shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling All E-rings From Outside The United States

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have been reading some threads recently that focused on the differences between e-rings in the United States and the rest of the world. I am interested in actually seeing the e-rings belonging to ladies who are not from the states. Please show us your ring and share the cultural differences that you see between where you are from and the US. I am excited to learn more about other people''s ideas and traditions!

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Let me also ask you to share what shape of diamond is most popular and maybe what type/color of metal is most commonly used. Thanks!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
This could be interesting.
This is my (future) ering. It''s a 0.73 M SI1 pear with 0.18 each H oval sides and I live in New Zealand.

As for trends over here, my ring would definatly be on the larger and more unusual side. I would estimate the average size to be about a 1/4 ct max, mostly round brilliants and some princess cuts. WG settings are currently more ''in'' for erings but there are still alot of yg settings round. A lot of simple settings.

I realy don''t think a big erings is much of a priority for most New Zealanders. You don''t see many (or any) over 1ct rocks except in jewlery store windows with huge pricetags.

peachypearperfume1.jpg

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/26/2009 9:33:56 PM
Author: 4ever

This is my (future) ering. It''s a 0.73 M SI1 pear with 0.18 each H oval sides and I live in New Zealand.

As for trends over here, my ring would definatly be on the larger and more unusual side. I would estimate the average size to be about a 1/4 ct max, mostly round brilliants and some princess cuts. WG settings are currently more ''in'' for erings but there are still alot of yg settings round. A lot of simple settings.

I realy don''t think a big erings is much of a priority for most New Zealanders. You don''t see many (or any) over 1ct rocks except in jewlery store windows with huge pricetags.

Thanks for the reply 4ever! The ring is beautiful can''t wait to see it on your hand!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
As for trends over here, my ring would definatly be on the larger and more unusual side. I would estimate the average size to be about a 1/4 ct max, mostly round brilliants and some princess cuts. WG settings are currently more 'in' for erings but there are still alot of yg settings round. A lot of simple settings.

I realy don't think a big erings is much of a priority for most New Zealanders. You don't see many (or any) over 1ct rocks except in jewlery store windows with huge pricetags.
I definitely agree with this. When I traveled around NZ last year I felt a bit self-conscious about my wedding set (center stone just under 2ct, thin eternity wedding band). I saw hardly any diamonds at all... most women had gold or wg/plat wedding bands that were engraved or carved in interesting shapes. Most of the diamonds I saw were under 1/2ct. solitaires or burnished into the bands.

This will be a very interesting thread!!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
This is such an interesting thread! I hope we get more replies.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

4ever I really really like your ering. LOVE the oval sides that are set E/W, don''t think I''ve ever seen that in sidestones before.

Hope this thread gets alot of responses!!

gls

Shiny_Rock
I''m from australia, I think that we are a lot like new zealand. There are sooooo many RB in simple tiffany-style setting, I personally like that type of setting but dont love it maybe its because its so common.
If you arent a RB person then the next choice in cut would be princess. Other than that there isnt much out there and you have to pay top dollar for them.
I happened to find a gorgeous little oval that I fell in love with, I often get asked what type of cut it is, well like duh its an oval shape!.
Originally Fi and I wanted a cushion cut but they are supa-dupa rare and with things that are rare price goes up
38.gif
. We are getting into the online US market and will be buying our wedding bands from the US to save costs (!) and maybe later in the future a cushion cut from the US.
This is not to say that there arent unique styles in australia, I personally love the works from Australian jewellers Canturi and Cerrone, but they were way out of our budget. We also have stores like tiffanys, cartier, bulgari here and there is an endless supply of jewellers that make custom designs for customers.
I hope this helps answer your question! I have attached a picture of my oval, its nothing unique in terms of setting but is in terms of cut!

gls

Shiny_Rock
and heres the pic, sorry

gls21.jpg

nellen

Rough_Rock
I''m from the Scandinavia and here in Finland it has been traditional for the happy engaged couple to buy matching solid metal rings and go ring shopping together to decide what ring profile, material and finish suits them both. The thought that the man should have a ring ready when proposing is considered very romantic and almost unattainable. In most cases the couple shops the rings together compromising on their preferences to find a suitable matching set. Yellow gold has been the prominant material for the rings but white gold has gained popularity among the young people. Titanium is also popular due to its inexpensive price and durability.

