carat
color
clarity

CAD help - solitaire with wrap

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2170F5FD-9584-447E-93DF-941A2D288A25.png

Here’s a rough idea of moving up your diamond by 1mm, what that looks like in relation to the emeralds.
You can also see that then leaves a gap inbetween them to play around with as well.

Yes that looks much better thanks for doing that. I’ve asked DK to make the emeralds smaller (4mm) as well which should help with the height but I’m not sure it’s the right thing to do yet as face down I like the proportions with the 4.5mm stones. Maybe height will be enough.
DK said not to worry about the engraving, it wouldn’t be a problem with that getting scratched.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve asked for the following changes, David says he agrees, hopefully I might get them through later.

Guard
I prefer the 4.5mm emeralds, the 4mm are too small so I’m going back to that size.
Thinner daintier prongs.
Prongs to be reorientated 90 degrees so there is one at the top and bottom.
Ideally however I would like 6 prongs if that is doable without looking messy against the prongs securing the diamind.
Shape of the profile of the guard be made to match the profile of the ring. At the moment it is flat vs the ring being curved.
Band of the guard to be made narrower, say 1.6mm? I won’t wear all time would this be sufficient?

Ring
Thinner and daintier prongs, I’ve sent David a photo @Niel solitaire as they are perfect.
More of a delicate swoop on the shoulders, think they are too bulky both I thickness and shape at the moment.
I think the diamond might need to go higher still if the emeralds are going up to 4.5mm again. Say to around 6.4/6.5 my other ring is fine at 6.15 so I am hoping that increase won’t be too problematic.
The donut needs to reduce in size so there is more a taper from the basket down to the donut.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with exploring the look with even going a bit higher in raising your diamond and shrinking the donut to tuck in the crown basket.

Where do you want to shrink the current measurement for daintier prongs?
7B6BA5B9-9813-4E5E-AF80-2521B688F33F.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with exploring the look with even going a bit higher in raising your diamond and shrinking the donut to tuck in the crown basket.

I am worried that he has based it on the prongs of the inspiration ring which are too heavy in comparison to those on your ring or on Niels. If you look at your CAD they look a lot smaller to me.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am enjoying the gap he put in it seems to be a bit more “hidden” from the top view.

Yes you cannot see the gap I think it just will look like a wedding band and will not obviously be a wrap. Without the gap it looks a strange shape which gives it away as being a wrap imo.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sorry I didnt notice your drawing, I don’t know I guess it’s more a concern that they will be bulky than a particular problem with the cad. I guess the ring has a long way to go as it does not have the intended floral decoration on it as yet so it feels like there will still be a few more cads to go before it is resolved. I think DK is keen to resolve the wrap first.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I didnt notice your drawing, I don’t know I guess it’s more a concern that they will be bulky than a particular problem with the cad. I guess the ring has a long way to go as it does not have the intended floral decoration on it as yet so it feels like there will still be a few more cads to go before it is resolved. I think DK is keen to resolve the wrap first.

I hesitate to say this because i want to help, not hinder you.

I do have worries I asked for too thin at the girdle/tip.
I have no experience to base this on - just anxiety that there is not enough ‘meat’ on the bones to withstand a lifetime of wear. I copied a look that’s already had that wear down?

F269E324-8E96-45C6-ABCB-DC8C16EBC2AD.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hesitate to say this because i want to help, not hinder you.

I do have worries I asked for too thin at the girdle/tip.
I have no experience to base this on - just anxiety that there is not enough ‘meat’ on the bones to withstand a lifetime of wear. I copied a look that’s already had that wear down?

