shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Ringcurious

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me advice on copying this ring. It's my diamond engagement ring which I inherited from my family and while I love it I'm fed up of paying crazy money to insure it so I'm planning on putting it in the bank and getting a copy made.

After reading through this forum I messaged Ella at Tianyu and she quoted me 645 + 35 delivery for an FG 8mm stone in platinum 745 + 35 for a 9mm (the actual is about 8.5mm).

So my questions are:
- It's important to me that the copy does look like the original but will Tianyu be able to do a good job on the detail in the setting?
- If not, should I just go for a standard setting? Will it save me money? And what I like about my setting is that it's pretty delicate yet flat, does anyone know of a standard setting they do which is also like that?
- And finally, I am not a good caretaker of my jewelry, I never take it off (or clean it - you can see the ring in my pics needs a good scrub!). And I plan to wear the copy ring in the same way, so it's there anything I should ask for to make the ring more robust (while keeping it all tiny and delicate of course ;-) ).

I'd be so grateful for any advice you can offer!! Thank you!

IMG_20190921_110610845.jpg
IMG_20190921_110731898.jpg

IMG_20190921_110740477.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me advice on copying this ring. It's my diamond engagement ring which I inherited from my family and while I love it I'm fed up of paying crazy money to insure it so I'm planning on putting it in the bank and getting a copy made.

After reading through this forum I messaged Ella at Tianyu and she quoted me 645 + 35 delivery for an FG 8mm stone in platinum 745 + 35 for a 9mm (the actual is about 8.5mm).

So my questions are:
- It's important to me that the copy does look like the original but will Tianyu be able to do a good job on the detail in the setting?
- If not, should I just go for a standard setting? Will it save me money? And what I like about my setting is that it's pretty delicate yet flat, does anyone know of a standard setting they do which is also like that?
- And finally, I am not a good caretaker of my jewelry, I never take it off (or clean it - you can see the ring in my pics needs a good scrub!). And I plan to wear the copy ring in the same way, so it's there anything I should ask for to make the ring more robust (while keeping it all tiny and delicate of course ;-) ).

I'd be so grateful for any advice you can offer!! Thank you!

IMG_20190921_110610845.jpg
IMG_20190921_110731898.jpg

IMG_20190921_110740477.jpg
I don’t see anything that would be too difficult for them to replicate. It is hard to tell but it looks like an antique style diamond. I don’t know if you plan on doing an OEC or a H&A cut for your replica ring. The older cuts look better in the near colorless. I prefer the modern cut in the near colorless as well but that is really about personal choice. I think you just need to send them pictures and measurements of all the dimensions on your ring if you want an exact copy. Maybe get a pair of calipers off of Amazon or see a jeweler to make sure. It seems like a reasonable price in platinum. You can always ask them to cut an 8.5 if you don’t want to go up to a 9 mm.

lovebezels

Rough_Rock
I like the OEC better from Tianyu. We should ask about sales more often. I just happened to catch the $39 sale for 1.5 DEF for SG last month but it wasn’t advertised too much.

@swaye2010, if you happened to pick up an extra 7.5mm at that sale price, and plan to list on lt or db, and/or if you get wind of another monster sale like that, please let me know :D! Thanks!!!

veridot

Rough_Rock
Hello- could anyone confirm if I have the right details for a Tianyu contact? I contacted Annabella at +8615878057689 and was shocked at how low the price was compared to Mona.

Thank you!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello- could anyone confirm if I have the right details for a Tianyu contact? I contacted Annabella at +8615878057689 and was shocked at how low the price was compared to Mona.

Thank you!
I have always only talked to Ella at [email protected]. I know that Annabella is good and knowledgeable as well. I am not sure if that is her WhatsApp number though. I think it can be found on their Alibaba page unless someone else chimes in with it. It is their version of 4th of July this week so I know that they are off and the factory is closed so I am not sure if anyone will answer until Sunday night again though....

lovebezels

Rough_Rock

Thank you!

This is the e-mail address I have used to communicate with Annabella, [email protected]

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
I love this set, @Sezzwho! That ACC is one gorgeous stone! :kiss2:

I ordered two 6.5mm G/H color OECs from Tianyu and had them set them in platinum martini settings. They did a great job and I am super pleased with them. Now I just have to get used to the weight! :lol:

I know this is an old thread but I ordered martini studs from Provence and they are awful.. by any chance do you have any other photos of yours? They are so pretty! Also, do they sit low on your ear? Glad you got a pair you love:)

fullsizeoutput_5d26.jpeg

Earrings are hard to photograph for me because I can never seem to get both stones at the same angle. But they are a well matched set, even though in my pic it kinda looks like one table is larger than the other. It's not in real life!