The woman''s wedding ring can have diamonds but usually they are small, on the 0.25 to the 0.1 carat scale or even smaller even if they are solitaires. RB''s are the most popular, princesses come the second. I have never seen cushions, radiants, asschers or emeralds here in Finland. It is very unusual for an ordinary couple not having a vast fortune to have diamond ring/s. Maybe that is why some people here think my ring and its diamond is very big although my cushion center is just 0.4 carats and in my opinion not particularly big or enormous. Click here for a picture of my ring. It is yellow gold with white gold prongs, light blue diamonds scattered unevenly and a knife-edge profile. My future husband and I are not particularly wealthy but I insisted on having a diamond ring made, even a small one. I also financed it partly because I really wanted to have something that is unique and different from the usual stuff seen in women''s fingers here.

In the beginning I said it has been traditional for the couple to have matching rings but the trend seems to be headed for the American style proposal with the ring ready and with the ring having diamonds. I''m now beginning to see more diamond solitaires and other diamond rings. But still diamonds are frowned upon because to some they imply that persons carrying diamonds are a bit snobbish, wealthy people who do not mix with the commoners. Of course this is ridiculous but envy is almost always the root of this kind of thinking. It must be the Finnish and Lutheran way of thinking that modesty is the best way and anything that is a bit out of the ordinary and more on the flamboyant side is bragging, frankly .

Well, I''m definately not bragging, I just wanted to have something beautiful, unique and long-lasting in my finger.

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
Nellen, your ring is beautiful. And, what is that on your profile pic?

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I live in the UK and I have just over a carat RB solitaire. To most people my ring in considered to be a huge rock, however I live in a very small and very affluent village and there are a number of (older well to do) ladies with very tasteful pieces that overshadow mine. I also think that in some jewellry stores we are now seeing stones on the larger side ie up around the 2ct mark and definitely think we are gradually being more influenced by the American way - hurrah! My dream is something around that size eventually

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_0498-123.jpg

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am also from Australia.

Engagement rings are popular here but large diamonds are not so much. Most rings I''ve seen are below 0.5ct and retail prices here are very high. Mine is kind of unusual since it is an OMC, most stores here only carry round brilliants and princess cuts.

PreviewScreenSnapz110.jpg

nellen

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 7:59:30 AM
Author: Rose-E
Nellen, your ring is beautiful. And, what is that on your profile pic?
Thank you, I already have plans on upgrading the diamond. The avatar is a fennec fox cub which reminds me of my dog who also has gigantic ears
9.gif

Yamanouchi

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My name is Yomna, and I''m from Cairo, Egypt. I LOVE this site!! Been lurking for a couple of weeks, finally registered today.

Thank you blackberry for starting this thread!! It''s really interesting knowing the customs of each country.. Well, I am recently engaged and this is how things work around here..

The engagement starts by exchanging wedding bands called a "dibla" which would be traditionally yellow gold for the ladies, and silver for gents (it is not common for men to wear gold, for religious reasons).. The dibla could be plain or patterned, and usually engraved on the inside by the spouse''s name and engagement date..
During the engagement period the dibla is worn on the right hand.. After the wedding it is transferred to the left hand, indicating the couple is now officially married..

After exchanging diblas (commonly during or right after the engagement party, comes the "shabka" which is a gift given by the groom to his bride, in which she chooses freely what she desires within her fiance''s budget.. Usually it consists of a diamond ring and band.. And of course the ranges are wide depending on the groom''s social and financial status.. But for the middle class, it is around 0.5-1 carat..

