shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help - solitaire with wrap

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I just got this cad from DK. It’s for an antique cushion with a wrap to make it look like a diamond and emerald 3 stone. I will want to wear as both a solitaire and a 3 stone look which is why I want to go for this option. The ring will be yellow gold with raised and engraved floral details, Victorian in style. It’s not going to have the detailing currently shown in the cad.

EDD89D70-4308-426D-986B-F2CA014CA694.jpeg

I would be so grateful for those knowledgeable with cads to suggest how it might be improved.
@Niel @rockysalamander and @Rfisher - I have just been on your thread about your 3 stone which I love and would be very grateful for your input.

At the moment my main thought is the emeralds are too high, so a lot of my thought process is based on trying to get them to sit at least level with the diamond.
- reduce size of emeralds to 4mm
- reorientate prongs on diamond so there is one in the north and south position I don’t like how they are configured at the moment.
- Reduce the depth of the shoulders so the emeralds can sit lower.
- raise the setting height of the diamond.

Has anyone got any further suggestions?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super quick - but I’ll come back later when I have more time to study this.
:love: I love love love this idea of yours! :love:
I think with the vertical measurement of 5.95 for the center stone, you do have room to play with in raising it, to address the one concern you mentioned.
My first thought though, upon reading this, is the underside of the diamond baskets possibly marring your detail on the solitaire shoulders?
I have no experience with wraps - so that thought might be totally unfounded.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Super quick - but I’ll come back later when I have more time to study this.
:love: I love love love this idea of yours! :love:
I think with the vertical measurement of 5.95 for the center stone, you do have room to play with in raising it, to address the one concern you mentioned.
My first thought though, upon reading this, is the underside of the diamond baskets possibly marring your detail on the solitaire shoulders?
I have no experience with wraps - so that thought might be totally unfounded.

Aww thanks for your enthusiasm! I was scared the first person was gonna come back and say what you thinking?! I know ring wraps aren’t particularly popular at the moment.
Underside of the diamond baskets, the ones the emeralds will sit in? Yeah not sure I had no photo to show DK I could not really find any :confused:
The shoulders have got a design on at the moment which is from my inspiration ring but they will have something floral on them.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@maryjane04 and @Cerulean if you have any thoughts would be grateful. No progress in the flowers for the solitaire yet!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a brilliant concept!

I do see the point about the side stones being lower.

If you reorient the prongs so there isn't one main stone prong between the two side stone prongs, won't there then be four prongs (two main stone and two side stone) mushed all together... ? I'm sure I'm not describing that very well!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean the underside of the diamond baskets scratching up your floral pattern that’s going on the shoulders of the main ring?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I guess hear me out will it stay any more sentry with the bar between the two diamonds? Because frankly I’d leave a space there

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could increase the height of your soli a bit in this instance. Also are you engraving on all three sides of your soli or just the one side?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a brilliant concept!

I do see the point about the side stones being lower.

If you reorient the prongs so there isn't one main stone prong between the two side stone prongs, won't there then be four prongs (two main stone and two side stone) mushed all together... ? I'm sure I'm not describing that very well!

Thanks, I’m really excited about it. I don’t know that I’m being terribly original perhaps just not been popular for a while.
Yeah I agree with the prongs maybe it could be 6 prongs instead.... (not that I have latched on to the 2020 prong craze at all ;)2)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mean the underside of the diamond baskets scratching up your floral pattern that’s going on the shoulders of the main ring?

Hmm yes I think I was ignoring that thought :rolleyes:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I guess hear me out will it stay any more sentry with the bar between the two diamonds? Because frankly I’d leave a space there

How would that work exactly?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you could increase the height of your soli a bit in this instance. Also are you engraving on all three sides of your soli or just the one side?

Three sides? What do you mean? Sorry think I am being stupid tonight

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Lol sorry I don't know what the correct term is.. on your shank.. there is the side that we see, the side that touches the wrap and the other side? LOL I don't know if I am making sense hahaha.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry I just looked at your CAD again and it looks like one fluid side. Would there be a risk of rubbing the engraving against the ring wrap?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol sorry I don't know what the correct term is.. on your shank.. there is the side that we see, the side that touches the wrap and the other side? LOL I don't know if I am making sense hahaha.

Oh no sorry it’s me had just finished a workout and was feeling a bit light headed lol erm I hadn’t even thought about it I was presuming not enough meat to do that and it would just be on the top. Not sure. Sides would look nice but think it would need to be made bulkier to do that I don’t want it to be bulky.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I just looked at your CAD again and it looks like one fluid side. Would there be a risk of rubbing the engraving against the ring wrap?

