shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I am glad you finally got your replacement since I know you missed your old ring. I assume you are going for the solitaire set again?

Most likely, just not sure what kind of solitaire I want yet. I was always partial the Classic Tiffany, but I’m liking 4 prong cathedrals more and more these days.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Most likely, just not sure what kind of solitaire I want yet. I was always partial the Classic Tiffany, but I’m liking 4 prong cathedrals more and more these days.
I like cathedrals only because I can switch around any band and they can still sit flush w/o a spacer. There are designs that can still sit low enough though. Your stone looks a bit bigger so I assume you went larger than 2 carats? Tianyu does a really nice OEC cut.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I like cathedrals only because I can switch around any band and they can still sit flush w/o a spacer. There are designs that can still sit low enough though. Your stone looks a bit bigger so I assume you went larger than 2 carats? Tianyu does a really nice OEC cut.

its 8.5mm so about 2.3 carats DEW.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll tag them for you..Good luck!
@swaye2010 @mrsgreeneyes
Hi mamabean - had a small favor to ask. I am trying to help someone out who is looking at either a Princess cut from Tianyu or the diamond ones sold at Costco. I know you picked up a pair when they had that accidental sale online. You are the only person I know that has both. Would it be possible to get a picture of one of the earrings next to the Tianyu moissanite so I can share that with her? No huge hurry but if you have the time this weekend Thank you!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
Two questions: does anyone here have lab diamond pave on their ring from Tianyu and does it look good? Secondly, H&A or OEC? I’ve had both and sadly my last OEC from them wasn’t as nice as the first and I’m wondering if H&A might be a better bet. I look forward to to your thoughts.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
Two questions: does anyone here have lab diamond pave on their ring from Tianyu and does it look good? Secondly, H&A or OEC? I’ve had both and sadly my last OEC from them wasn’t as nice as the first and I’m wondering if H&A might be a better bet. I look forward to to your thoughts.
There has been a lot more activity on the reddit moissanite page if you want to see a ton of examples. Most of the people on this thread seemed to have bought enough moissanite and things have really slowed down. I don’t have a lab diamond melee setting from Tianyu but I have had both of the H&A and an OEC from them. I think I did prefer the H&A if I were to pick one. I still love an OEC but I don’t think I will be satisfied until I get a diamond one. The H&A moissanite from them is still pretty nice.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
There has been a lot more activity on the reddit moissanite page if you want to see a ton of examples. Most of the people on this thread seemed to have bought enough moissanite and things have really slowed down. I don’t have a lab diamond melee setting from Tianyu but I have had both of the H&A and an OEC from them. I think I did prefer the H&A if I were to pick one. I still love an OEC but I don’t think I will be satisfied until I get a diamond one. The H&A moissanite from them is still pretty nice.
Thank you for responding. I asked for a H&A cut G/H color with pave lab diamonds halfway down the shank on each side. I hope it comes out beautifully.

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
Frenchie has arrived! To say Tianyu exceeded my expectations would be an understatement! The French cuts are divine and they did an outstanding job on the setting - it’s a nice weight and very, very comfortable. The setting is 18k white gold/palladium and each French cut is 2mm square.

Here is the CAD and close up of one of the stations:
6409BAEB-157A-41BE-AF98-12B631FBBE69.jpeg 60B70711-6E86-412D-AECB-795040D4DAA2.jpeg

I’ve learned that French cuts are deceptively difficult for me to photograph, constantly reflecting light so it makes it hard to get a good shot of the cut because of the sparkle. :mrgreen2:

Stacked with my bezel diamond band and OEC solitaire:
C558A959-4FD8-4FA4-9A7E-D9CD413929C9.jpeg
56E1B023-5F26-4021-B1D6-B9F39F9C0DA8.jpeg EE60DF52-22A6-44B2-AA10-598E3B18ED91.jpeg E211C947-6B01-4D66-8C93-B9AE3E0044AD.jpeg