NoraAnn

Rough_Rock
Sometimes when I was unsure of how the stone looked in the video, I would just ask the rep. See if she thinks the color of the stone looks good and that it is not uneven with just showing yellow at the top and bottom of the stone. That is what kind of worries me about this cut. My stone has equal color distribution even though it is warm. If she thinks it looks wrong, you can push them to cut a new one. If she says it looks fine, then you might have to accept the stone as it is. I don’t mind a warmer stone in yellow gold. I actually prefer it. Anything stark white does not look as good on me.

I do have to also say that the emerald is by far the most difficult stone to take pictures or videos of because of the double refraction. They actually show a lot of rainbow color and dark centers but then look white in person. The phone camera case can also show up as color on the moissanite. I guess what I am saying is that it is really hard to tell so I would ask her what she sees.
Update on my GH emerald cut ring! It arrived and is beautiful in person, the workmanship is wonderful, and it is the perfect amount of warmth for me. The colour is a bit noticeable under low light but not nearly as much as in the original video, definitely a case of the cut not photographing well. Tianyu ended up remaking the setting for me without me prompting it, it looks like they made the prongs sturdier which I definitely appreciated. I'm so glad it turned out so well! Thank you for your advice with the stone! =)2 IMG_20191001_230152132.jpg IMG_20191001_230254031.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_230825406.jpg
    IMG_20191001_230825406.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I would like to ask my girlfriend in marriage. It's been 10 years since we've been together (since our 16 years) and soon 2 years we live as a couple. We are from Belgium.

I would like to offer her a beautiful engagement ring. I do not want real diamonds. I looked for alternatives and I came across the moissanite. I discovered Tianyu Gems, and finally, this forum.

I found a lot of useful information. Thank you to all of you !

I made contact with Tianyu. I showed them the ring I want them to make for me. I paid $ 50 for the CAD.

Here is the ring I would like.

I do not know anything about rings and stones. I do not want a stone too big, my companion is not very demonstrative and she has little fingers (4.25).

I took a size 0.7ct. H&A cut. 18k white gold.

I chose synthetic diamonds on the side.

For color, I took D. What do you think? I do not know myself. I saw that it was the whitest. I wish it was diamond.

I want something that shines. And say "wow" when she sees it. (And of course, she says yes also lol)

In short, what do you think of all this? What are your advices ? What should I watch out for?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

PS: sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Attachments

• x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg
    x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 244
  • x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg
    x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 231
    42.5 KB · Views: 225

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I would like to ask my girlfriend in marriage. It's been 10 years since we've been together (since our 16 years) and soon 2 years we live as a couple. We are from Belgium.

I would like to offer her a beautiful engagement ring. I do not want real diamonds. I looked for alternatives and I came across the moissanite. I discovered Tianyu Gems, and finally, this forum.

I made contact with Tianyu. I showed them the ring I want them to make for me. I paid $ 50 for the CAD.

I do not know anything about rings and stones. I do not want a stone too big, my companion is not very demonstrative and she has little fingers (4.25).

For color, I took D. What do you think? I do not know myself. I saw that it was the whitest. I wish it was diamond.

I want something that shines. And say "wow" when she sees it. (And of course, she says yes also lol)

In short, what do you think of all this? What are your advices ? What should I watch out for?

Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Before you do anything, I would make sure your intended is good with moissanite. I know you said you don't want a diamond, but please make sure she isn't expecting one before you spend your time and money on creating this ring.

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Before you do anything, I would make sure your intended is good with moissanite. I know you said you don't want a diamond, but please make sure she isn't expecting one before you spend your time and money on creating this ring.
Thank you for your answer.

No, she doesn't expect it. We talked about it one day and she looked at me with big eyes. She said, "I don't want a ring that's expensive, really, $300 maximum, and I don't want diamonds, it's against my principles."

Well, his ring will still cost more. She loves the beauty of diamonds, but she does not like the cost (she works with disadvantaged people and does not support it well) and what it represents (in terms of human rights).

But I want to offer him a ring as beautiful as a diamond ring. That's why I thought about moissanite.

She is very reserved about what she has.

