shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD and Waxes

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
This may be the stupidest question. In the history of PS and I probably should know the answer but I searched and wanna be 100%.

Should they match exactly?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To what extent?
Are you meaning to the mm?
Or to the finished design (prongs worked, other details)
Or a really different design aspect altogether?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The basic design elements should be there. However, the prongs likely won't be perfect and it will likely be "rough" compared to the finished ring you actually receive.

When I did my wife's custom with DK, we went through numerous CAD revisions. Then I got a greenish colored plastic model. We made more changes and then I got pictures of a purple wax model. It was too delicate to ship across the country plus we were on a time crunch, but the wax was much better IMO. Not just design elements we changed but it seemed sleeker, although not as refined as the actual ring itself.

I have this journey documented with pics, CADs and pictures of the plastic, wax and final ring. The models happened latter in the thread so you may want to fast forward several pages unless you want to read the whole thing.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge Thanks, I enjoyed reading your journey. The 2nd wax was perfect.

Here is the CAD and wax. I like about the prongs but the boxes are thicker on the wax then on the CAD. I raised this all with the jeweler, I want the CAD version but thought I'd check in here.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the sides (boxes) will be polished down.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I feel like the sides (boxes) will be polished down.

Agree. It's not a perfect representative of what it would be in metal. I have done the same thing with a wax model before and it all turned out fine.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is too small or the box too big.

Ditto; there is space around the diamond in the wax that is not evident in the CAD. It’s personal preference if you want/don’t want that, but either way it’s definitely something to address with the vendor making the ring to ensure the end result aligns with your expectations.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I think the stone is too small or the box too big.

Ah that is my fault. I just asked for any stone to be plopped in. The 2.8mm I had were too big and I think this guy was 2 or 2.3. The CAD was designed for 2.5.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Agree. It's not a perfect representative of what it would be in metal. I have done the same thing with a wax model before and it all turned out fine.

This is what I was hoping! Thank you, thank you, thank you. They are casting it shortly so I wanted to raise the alarm if necessary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results