shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD vs final setting for my octagon halo

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is beautiful and I know that Caysie has beautiful settings. I have learned my lesson but the vendor I used is very popular with great work done on here so I thought that this setting could be done properly according to the CAD that I approved. The vendor is offering me zero refund and saying that the setting matches the CAD. The vendor knows that there is space in the corners and says that it can’t be fixed. I am at a loss on what to do.
I misunderstood. If you are not getting a refund, then the vendor needs to make this right. With @the_mother_thing’s approval, I’d send her illustrations/explanations to the vendor. If s/he can’t see the differences, I’d call BS.

I’m so sorry that you are having to deal with this. :cry2:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
D67E6BBC-0BA7-4F1A-9B43-4653F5255EBD.jpeg D698A313-894A-458C-BC35-E09BF2A67F8A.jpeg 6AB9A9AF-327F-4AF1-9706-DF59A2A00557.jpeg AE69CFC2-12BE-46D3-8834-50F25721BA30.jpeg
I think it will really depend on what the documentation you have states, but if they said “here is what we will deliver you” (and you approved the CADs), and they did not deliver what was agreed to, I’m not sure how the vendor can argue with it or PP/CC company would disagree.

Do you have the actual CAD images the vendor sent that you can post (e.g., usually on graph ‘paper’ with different angles, measurements, etc.) vs. the “renderings” of what the finished piece was supposed to look like that they sent? I mean, I’m hardly a CAD pro, but it’s clear to me that the opening for the central diamond in the actual ring is much bigger (creating the gap) than the rendering image, and the central diamond’s prongs are not like what they said (in the rendering) they’d look like, and their own rendering shows two dot-prongs in those corners which are not present in the finished piece.

I mean ... hello! If the vendor is on PS and you are reading this, how can you state that the finished piece IS like the rendering when it clearly is not. :doh:

Here are the CAD renders from the vendor. He didn’t put measurements on them but this is the custom setting that he put together. He told me that there has to be a gap because it isn’t a bezel but he didn’t tell me that there would be a gap or that the corners wouldn’t be filled in to make a streamline octagon. I told him that the setting doesn’t look like the CAD. The CAD looks great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D67E6BBC-0BA7-4F1A-9B43-4653F5255EBD.jpeg D698A313-894A-458C-BC35-E09BF2A67F8A.jpeg 6AB9A9AF-327F-4AF1-9706-DF59A2A00557.jpeg AE69CFC2-12BE-46D3-8834-50F25721BA30.jpeg

Here are the CAD renders from the vendor. He didn’t put measurements on them but this is the custom setting that he put together. He told me that there has to be a gap because it isn’t a bezel but he didn’t tell me that there would be a gap or that the corners wouldn’t be filled in to make a streamline octagon. I told him that the setting doesn’t look like the CAD. The CAD looks great.
There's no gap here. So the vendor seems to have given you a setting that doesnt match his own cad. Wtf??? That's just silly.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First time I got it back: a lot of spacing In halo, no milgrain, the stone was set high, and there wasn’t a bridge under the halo.
D937E5EF-0077-4060-A587-6A172091572A.jpeg

Second time I got it back. I did have the halo changed to white gold. There is still empty spacing in the halo, which the vendor told me that I wouldn’t notice when I receive the ring, one prong larger than the others, again I was told it wouldn’t be noticeable, and there is still an airline and I was told that it the lowest the stone can be set.
804BFE71-AB95-4E26-9653-81F45A110E63.jpeg

These are the CADs that I approved:
57D63025-3CAE-4977-A2DB-84C44EF7E0E7.jpeg E0B6FA05-535B-4C86-A23B-1AAF72915454.jpeg 86BC04FF-04AC-4921-B023-A407B05C2451.jpeg
Can you attach pics of what it looked like after the first time vs. second time? I'm confused about how it's possible that they still messed this up!