Just a beautiful ring, which lasts in time and looks like it ... if I take a real diamond, I would be wrong, I'm sure. I don't want to make it uncomfortable day-to-day. She is like that. And that's also why I love him.

I could buy a jewelery here. Unfortunately, prices are flying (it would go against its principles) and moissanite is not super quality. We do not really have a choice (on the shape, the color or the cut)

So I'm looking for quality at a low price. It will match him...

Thanks for your help !

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the ring you have chosen is beautiful and tasteful. the CAD looks good. i can't think of anything to watch out for except once the ring is made to make sure you get photo and video before they ship it out so you can check thoroughly for any flaws.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

I think for the size you have chosen, it will certainly look like a diamond with little double refraction in the H&A cut. I would suggest to at least go for the lab diamond pave instead of moissanite pave as the sparkle is much nicer. The really tiny moissanite can be very flat and they are very hard to maintain if she ever loses a stone. If you are in Belgium, most people don’t really know what moissanite is. There are a few in the UK selling one and maybe a few popping up as time goes on. Lab diamonds are harder and will hold up better over time. If this is a daily wear ring, I think that is important.

I think Tianyu can make a nice ring for you like this. If you go with white gold, it will be rhodium dipped to make it shiny and that has to be maintained every few years. I would suggest to use platinum for white metals unless you are going with yellow or rose gold. You said she has small fingers but I would try to keep the band around 2 mm wide and at least 1.6 mm thick.

If you are over the $500 USD mark, then you can mention autumnsoupgirl and they should give you a 3% discount on your purchase.

Tianyu will mail the ring with DHL Speedpak with 3 day delivery. They usually mark it as silver & CZ so the VAT is low. I had to pay about $16 to custom’s to get it released in Sweden. Not sure about Belgium but I assume it will be much the same.

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your answers. It's not the CAD yet, these are the photos I sent to create the CAD.

I asked this as measures:

Ring width: 2.60 mm
Thickness metal: 1.80 mm
Thickness claws: 1.20 mm
Ring height: 4.20 mm

These settings seem good to you? It's those of the original ring.

At first, I wanted to take moissanite for paving. Reading the forum, I finally decided to take laboratory diamonds.

I hesitate with platinum. I do not know if it's really better. I read that it was harder to work. And especially that it was less resistant to scratches and that the welds tended to see each other. So I'm scared: /

I will give the discount code, thanks! I will also ask that they declare a cheaper price for customs. Normally, with the current price, I should pay around $ 170 more. If I can save some money ...

Thank you !

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your answers. It's not the CAD yet, these are the photos I sent to create the CAD.

I asked this as measures:

Ring width: 2.60 mm
Thickness metal: 1.80 mm
Thickness claws: 1.20 mm
Ring height: 4.20 mm

These settings seem good to you? It's those of the original ring.

At first, I wanted to take moissanite for paving. Reading the forum, I finally decided to take laboratory diamonds.

I hesitate with platinum. I do not know if it's really better. I read that it was harder to work. And especially that it was less resistant to scratches and that the welds tended to see each other. So I'm scared: /

I will give the discount code, thanks! I will also ask that they declare a cheaper price for customs. Normally, with the current price, I should pay around $ 170 more. If I can save some money ...

Thank you !
The measurements look ok. I would post the CAD when you receive it. Lab diamonds in these small melee sizes will be so much better and will not be a big difference in price.

There are different types of platinum and in some forms the alloys are not as durable as other’s. The Chinese companies use PT950 and I found that it did not scratch as bad as some other combinations like those from a high street store. I also like the patina of platinum and it works better for pave IMO.
I am not keen on the constant dipping needed to maintain white gold but some people like the shiny mirror finish. Gold is still very durable and light weight but I think this setting would look a little nicer in platinum. Every person feels differently about this though. I don’t think you have to worry about the durability as I have tried many platinum rings from them. The scratches with both metals are inevitable though and not as big of a deal when they are on the underside of the ring.

Good luck!

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
I received my CAD.
What do you think ?

0.png

I give you the original images.

716824 716823 716822

I have a little trouble with the CAD version. I have the impression that the CAD is very different from the original image.

I have the impression that claws for side diamonds are very visible. We do not see them on the original photo.

I am not sure of the overall form either.

But hey it's a CAD and I do not know how it will work. Do you think I have to make changes? I want it to look like the original ring best.

Thank you in advance !

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I received my CAD.
What do you think ?

