shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, do you think I ask to change design, need the ring by 13th September though, and she has office job, how about if I ask for more moissanites?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, do you think I ask to change design, need the ring by 13th September though, and she has office job, how about if I ask for more moissanites?
You shouldn’t have to change the design if they haven’t started production. I would just ask Ella, if that is who you are working with, if it is possible just to get lab diamond pave instead. The overall look will be so much nicer and the whole setting will look more diamond like.

Hopefully the price change isn’t too much. I am not sure what your total is but if you are over $500, you can mention my user name (angelwaye) from another site and you will get 3% more off the total.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
I mean do you think I change from pave design? Not sure if they have started with the setting yet, I've got it in platinum so it's abit more than $500, and thanks for discount.

I will ask for a quote on diamond paving now! Thanks

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I mean do you think I change from pave design? Not sure if they have started with the setting yet, I've got it in platinum so it's abit more than $500, and thanks for discount.

I will ask for a quote on diamond paving now! Thanks
I think you will be ok with the design since you said she has a desk job. You can look up 1 mm spacer and they sell them on etsy but you don’t have to worry about that until she gets her wedding band.

Only one other person has mentioned doing this type of design and I don’t think she ever went through with it so we haven’t seen their skill with this. Tianyu is actually pretty good at making rings though so I don’t think you have to change the design if there is some care taken. I would try to go for the lab diamonds though. If you are over $1000, they will give you a 5% discount.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hello, okay I've enquired on the lab diamonds, also I'm going to ask if they have started on the setting.. just abit worried now as an engagement ring it has to last, will have a look in to spacers.. but that was also a consideration but not enough to make me change designo_Oo_O

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Only other type I've always been drawn to is a classic knife edge

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Lab diamond is $195 extra

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Oh I also forgot to mention I'm based in UK so don't know if it's abit different with jewelers refusing to work with rings, I've requested 20 of each moissanite size in the ring but only 4 of each of the halo ones.. priced them at $28 which is fine for me

mrs-h-

Rough_Rock
Oh I also forgot to mention I'm based in UK so don't know if it's abit different with jewelers refusing to work with rings, I've requested 20 of each moissanite size in the ring but only 4 of each of the halo ones.. priced them at $28 which is fine for me

I'm in the U.K. too, I was wondering about V.A.T as I have no idea how much they will charge. I'm looking for a 3 stone emerald and trap cut ring. I'm going to set quotes from Tianyu and Starsgem. Swayes starsgem Emerald cut moissy is stunning.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
I'm in the U.K. too, I was wondering about V.A.T as I have no idea how much they will charge. I'm looking for a 3 stone emerald and trap cut ring. I'm going to set quotes from Tianyu and Starsgem. Swayes starsgem Emerald cut moissy is stunning.

They told me it will be marked as gift and $65, so shouldn't be any VAT or customs

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I used to live in the UK too but they didn’t really do moissanites back then. There are only 2 shops that I know of that even sell moissanite so it might actually be even harder. Most jewelers have not worked with moissanite and many of them think it is like a CZ ring and will just say no because they don’t want to be liable for damage or you might have to sign a waiver. You might want to check with a local jeweler. A moissanite can withstand heat like a diamond but not for as long and it has to be cooled down more slowly or it will go cloudy. Those stones are teeny tiny and they have to be set in prongs which means the ones around them will get heated up at the same time. In GBP, that is not very much extra for the peace of mind of having lab diamonds and a ring that can last a lifetime. The center is usually ok because they can remove it to work on the ring but not the pave sides.

The Chinese do mark down rings as CZ and silver typically. I am almost positive that you will still have to pay the 17.5% VAT. I had to pay 25% VAT on the ones I had delivered to Sweden. The post office held on to my package until I paid the money to get it released.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
They told me it will be marked as gift and $65, so shouldn't be any VAT or customs
I replied about the VAT on the thread above. The emerald cut that I got from Starsgem was beautiful but I thought I would mention that I had a jeweler in Sweden make the setting. The Chinese companies can’t do miligrain and engraving by hand and that makes all the difference in those types of platinum rings.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
I used to live in the UK too but they didn’t really do moissanites back then. There are only 2 shops that I know of that even sell moissanite so it might actually be even harder. Most jewelers have not worked with moissanite and many of them think it is like a CZ ring and will just say no because they don’t want to be liable for damage or you might have to sign a waiver. You might want to check with a local jeweler. A moissanite can withstand heat like a diamond but not for as long and it has to be cooled down more slowly or it will go cloudy. Those stones are teeny tiny and they have to be set in prongs which means the ones around them will get heated up at the same time. In GBP, that is not very much extra for the peace of mind of having lab diamonds and a ring that can last a lifetime. The center is usually ok because they can remove it to work on the ring but not the pave sides.

