you tell us what the engagement tradition is in Ireland (if you know)?

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2009 11:39:30 AM
Date: 10/27/2009 12:54:31 PM

Blackberry, great idea!!! This thread is awesome, thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Well, I don''t know if I should contribute as I''m just north of the border, Canada.

Where I live now, I would say the most popular erings are princess cut solitaires, in WG, 1/2 ct or less. I live in a small town in the prairies (in a Little House....lol...ETA man I hope someone gets this reference?!). When I had my 0.8 ACA I got comments such as ''Wow, that''s huge'' (from a man!) or ''you need a support to lift your hand'' haha. Now I''m going for a 1.3 cushion, so I probably won''t wear it out too much until I move to a bigger city.

I used to live in Vancouver (ETA. large-ish city on west coast) and RBs are way more popular there, the largest I saw was probably 1.5-2 ct, average about or just under 1ct (I was much younger and not too into jewelry yet). White metals are very popular.

ETA: I was recently in Banff, a resort town in the mountains and the server at a restaurant had a gorgeous 1/4-1/2 ct marquise in a very modern looking yellow-gold solitaire (Caleb Meyer-esque). I LOVED it.

Here''s my ring! 1.3 J SI1 OMC.

Shimmer: I love the look of a classic set like yours!

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2009 3:59:03 AM
Author: swedish bean
So all groups of people take the subway? even really wealthy people???? So strange to me.

Maybe some spent so much money on their engagement/wedding rings that they can no longer afford the car and driver.
25.gif

All kidding aside, this thread is very interesting. I love learning about the different cultures, particularly with respect to engagements and weddings.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Blackberry,

I live in Ireland, as I''ve already posted in this thread, the majority of engagement rings in this country seem to be less than 1ct anything over that is, in my opinion, quite rare (well until I get engaged..heheheh
31.gif
). Like other countries in Europe and the US, the most common cuts tend to be either a RB or a princess. White gold and platimum seem to be more popular than yellow or rose gold.

I notice that alot of my friends don''t seem to educate themselves about diamonds, they tend to go into a jewellery store and place their faith (and €€) with the sales assistants.

I think the average spend in this country is ~€2,500 (correct me if I''m wrong, Irish PS''ers!!).

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 11:22:42 PM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 10/28/2009 2:28:26 PM

Author: justginger

A very fair question about value/cost, waterlily. Each economy seems to have things that are disproportionately more/less expensive than similar things in other economies.

Yup, Waterlily, Just Ginger and Hihowareyou are correct.

It seems to have nothing to do with exchange rates or standard pricing.

The higher cost of diamonds also goes for precious metals here.

For example, the sapphire ring (plat and diamonds) I am having made at the moment by BGD -

the average quotes from Aussie vendors for the same setting were at least 20 - 30% more expensive (and this is taking exchange rates, shipping and import tax into consideration).

Infact, a number of vendors were even ~40% more expensive than Leon Mege, who is considered one of the pricier vendors around PS
32.gif

I don''t want to even know what it would''ve cost me to buy the actual sapphire here, lol..

Infact, it costs me a small fortune to insure my US jewellery purchases - because AU Insurance Co''s insist on a local appraisal and replacement value - so there is this huge local markup that is tacked on top of my premiums, even though I will not be replacing locally if anything may happen - can''t figure that one out!

I''ve always found this disparity odd. As in, alot of the diamonds are mined in Australia, right here in Just Ginger''s and my state..I always thought that should at least lower the price a lil, right? who knows!

As long as the exchange rate stays above 75-80c, it is *always* cheaper for me to buy gems & jewellery from the US.

JG, interesting comparison of other consumer products - I did not know this (except for the cigs and beer).

Another reason to relocate to the US me thinks
31.gif

Yup Australia has a high cost of living, I about died when I went to NYC at how CHEAP everything was compared to home even with the ridc high exchange rate we had last year i.e MAC foundation in MACYS was like $32 maybe less so like $34 AUD in australia MAC foundation is close to $80, clothes are cheap (Levi''s for $20!!!!!) food is cheaper as well in the states and yes diamonds are much much cheaper, I cringe to think what my ring would have cost to buy here.

