shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling All E-rings From Outside The United States

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
SapphireLover, you are my fellow Londoner! :) I am curious, where do you live now?

I am half Jewish and totally agree that Jewish women, especially from N London, tend to have bigger rings. As you say, many families are in the jewellery business, or at least know someone who is. You see it all at Jewish weddings! On the one hand 1ct is the (desired) engagement ring norm, but I was trying to think about London''s wider population, and not to mention other UK cities and towns. When I am on the tube (subway), it seems most women have under 1ct, although you do see honkers sometimes, like you said. I look too! I really try to be discreet, but how discreet is it to stare at someone''s hand?

It''s such a shame that the majority of couples still buy from the likes of Ernest Jones, Goldsmith''s etc, as they are so overpriced and sell poor, poor quality. I don''t know anyone with a gemstone engagement ring, but as you rightly point out, it really depends where you live.

Oh by the way, your ring is gorgeous! Can I have a link to more photos please?

dinamit

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the UK. Generally speaking in my experience, engagement rings here are on the small side.

If you go to a jewellers shop, the majority of diamond solitaires are in the .25 - .50 ct range.

My own ring is a .33 centre RB diamond with diamond set channel shoulders. It is very modest by PS standards, but I often get comments about it being an impressive ring/a rock etc.

It really depends where you are from and how well off you are though. I do a spot of babysitting for extra cash and the family I sit for are very comfortable financially. Her engagement ring is definitely a rock by my standards. It looks over a carat, possibly even 1.5. It's HUGE and I love it!! Makes mine look tiny.

Here's my ring. It may be small but I am in love with it!

ukengagementring1.jpg

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/29/2009 10:22:38 AM
Author: musey
Date: 10/29/2009 7:04:32 AM

Author: mrs k

Just from reading this forum, I can tell that American''s like their rocks huge
21.gif

Correction: many people on this forum like their rocks huge. The average engagement ring in the US is well under a carat, where you don''t generally see larger stones (1ct +) until you get to more populous towns/cities.

This is a forum geared toward jewelry lovers: of course the size of diamond will be larger than average. Even still, the ''census'' done somewhat recently showed that the average PS engagement diamond was not as large as one might think from thumbing through SMTR. I don''t remember the exact size but I would encourage you to look at those threads if you''re interested - they''re quite illuminating!

This is true. The average diamond size in the US is only .38 carats, I think people just assume there are more large diamonds because of celebrities and the fact that many of the people who travel abroad tend to be wealthy anyway. I have a 1.11 carat diamond and I rarely see anyone with a bigger stone than mine even the affluent mothers of my students. The idea of upgrading doesn''t really seem to be that popular even with in my age group (mid 20''s) except among people with a real passion for diamond rings.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 10:22:38 AM
Author: musey

Date: 10/29/2009 7:04:32 AM
Author: mrs k

Just from reading this forum, I can tell that American''s like their rocks huge
21.gif
Correction: many people on this forum like their rocks huge. The average engagement ring in the US is well under a carat, where you don''t generally see larger stones (1ct +) until you get to more populous towns/cities.

This is a forum geared toward jewelry lovers: of course the size of diamond will be larger than average. Even still, the ''census'' done somewhat recently showed that the average PS engagement diamond was not as large as one might think from thumbing through SMTR. I don''t remember the exact size but I would encourage you to look at those threads if you''re interested - they''re quite illuminating!
1.27 ct
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 9:05:07 PM
Author: blackberry16

This is true. The average diamond size in the US is only .38 carats, I think people just assume there are more large diamonds because of celebrities and the fact that many of the people who travel abroad tend to be wealthy anyway. I have a 1.11 carat diamond and I rarely see anyone with a bigger stone than mine even the affluent mothers of my students. The idea of upgrading doesn''t really seem to be that popular even with in my age group (mid 20''s) except among people with a real passion for diamond rings.
BB...you ain''t even close
25.gif

avg in the U.S....1ct
avg PS......1.27ct
avg NYC....2.75ct
avg No.Ca & So.Ca.......2.5ct
avg in the mid west....70ct

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/29/2009 9:50:43 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

25.gif

avg in the U.S....1ct

avg PS......1.27ct

avg NYC....2.75ct

Actually I have read several report stating the .38 data that I just shared. And I wasn''t talking about any specific place in the US. Perhaps you should come up with a nice way to correct people. And since neither of us has polled every person in the country statistics are just statistics and may not be exact! I was sharing some information that I have read and some opinions of my own.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Another English offering.

Circa 1992
Stone: Golden topaz diamond pavé halo.

Gailey e ring 02.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 10:54:38 PM

Actually I have read several report stating the .38 data that I just shared. And I wasn't talking about any specific place in the US. Perhaps you should come up with a nice way to correct people. And since neither of us has polled every person in the country statistics are just statistics and may not be exact! I was sharing some information that I have read and some opinions of my own.

