shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Drm546

Rough_Rock
My rings were all super well made. Like 6-8 grams of platinum weight. The ones that don’t last are when the bands are made too thin. I did that once and I won’t do it again. Just post your CAD when you get it and we will help you out. You will be fine with lab diamonds.

What do you think of the pic above? Tried to share video on here, but it's not right format?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of the pic above? Tried to share video on here, but it's not right format?
You have to use imgur for pictures and videos. It is just easier or the photo degrades on here. It is really hard to tell from their pic’s. The stones are always so much better in person. You could ask for a few more pics or I might be able to tell a bit better from a video. I don’t know if the octagon cut is a brilliant cut or H&A cut? You are the first one to get this cut so it is a little harder to judge against other cuts.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_20190904_191804.jpg

This is my ring, looks a centre stone seems a little hazey? Is this normal? I know it's a custom octagon cut, so may be that? Also not as sparkly as I expected
Does it look hazy or cloudy to you when you look at it?

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
52DB22E6-8D22-4B69-820C-C31C8C0C205C.jpeg

Promotion on Emily instagram page

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @MeowMeow! I just got it today! It took me almost the whole day..but I warmed up to it and now I love it..It’s just so different from anything I have..It has great finger coverage! It looks just as good as an AV moissy. I have two from AV so I feel qualified to say that..:lol:

This stone is so lovely! Did you ask for it to be specially cut or send pics, or is this there stock stone? Do you mind sharing who you worked with and how to contact them? I'm a little confused about the best way to go about ordering from the Chinese vendors.

Thank you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Decision_Decisions Thank you! The stone is from Tianyu...It was cut for me.... although they do have some sizes in stock...I always ask for photos before setting. The stone was very pretty but the setting they made was too light and I didn’t like it. That’s why I had David Klass make me a new setting for it. I felt it was worth it because the stone is really lovely. I work with Ella at Tianyu. She is very prompt considering the time difference...We exchange emails which is easy for me...

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
@Decision_Decisions Thank you! The stone is from Tianyu...It was cut for me.... although they do have some sizes in stock...I always ask for photos before setting. The stone was very pretty but the setting they made was too light and I didn’t like it. That’s why I had David Klass make me a new setting for it. I felt it was worth it because the stone is really lovely. I work with Ella at Tianyu. She is very prompt considering the time difference...We exchange emails which is easy for me...

Thank you for the information! Would you mind sharing her email? Did you have it custom cut just for size/color or specifically for cut? I want to know what I have to request to get one cut just like this in the size & color I'm looking for. How long did it take from ordering to receive it? I'm dealing with return window timing for a potential setting.
Thanks so much!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the information! Would you mind sharing her email? Did you have it custom cut just for size/color or specifically for cut? I want to know what I have to request to get one cut just like this in the size & color I'm looking for. How long did it take from ordering to receive it? I'm dealing with return window timing for a potential setting.
Thanks so much!
@Decision_Decisions I tell her exactly what I want in color and size. The clarity is always excellent so I don’t mention that.
This is the email I contact her with..Address her by Ella..
[email protected]

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to post a close up of the faceting on my Tianyu OEC Stones (clearly I have a thing for them!).

The first one I purchased this spring (set into my original engagement ring with a platinum head and yellow gold shank - set by David Klass but not a DK ring) - 7mm or so :
6ACBF644-B888-41C9-B72B-83D5DF4C13E3.jpeg

The second one set into a Tianyu platinum ring (7.5mm):
4A4391A8-6DE0-471B-A298-E8AF219395AA.jpeg

The third set into a yellow gold setting by Tiyanu (6.5mm):
0E6EF620-170D-45AA-B848-7ACFB1273F6E.jpeg

To compare, the OEC diamond from my original engagement ring put back into its original home by David Klass (7.1mm or so) - I found this much more difficult to take a picture of:
5A2E948B-8BC3-4215-802B-9C8B730BAFF3.jpeg

I’m really happy with the Tianyu Stones.