With just the soli:
44B1E643-500A-4B39-8284-58E29A405517.jpeg C7944DCC-FCEC-46A6-A287-0B6522A6E6D1.jpeg

And why not try a stack with Sparkle Spice the ACC five stone while we’re at it, right?? :lol-2:
666D337B-9817-43B2-9397-C91C03387DEB.jpeg

So thrilled with this band! And now wishing I had more real estate underneath my knuckle so I could stack even more! :lol:

Hi! I know this is an older post but I just love your rings. I have an OEC solitaire that I was wanting to pair with a milgrain bezel band and yours is just stunning. The size looks perfect, may I ask the size of the band width and the stone size??? I love love love your Frenchie band as well and just may copy your whole darn stack if you don’t mind having a twin running around in LA, oh and mine will be in yellow gold.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I know this is an older post but I just love your rings. I have an OEC solitaire that I was wanting to pair with a milgrain bezel band and yours is just stunning. The size looks perfect, may I ask the size of the band width and the stone size??? I love love love your Frenchie band as well and just may copy your whole darn stack if you don’t mind having a twin running around in LA, oh and mine will be in yellow gold.

I thought I would respond since mrsgreeneyes hasn’t been active for awhile. I have the same bands you are talking about. I know her bezel band was diamonds and made by David Klass. Mine was 18K yellow made by Starsgem with DEF moissnaites. You could have the Chinese do it in lab diamonds now. It was 2 mm round’s with a milligrain edge.

The French cut is moissanite in 2mm square’s but they don’t come as lab diamonds yet though. We both had it done in 18K &. Palladium from Tianyu but they don’‘t offer that metal combination anymore. I would check out the miligrain options with each company and go wirh the price on the one like best. I think the band would look better in platinum or yellow gold.

DF494205-36CD-454C-9108-2F6D07F9CAB9.jpeg C7A8D661-77C8-4AC3-AB06-54BDE734CAA9.jpeg
3D1F8D02-6C98-43B9-A14B-5505DD2F1411.jpeg
237F0115-FD3A-481D-9B4B-3E9647FF51A8.jpeg
B91F74AD-95D9-4397-B3F9-7D3B4A4FAD55.jpeg
4BC8EC88-CDAD-4239-9C1A-6DD5949776C5.jpeg
5F456F9A-618F-49BA-89DB-29DC5A720BFE.jpeg

Last edited:

frugalfiancee

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I just got this video of my custon ring from Tianyu & am looking for some advice.
1. The pear side stones both have noticeable bow-ties. Am I allowed to ask them to swap these? Will they charge extra? Is it even possible to find a pear that small with no bowtie? (2.5x4mm)

2. How does the oval look? I might be in my own head but the facet at the very top of the ring looks very large/flat like a chunk is missing... Any thoughts?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

I just got this video of my custon ring from Tianyu & am looking for some advice.
1. The pear side stones both have noticeable bow-ties. Am I allowed to ask them to swap these? Will they charge extra? Is it even possible to find a pear that small with no bowtie? (2.5x4mm)

2. How does the oval look? I might be in my own head but the facet at the very top of the ring looks very large/flat like a chunk is missing... Any thoughts?

It is very difficult to get those small pear side stones without some sort of bow tie. You are seeing them in fancy lights though and they show up darker. I had a very similar ring and they look more white in daylight. On the oval itself, I think that is just the angle that you are seeing from the way she is holding the ring.

When I got my oval last year, they were still doing brilliant cuts which were very splintery. I know they are now doing the oval as H&A cut’s so you don’t have as big of a bow tie with those. I don’t really see anything wrong but they are moving the video pretty fast. You might be better satisfied if you see some still pics before they ship.

