shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD vs final setting for my octagon halo

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
838510C1-1B8E-49DA-AB34-1452A34AC240.jpeg BA30B933-F97B-4D54-B3E7-5886ED1DAD38.jpeg
I’m having a custom setting made and I love the CAD but the final setting looks off to me but I’m not 100% why. I’m thinking the halo stones look like a circle when I would like it to look like an intentional octagon. I don’t know how to change it but here is the CAD and the final product. The final product is on top and the CAD minus the milgrain is on the bottom. Thoughts?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am horribly bad at reading CADs, but I agree it doesn't look quite right. I've been staring at it, trying to figure out what looks odd to me. Maybe it's that the "points" of the octagon aren't "filled", so it looks like empty space? Also, there's a bit of an airline in the final piece, but doesn't look like there is one in the CAD. I agree it looks much more round and less octagon than the CAD.

I circled the thing I was trying to say about "points of the octagon", because I realized it was written in a confusing way.

838510C1-1B8E-49DA-AB34-1452A34AC240.jpeg

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am horribly bad at reading CADs, but I agree it doesn't look quite right. I've been staring at it, trying to figure out what looks odd to me. Maybe it's that the "points" of the octagon aren't "filled", so it looks like empty space? Also, there's a bit of an airline in the final piece, but doesn't look like there is one in the CAD. I agree it looks much more round and less octagon than the CAD.

I circled the thing I was trying to say about "points of the octagon", because I realized it was written in a confusing way.

838510C1-1B8E-49DA-AB34-1452A34AC240.jpeg

I asked about the diamond being lowered as I don’t want an airline but the halo seems different too. I see where you pointed at the halo being empty.

L

lydial

It appears in the CAD the stones at the corners do not share prongs, but in the actual ring they do which blunts the corner. It may not be as noticeable in real life? may be doe to chosen tiny melee?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs you figured it out. It's the spacing. The CAD shows there is a set of 4 prongs or tiny beads to fill-in the space. They did not execute this on the ring itself. I would return the ring & ask them to fix it. Or better yet, maybe they can add a larger diamond in the corners to balance it out. I hope they can fix it for you.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs you figured it out. It's the spacing. The CAD shows there is a set of 4 prongs or tiny beads to fill-in the space. They did not execute this on the ring itself. I would return the ring & ask them to fix it. Or better yet, maybe they can add a larger diamond in the corners to balance it out. I hope they can fix it for you.

Ok, I can see what you mean with the spacing! I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t look like the CAD. Thanks so much.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the cad the prongs for the center stone are in the halo. They don't do this in the ring. I prefer the smaller prongs in the real ring but could this be making it appear more round?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In the cad the prongs for the center stone are in the halo. They don't do this in the ring. I prefer the smaller prongs in the real ring but could this be making it appear more round?

I don’t mind the prong placement. I don’t think that is making the halo diamonds look round but it could be. The airline and prongs are being fixed and I will see how it looks. I love the octagonal shape and I want that to show through with this custom setting.

thebrady28

Rough_Rock
Agree with lovedog... gaps in the corners make it look round. Whereas the CAD is filled.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_10-52-28.png
    upload_2019-2-26_10-52-28.png
    582.7 KB · Views: 13

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try without milgrain initially. That is blurring the shape. You can add it later if you like.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
It looks to me like the diamond in the CAD partially covers the halo (superimposed) with an airline. In the actual piece it doesn't do this, which is why it looks round, maybe because there is spacing to allow for its defined shape to show?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s probably too late, but in case not, how about a line of metal (delicatey millegrained?) running outwards from the stone to each of the corners of the octagon? It would break up the halo to delineate a bit more of a frame, which should reduce the round appearance because you’d see more angles? It’s a different look to a continuous halo though so may not be your taste.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
It appears to my eyes, the melee in the CAD are larger and fewer of them. In the CAD.. per side there are three...except where the prongs are located it is melee prong melee.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s probably too late, but in case not, how about a line of metal (delicatey millegrained?) running outwards from the stone to each of the corners of the octagon? It would break up the halo to delineate a bit more of a frame, which should reduce the round appearance because you’d see more angles? It’s a different look to a continuous halo though so may not be your taste.

It is probably too late in the process as the airline and the extra bead is already being fixed. I don’t think milgrain can be added going outward without redoing the halo again. It is my taste to do that. I just didn’t think to do it.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I missed your post from yesterday saying you’d decided what you’re changing. Not helpful to add things once you’re decided - sorry!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
25A1D881-973E-4E5F-975B-C3909584111E.jpeg D9E43F64-998E-4293-ACD0-9BABF4650FF2.jpeg I’m sad and I don’t know what to do. I sent this setting back and the bench still didn’t do what I had asked and the vendor is telling me that there is now refund but I am not satisfied with this custom setting that doesn’t look like the CAD that was made. Am I stuck with a setting that I am not satisfied with? I don’t wear the ring. I spoke with my local jeweler and he said that I can drop it in a solitaire so that I can wear it until I figure out what to do. I love the stone by the setting just didn’t translate between the CAD and the bench that was used. Any advice?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main difference I see is that the CAD shows a very fine straight line around the center stone, which defines the octagonal shape and the prongs on the CAD extend to the outside edge of the halo, while it doesn’t on the finished ring.