I like things on the fancier edge(compared to the local standards) so I picked a Cartier ring..
I''ll try to attach a pic now.. Thanks for letting me share
1.gif

CIMG0846.JPG

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I really love this thread! Not just for the eye candy (but really, who isn''t drooling over these beauties?), but because it''s so interesting to see the cultural differences in engagement rings.

I have a slightly OT story that this thread reminds me of:

I have an antique ring in terrible need of repair. The diamond is itsy-bitsy (.20) but a real showstopper! I bring it in to a reputable jeweler to be appraised and reset into a new micro-pave band with a halo. He tells me the band is very delicate, and the ring will have a very small carat weight (.40 in total). I assure him I''m not worried about how big it is, but whether it''s going to be a beautiful ring. He immediately looks at me and says, "you are the first woman in here today to ask for a smaller ring."
40.gif

It does beg to be asked, though, after seeing these European e-rings, whether American women are more materialistic or "getting more bang for their buck." And before one of my fellow Americans eats me alive for that comment, I should explain that I mean nothing cruel in it. I just wonder if we''re hot-wired to want something bigger, better, more showy?

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Yamanouchi, I love that band!
30.gif

Cosmo gal

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
I've lived in many different cities and I can tell you that in Japan, people usually get below 1 carat but they really LOVE branded diamonds like Tiffany etc. Diamonds are also very expensive too.

In South Korea, under 1 carat is common and many girls dream of getting 1 carat. I have friends who have gotten 1.5 carat and they are considered very big. The general population does not know much about diamonds and in the market, you will see many stones with high color but SI1-SI2 level clarity.

I now live in Hong Kong... and HK is VERY different from other Asian cities. There are many more rich people here who also LOVE to show that. (you see Bentleys and Ferraris all the time). My friends have 2-3 carat rings and there are multiple jewelry shops on almost all major streets showing 5+ or even 10+ carats rings. On streets, easy to see people with HUGE ring (so my 2.65 ct stone seems a bit small =). HK is similar to NY in that way.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 10:03:41 AM
Author: DearBuddha
Wow, I really love this thread! Not just for the eye candy (but really, who isn't drooling over these beauties?), but because it's so interesting to see the cultural differences in engagement rings.

I have a slightly OT story that this thread reminds me of:

I have an antique ring in terrible need of repair. The diamond is itsy-bitsy (.20) but a real showstopper! I bring it in to a reputable jeweler to be appraised and reset into a new micro-pave band with a halo. He tells me the band is very delicate, and the ring will have a very small carat weight (.40 in total). I assure him I'm not worried about how big it is, but whether it's going to be a beautiful ring. He immediately looks at me and says, 'you are the first woman in here today to ask for a smaller ring.'
40.gif

It does beg to be asked, though, after seeing these European e-rings, whether American women are more materialistic or 'getting more bang for their buck.' And before one of my fellow Americans eats me alive for that comment, I should explain that I mean nothing cruel in it. I just wonder if we're hot-wired to want something bigger, better, more showy?
I completely agree about the bigger and better in America. I am American but have travelled through Europe a few times and the caribbean (independently no all inclusives), and the general sense I get from people who I have met there, both locals and travellers as well, is that everything in America is bigger and better. Our cars, our people, our houses, our portions, etc...I went into a McDonalds in France for their free wifi and the largest frozen slurry drink was smaller than the smallest one I have seen here. Also, the American economy is so built up on consumer spending, that of course all the marketing and mentality is getting people to keep completely upgrading everything they have way before the life of that product is over.

This is probably the best thread I have seen. I truly love hearing about how people all over the world do traditions.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Blackberry, great idea!!! This thread is awesome, thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Well, I don't know if I should contribute as I'm just north of the border, Canada.

Where I live now, I would say the most popular erings are princess cut solitaires, in WG, 1/2 ct or less. I live in a small town in the prairies (in a Little House....lol...ETA man I hope someone gets this reference?!). When I had my 0.8 ACA I got comments such as 'Wow, that's huge' (from a man!) or 'you need a support to lift your hand' haha. Now I'm going for a 1.3 cushion, so I probably won't wear it out too much until I move to a bigger city.