Your number is probably more accurate than DFs, blackberry. When DF provides data, ALWAYS ask to see his sources.
2.gif

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/29/2009 11:50:56 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 10/29/2009 10:54:38 PM

Actually I have read several report stating the .38 data that I just shared. And I wasn''t talking about any specific place in the US. Perhaps you should come up with a nice way to correct people. And since neither of us has polled every person in the country statistics are just statistics and may not be exact! I was sharing some information that I have read and some opinions of my own.

Your number is probably more accurate than DFs, blackberry. When DF provides data, ALWAYS ask to see his sources.
2.gif
Thanks EBree

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/29/2009 11:39:25 PM
Author: Gailey
Another English offering.

Circa 1992

Stone: Golden topaz diamond pavé halo.

Wow that looks like a really cool ring. Do you have more pictures to share?

Yamanouchi

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 3:42:10 AM
Author: AdiS
Date: 10/28/2009 5:04:55 AM

Author: Yamanouchi

Date: 10/27/2009 2:43:02 PM

Author: AdiS

Date: 10/27/2009 1:43:11 PM

Thank you so much, AdiS!! Would happily post more pics if anyone''s interested
2.gif

I too love that ring in your avatar!! Could you link me to its thread?? Love to see more pics of it..

Well sure, here you go: linky

And yes, do post more pics please!

You know, I loved learning more about Egypt''s engagement traditions. I''m very partial to Egypt since i spent my honeymoon there. Beautiful country!

Lovely ring AdiS!! Thanks for the link
1.gif

I''m very happy that you found my post interesting.. Many thanks for the support on my very first pricescope experience!!

You got me all excited.. Maybe I''ll start a thread with pics of my band soon
9.gif

Yaay!! I''m glad you liked your trip to Egypt!! What places have you been too?? Any favourites?? Shame we haven''t met earlier, maybe I could''ve been of any help.. I guess maybe next time
2.gif

You''re welcome! And you should definitely start a thread!

I''ve been to Hurghada, Luxor, Valley of the Kings and this gorgeous little island near Hurghada that was possibly my favourite. I''m planning on visiting again maybe next year so I could use your input then!

Sorry for the off topic, blackberry!

That would be really exciting!! Would love to be of assistance..
Apologies for going off-topic again, blackberry.. Last time I promise
17.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the UK and I believe that the average size diamond e-ring is about .25ct. I guess that if we could get more bling for our pound then larger size stones would be more popular.

My e-ring is over 1ct but that's only because I have an American FI who would only buy from the US :bigsmile:]

Yamanouchi

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 7:57:18 AM
Date: 10/27/2009 9:45:56 AM

Hi,

My name is Yomna, and I''m from Cairo, Egypt. I LOVE this site!! Been lurking for a couple of weeks, finally registered today.

Thank you blackberry for starting this thread!! It''s really interesting knowing the customs of each country.. Well, I am recently engaged and this is how things work around here..

The engagement starts by exchanging wedding bands called a ''dibla'' which would be traditionally yellow gold for the ladies, and silver for gents (it is not common for men to wear gold, for religious reasons).. The dibla could be plain or patterned, and usually engraved on the inside by the spouse''s name and engagement date..

During the engagement period the dibla is worn on the right hand.. After the wedding it is transferred to the left hand, indicating the couple is now officially married..

After exchanging diblas (commonly during or right after the engagement party, comes the ''shabka'' which is a gift given by the groom to his bride, in which she chooses freely what she desires within her fiance''s budget.. Usually it consists of a diamond ring and band.. And of course the ranges are wide depending on the groom''s social and financial status.. But for the middle class, it is around 0.5-1 carat..

I like things on the fancier edge(compared to the local standards) so I picked a Cartier ring..

I''ll try to attach a pic now.. Thanks for letting me share
1.gif

Wow that is such an interesting tradition! Thanks so much for sharing.

My pleasure..
1.gif

niks28

Rough_Rock
GLS - I think we have a similar setting.... If only I could figure out how to resize my photos I would show mine off!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really, the average size in Ca is 2.5? I have lived in CA all my life and I have rarely seen others with stones that large. Granted, my upgrade recently hit that mark but no on I know has a ring that size. I have
one friend who has a approx 2 ct but that is it. Interesting.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

25.gif

avg in the U.S....1ct

avg PS......1.27ct

avg NYC....2.75ct

I also wonder for NYC. While I''m sure this number is true of upper middle class and upper class people (is there still a middle class in NYC, anyway?) NYC also has a huge working class and below the poverty line population. I see a couple big rocks (1.5 carat and up, probably) on the subway or on the street in a week, but most of the stones I see have to be closer to under .5 carat. Maybe its just where I live *shrug*.

blondie

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the UK, but I have a passion for bling (!) My diamond is 1.71 carats and it by far the biggest amongst all my friends/colleagues etc. People do comment on my set, but most seem bewildered by my interest in jewellery
20.gif
Oh well! At least I fit in around here!!!!
25.gif
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2009 12:01:09 PM
Author: Cosmo gal
Hi all!
I've lived in many different cities and I can tell you that in Japan, people usually get below 1 carat but they really LOVE branded diamonds like Tiffany etc. Diamonds are also very expensive too.