I know this is old, but what color are all your OEC stones? I'm trying to decide what to go with. I don't want a visible tint but I also don't prefer an icy white look since it looks more like a cz to my eyes.

Thanks!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this is old, but what color are all your OEC stones? I'm trying to decide what to go with. I don't want a visible tint but I also don't prefer an icy white look since it looks more like a cz to my eyes.

Thanks!

Hi! The first in that post is GH and the others EF (at least I think that’s how they were classified). I prefer the GH. No color to my eye but not icy white.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply! They're offering me GH, FG, or DEF. Has anyone heard this before? I feel like most people have mentioned GH or DEF.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got fg stones from tianyu (not oec shape) and they are very white. Not sure how the color looks in different cuts. I probably would have gone with gh had i been able to compare in a lineup but it was a custom cut so i had to make my best guess. I have a gh from starsgem that is vanilla colored and wanted a less tinted look for the tianyu ring. Can they show you a photo or video lineup since they probably have some in stock?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also got FG from them and am happy with the color. I would normally get GH but didn't want to risk them being much warmer than that so went with FG instead.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went with DEF because the Stones from India were supposed to be colorless and they were very warm...I didn’t want that to happen with the Tianyu stones..They wound up being very white...

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply! They're offering me GH, FG, or DEF. Has anyone heard this before? I feel like most people have mentioned GH or DEF.
I think they do a color in-between but most people just use colorless or near colorless. I think the ‘F’ stones are still going to be classified as colorless based on what I have read on other vendor websites. I always got G/H for an OEC and a H&A cut. The OEC was not icy white but still very white. Same for the H&A. Still a very white stone with no real tint. I would suggest colorless for any fancy cut. The antique cuts should be G/H to look the best. The H&A can go either way but it depends on the look you like. I think the near colorless looks more natural to me.
5EC3A04F-BD96-4EAF-A27E-253032670EB9.jpeg

Attachments

• 637B0F8C-E874-4CEE-A0CA-979475315BD0.jpeg
    637B0F8C-E874-4CEE-A0CA-979475315BD0.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 68

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the input. They sent me a video comparing the two that I'd love to share so I can get opinions on color and cut, but I don't know how to do things like that!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input. They sent me a video comparing the two that I'd love to share so I can get opinions on color and cut, but I don't know how to do things like that!
Just download the imgur app. You hit the + and then select the video from your saved videos or pics. Choose ’hidden’ instead of public and copy and paste the link here.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, I think I may have gotten it!

http://imgur.com/a/HG7s4vw

How do these stones look? I'm concerned with the dark centers, but I know that will always be there to some extent, based on the other stones I've seen. I think GH will meet my needs, but if the FG seems like a better fit I'm ok with paying extra. Any help is greatly appreciated!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How do these stones look? I'm concerned with the dark centers, but I know that will always be there to some extent, based on the other stones I've seen. I think GH will meet my needs, but if the FG seems like a better fit I'm ok with paying extra. Any help is greatly appreciated!
The dark centers are due to the OEC cut. I honestly don't see any differences between these. How much extra is the price?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I also don’t see much difference in color. Mine does go a bit dark I’m the center but that’s part of the charm. :)

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I'm not positive on price difference yet but I don't think it's huge.

Yeah, from what I've seen I think all of the OEC moissanites can go dark in the center in some lighting. Just hoping these wouldn't be dark all the time because that might be distracting.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not positive on price difference yet but I don't think it's huge.

Yeah, from what I've seen I think all of the OEC moissanites can go dark in the center in some lighting. Just hoping these wouldn't be dark all the time because that might be distracting.