If you are getting a full refund and can start over, I’d suggest using a vendor who has done a similar design in the past. I know both David Klass and Caysie of CvB have done octagonal halos.

Caysie made mine and I love it!

9EBE3F46-68BD-4427-8719-7293F859C5D0.jpeg 4D94EA8B-052C-48C3-BB62-571212C90FFB.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I’m sorry you’re having a less-than-desirable experience with whomever is making this ring for you, and that the outcome is again not what you asked for. Did you pay with your credit card, by chance? If so, you may have recourse through your CC company if whomever is your ‘go-between’ is not willing to either make this right or refund you for failing to deliver what you requested/approved in CAD.

If the bench is willing to remake the ring for you (which they should since they did not deliver what appears to be in the CAD), then I would point out these things. Here are the issues I see between the CAD & finished ring:
3619A676-BD1E-4D56-8FC5-F338C7D2B669.jpeg
1) The prongs are not the same as represented in the CAD, and - in the finished piece - the four prongs appear uneven. The CAD shows them extending from the outer edge of the halo to the center; the finished ring has them only on the inside of the halo.

2) Those corners in the CAD show two prongs holding the melee; finished ring only has one. This leaves several little ‘gaps’ around the ring that distract the eye and IMO distract from the octagonal shape.

3) There is an airline in the finished ring that is not apparent in the CAD. It almost looks like they made the halo too big for the center diamond. That airline IMO is enhancing the central diamond’s shape and again distracts from the overall piece’s octagonal shape.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I’m sorry you’re having a less-than-desirable experience with whomever is making this ring for you, and that the outcome is again not what you asked for. Did you pay with your credit card, by chance? If so, you may have recourse through your CC company if whomever is your ‘go-between’ is not willing to either make this right or refund you for failing to deliver what you requested/approved in CAD.

If the bench is willing to remake the ring for you (which they should since they did not deliver what appears to be in the CAD), then I would point out these things. Here are the issues I see between the CAD & finished ring:
3619A676-BD1E-4D56-8FC5-F338C7D2B669.jpeg
1) The prongs are not the same as represented in the CAD, and - in the finished piece - the four prongs appear uneven. The CAD shows them extending from the outer edge of the halo to the center; the finished ring has them only on the inside of the halo.

2) Those corners in the CAD show two prongs holding the melee; finished ring only has one. This leaves several little ‘gaps’ around the ring that distract the eye and IMO distract from the octagonal shape.

3) There is an airline in the finished ring that is not apparent in the CAD. It almost looks like they made the halo too big for the center diamond. That airline IMO is enhancing the central diamond’s shape and again distracts from the overall piece’s octagonal shape.

I completely agree and love the visuals that you marked. I can see all of this but this very popular vendor says that there will always be space in the corners, since it isn’t a bezel, that the different sized prong isn’t a big deal, and that is the lowest that the diamond can be set. The vendor is telling me that this is the best that the bench can do and that it matches the CAD. To top it off, the vendor is refusing to give me a refund. The vendor has already tried fixing this setting two times and has not succeeded. I wanted to give the vendor the benefit of the doubt. I paid through PayPal with a credit card. I didn’t want to go that route with the credit card company but I may have to do so. I was hoping the vendor would do the right thing since it was on them that the custom setting didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
EC841C53-9ACA-4EC1-9804-D5B98B3F8260.jpeg
Brian Gavin did mine and I love it :kiss2:

That is beautiful and exactly what I am looking for, aside from the 8 prongs. I love the CAD that the vendor made but the setting didn’t turn out like the CAD. If it did, I would be a happy camper.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The main difference I see is that the CAD shows a very fine straight line around the center stone, which defines the octagonal shape and the prongs on the CAD extend to the outside edge of the halo, while it doesn’t on the finished ring.

If you are getting a full refund and can start over, I’d suggest using a vendor who has done a similar design in the past. I know both David Klass and Caysie of CvB have done octagonal halos.

Caysie made mine and I love it!