In South Korea, under 1 carat is common and many girls dream of getting 1 carat. I have friends who have gotten 1.5 carat and they are considered very big. The general population does not know much about diamonds and in the market, you will see many stones with high color but SI1-SI2 level clarity.

I now live in Hong Kong... and HK is VERY different from other Asian cities. There are many more rich people here who also LOVE to show that. (you see Bentleys and Ferraris all the time). My friends have 2-3 carat rings and there are multiple jewelry shops on almost all major streets showing 5+ or even 10+ carats rings. On streets, easy to see people with HUGE ring (so my 2.65 ct stone seems a bit small =). HK is similar to NY in that way.
I absolutely agree with everything you said there. It's mind-boggling the weath that you see on a day-to-day basis in HK. I first developed DSS while living in HK (go figure ,LOL!). My orginal engagement ring is a 1-ct and I thought it was huge, until saw the MONSTROUS honkers on the hands on the HK ladies. I still remember to this day that our receptionist (HK girl) wore more bling than any of us female professionals (all expats)! You're right also, Cosmo gal, about the number of luxury cars on the streets in HK. OMG!! The place just DRIPS with money!!!! When I was in HK last weekend, I wondered if Hongkongers felt or even thought about the recession, as there's no sign of any recession there.

Singapore is not that far off behind in terms of bigger bling. Granted a lot of Singaporean female professionals/ office workers tend to wear more discrete/ more moderately-sized erings and/ or earrings (except for this one young female banker I saw a couple of years ago who wore easily a 4ct ering- I'd guess a banker since I saw her coming out of a building that houses a lot of banks and some audit firms, but being an auditor myself, I know too well that most auditors do not get paid well at all). But you go to any large fancy parties or even walk down the main shopping centres (Paragon, Ion, etc) and you see all these taitai's sporting 5ct plus - easily!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree too that a lot of UK women tend to wear smaller erings. I think Brits tend to spend more money on other things like going out, dressing up etc (at least that''s what I observed whilst I lived there). I myself was not at all adorned whilst I lived there.

Having said that though, one of my sisters and her daughters wear larger erings (2ct and above). I do wonder about their safety since for sure the bling does attract a lot of attention.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such an interesting thread.

My mum and dad were both born/raised in S. India. When they got married, they exchanged plain gold rings and my mum was given a toering spiral and her thali, a high-karat (I think hers is actually 24k, not the usual 22) chain with two sets of 'charms' that the bride's and groom's families buy. The charms indicate marriage status, religious sect, and caste to those who know what they are looking for. She lost her w. ring recently and it wasn't a big deal, but if she lost part of her thali she'd be absolutely heartbroken. It's all gold and has a specific number of charms, so no room for Shrinkage Syndrome
31.gif

I was born in S. India too but I grew up in NZ., so many of the family customs are new experiences for me - especially marriage rituals! My FI is Jewish, we went the traditional American E-ring route and I will wear a plain unbroken metal w. ring as per Jewish tradition. I will also wear a thali, though I don't think I'll be as good as my mum about never, ever taking it off...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a Brit (and grew up in London). I agree that the average engagement ring in the UK is around .5ct and probably the most popular are diamond solitaires, diamond clusters, rubies or sapphires. It's unusual to see anything other than that. If you do, it's because you've probably found a fellow blingster!

So, what's my engagement ring? Well, take your pick from my collection! My husband isn't from the UK and in his country it's tradition just to have gold bands that are given for the engagement and then used as wedding rings later on. Now, for me, a committed blingaholic, that has its downsides BUT I soon realised that actually all this meant was that I kept getting hubby to add to my collection of rings and now can wear a different one each day and co-ordinate with what I'm wearing!

One big difference I've noticed between the US and the UK is that in the UK it's very rare for somebody to upgrade their engagement ring unless they've lost the original or a stone has fallen out etc.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 9:45:42 AM
Author: luv2sparkle
Really, the average size in Ca is 2.5? I have lived in CA all my life and I have rarely seen others with stones that large. Granted, my upgrade recently hit that mark but no on I know has a ring that size. I have

The average in CA isn't 2.5 cts, nor is it 2.75 in NYC. In certain areas of Manhattan, maybe, but not the entire city or state. These are Dancing Fire's guesses, not fact.