The Chinese do mark down rings as CZ and silver typically. I am almost positive that you will still have to pay the 17.5% VAT. I had to pay 25% VAT on the ones I had delivered to Sweden. The post office held on to my package until I paid the money to get it released.

Hello,
Just looked and we will be charged vat if the value is more than £39, which it will be if marked at $65, but the vat charged will only be small, neither here or there.

Thank you for explaining the technicalities, you make a very good point, and as it's a life time ring Im seriously considering the lab grown diamonds for the paving now you've put it in to perspective, apparently setting is done, just not paved with stones yet, that's monday

Drm546

Rough_Rock
I replied about the VAT on the thread above. The emerald cut that I got from Starsgem was beautiful but I thought I would mention that I had a jeweler in Sweden make the setting. The Chinese companies can’t do miligrain and engraving by hand and that makes all the difference in those types of platinum rings.

Hello swaye,
Based on your recommendation I've switched to lab grown diamonds, they are going to be DEF VS Quality, can anyone testify for there lab grown diamonds quality?

Also you mentioned that diamonds should sparkle more in a pave setting, can I ask how come? I always thought moissanite was the more refractive Gem?

Regardless thanks for your help, as I say this is an important ring purchase to me!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello swaye,
Based on your recommendation I've switched to lab grown diamonds, they are going to be DEF VS Quality, can anyone testify for there lab grown diamonds quality?

Also you mentioned that diamonds should sparkle more in a pave setting, can I ask how come? I always thought moissanite was the more refractive Gem?

Regardless thanks for your help, as I say this is an important ring purchase to me!
The lab diamonds will sparkle more than the smaller moissanites. When the moissanites are cut really small, they just don’t have the same crisp sparkle as the equivalent diamonds. They just appear very flat and don’t have that white sparkle that you get with diamonds. You can see @anangel’s recent purchase with lab diamond pave band with center solitaire moissanite. I have tried to photograph the difference but it is hard to capture on camera as the different optical properties of the moissanites next to the diamonds makes it difficult for the camera to focus.

Moissanites are very hard on the Moh’s scale at 9.25 compared to a diamond at a 10. The hardness scale is not the same as toughness though. The moissanite melee has a tendency to crack and that is why most jewelers have chosen diamonds for small pave in rings. Using moissanite in pave has only been done very recently in the last few years because it is cheaper. As I said, you have chosen a ring with a lot of small pave that will make it very difficult to ever work on, even for sizing, if you went with moissanites.

I will be interested to see how it turns out. Most people that started with this design moved on to something else because lab diamonds weren’t readily available until the Spring of this year.

Good luck!

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
@Drm546, I would strongly suggest getting the ring checked out by a local jeweler when you receive it. Because there's so many little stones in a pave setting and relatively little metal, the chances of it falling out is much higher than other settings. With these Chinese vendors there's a tendency to use less metal (which is especially prominent in the prongs) , and I have seen quite a few cases of other posters side stones that fell out because there wasn't enough metal to hold it securely.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
You guys (or girls) have me super nervous for this! Kind of feeling like just saying change it to a knife edge but did want something about different and that stands out!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
You guys (or girls) have me super nervous for this! Kind of feeling like just saying change it to a knife edge but did want something about different and that stands out!
My rings were all super well made. Like 6-8 grams of platinum weight. The ones that don’t last are when the bands are made too thin. I did that once and I won’t do it again. Just post your CAD when you get it and we will help you out. You will be fine with lab diamonds.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
My rings were all super well made. Like 6-8 grams of platinum weight. The ones that don’t last are when the bands are made too thin. I did that once and I won’t do it again. Just post your CAD when you get it and we will help you out. You will be fine with lab diamonds.
Screenshot_20190822_190356_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

Here is my CAD, let me know what you think

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20190822_190356_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

Here is my CAD, let me know what you think
I forgot that you attached it already. They made the measurements the appropriate size for pave and for her finger. I think you will be ok going forward as Tianyu has a tendency to make the rings at or a little bigger than the stated CAD. If you are happy with your choice, I think you can move forward with it.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
I forgot that you attached it already. They made the measurements the appropriate size for pave and for her finger. I think you will be ok going forward as Tianyu has a tendency to make the rings at or a little bigger than the stated CAD. If you are happy with your choice, I think you can move forward with it.