I used to live in Vancouver (ETA. large-ish city on west coast) and RBs are way more popular there, the largest I saw was probably 1.5-2 ct, average about or just under 1ct (I was much younger and not too into jewelry yet). White metals are very popular.

ETA: I was recently in Banff, a resort town in the mountains and the server at a restaurant had a gorgeous 1/4-1/2 ct marquise in a very modern looking yellow-gold solitaire (Caleb Meyer-esque). I LOVED it.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2009 12:01:09 PM
Author: Cosmo gal
Hi all!

I''ve lived in many different cities and I can tell you that in Japan, people usually get below 1 carat but they really LOVE branded diamonds like Tiffany etc. Diamonds are also very expensive too.

In South Korea, under 1 carat is common and many girls dream of getting 1 carat. I have friends who have gotten 1.5 carat and they are considered very big. The general population does not know much about diamonds and in the market, you will see many stones with high color but SI1-SI2 level clarity.

I now live in Hong Kong... and HK is VERY different from other Asian cities. There are many more rich people here who also LOVE to show that. (you see Bentleys and Ferraris all the time). My friends have 2-3 carat rings and there are multiple jewelry shops on almost all major streets showing 5+ or even 10+ carats rings. On streets, easy to see people with HUGE ring (so my 2.65 ct stone seems a bit small =). HK is similar to NY in that way.

Cosmo, that''s interesting about South Korea. I was there last year for a wedding and the bride did not have an ering yet (but I think they were planning on getting one after as they were asking me for tips). Is this common there? They got married with plain bands.

Yamanouchi

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, AdiS!! Would happily post more pics if anyone''s interested
2.gif

I too love that ring in your avatar!! Could you link me to its thread?? Love to see more pics of it..

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 12:23:21 PM
Author: nkarma
I am American but have travelled through Europe a few times and the caribbean (independently no all inclusives), and the general sense I get from people who I have met there, both locals and travellers as well, is that everything in America is bigger and better.

I found this to be true, as well. The sizing of everything in foreign countries always surprises me; I''m just so used to excess, even if I don''t always want as much as I receive.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Cool. cool topic blackberry. I''m from Australia originally and I get engaged with a .3ct yg solitaire. I remember it was about $2400 12 years ago. People I worked with called it a ''huge rock''. They weren''t being sarcastic either :)

I moved to America 7 years ago, and found PS. Well you can imagine what happened... I currently have a 2ct RB from WF, (Click here) and I was thinking of upgrading to a 3ct, but reading this thread has reminded me that it doesn''t need to be ginormous to be beautiful. Not that a 3ct isn''t beautiful of course! But sometimes I forget why I''m upgrading, it just seems the thing to do!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 1:43:11 PM
Author: Yamanouchi
Thank you so much, AdiS!! Would happily post more pics if anyone''s interested
2.gif

I too love that ring in your avatar!! Could you link me to its thread?? Love to see more pics of it..
Well sure, here you go: linky

And yes, do post more pics please!

You know, I loved learning more about Egypt''s engagement traditions. I''m very partial to Egypt since i spent my honeymoon there. Beautiful country!

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

Firstly, I just want to say how I am sooooo addicted to pricescope
36.gif
36.gif
. I''m not engaged but have a new found fascination with all things bling! I received my first piece of diamond jewellery (a ring, RB''s and baguettes in WG, slightly greater than .5 TCW) about 2 years ago and it is, hands down, my absolute favourite thing I own!!
30.gif

I live in Dublin, Ireland and it is very rare that an engagement ring would be greater than 1 ct, mainly due to the fact that diamonds are waaaaaaaay over-priced here. A ring with greater than 1 ct of diamonds is considered ''a rock''. In fact, I know someone who has a solitare which is just over the 1ct mark and is constantly getting comments like, ''what a rock....ye must be loaded'' or ''you''d never think we are in a recession with a diamond like that''
38.gif
38.gif
!! People can be quite rude and offensive, it''s total jealously on their part. Plain and simple.