F269E324-8E96-45C6-ABCB-DC8C16EBC2AD.jpeg

I hear you but how old is that ring where it has worn down? My Mum has worn her 3 stone ring for 40 years and no problems with her prongs. My Granny has had a sapphire daisy ring for over 70 years, no problems there either and she is not careful. They are British, so the rings do not come off! I don’t think DK will make me a ring that won’t last a long time and I am not hard on my rings. I do see your point and I will admit I did see a beautiful newly made ring recently perhaps you might know what one I am talking of, that has very tiny prongs that ring alarm bells for me but I won’t go that thin but if you go back and look at the first picture I posted on this thread I think I can go a little thinner than those, they are a bit too chunky for what I am after.
Edit - to say I think your ring will be fine for a good 100 years :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is my ring on top :lol:
I hear you though.
It’ll be fine.
I can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is my ring on top :lol:
I hear you though.
It’ll be fine.
I can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

Ok I will admit to being slightly judgement impaired at this point. It’s 8 o clock and I have had a week of home schooling and a glass of wine has been consumed. I hope I haven’t caused offence because it was so no intended.
I didn’t see a problem with that pic, assumed you were comparing an antique ring to a more modern copy with chunkier prongs but in all honesty I really think they are perfectly safe (and gorgeous).
I think your prongs will be fine. I love your ring, it’s perfect to my eyes. I mistakenly thought your ring was the genuine antique article from your pic! That’s quite a compliment to my mind! Worse outcome they could be rebuilt in 15 years if necessary but personally I just would not be concerned. Perhaps speak to DK to put your mind at rest?
But I do totally get your point - I just don’t think your ring needs to worry, it will not be losing it’s diamond anytime soon.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - no offense
I was being overly cautious in bringing it up to you.
No harm no foul :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who’s worn ring wraps I have some thoughts for you.

My fingers are smaller close to my hand and so my rings can sometimes spin. I wear them such that I need to maneuver (vs just slide) them over my knuckle, but then they’re fairly snug. I also put a speed bump at 6 o’clock in many of my rings. All this is to say that if your rings spin, the wrap may separate from the ER, and you don’t want that.
DK is masterful, so he’s prob thought of this: the emerald ring wrap I showed you ever so slightly hooks onto my ER. I have another sapphire wrap that I totally need to wear another ring on top to hold the whole ring sandwich together.

Idk if I’m making sense. I’ll try to take a pic. Here’s another way of illustrating my point: when I take my ER + emerald ring wrap off, I have to pull the engagement ring down and out from under the wrap. (A person “could” take them off in unison, but due to a bigger knuckle than ring area, I need to slightly finagle one off at a time from ANY stack I wear.)

I really am excited to see your vision come to fruition.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone who’s worn ring wraps I have some thoughts for you.

My fingers are smaller close to my hand and so my rings can sometimes spin. I wear them such that I need to maneuver (vs just slide) them over my knuckle, but then they’re fairly snug. I also put a speed bump at 6 o’clock in many of my rings. All this is to say that if your rings spin, the wrap may separate from the ER, and you don’t want that.
DK is masterful, so he’s prob thought of this: the emerald ring wrap I showed you ever so slightly hooks onto my ER. I have another sapphire wrap that I totally need to wear another ring on top to hold the whole ring sandwich together.

Idk if I’m making sense. I’ll try to take a pic. Here’s another way of illustrating my point: when I take my ER + emerald ring wrap off, I have to pull the engagement ring down and out from under the wrap. (A person “could” take them off in unison, but due to a bigger knuckle than ring area, I need to slightly finagle one off at a time from ANY stack I wear.)

I really am excited to see your vision come to fruition.

Thanks, I’m excited too, feels very painful waiting! I was hoping to get some amended cads back on Friday but it didn’t happen, sure they will come next week. My birthday is just under 2 weeks away I was hoping for something by then and I’m sure it might have happened with a simple solitaire but of course I always have to make things complicated! Maybe I will get a wax model for my birthday instead :D

I haven’t got that finger issue, my fingers taper down evenly although they do swell and shrink a lot, because of that I have speed bumps on another ring but they bug me so I am going to have them shaved off.

I would love a photo if you can possibly get one because whilst I understand what you are saying with your wrap I cannot visualise it. As I am in the UK I cannot send it back easily if it’s not quite right. I suspect DK doesn’t make many wraps, convertible ring/pendants I have seen on his insta but not wraps.