As for the size of e-rings I would say the largest I see on a daily basis is around a .25cts sometimes in a channel set band and mostly in yellow gold mostly from maul stores.

My ring is not the norm *pokes avatar* (1.37cts in a plat setting) I don''t know if my ring draws that much attn I did get some nasty comments at the start and I do get told it is beautiful often enough but I don''t really pay attention to be honest.

Link to Dee''s ring https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/deelights-new-6-claw-leon-e-ring-with-gog-diamond.99750/

swl

Shiny_Rock
I know this is about erings from outside of the states, but I also noticed something else that's very interesting in my city-Boston, MA. Many of the professors and doctors that I encountered have less than 1 carat diamond rings and often just a plain gold band (maybe they leave their huge engagement rings at home?
41.gif
) I don't know if it's because they present a kind and knowledgeable image, their smaller diamond rings look so elegant and so precious. I am sure this is a personal choice, including professionals, but this totally changed my idea of "the bigger the better"

does anyone think a smaller diamond (ring) seems to be more precious?

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2009 8:50:54 PM
Author: swl
I know this is about erings from outside of the states, but I also noticed something else that''s very interesting in my city-Boston, MA. Many of the professors and doctors that I encountered have less than 1 carat diamond rings and often just a plain gold band (maybe they leave their huge engagement rings at home?
41.gif
) I don''t know if it''s because they present a kind and knowledgeable image, their smaller diamond rings look so elegant and so precious. I am sure this is a personal choice, including professionals, but this totally changed my idea of ''the bigger the better''

does anyone think a smaller diamond (ring) seems to be more precious?
My mother is a doctor and wears small engagement ring with two little diamonds. There are a multitude of reasons why she has that ring. In Australia in the 70''s large diamonds were not popular, my father is an accountant, but also a smaller ring is more practical when constantly washing hands, putting on and removing gloves, etc. The only two rings my mother has ever worn are her wedding and engagement rings and both are understated pieces.

Sometimes I get caught up in the ''bigger is better'' line of thought but in the end a ring given out of love is the most important thing and there is something truly delicate and precious about a smaller diamond ring too.

cisforcaitlin

Rough_Rock
I think every social group has it''s own standards for behavior and personal appearance- including what type of jewelry is considered desirable. In some groups, wearing a very large diamond ring is not something that is well regarded, even among people who could afford to do so if they chose.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 10:54:38 PM
Author: blackberry16
Date: 10/29/2009 9:50:43 PM

Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 10/29/2009 9:05:07 PM

Author: blackberry16

This is true. The average diamond size in the US is only .38 carats, I think people just assume there are more large diamonds because of celebrities and the fact that many of the people who travel abroad tend to be wealthy anyway. I have a 1.11 carat diamond and I rarely see anyone with a bigger stone than mine even the affluent mothers of my students. The idea of upgrading doesn't really seem to be that popular even with in my age group (mid 20's) except among people with a real passion for diamond rings.
BB...you ain't even close
25.gif

avg in the U.S....1ct

avg PS......1.27ct

avg NYC....2.75ct

avg No.Ca & So.Ca.......2.5ct

avg in the mid west....70ct

Actually I have read several report stating the .38 data that I just shared. And I wasn't talking about any specific place in the US. Perhaps you should come up with a nice way to correct people. And since neither of us has polled every person in the country statistics are just statistics and may not be exact! I was sharing some information that I have read and some opinions of my own.

Absolutely. I've read a study that said .38. It really isn't 1.0.

I'm enjoying all the rings in this thread! Thanks, everyone!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Few extra points:

- I used to work in political fundraising and so knew some EXTREMELY wealthy people who regularly take the Tube (our subway). It''s one of the quickest ways to get around London - you can be stuck for hours in traffic here. Their wives also had quite modest bling on the whole - very disappointing!