Attachments

• 3360A4BB-67AA-4639-8A2B-2D189C33231A.jpeg
    3360A4BB-67AA-4639-8A2B-2D189C33231A.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 07988864-6528-4299-994B-16DC114DFFB8.jpeg
    07988864-6528-4299-994B-16DC114DFFB8.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 16

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There's no gap here. So the vendor seems to have given you a setting that doesnt match his own cad. Wtf??? That's just silly.

I agree with you and I mentioned all of this before he sent it out to me. I had him send it back to his bench a third time to fix it and he said that is the best he could do and I wouldn’t notice while wearing it. I noticed it. I told him it was beautiful but not what I asked for, nor paid for.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I misunderstood. If you are not getting a refund, then the vendor needs to make this right. With @the_mother_thing’s approval, I’d send her illustrations/explanations to the vendor. If s/he can’t see the differences, I’d call BS.

I’m so sorry that you are having to deal with this. :cry2:

I have had his bench try to do this setting two times and fix it a third time. I don’t want to try again as I don’t think it is going to come out like the CAD. I asked for a refund of the setting and was told no but that pictures would be sent to the bench to show the differences. So, I’m not sure if that is going to be the vendor’s final answer or if he will take the setting back for a refund. I told the vendor that there are clear differences. It is easy to see that it doesn’t look the same.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix I don’t know what measurements they used for the ‘cad’ rendering they provided, but that diamond is not the same - proportionately - to what you received, and they should have provided you a detailed CAD with measurements accounting for the stones’ measurements, halo width, height, etc. Yes, there is reasonably a ‘gap’ under the diamond’s girdle to the inner part of the halo without a bezel. There is not be a gap on the side of the diamond and the inner part of the halo in those renderings, but there IS one in what you received. This makes me wonder just how qualified their designer/CAD person is to have mis-measured or failed to account for the spacing around the central diamond. Honestly, I’m just baffled this is a PS-recommended vendor/bench or sponsor who cannot/will not see these issues and do something to correct it.

Seriously, I’m sorry this is happening and I know it’s frustrating. Cut your frustration and just open the claim in PP/CC company. If they cannot see this error, they don’t deserve your money. Even a PP rep will be able to see this when you point it out to them.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And yes, to what @yennyfire said, I don’t mind you using those mock-ups to communicate the issue; heck, I’d be happy to redo them a little more clearly/neatly for you ... no problem at all! I just did those above quickly/on the fly. Say the word and I’ll neaten them up for you to clearly articulate the problems.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seriously after remaking the original ring, FROM THEIR OWN CAD, they messed it up?! o_O Then to add insult to injury a hard no to a refund. I'm baffled as to who the vendor is. It just doesn't seem like one of the regulars would send out something like this TWICE. Truly confused. sad :((

PS...I just realized who you are. LOL Email me if you need to vent. :)

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First time I got it back: a lot of spacing In halo, no milgrain, the stone was set high, and there wasn’t a bridge under the halo.
D937E5EF-0077-4060-A587-6A172091572A.jpeg

Second time I got it back. I did have the halo changed to white gold. There is still empty spacing in the halo, which the vendor told me that I wouldn’t notice when I receive the ring, one prong larger than the others, again I was told it wouldn’t be noticeable, and there is still an airline and I was told that it the lowest the stone can be set.
804BFE71-AB95-4E26-9653-81F45A110E63.jpeg

These are the CADs that I approved:
57D63025-3CAE-4977-A2DB-84C44EF7E0E7.jpeg E0B6FA05-535B-4C86-A23B-1AAF72915454.jpeg 86BC04FF-04AC-4921-B023-A407B05C2451.jpeg
Thanks, I was losing track! It still looks wrong in the second version. Still space between outline bezel and stones. I don't understand why they got this wrong once, much less twice!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not what you paid for, period. You clearly approved a CAD, and the ring doesn't match the CAD in either case. You should get a refund.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And yes, to what @yennyfire said, I don’t mind you using those mock-ups to communicate the issue; heck, I’d be happy to redo them a little more clearly/neatly for you ... no problem at all! I just did those above quickly/on the fly. Say the word and I’ll neaten them up for you to clearly articulate the problems.