They had a promotion that started on December 1st but I am going to guess you probably placed your order before then?

frugalfiancee

Rough_Rock
It is very difficult to get those small pear side stones without some sort of bow tie. You are seeing them in fancy lights though and they show up darker. I had a very similar ring and they look more white in daylight. On the oval itself, I think that is just the angle that you are seeing from the way she is holding the ring.

When I got my oval last year, they were still doing brilliant cuts which were very splintery. I know they are now doing the oval as H&A cut’s so you don’t have as big of a bow tie with those. I don’t really see anything wrong but they are moving the video pretty fast. You might be better satisfied if you see some still pics before they ship.

They had a promotion that started on December 1st but I am going to guess you probably placed your order before then?

Thanks v much! I'll ask for some stills but I think you've mainly answered my questions. Yes I ordered on the 23rd so I just missed any promotions!

queen amygdala

Rough_Rock
Hello all !

I received a message from Tianyu today ... the ring is ready :D

I attach some photos and a video, tell me what you think!

Thank you all for your help

Your ring looks fantastic btw.

I know my gf likes this exact ring style you made (minus the side diamonds). Do you happen to have any post-purchase thoughts on your ring now that it's been awhile since receiving it? I'm considering going down the tianyu path too, and am also considering how to get the possible wedding band to stack nicely with it.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m waiting for a CAD for an emerald and side trapezoid based on @Morenita21’s blingy one. I want a 7x5 center so smaller. I have been happy with Tianyu in the past so didn’t even get a quote from anyone else. As @swaye2010 said, Reddit seems to be more active but I wanted to share here, with my fellow PSers.

My other rings from Tianyu were solitaires and I’ve learned that I’m a three stone and band gal. I’m really looking forward to this one and seeing the cad with a great design that has already been executed, just scaled down.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I’m waiting for a CAD for an emerald and side trapezoid based on @Morenita21’s blingy one. I want a 7x5 center so smaller. I have been happy with Tianyu in the past so didn’t even get a quote from anyone else. As @swaye2010 said, Reddit seems to be more active but I wanted to share here, with my fellow PSers.

My other rings from Tianyu were solitaires and I’ve learned that I’m a three stone and band gal. I’m really looking forward to this one and seeing the cad with a great design that has already been executed, just scaled down.

I have to say that of all the rings Tianyu made for me, the emerald cut with traps was the best. It was just too big for me (too blingy). I should have gone a little smaller. Can’t wait to see yours!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I always liked that ring too. We were sort of guessing on sizes back then but I think we have become much better. Most of the ladies that posted over here bought so many moissanites over 2 or 3 years and it just doesn’t get enough traffic over here to keep it all going. I try to link some posts back but the info is getting outdated and because of the name of the forum, I still think it is a confusing place to find. No other site calls moissanite ‘fashion jewelry’ when so many are now bought for e-rings.

If you get this done, post a version on reddit. I don’t think I have seen anyone else do something like this yet over there.

I still have my emerald with the engraved band. The traps are ok in size but I wish I had gone down to an 8x10 instead of an 11x9. It was tempting because of the price but we all eventually find our own comfort spot.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010 - I totally agree that having moissanite in FFJ is outdated! I just received the CAD and it’s perfect. I’ll post on Reddit the CAD and the finished ring when it arrives, hopefully in a few weeks.

Your emerald with the engraved band is one of my favorites!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@Morenita21 here is the smaller version of the ring that you ordered. 58857591-EBDA-4238-A224-59B5F5F744B3.jpeg D9E7CDE6-755B-47C4-9129-B3320CAF0866.jpeg
Center stone is 7x5. Ring is size 4.5 but I really wear a 4.

This is a great size for your finger. What do you think of it?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @swaye2010! I really like it. I love the size of the stones and the proportions of the sides with the center. I love a three stone and think that this is an appropriate size and is low set, which is important to me. Overall, I’m very happy!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Morenita21 here is the smaller version of the ring that you ordered. 58857591-EBDA-4238-A224-59B5F5F744B3.jpeg D9E7CDE6-755B-47C4-9129-B3320CAF0866.jpeg
Center stone is 7x5. Ring is size 4.5 but I really wear a 4.