9EBE3F46-68BD-4427-8719-7293F859C5D0.jpeg 4D94EA8B-052C-48C3-BB62-571212C90FFB.jpeg

That is beautiful and I know that Caysie has beautiful settings. I have learned my lesson but the vendor I used is very popular with great work done on here so I thought that this setting could be done properly according to the CAD that I approved. The vendor is offering me zero refund and saying that the setting matches the CAD. The vendor knows that there is space in the corners and says that it can’t be fixed. I am at a loss on what to do.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I am beyond baffled how a vendor can say ‘here is a cad of your ring but it won’t really have what you see here’ and expect you to be satisfied with that. :shock: We aren’t talking minor finishing/polishing that doesn’t translate in a CAD but actual design features, proportions, gaps, etc.

I hate you are in this position but I would start the process of filing a claim with PP and your CC company since the vendor/bench do not appear capable of delivering what they said/showed in their CAD, and don’t seem to understand the problems with their product.

And yes, I am curious who this vendor is so I can steer clear, but understand if you choose not to ‘out’ them at this time. But that IS what this consumer forum is about ... sharing the good AND the bad (as a public service to others).

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I am beyond baffled how a vendor can say ‘here is a cad of your ring but it won’t really have what you see here’ and expect you to be satisfied with that. :shock: We aren’t talking minor finishing/polishing that doesn’t translate in a CAD but actual design features, proportions, gaps, etc.

I hate you are in this position but I would start the process of filing a claim with PP and your CC company since the vendor/bench do not appear capable of delivering what they said/showed in their CAD, and don’t seem to understand the problems with their product.

And yes, I am curious who this vendor is so I can steer clear, but understand if you choose not to ‘out’ them at this time. But that IS what this consumer forum is about ... sharing the good AND the bad (as a public service to others).

I have had good and bad results with filing a claim with PP in the past. Do you think this is a valid case that a PP representative would understand the differences in a custom setting and be able to translate with my pictures of what is completely different from a CAD? Since I did pay through PayPal, I’m wondering if I have to go through PayPal or if I can go straight to my CC company. I’m really trying to give this vendor the benefit of the doubt. I understand that I should out the vendor as this is not good custom work. The vendor is on PS. I’m waiting to here a final answer from him even though he did tell me no refund, he also said that he would send pictures to his bench. Sending pictures to the bench didn’t work the last two times so I don’t feel that it is going to work this time. I don’t even want to try a third time with the bench.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is this vendor?! I cannot believe they are saying "too bad, so sad." Horrible customer service! That is just not right.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had good and bad results with filing a claim with PP in the past. Do you think this is a valid case that a PP representative would understand the differences in a custom setting and be able to translate with my pictures of what is completely different from a CAD? Since I did pay through PayPal, I’m wondering if I have to go through PayPal or if I can go straight to my CC company. I’m really trying to give this vendor the benefit of the doubt. I understand that I should out the vendor as this is not good custom work. The vendor is on PS. I’m waiting to here a final answer from him even though he did tell me no refund, he also said that he would send pictures to his bench. Sending pictures to the bench didn’t work the last two times so I don’t feel that it is going to work this time. I don’t even want to try a third time with the bench.

I think it will really depend on what the documentation you have states, but if they said “here is what we will deliver you” (and you approved the CADs), and they did not deliver what was agreed to, I’m not sure how the vendor can argue with it or PP/CC company would disagree.

Do you have the actual CAD images the vendor sent that you can post (e.g., usually on graph ‘paper’ with different angles, measurements, etc.) vs. the “renderings” of what the finished piece was supposed to look like that they sent? I mean, I’m hardly a CAD pro, but it’s clear to me that the opening for the central diamond in the actual ring is much bigger (creating the gap) than the rendering image, and the central diamond’s prongs are not like what they said (in the rendering) they’d look like, and their own rendering shows two dot-prongs in those corners which are not present in the finished piece.

I mean ... hello! If the vendor is on PS and you are reading this, how can you state that the finished piece IS like the rendering when it clearly is not. :doh:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
25A1D881-973E-4E5F-975B-C3909584111E.jpeg D9E43F64-998E-4293-ACD0-9BABF4650FF2.jpeg I’m sad and I don’t know what to do. I sent this setting back and the bench still didn’t do what I had asked and the vendor is telling me that there is now refund but I am not satisfied with this custom setting that doesn’t look like the CAD that was made. Am I stuck with a setting that I am not satisfied with? I don’t wear the ring. I spoke with my local jeweler and he said that I can drop it in a solitaire so that I can wear it until I figure out what to do. I love the stone by the setting just didn’t translate between the CAD and the bench that was used. Any advice?
Can you attach pics of what it looked like after the first time vs. second time? I'm confused about how it's possible that they still messed this up!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^ right? It's not the same as what you approved. If they couldn't do what they showed you, then they should have said so.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful and exactly what I am looking for, aside from the 8 prongs. I love the CAD that the vendor made but the setting didn’t turn out like the CAD. If it did, I would be a happy camper.

Assuming the vendor you are working with isn’t BGD maybe you could ask them to make your new setting once you get your refund?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results