shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD vs final setting for my octagon halo

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he came on here and gave OP the full refund would everyone be ok with the vendor again?
Does that constitute good customer service when it's done seemingly only because of public notice on this forum?
I always wonder that when issues like this arise on here.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he came on here and gave OP the full refund would everyone be ok with the vendor again?
Does that constitute good customer service when it's done seemingly only because of public notice on this forum?
I would rather he give the refund bc it’s the right thing to do, not bc of outside pressure. So no, that does not constitute good customer service in my eyes.

At this point even if he gave the refund, I’d be watching going forward what the interactions with him are and go from there.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! Absolutely, everyone makes mistakes, but it’s how they deal with it that matters and this is just beyond poor customer service. I’d consider naming the vendor since you’ve given him ample opportunity to handle this properly and he’s refused. Based on this, I’d choose not to work with him for custom projects, as the true test of a vendor is how they handle a problem.
This!!! It's not horrible that the bench messed up. It happens. The issue is the response, IMO.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion, no. They should have done the right thing without being pressured to do so because of feedback on this forum. The bottom line (for me) is that there are several amazing vendors on PS who both do amazing work AND do the right thing when there are issues. Why on earth would anyone use a vendor who doesn’t stand behind their work??

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Doing right by BF would be a start, but certainly not the ‘end all be all’ for me. As @yennyfire said, it shouldn’t take this forum ‘strong-arming’ a vendor to do the right thing merely to protect their reputation; they should do the right thing in the first place because it’s the right thing to do. It sounds like there have been a few back-and-forth communications between BF & the vendor with her seeking refund after the third attempt at making the ring correctly. I wouldn’t want to give it a fourth go either at this point. It shouldn’t take THIS much effort to do the ‘right thing’.

That it IS taking this much effort leaves me inclined to take my business elsewhere. I work hard enough for my money that I shouldn’t have to work twice as hard to get it back when a transaction goes awry.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
The one wrong sized prong really ticks me off. It's like double the size of all of the others, how could they happily ship that to you??

I don't recognize the vendor, can someone share the name?

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Ohhh that's unfortunate :(

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Doing right by BF would be a start, but certainly not the ‘end all be all’ for me. As @yennyfire said, it shouldn’t take this forum ‘strong-arming’ a vendor to do the right thing merely to protect their reputation; they should do the right thing in the first place because it’s the right thing to do. It sounds like there have been a few back-and-forth communications between BF & the vendor with her seeking refund after the third attempt at making the ring correctly. I wouldn’t want to give it a fourth go either at this point. It shouldn’t take THIS much effort to do the ‘right thing’.

That it IS taking this much effort leaves me inclined to take my business elsewhere. I work hard enough for my money that I shouldn’t have to work twice as hard to get it back when a transaction goes awry.

I couldn’t agree with you more, @the_mother_thing! What we’ve seen here isn’t good customer service, at all, and it’s unfortunate for the company. I would never purchase anything from him based on how he’s handled this - would love to hear from him on this thread...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: He told me to send the setting back. He told
me that all this details are microscopic and that he would have his bench fix it. I told him that I didn’t want his bench to try to fix it a fourth time amd that I would like a refund. I asked for the address to send the setting back. He hasn’t responded with the return confirmation of solely the setting and the address so that I can ship it back.

Hoping he gives you a refund so you can start over.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is not the benchmark of the stones his business is built around (and famed for) have details that are microscopic? Like it matters for the stones but not the settings?
Weird.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAH that makes me incredibly sad. I just had an outstanding experience with him, and this makes me much more hesitant about future purchases.

I think that’s what baffles me about this situation the most ... this vendor’s reputation (on PS, at least). There are some vendors frequented by PSers who I’d not be surprised to read about this situation occurring with loooong before it being this person/business.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very disheartening. And confounding. This is a vendor who helped raise the bar on PS and educated us about nuances. How is it that they no longer apply?

BF I'm sorry this has gone so poorly for you. I hope it gets resolved satisfactorily and you are able to move on to something that makes your heart sing.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pulled all three of these images up together on my iPad and stood about 8 feet away, and it was still easily discernible to me (the problem areas).

The lack of those double-button prongs in the corners really does influence how the overall ring appears. It does two things: 1) creates dark areas forcing a visual break between the diamonds and the metal; and 2) accentuates that the halo diamonds are actually set in a circle vs. being aligned to the outer edge of the halo (following the octagonal shape). It’s my opinion that the combination of those two flaws results in the eyes seeing a round halo vs. an octagonal one. And that round-halo effect is further accentuated by the horizontal gap between the diamond and inner edge of the halo, creating another visual ‘round’ to the eye that is not present in the CAD.

A9340727-FD2D-47CD-8172-32F014895193.png
C9241E3D-3B7C-4DF7-A595-394E413E1952.png

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing jeez louise, I hope I NEVER have this problem (altho years ago I had the worst POS ever made, they broke my baguettes, it's out of business today)if do tho I am calling you! you are tenacious and have a GREAT eye. I have purchased from this vendor, but just a stock setting. The blob was noticeable to me in the beginning as I read. So sorry for the OP and hope she get's her money back and goes to DK or BG or someone who stands by their work. You have been incredibly helpful here and I appreciate it. I can say this is the 2nd time I have read about crap work from vendors when one pays very good money for a setting and after my fiasco in Austin I am VERY WARY of ever having a piece made for me.