(DF, you've got to start providing accurate data because people are taking your guesses as truth.
41.gif
)

Date: 10/30/2009 9:54:16 AM
Author: Novel

This is true. The average diamond size in the US is only .38 carats, I think people just assume there are more large diamonds because of celebrities and the fact that many of the people who travel abroad tend to be wealthy anyway. I have a 1.11 carat diamond and I rarely see anyone with a bigger stone than mine even the affluent mothers of my students. The idea of upgrading doesn't really seem to be that popular even with in my age group (mid 20's) except among people with a real passion for diamond rings.
BB...you ain't even close
25.gif

avg in the U.S....1ct

avg PS......1.27ct

avg NYC....2.75ct

I also wonder for NYC. While I'm sure this number is true of upper middle class and upper class people (is there still a middle class in NYC, anyway?) NYC also has a huge working class and below the poverty line population. I see a couple big rocks (1.5 carat and up, probably) on the subway or on the street in a week, but most of the stones I see have to be closer to under .5 carat. Maybe its just where I live *shrug*.

Well, I doubt people that have those larger "rocks" need to take the subway. Just because the area you (or whoever) lives in doesn't SEEM like that's an average there, doesn't make it so. I see most of the people are talking about who they are surrounded by, than their country on a whole. It's like me say, "YEAH US midwesterners, we all have huge diamonds... mostly in the 2 carat range... I mean, my friends would not be caught dead in anything less." Well, that's just ME and the people I'm around. Not the mid-west. Make sense?
4.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
This is a very interesting thread. While I''m an american, i did notice that in Europe, diamonds aren''t even the norm. When I was in Spain, most people only wore simple gold bands. Same thing in Austria, Germany and Italy. In the UK, I did notice more diamonds rings, but it still didn''t seem to be the norm. At least when comparing to the States.

Novell- I''m with you, doubt that''s the average in nyc or anywhere in the country.

Swedishbean- in nyc, taking the subway is a convenience. During rush hour, it''s faster than a cab. Doesn''t have anything to do with diamond size here.

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
Swedishbean- in nyc, taking the subway is a convenience. During rush hour, it''s faster than a cab. Doesn''t have anything to do with diamond size here.

elle

Ditto this- I live in NYC and you see all sizes on the subway. My favorite is riding the bus on the Upper East side! The jewelry and bags are TDF!

Sorry for the threadjack! I''m loving hearing about the traditions all over the world!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 4:39:48 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 10/30/2009 9:45:42 AM
Author: luv2sparkle

The average in CA isn''t 2.5 cts, nor is it 2.75 in NYC. In certain areas of Manhattan, maybe, but not the entire city or state. These are Dancing Fire''s guesses, not fact.

(DF, you''ve got to start providing accurate data because people are taking your guesses as truth.
41.gif
)
EBree
i didn''t say the "whole" state of Ca. i said....No. Cal and So. Cal
2.gif
yes, i meant Manhattan not the entire state of NY.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I think the thread/article everyone is talking about is this one.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/average-engagement-ring-size-article-2008.80797/

The average engagement ring size is .38. Who would have guessed?

So all groups of people take the subway? even really wealthy people???? So strange to me.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 3:59:03 AM
Author: swedish bean
So all groups of people take the subway? even really wealthy people???? So strange to me.

really? Can you elaborate why you find it strange?
I would have thought the above, re. taking the train as a matter of convenience and not wealth, applies pretty much everywhere - at least it does where I live in Australia, and I''m positive our worst traffic is nothing compared to NYC!

I will qualify that I''m referring to travel to work and back, not "non-essential" travel.

Okay, sorry for t/jacking!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 6:40:06 PM
Author: merrymunky
I''m in the UK. Generally speaking in my experience, engagement rings here are on the small side.

If you go to a jewellers shop, the majority of diamond solitaires are in the .25 - .50 ct range.

My own ring is a .33 centre RB diamond with diamond set channel shoulders. It is very modest by PS standards, but I often get comments about it being an impressive ring/a rock etc.

It really depends where you are from and how well off you are though. I do a spot of babysitting for extra cash and the family I sit for are very comfortable financially. Her engagement ring is definitely a rock by my standards. It looks over a carat, possibly even 1.5. It''s HUGE and I love it!! Makes mine look tiny.

Here''s my ring. It may be small but I am in love with it!
I think there are people here in the uk who can afford larger diamonds but the culture here is different and it''s not all about how big your diamond is. Some women here prefer sapphires and more subtle stones.

Having said that I love my bling courtesy of my American FI. My Fi surprised me this week by saying that I can upgrade my .50 ct studs as my Christmas present - I can''t imagine my English ex coming up with that idea all by himself
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results