I wouldn’t pay the premium for F. I’d just go GH

kewpee

Rough_Rock
IMG_20190904_191804.jpg

This is my ring, looks a centre stone seems a little hazey? Is this normal? I know it's a custom octagon cut, so may be that? Also not as sparkly as I expected

Did you try cleaning it? Mine was dirty when I received it, but very sparkley after cleaning.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A6EA8985-C675-4FDA-A377-4C85AD56D65C.jpeg FD5AEF9E-667E-4A0F-80B9-471D5B5FA20D.jpeg
I thought you girls would like to see their medium blue moissanite. It’s colored throughout and not coated like other moissanites. It’s very light...I could barely see the blue unmounted. I sent it to David to make into a pendant. I can definitely see the blue now. I get it Tuesday or Wednesday!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A6EA8985-C675-4FDA-A377-4C85AD56D65C.jpeg FD5AEF9E-667E-4A0F-80B9-471D5B5FA20D.jpeg
I thought you girls would like to see their medium blue moissanite. It’s colored throughout and not coated like other moissanites. It’s very light...I could barely see the blue unmounted. I sent it to David to make into a pendant. I can definitely see the blue now. I get it Tuesday or Wednesday!
Pretty!! What other colors are there?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty!! What other colors are there?
They have lots...Yellow, green blue,
deeper blue like sapphire....Check out IG..They don’t coat their stones like a lot of others.

Last edited:

larabe

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking to make some travel rings with Starsgems or Tianyu (a half eternity of 5-6 stones made with 4mm rounds, and the other would be a 7.5 or 8mm solitaire round). I'd really appreciate some advice. :pray:

1. For a 5 or 6 stone half eternity ring, I'd be getting 4mm rounds. For stones that small, does it make much of a difference if I ask for OEC or H&A? Will it be noticeable? A lot of posters recommend G/H or even warmer color grades because otherwise DEF moissanites look to glassy and "fake." However, I might occasionally wear it with my own e-ring which is a F color. I don't want them to not match. Will DEF 4mm moissanites be a good match? Or will they just match the color but look fake or not lively? If I get G/H 4mm for the half eternity, will they be noticeably warmer than my F color e-ring? What do you guys mean when you say DEF stones look unnatural? In what way? I've never seen moissanites in person, so more specific descriptions would be helpful.

2. For the 7.5 or 8mm solitaire, I want it bezel set. If it was prong set, I'd have no problem wearing the 8mm, but since bezels add more continuous area to the stone --> looking larger, should I go smaller and get the 7.5 so it's not overwhelming? Since I currently wear an oval ring, I'm not sure if an 8mm round+ extra circumference of a bezel will look too big on me. For reference, my finger size is 4.5 or 4.75 so I don't want a disproportionately large solitaire. My oval is roughly 9 x 6.5 mm and I find it the goldilocks size, not big or small, just right. I've also seen many people say that beyond 1 or 1.5 carat equivalents, moissanites can look /too/ sparkly and unreal. Should I just stick to 7.5 which is supposed to be a ~1.5 carat equiv? Does .5mm really make that much of a difference?

3. Shape - I thought I'd order a round so I can enjoy wearing another shape and also since my research so far has said that for moissanites, rounds are the most diamond like looking shape. I read that for ovals, cushions, etc the proportions/lw ratios are often a little off and they don't sparkle the same way, but that rounds are most similar to diamonds. Do people here tend to agree?

I've tried to read through most of the two very long Tianyu & Starsgems threads but I'm confused on a few things. Hope I'm not re-asking questions that may have already been answered but that I missed while going through the threads! :whistle:

Thanks guys :dance:

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
Hello,

New here and interested in Tianyu moissanites for e ring/anniversary. Are mrsgreeneyes or swaye2010 still here? They seemed to hit on what I'm looking for but still had other questions. I'm looking at 6.6mm likely a cushion but wonder I will regret it over a round if I want "sparkly"? The term "disco ball" fills me with excitement and fear lol! I want a lot of fire and rainbow but not insane. I'm thinking of hearts and arrows if I would go with round but would it work for a cushion too? Would I lose a lot of sparkle with a cushion vs round? I definitely dont want OEC based on the black hole. Hopefully I can attach a pic i found for my ideal setting. I also want to have a stacked leaf dot and dainty eternity band with it for total 3 rings. I have diamonds for those. Thank you! IMG_0541.JPG-1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results