It’s just beautiful! Elegant and classy. I am impressed. Enjoy.

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
Hello, again! I thought it might be easier to find and reference the Tianyu info if it had it's own thread, so here we are!

Tianyu Gems is a moissanite manufacturer and cutter located in China. I discovered them in early 2017 on Reddit - someone over there was discussing C&C's patent expiring and how it had caused their cutting houses to begin selling unbranded moissanite. At the time I had a colorless Forever One stone that I was pretty unhappy with:

IMG_2394.JPG

It had a dark, mushy center and I didn't like the splintery cut. As Tianyu's prices were so low, I figured I'd take the risk and order a stone from them. I fully anticipated I'd get something awful and then wouldn't be able to return it, basically I considered the money I spent a loss until proven otherwise. And yeah, it was proven otherwise.

IMG_2393.JPG

The stone I received was a much better H&A cut, and a clearer, brighter stone. I ordered a 7mm D/E color H&A cut. The above pics were taken in my very warmly lit bathroom, so not the best representation of color. I loved the stone so much I had David Klass set it in a 14k white gold/palladium bezel setting. His glamour shots do a better job of showing the actual color:

bezel1.jpg
bezel5.jpg

All-in, including shipping, this stone was $154. So basically at that point I was hooked! Haha Within a few weeks I ordered a 7.5mm F color OEC, though I will say their OECs lean a little more transitional. Again, I had David set it for me.

fullsizeoutput_5b45.jpeg
IMG_2809.JPG

David's videos: https://streamable.com/ez1gr

This ring and OEC are perfection. The stone never goes disco ball crazy like moissanite likes to do, it is just a gorgeous, dreamy stone. It was at this point I realized old cuts are my jam. I can appreciate the beauty of H&As and MRBs, but I am head over heels for old cuts.

Before I realized that, I had already ordered two 5mm H&As for David to bezel set as earrings for me. These are my everyday studs:

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.36.09 AM.png

Once I discovered I really loved antique-style cuts, I decided to give an ACC a try. I wanted to do a five-stone ring for my low-key days, and why not throw in a larger stone while I'm at it, right?? Thus, these 4mm F color baby ACCs and 7.5mm F color mama ACC came to live with me:

fullsizeoutput_5b48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b4d.jpeg

Oh! Hit my photo limit! Will continue in next post. :)

They look great! Does Moissanite have a certification system? Is it true that only an expert in a lab, after a great deal of examinination could tell the difference?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
They look great! Does Moissanite have a certification system? Is it true that only an expert in a lab, after a great deal of examinination could tell the difference?

Moissanite is usually VVS quality because it is a lab stone. This clarity rating is to the naked eye. Under 10x magnification, you may see pin pricks, gas bubbles or growth lines. It is fairly easy to tell the difference between a moissanite and a diamond when they are side by side. Most people are not going to notice on a finger though unless it is really huge. A jeweler will probably be able to tell the difference by looking a it if they are experienced with moissanite.

it is lab diamonds that are more difficult to tell apart and typically need to be viewed under a microscope.

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
Moissanite is usually VVS quality because it is a lab stone. This clarity rating is to the naked eye. Under 10x magnification, you may see pin pricks, gas bubbles or growth lines. It is fairly easy to tell the difference between a moissanite and a diamond when they are side by side. Most people are not going to notice on a finger though unless it is really huge. A jeweler will probably be able to tell the difference by looking a it if they are experienced with moissanite.

it is lab diamonds that are more difficult to tell apart and typically need to be viewed under a microscope.

It seems that the most obvious sign of lab made gems is the presence of tiny bubbles from the manufacturing process. Is that the best way to distinguish the difference?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It seems that the most obvious sign of lab made gems is the presence of tiny bubbles from the manufacturing process. Is that the best way to distinguish the difference?