I would love that. Thank you. I’m not sure if he has seen this post or not already but I would love to give him details so there is no room for miscommunication.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Refund then walk.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love that. Thank you. I’m not sure if he has seen this post or not already but I would love to give him details so there is no room for miscommunication.

Give me a few mins and I’ll post them for you. :wavey:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
CBC66BEB-A54B-4650-B5A2-D6578916933D.jpeg
Vendor is still trying to say that the setting looks the same as the CAD:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bfelix Here ya go ... the vendor is looking at the gap from the side vs. face on. Yes, there will be some ‘vertical’ gap when not bezeled; but there is a horizontal gap that (IMO) seriously detracts from the appearance of the ring. See below to help convey this. Also, I’m sorry that I’m even having to help you document these issues. I feel bad because I feel like I’m picking apart your new ring, and I hate that. This vendor should be able to see these items ... hell, I’m a ‘hobbyist’ and they’re clear as day to me. Anyway, I’m sorry, and I hope these help you get resolution that leaves YOU happy and whole.

4F53A239-CA44-49B9-AB33-885DCFC4A149.jpeg
Image above highlights the gaps visible face-on between the diamond’s girdle and the inner-edge of the halo of the finished ring. The CAD rendering does not depict any gap ... in fact, it shows the diamond overlapping the inner edge of the halo (see arrows). If the ring was cast based on an actual CAD, it would appear the measurements were wrong/off somehow/somewhere. Given no actual CAD (with measurements) was provided, it’s hard to say.

61BAD497-AF33-41CB-9319-757F496E649B.jpeg
Image above highlights the finished ring’s central diamond prongs not as depicted in the CAD. The CAD rendering’s four prongs extend from the outer edge of the halo in to the central diamond. The finished ring’s four prongs extend from the inner edge of the halo (vs. outer edge) and are not consistent in appearance ... three of them are tiny ‘dots’ and the one in the 10/11 o’clock position is blob/oval shaped, creating a negative visual impact.

7DC5E991-388A-4EFD-93D7-8153356D8640.jpeg
Image above highlights the inconsistency between the CAD rendering and finished ring in the octagonal points. In each of these points, the rendering showed there being two ‘dot’ style prongs to hold the halo diamond melee in place. These extra dots fill in those areas, helping accentuate the octagonal shape. In the finished ring, there is only one dot style prong, leaving what appear to be dark gaps in the metal/finished piece. This appearance detracts from the intended octagonal shape.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I’m sorry but any PS vendor who says “oh, you won’t notice that in person” just amazes me ... there’s not a PS vendor I’ve dealt with who doesn’t understand that PSers are generally pretty detail oriented people who DO notice what ‘others’ may not. Nevertheless, suggesting you won’t notice that off-shaped prong is arrogant.

It’s not a matter of “noticing it”; the ethical thing to do is make it right - the first time - period. Trying to excuse defects in craftsmanship because you assume bad eyesight is a poor customer service approach to take.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing Thank you for the help. I sent the photos to him. I’m really hoping the right thing is done in the end. I don’t want to have to file a claim as this vendor has always been very good to many PSers on here. I showed him the same issue on the second photo before he shipped the ring back to me the second time and he said that I wouldn’t notice it.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have very good vision and I am detail oriented. Honestly, if this was a cheap stock setting, then I get what I pay for but this is a custom setting.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thoroughly surprised a PS vendor would be pushing back like this.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing Thank you for the help. I sent the photos to him. I’m really hoping the right thing is done in the end. I don’t want to have to file a claim as this vendor has always been very good to many PSers on here. I showed him the same issue on the second photo before he shipped the ring back to me the second time and he said that I wouldn’t notice it.