0.png

I give you the original images.

x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg x0-70-carats-bague-de-fiancailles-diamant-en-or-blanc-avec-diamants-sur-les-c-t-s.jpg.pagespee...jpg

I have a little trouble with the CAD version. I have the impression that the CAD is very different from the original image.

I have the impression that claws for side diamonds are very visible. We do not see them on the original photo.

I am not sure of the overall form either.

But hey it's a CAD and I do not know how it will work. Do you think I have to make changes? I want it to look like the original ring best.

Thank you in advance !
The only thing I would change is to get the bottom bumped up to 1.6 mm. That is still very thin but the bottom of the ring takes the most bumps and hits.

All CAD’s look like that with the prongs and I know it throws a lot of people off. Since it is a computer design, the pictures are generated so the prongs will get cast with them standing straight up. Then the pave setter will come in and set the stones and bend them down again. It will look very normal on the completed ring.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is if she plans on wearing a band in addition to this ring? This is not custom in every European country. If she does, it will need a very small spacer to keep from rubbing on the criss/cross of that trellis prong. They are tiny little gold spacers that can be bought off of etsy or ebay.co.uk. If not, then I think she will be fine with the ring as it is. It looks like a very durable design since the stones are bead set and it sits very low. I am think you did a good job!

BMI

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful setting! I just wanted to point out that the CAD is for a 7mm stone which is the approximate equivalent to 1.25 Ct and you said earlier that you wanted a .7 Ct stone which would be much closer to a 6mm stone.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ack sorry, i thought your first images were the CAD. the claws/prongs look bulkier because they will file them down after they set the stone. i wouldn't worry about that but just make sure you get good images before they send it to you.

good catch bmi on the stone diameter.

please let us know how it turns out!

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your great advice!

Indeed, I want a 0.7ct stone. I don't want too big, my girlfriend has small fingers. She doesn't want a showy stone. Something small and pretty. I try to offer him the perfect ring taking a maximum account of his preferences.

I will share your comments with Tianyu!

Reactions: BMI

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your great advice!

Indeed, I want a 0.7ct stone. I don't want too big, my girlfriend has small fingers. She doesn't want a showy stone. Something small and pretty. I try to offer him the perfect ring taking a maximum account of his preferences.

I will share your comments with Tianyu!
That was a good catch by BMI. You definitely want to go down because it is closer to US sizes. A 6 mm seems more appropriate.

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
That was a good catch by BMI. You definitely want to go down because it is closer to US sizes. A 6 mm seems more appropriate.
Finally, I chose a size of 6.1 - 6.2mm. Thanks for your advices ! I hope everything will be fine for the future. I am waiting for the update of my CAD because as BMI said, the size was bad. There are also one or two small details on which I asked for an improvement.

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Good news ! I received the update of my CAD. Everything seems good now, do not you think?

I asked that the claws of the central stone be more pointed.

They made changes in the claws of the side diamonds.

And they updated the size of the stone.

194F8925-FA46-4E10-AAA4-B837A2B1409C.png

Reactions: BMI

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, but will you have them fabricate a matching wedding band that follows the ring's contours?

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
I'm not yet at this stage but later I guess yes

coconuttynut

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to tell me if this setting from Brilliant Earth is too complex for Tianyu?

I love this setting but the ring has sadly been discontinued.

A couple of questions:
1. Is this setting too complicated?
2. Platinum vs. 18k yellow gold --> would love your opinion!
3. I'd like to make the center stone smaller than what's shown in the Brilliant Earth stock photos. Does Tianyu provide smaller center moissanite stones that are 0.5 carats or under?

Thanks all!

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 3.16.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 3.16.08 PM.png

jimmylet

Rough_Rock
Hello all !

I received a message from Tianyu today ... the ring is ready :D

I attach some photos and a video, tell me what you think!

Thank you all for your help

Attachments

• 微信图片_20191019162542.jpg
    微信图片_20191019162542.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 115
  • 微信图片_20191019162533.jpg
    微信图片_20191019162533.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 微信图片_20191019162538.jpg
    微信图片_20191019162538.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 111

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks GREAT!!! Best Wishes on the engagement!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
My OEC came yesterday! It’s stunning. I’m so happy with it.

8.5mm GH
CFE1101C-B8EE-408A-89A7-453D37170244.jpeg B59C8CA9-B2C2-4B08-89D9-3DC64F32C393.jpeg
I am glad you finally got your replacement since I know you missed your old ring. I assume you are going for the solitaire set again?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results