I am not sure if hooking will work in this case as it will hopefully have a raised pattern and design and I don’t want that to scratch. However I will wear it as the bottom ring, opposite to the cads hopefully that might help. I could always wear another band under if necessary as well I guess.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s good news about your fingers/spinning!! I’ll take a pic when I can, although it might not be necessary or relevant for your wrap. Not trying to confuse things. Think I was motivated by that 3 stone on James Allen myself. It really scratches an itch without committing

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s good news about your fingers/spinning!! I’ll take a pic when I can, although it might not be necessary or relevant for your wrap. Not trying to confuse things. Think I was motivated by that 3 stone on James Allen myself. It really scratches an itch without committing

No you haven’t at all, seems like wraps are as rare as hens teeth so all info gratefully received!
That’s interesting re the James Allen ring. I am definitely greedy and like the idea of variety without having to always wear green. Just adds to the versatility I think.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah so the baskets on the emeralds are lower on the underside furthest away from the band?

Exactly!! You articulated it so much better than I!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I just got the latest cad back. I much prefer the look of the wrap. But I am struggling with the fact that my prongs seem to have now gone down to six. Maybe I should got back to how he first had had the prongs (eeek). I just know I want this to be a prongtastic ring. I don’t know why he has dropped the prongs down to six he hasn’t said. Something to do with wanting them at the top and bottom maybe? B27C3ADB-6509-40C7-82A1-2DB8720113C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 3862D98F-DE51-42DD-B04B-BD3CD3ADC330.jpeg
    3862D98F-DE51-42DD-B04B-BD3CD3ADC330.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2ED69282-27E9-4418-986B-9782441F8340.jpeg
    2ED69282-27E9-4418-986B-9782441F8340.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 99439C1A-B9FE-46D4-90B1-72E929E596D3.jpeg
    99439C1A-B9FE-46D4-90B1-72E929E596D3.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 14

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It hasn’t posted the cads in order. The latest one is the third one down. They go 2,1,4,3

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like the emeralds look much bigger as well? Maybe to do with the prong placement.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher @Niel @Cerulean @motownmama
And anyone else who cares to comment.
Ok so these are the last cads I have had. From the first one below I asked DK to bring out the emeralds a bit more so they sat in the middle of the solitaire when it is worn. Put some of the pretty flowers at the top because they were at the bottom. Reduce the basket from the diamond.
73B7B1EF-5CD5-4202-B8EE-E8AD357FB6FA.jpeg
Now I am wondering if that basket should be a little bit more fluid and link better with the shank? Like @Niel ring? Thoughts on this. Also what about the prong placement. I like how it is on the diamond should I rotate on the emeralds or not? I’ve looked at antique 3 stone rings and plenty do have similar placement, but does it look off?
Really grateful for all the help so far on this, just want to get it signed off now!

Attachments

• A04245C1-CEBB-4943-AF86-877294AA33C2.jpeg
    A04245C1-CEBB-4943-AF86-877294AA33C2.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 9

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What will make it stay in place? Are you guys just baking on it staying in the space? Are you going to wrap some sort of silicon wrap around it? Are you wearing it with something else ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be a good idea to ask for a plastic/wax? version of this before you have him make it. I know someone else who recently tried to do a wrap, and due to getting the trial version, she dropped the project. A band with emeralds would be a much easier way to wear some green when you want!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What will make it stay in place? Are you guys just baking on it staying in the space? Are you going to wrap some sort of silicon wrap around it? Are you wearing it with something else ?

I’ve had the mould for the first design and it stayed in place. I dunno maybe it won’t work with metal. The emeralds are slightly further apart in the photo to what it will be irl 85173646-1836-4B16-9E96-732CDF24471C.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It would be a good idea to ask for a plastic/wax? version of this before you have him make it. I know someone else who recently tried to do a wrap, and due to getting the trial version, she dropped the project. A band with emeralds would be a much easier way to wear some green when you want!

Ha actually I ordered one of those earlier! I’ve got a wax model of the first CAD (see photo above) it stayed in place fine, though obviously that’s plastic not metal. It’s not just having the green though, I really want the flexibility of having a solitaire or a three stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results