A vendor can be great to a hundred other PSers, but he/she is being crappy to YOU ... and you paid for this ring, and you have a right to be treated respectfully, honestly and ethically regardless of others’ experiences.

And I didn’t mean to insinuate you weren’t detail oriented or have poor eyesight; rather, the vendor’s attitude seems to suggest you are. And that kind of pisses me off on your behalf, quite frankly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the part that makes me irritated. HOW could anyone think you wouldn't notice??? It's so obvious!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the part that makes me irritated. HOW could anyone think you wouldn't notice??? It's so obvious!

Agreed. I am literally pissed off on BF’s behalf here. It’s like someone took her money, gave her a shotty attempt at a custom ring, and said ‘yea it’s flawed but you won’t notice ... and btw you won’t get a refund/remake for my shotty work’. :angryfire: ETA: the first ring wasn’t even a half-decent octagon but rather a poorly finished oval. Unsat!

Mistakes, misunderstandings and misinterpretations happen with custom projects ... but how a vendor deals with those situations reveals his/her true character. I hope I never do business with whomever this vendor is - PS advertiser/favorite/darling or not. Wrong is wrong.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A vendor can be great to a hundred other PSers, but he/she is being crappy to YOU ... and you paid for this ring, and you have a right to be treated respectfully, honestly and ethically regardless of others’ experiences.

And I didn’t mean to insinuate you weren’t detail oriented or have poor eyesight; rather, the vendor’s attitude seems to suggest you are. And that kind of pisses me off on your behalf, quite frankly.

Oh no, I knew exactly what you are talking about. I agree that the vendor is definitely pushing back and telling me to unsee what I can’t unsee on a custom setting.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I knew exactly what you are talking about. I agree that the vendor is definitely pushing back and telling me to unsee what I can’t unsee on a custom setting.

Given the vendor’s responses and apparent poor eyesight to see their own poor workmanship, I’d just start the process with PayPal & your credit card company to get the refund wagon fired up. Then, when it’s all said and done, I’d go to BGD or someone else to get the quality service you’re after for your money. Don’t waste any more of your precious time dealing with this insanity ... life’s too short and you’ve given the vendor ample opportunity to make it right/do the right thing.

Good luck ... and please, check your email when you have a moment. ;)2

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Agreed. I am literally pissed off on BF’s behalf here. It’s like someone took her money, gave her a shotty attempt at a custom ring, and said ‘yea it’s flawed but you won’t notice ... and btw you won’t get a refund/remake for my shotty work’. :angryfire: ETA: the first ring wasn’t even a half-decent octagon but rather a poorly finished oval. Unsat!

Mistakes, misunderstandings and misinterpretations happen with custom projects ... but how a vendor deals with those situations reveals his/her true character. I hope I never do business with whomever this vendor is - PS advertiser/favorite/darling or not. Wrong is wrong.

He actually sent me the ring with the first setting. I didn’t know what to think. It didn’t look anything like the CAD but was hoping I liked it anyhow. I had to mail it back. The bench made a new ring, and it still wasn’t right. I told him my concerns about the height of the diamond and the space in the halo so he sent it back to his bench a third time and this is the final product that I received.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Given the vendor’s responses and apparent poor eyesight to see their own poor workmanship, I’d just start the process with PayPal & your credit card company to get the refund wagon fired up. Then, when it’s all said and done, I’d go to BGD or someone else to get the quality service you’re after for your money. Don’t waste any more of your precious time dealing with this insanity ... life’s too short and you’ve given the vendor ample opportunity to make it right/do the right thing.

Good luck ... and please, check your email when you have a moment. ;)2

I just checked my email, nothing yet. Thanks for reaching out.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed you get this resolved. I agree there are some minor differences to the CAD which unfortunately give a "softer" overall appearance. PS'ers are tough customers but I've had my own battles on this front so I totally get it. :wall:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. The fact that the blobby mismatched prong is no big deal to him floors me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results