- One reason I think Brits don''t spend a lot on rocks is that they worry about being scammed. Too much unknown in diamonds.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/1/2009 1:24:15 AM
Author: Pandora II
- One reason I think Brits don''t spend a lot on rocks is that they worry about being scammed. Too much unknown in diamonds.
I think this is the case in Australia too. The quality you get locally isn''t nearly as good as it could be, at the ''good stores'' buyers get pressured into top clarity or colour grades but never really have cut explained to them or understand what they should be looking for. At the other stores buyers have nothing explained to them and end up paying way too much for low colour/clarity and poorly cut stones.

Buying a diamond online sounds risky and sending thousands of dollars by bank wire overseas sounds similar to those Nigerian email scams to most people. I know when we told people we bought a diamond online they kind of gasped and looked at us like they were about to break the bad news to us that we''d been scammed. Someone even asked if we were expecting the package to actually be delivered
23.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Few extra points:

One reason I think Brits don''t spend a lot on rocks is that they worry about being scammed. Too much unknown in diamonds.
I agree, it''s down to knowledge of the consumer when it comes to diamonds and I see that a lot here in the UK.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have anything to add,except that this is a great thread and I hope we get more responses!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 3:00:45 AM
Author: Po10472

Few extra points:

One reason I think Brits don't spend a lot on rocks is that they worry about being scammed. Too much unknown in diamonds.
I agree, it's down to knowledge of the consumer when it comes to diamonds and I see that a lot here in the UK.
I've actually made a couple of good friends of jewellers here. I think some jewellers in the UK really enjoy talking to people about diamonds, beyond "it's big and shiny, buy it."

Two people in particular have been really generous with their time and expertise and have taught me more about diamonds, with some practical, hands on experience. Not chain stores obviously, but independent jewllers with a real passion for what they do. One man has taught me a lot about cut and evaluating stones and another, the man who made my wedding set, has taught me a lot about the benchwork that he does. I've spent a fair bit of time learning and the more I learn, the more I realise how little I know! I really appreciate their passion for the subject and willingness to share information with someone from outside the industry. (Someone poor, who doesn't buy much at that!
2.gif
)

They tend not to stock larger stones though. The happiest afternoon of my life to date was the one I spent playing amongst the stock at DBL.
3.gif

Jen

LisaLondon

Rough_Rock
This is a really interesting thread! I have an odd perspective on this because I am an American (a NYer) but I have lived outside the US for the past 13 years. I live in a wealthy area of London where large e-ring stones are not at all uncommon. There is a woman who lives near me who has something around a 15 carat ring (emerald cut, pave band). The first time I saw it, I actually moved my chair at the table so that I could watch discreetly while she ate lunch, as the sunlight STREAMED through that stone. It was like a miniature firework on her finger... anyway, I digress!!! I also lived in Amsterdam for a few years, where you almost never see big stones, or any stones for e-rings. The whole Calvinist laid back vibe of the city just frowns on anything too flashy. Even a new bicycle rather than an old beat up one, is considered uncool. Also, I spent 6 years living in South Africa, and used to see HUGE rocks there. One of my dearest older lady friends there has a 13 carat round e-ring, which is mammoth. It is the only piece of jewelry she wears, except for a watch. She''s a very elegant and striking woman, and can completely pull it off. No one wears big stones out in public in SA due to the crime, but they do in their homes. Friends in the diamond business don''t even wear diamonds in public there, or they wear very fun pave sets of stack rings instead of big rocks.

swl

Shiny_Rock
i wonder why they made the 15 carat diamond into a ring instead of a necklace?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 3:12:16 PM
Author: Lew Lew

So all groups of people take the subway? even really wealthy people???? So strange to me.

Maybe some spent so much money on their engagement/wedding rings that they can no longer afford the car and driver.
25.gif

All kidding aside, this thread is very interesting. I love learning about the different cultures, particularly with respect to engagements and weddings.

Funny story relating to the subway- my FI''s CEO (HUGE exchange in NYC) was at a group meeting with some investors and the meeting ended and one of the wealthy investors said to the CEO, ''can I hitch a ride with you?'' (he was assuming the CEO had a car waiting) so the CEO says, as he is pulling out his subway card, ''sure, I would be happy to swipe you through.'' My FI said the investor''s face was priceless.
I would only take a cab if it was super late at night for safety reason, otherwise the subway was my friend.