There is no formal lab that certifies moissanite. Some vendors have their own cert’s but they are just a piece of paper more like a receipt to be used for insurance appraisal’sand warranty services.

You can see gas bubbles at times in moissanite under 10x magnification. I can see them in my larger ones with my naked eye. Lab diamonds are grown differently. A microscope is needed to be able to tell the difference between them and mined diamonds. I have both and they look the same to the naked eye. There are a few people on the lab diamond area that can answer questions more specifically about them.

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
There is no formal lab that certifies moissanite. Some vendors have their own cert’s but they are just a piece of paper more like a receipt to be used for insurance appraisal’sand warranty services.

You can see gas bubbles at times in moissanite under 10x magnification. I can see them in my larger ones with my naked eye. Lab diamonds are grown differently. A microscope is needed to be able to tell the difference between them and mined diamonds. I have both and they look the same to the naked eye. There are a few people on the lab diamond area that can answer questions more specifically about them.

As ever, the subject is way more complicated than I thought

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Soooo interestingly enough I am also a Redditor and frequent the moissanite sub. I flip flop between here and there. I recently asked a question concerning a cluster type ring and was told that moissanite bags are flat.
Which then caused me to rethink EVERYTHING. I’ve done changed my mind twice! I’m not scared per se, but a little embarrassed to go to “my guy” and tell him I want to change it all again.
Which bring me to why I’m here...I adore the extra sparkle a moissanite puts out and I am not interested in passing it off as diamond. With that being said, I want abig girl. (Just 2ct equivalent really) instead of tiny ladies.
I want a pear. Simple solitaire with side stones. Done.
From being on reddit and here I’ve seen a lot of people getting them from here, but I have reservations. Is there a return policy, are there any warranties, are they colorless, etc. Can anyone help me out with these please?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo interestingly enough I am also a Redditor and frequent the moissanite sub. I flip flop between here and there. I recently asked a question concerning a cluster type ring and was told that moissanite bags are flat.
Which then caused me to rethink EVERYTHING. I’ve done changed my mind twice! I’m not scared per se, but a little embarrassed to go to “my guy” and tell him I want to change it all again.
Which bring me to why I’m here...I adore the extra sparkle a moissanite puts out and I am not interested in passing it off as diamond. With that being said, I want abig girl. (Just 2ct equivalent really) instead of tiny ladies.
I want a pear. Simple solitaire with side stones. Done.
From being on reddit and here I’ve seen a lot of people getting them from here, but I have reservations. Is there a return policy, are there any warranties, are they colorless, etc. Can anyone help me out with these please?

I am not clear what your question is regarding the type of moissanite look you are going for? A 2 carat brilliant pear is going to be quite sparkly and is a good choice. If you are looking for something like tapered baguette side stones, I think that will look fine. Having had them myself, it might be better to go with the long, skinny version if moissanite baguettes are what you truly want. Don’t expect them to sparkle like a round though. I have both and they don’t even sparkle that much in diamonds. You also have the option to buy a loose stone and have it set by a jeweler online or more locally to you. That way, the ring is at least warrantied and they will probably check your pear out for you and clean it each year to make sure everything is in tact.

Fancy cuts can be colorless in the DEF range. Sometimes larger or crushed ice might show some body tint. There is no warranty from China because they are being sold much cheaper then US prices. There is a trade off for that. A 2 carat pear will be in the $150-$200 range vs some of the other US companies that might charge up to $1000 for a loose stone. It really comes down to your budget and the after sales services that you would like in the future.

There are a lot of posts on here and weddingbee because that is where we started this ordering process with these Chinese vendors. Lately, there is just more traction over on Reddit because it reaches more people. This website is more of a mined stone site and just doesn’t have the volume of new users on this part of the forum. It does, however, have a ton project history for Tianyu, Starsgem and Provence and is worth looking through for ring ideas before ordering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results