Yes I think that’s what @Rfisher was saying. It’s so hard when there are so few examples out there. I know people have done clip things before but I’m not sure that would be doable in this case.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In saying unless that metal bit (highlighted here) is functional and has some way to keep the ring from spinning it seems superfluous
735B42CB-6442-412A-AE23-7E7643687CD6.jpeg

Attachments

• C4723985-4B57-46F3-8738-BA8C0753844B.jpeg
    C4723985-4B57-46F3-8738-BA8C0753844B.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 42

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In saying unless that metal bit (highlighted here) is functional and has some way to keep the ring from spinning it seems superfluous

Got you. I will ask. If it can go that would better
Edit - Have sent an email il see what he says. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Ditto this - I think this would look gorgeous and show off the pretty side view of the soli.

It could be fun to get both engraved with the same pattern? Just an idea! Or go with a different texture for contrast - like plain matte finish on the wrap.

It is going to be gorgeous no matter what!

mjea

Shiny_Rock
So I just got this cad from DK. It’s for an antique cushion with a wrap to make it look like a diamond and emerald 3 stone. I will want to wear as both a solitaire and a 3 stone look which is why I want to go for this option. The ring will be yellow gold with raised and engraved floral details, Victorian in style. It’s not going to have the detailing currently shown in the cad.

EDD89D70-4308-426D-986B-F2CA014CA694.jpeg

I would be so grateful for those knowledgeable with cads to suggest how it might be improved.
@Niel @rockysalamander and @Rfisher - I have just been on your thread about your 3 stone which I love and would be very grateful for your input.

At the moment my main thought is the emeralds are too high, so a lot of my thought process is based on trying to get them to sit at least level with the diamond.
- reduce size of emeralds to 4mm
- reorientate prongs on diamond so there is one in the north and south position I don’t like how they are configured at the moment.
- Reduce the depth of the shoulders so the emeralds can sit lower.
- raise the setting height of the diamond.

Has anyone got any further suggestions?

I admit I’m not very good with CADs but my point for your consideration would be if you want the wrap shank to be the same width of your solitaire shank or thinner, and if there’s a way to match them so they sit flush. In the CAD it almost looks like there might be a space because the solitaire shank appears to taper a little?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ditto this - I think this would look gorgeous and show off the pretty side view of the soli.

It could be fun to get both engraved with the same pattern? Just an idea! Or go with a different texture for contrast - like plain matte finish on the wrap.

It is going to be gorgeous no matter what!

I’ve just had an email from him, he will try without.
When the design is finished and the engraving and design for the ring worked out I will definitely will look at a finish for the wrap. I don’t think I will go for the same but it might be matt or have milgrain along the edge or part of the pattern. Something to link the two perhaps.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I admit I’m not very good with CADs but my point for your consideration would be if you want the wrap shank to be the same width of your solitaire shank or thinner, and if there’s a way to match them so they sit flush. In the CAD it almost looks like there might be a space because the solitaire shank appears to taper a little?

Yes, good point thanks!
I am not convinced on the taper at all.
I am actually not bothered about them being the same width, in fact my preference for the wrap is for it to be thinner but I agree they should sit flush otherwise they won’t look like they go together!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, good point thanks!
I am not convinced on the taper at all.
I am actually not bothered about them being the same width, in fact my preference for the wrap is for it to be thinner but I agree they should sit flush otherwise they won’t look like they go together!

Actually (are you going mad when you start to quote yourself 2 mins later hmm) the taper is fairly integral to the design of the ring. I wonder if tapering the wrap slightly and changing the camber (probably not the right word exactly) on the band so they match might solve this issue of them not matching. Ie if they both taper there will be a gap but it will look deliberate. Also am I ever going to notice when it’s on, probably not as we are talking about a bit of my finger that will always be hidden.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Actually (are you going mad when you start to quote yourself 2 mins later hmm) the taper is fairly integral to the design of the ring. I wonder if tapering the wrap slightly and changing the camber (probably not the right word exactly) on the band so they match might solve this issue of them not matching. Ie if they both taper there will be a gap but it will look deliberate. Also am I ever going to notice when it’s on, probably not as we are talking about a bit of my finger that will always be hidden.

You are so right I apologize! It’s so easy for me to forget scale when looking at CADs but really we’re talking .1mm.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are so right I apologize! It’s so easy for me to forget scale when looking at CADs but really we’re talking .1mm.

No - no need for apologies, your input is very welcome and helpful :) I agree with you but as you say it’s cad so it’s going to be a bit smaller irl. I will probably tweak it but it probably won’t be terribly noticeable but I feel better for it being perfect even if I cannot see it;-)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2170F5FD-9584-447E-93DF-941A2D288A25.png

Here’s a rough idea of moving up your diamond by 1mm, what that looks like in relation to the emeralds.
You can also see that then leaves a gap inbetween them to play around with as well.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2D5CBD2E-C979-4BAB-8360-AEF01DA3C21B.jpeg I’m excited to see your final result!! This is an emerald ring wrap. I enjoy the versatility. Mine was not made from CAD etc; yours will be very very nice!!

I think your wrap is gorgeous Motownmama! Thanks for posting. That is exactly why I want a wrap. Plus someone posted a picture of a James Allen ring a few years ago with emerald sides and I fell in love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results