Also in relation to the topic at hand I am an American living in Germany, most people wear plain bands- eyeballing it I would say the few engagement rings I have seen are a half carat or less. When I go to Cartier they do not have many engagement rings displayed.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm American living with my British DH in London. I have a half carat set in white gold with side stones to total about .70ctw. I don't know many people who wear more than a plain band or a band with a single .10 diamond or less set in it. I also work in the charity sector so bling isn't a priority. I rarely wear my engagement ring. I have a few rings I rotate around - some silver ones I've made, antique engraved bands, my titanium wedding band, and my filigree platinum wedding band.

My co-workers are mostly in their 30s and 40s, partnered but not married, and have very varied tastes. There's a lot of freedom to dress how you want at my work so huge plastic rings, orange hair, and piercings are basically dress code
9.gif

Two friends recently got engaged and have chosen not to have rings until wedding bands, which will be matching bands. They don't plan to wear them much, both being doctors.

Anything goes here. I see what must be 1-2 carat asshers and emerald cuts very occasionally on the tube on people in professional dress. The yummy mummies at the cafe close to work are in eternity bands, plain bands, or maybe a diamond less than half a carat. Coloured stones are popular with the older people I see. I like riding the train, the jewellery is so varied as you go through the different parts of town. And you can almost always spot the Americans before they speak because of the huge rocks they sport!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Though I now live in NYC, I am English, and got engaged to my American fiance while living in London. The hoopla over my stone was incredible. It''s a 1.3 carat solitaire--average by Manhattan standards, tiny within my husband''s circle of friends and colleagues, but positively gargantuan to the people with whom I worked in media. They honestly thought I was getting hitched to some billionaire!

If of a consumerist bent, the average person in England is far more interested in fashion than they are jewels. Oh, and cars. It''s not uncommon to see a three-bed semi with a convertible BMW or an Audi up the driveway.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
First off I''m an American living in Okinawa Japan. My husband is stationed here. We have been here about 2 years. From what I can tell, the middle and lower class only wear simple gold rings. the upper class has diamond erings. they all seem to be solitary though. I have yet to see a local Okianwa with side stones. I would guess that most rings are under 1. carat however i think that might change. The Japanese yen use to be much lower but now it is out performing the dollar by 20% so i wouldn''t be suprized if I do start seeing larger stones. I have a .76 ct right now and I think I have a mid range stone for the other american woman living here. Though because of PS I''m in upgrade fevor and when we visit the states in 3 weeks we plan on upgrading me to 2 cts! I''m so excitied!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 4:05:22 PM
Author: sba771

Also in relation to the topic at hand I am an American living in Germany, most people wear plain bands- eyeballing it I would say the few engagement rings I have seen are a half carat or less. When I go to Cartier they do not have many engagement rings displayed.

Also, in Germany, they wear their wedding bands on the right hand...which is different from most countries where people wear them on the left hand.

Are there any other right hand wedding ring wearing countries?

Date: 10/31/2009 4:58:49 AM
Author: arjunajane

really? Can you elaborate why you find it strange?

I would have thought the above, re. taking the train as a matter of convenience and not wealth, applies pretty much everywhere - at least it does where I live in Australia, and I''m positive our worst traffic is nothing compared to NYC!

I will qualify that I''m referring to travel to work and back, not ''non-essential'' travel.

Okay, sorry for t/jacking!

Well, the area I live in there are always buses running all hours of the day (no subway or anything). But nobody I know takes them, unless they have to. FI prefers to take it to work, which I prefer him not to. I used to take the bus downtown for school... and I mostly saw average to less than.. average people. That''s all. I guess I am surprised. I didn''t mean to offend anyone by what I said either.

Tree9

Rough_Rock
I'm American living on Long Island but my fiancee is a New Zealander and had my ring made in NZ by the jeweler who made his mother and sister's engagement rings. I wanted an Asscher and it was not an easy find. Although I have one of the smallest center stones in our New York group of friends, I also have one of the only custom made and original rings of our group.

Here's my ring.

Center - .88 ct Asscher G VSI
Sides - .24 trillian
5 one point stones pave set down each side
1.22 total carat weight.

n595651918_919141_1785.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results