Kate

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like others need to know who this is to be protected in the future. I think OP can file via PP because the CADs aren't as promised. That should void any BS about stuff being non refundable.
I looked at the PayPal receipt and the website, I think it is ****** Edited out per RD's very fair point.

Last edited:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cokitty I was super curious to know too, and appreciated the_mother_thing's clue... however the OP has withheld the name for her own reasons thus far, and I think we need to respect that and let her out them on her own terms.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@cokitty I was super curious to know too, and appreciated the_mother_thing's clue... however the OP has withheld the name for her own reasons thus far, and I think we need to respect that and let her out them on her own terms.
Fair enough. Edited.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, he is standing by all of the work that has been done and that every fix is microscopic. What @the_mother_thing and I see are all minor fixes according to the vendor and even though he didn’t and couldn’t match the setting to the CAD the first three times, he can the fourth time. I was patient and gave them a shot multiple times. I don’t think they are able to execute what I am looking for in the beautiful CAD. Unfortunately, I paid for a custom setting and didn’t get the results that I paid for but the vendor has confirmed that no wrong has been done and that the setting is what I paid for many many times.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, he is standing by all of the work that has been done and that every fix is microscopic. What @the_mother_thing and I see are all minor fixes according to the vendor and even though he didn’t and couldn’t match the setting to the CAD the first three times, he can the fourth time. I was patient and gave them a shot multiple times. I don’t think they are able to execute what I am looking for in the beautiful CAD. Unfortunately, I paid for a custom setting and didn’t get the results that I paid for but the vendor has confirmed that no wrong has been done and that the setting is what I paid for many many times.

This is sad.
I'm sorry if this was already stated before and I missed it - but
are you speaking to the man himself? Or one of his 'sales associates'?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is surprising, sad & unfortunate. I know where I won’t be spending any money. I do hope you pursue a claim with PP & your CC company, and that you are able to recoup your loss and start over with someone who values you as a customer as well as delivers on their product/service. Best of luck, BF. Keep us posted! (hugs)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does the vendor know about this thread? I’m really surprised he hasn’t made this right for you. I have plans to buy a stone from him and this doesn’t put me off. I don’t know about buying a setting though. I would like to see how this plays out.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does the vendor know about this thread? I’m really surprised he hasn’t made this right for you. I have plans to buy a stone from him and this doesn’t put me off. I don’t know about buying a setting though. I would like to see how this plays out.

I’m not 100% sure if he does. He is on here and active so I suspect he does. I forgot to crop one of the photos that I sent him and it showed this site so I’m pretty sure he does know.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It took a lot for me to post this because I have always had wonderful transactions with this vendor. I understand that each vendor has their own policies regarding their own diamonds and settings. I also know that it shouldn’t take a bench three times to TRY to get a setting right that I paid to have custom made. It would be unwise on my part to think that a fourth time would be the winner. I don’t know what is going to come out of this situation but I do hope that a mutual resolution happens where both parties are satisfied with the outcome.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not 100% sure if he does. He is on here and active so I suspect he does. I forgot to crop one of the photos that I sent him and it showed this site so I’m pretty sure he does know.

I really hope he gives you the resolution you are looking for. An engagement is such a special piece of jewellery and it’s not nice that this experience is making you so unhappy.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good afternoon everyone.

A little clarification and hopeful resolve.

@Bfelix I do apologize for this inconvenience. As noted and agreed the first ring didn't come out anything like we created together. It was missing the bridge and the octagon didn't quite look like an octagon. We sent back and they remade along with changes you had wanted (tt halo, milgrain, etc.)

When the second came back and you were concerned with the height I thought lowering it with the local bench would alleviate the problem. Obviously it didn't. In our dialogue I offered to remake the ring according to all the corrections you've pointed out. I'd take it a step further if that's ok and I'd point my CAD team to this very thread and have the ring remade according to all the corrections you deem necessary and/or even reaching out to close friends of mine in the trade (mentioned in this thread). Bottom line is I want to make it right with you and hope you will give me that chance.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Last edited:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is the thing, before I made this post, all of things were noted, the stone being placed correctly, the halo looking like an octagon, without empty space in the corners of the halo itself, and the prong. This was all spoken about the first and/or second time that the setting came off the bench. Things were changed between the first setting and the second setting. I’m not denying that as you can see from the pictures but to have it be sent a third time to another bench and it is still not fixed, even after pointing everything out and sending it to me and saying that it matches the CAD and you won’t see anything that is actually different is saddening. Rhino has offered to make the setting again. I would just like a refund and be done with the situation as I gave the bench a fair shot. In fact, I gave them multiple times to make the setting correct and they couldn’t do it. I don’t know if I am being unreasonable or not.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results