K

Ps. am lovin'' all the bling on this thread, keep ''em comin'' ladies

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, great thread... I'll add a little bit of my experience too...

I've lived in China, Australia and now the US and here's what I've noticed:
1. China - while the wedding tradition is still to give 24K gold jewelry, more and more young couples are buying diamond engagement rings; partly because of marketing and I think partly because some of the gold jewelry is really not designed to be worn everyday (e.g. very bulky). For most couples, the diamonds are on the smaller side and usually of very high colour and clarity. I've not found any forums like PS where cut gets much discussion, and since I've not tried to buy any diamonds in China, I don't know the quality of the cuts. The interesting thing is sometimes, the ring is given as part of the engagement, but the ladies do not wear them, instead, they are stored safely at home (a real shame if you ask me
3.gif
).
2. Oz - I agree with the other Aussies that diamonds are usually not huge and setting designs are generally simple. While I've seen some really interesting designs, I've not seen many different diamond shapes.
3. US - Love the stuff folks show here on PS, some of them are beautiful but way too big for my fingers, so I will just admire them from afar
30.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably my favorite thread in a long time! Keep writing!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I am loving this thread, thanks for starting it Blackberry! Are you in the US? It''s been really interesting to read about the preferences and the traditions in different countries, but also to see how international Pricescope is! I always wondered about that. I found a lot of truth in everyone''s comments; eg, I have a friend in NZ who wears a wide white gold band with diamonds burnished into it, just like Musey said.

I''ve lived in London, UK, for more than half of my life. We already had some input on the UK from Samantha, and I would say that to most women a 1ct ring is considered very desirable here. If you have one, it''s something to show off and be proud of. This of course varies on the social circle you are in, however the living costs in London are SO high, that people don''t have much disposable income. People in the US have a better standard of life than in the UK, which shows in bigger houses, cars, diamonds etc.; there is a reason why it was dubbed ''the american dream'', but from what I understand, the average diamond size even in the US is still under 1/2 carat. I have a very international and educated (ie in good jobs) circle of friends, and most of them have small diamonds, if at all; eg a German friend wears only a WG wedding band with several 0.02 or so diamonds. My future ER will have a 0.95 RB that we bought from the US for a good price. RBs are the most popular, followed by princess cuts. You can get fancies, but they aren''t as readily available. If you go to Hatton Garden, London''s diamond district, many shops sell rings of several carats but I don''t see that many on women day to day, though there are always exceptions. I saw a woman on the underground (subway, to everyone else) with the most beautiful, dazzling ring with a min 3ct rock, but she didn''t look english. Generally speaking, the diamond market isn''t as sophisticated as in the US, and people still have a lot to learn. Not many people know about the importance of cut quality. Prices are inflated too.

I have to admit that I find many settings sold here en large quite boring. They are often very traditional, and not exciting or different enough for a girl who loves design and contemporary, modern styles with an overall edgier look. I''ve been told that a ring I commissioned recently with a jeweller in the US is "very Antwerp" (ring arriving tomorrow, watch this space!
36.gif
)

The first part of my life was spent in Serbia (former Yugoslavia to anyone who isn''t familiar with the region, although we''ve been put on the world map for all the wrong reasons). The tradition there is for the wittnesses/godparents (there isn''t really a word in english) to buy wedding rings for the bride and the groom. Traditionally, they were in yellow gold, but WG is more popular now, like in most countries. Like Adis said, ERs rode in to the region on a tidal wave of consumerism and younger couples are going for them, though mostly gemstones as diamonds are VERY, VERY expensive over there; eg a friend has a small ruby with diamond melee.

Phew, sorry this was so long everyone. I could carry on as I find this subject really interesting, but I have to stop myself before I bore everyone (unless it''s already too late?
9.gif
)...

Keep the stories coming!

dinamit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results