Yes I'm happy, I will get it checked out by local jeweller to make sure everything is tightened up, there rings seem to be good quality from this thread, so I'm going to trust them!

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
I need some input. I got a round moissanite ring and a cushion moissanite ring from Tianyu in June. I wear the cushion every day, and I put the round up for sale on Ebay. It's been sitting in a drawer for two months, never worn once. Someone messaged me on Ebay asking for a picture of it in LED lights, and I suddenly noticed what looks like a glaringly obvious inclusion right across the stone that I had never noticed before! The stone is a GH VS moissanite round H&A. Does this look like an inclusion? Could it be something else? It's not on the surface of the ring because I do not see it when light glints off the top. I plan on bringing it to a jeweler. Do they give that kind of expert opinion for free? I'm so bummed!
upload_2019-8-27_20-45-36.png
Updated to add: Now that I know it's there, I can see it in pictures that I took the day I got the ring. So I know it came to me that way. Here is a picture from the day I got it in the mail.
upload_2019-8-27_20-56-52.png

Last edited:

Drm546

Rough_Rock

Hello,
Just wanted your opinion on the weight of my ring! It's finished and looks amazing to me! But ring weight is 4g in platinum, would you class this as a good weight? Keep in mind it has all paving, I will post pics and video shortly! Thanks swaye

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I need some input. I got a round moissanite ring and a cushion moissanite ring from Tianyu in June. I wear the cushion every day, and I put the round up for sale on Ebay. It's been sitting in a drawer for two months, never worn once. Someone messaged me on Ebay asking for a picture of it in LED lights, and I suddenly noticed what looks like a glaringly obvious inclusion right across the stone that I had never noticed before! The stone is a GH VS moissanite round H&A. Does this look like an inclusion? Could it be something else? It's not on the surface of the ring because I do not see it when light glints off the top. I plan on bringing it to a jeweler. Do they give that kind of expert opinion for free? I'm so bummed!
upload_2019-8-27_20-45-36.png
Updated to add: Now that I know it's there, I can see it in pictures that I took the day I got the ring. So I know it came to me that way. Here is a picture from the day I got it in the mail.
upload_2019-8-27_20-56-52.png
It does look like a scratch. I would email them and say the ring came with a scratch and you have not worn it. You couldn’t see it with the naked eye and you want a replacement stone. See what they say. It probably happened during the setting process and maybe the person trying to buy it noticed it in the pictures so that is why they asked about it.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
Just wanted your opinion on the weight of my ring! It's finished and looks amazing to me! But ring weight is 4g in platinum, would you class this as a good weight? Keep in mind it has all paving, I will post pics and video shortly! Thanks swaye
You have a lot of pave so I think that is a decent weight for platinum. Most of my platinum rings without pave were around 6-8 grams. The average person that makes a gold ring is around 2.5 grams. It will still be light but not super lightweight so I think you are fine.

NoraAnn

Rough_Rock
Hi all, can I have your opinion on my emerald cut stone? It's 6x9mm, color GH. I don't know what to look for in this cut so wanted some opinions on if the 4Cs are okay. It seems beautiful to me, just yellower than I expected for a GH, I'm glad Tianyu told me straight up not to go with an IJ :lol: Could it just be because of the lighting?

https://imgur.com/a/O11GnJc

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, can I have your opinion on my emerald cut stone? It's 6x9mm, color GH. I don't know what to look for in this cut so wanted some opinions on if the 4Cs are okay. It seems beautiful to me, just yellower than I expected for a GH, I'm glad Tianyu told me straight up not to go with an IJ :lol: Could it just be because of the lighting?

https://imgur.com/a/O11GnJc
That is looking a bit yellow to me. You might want to go colorless with them. I know almost everyone who has ordered an EC from Tianyu has. I have a G/H from Starsgem that isn’t yellow at all in person. It looks a bit yellow when I take pictures, depending on the lighting.

I think it depends on the setting and how color sensitive you are. Mine is in an antique setting so I don’t mind it. If you put it in a yellow gold setting it will look like it has a yellow tinge to it.

NoraAnn

Rough_Rock
That is looking a bit yellow to me. You might want to go colorless with them. I know almost everyone who has ordered an EC from Tianyu has. I have a G/H from Starsgem that isn’t yellow at all in person. It looks a bit yellow when I take pictures, depending on the lighting.

I think it depends on the setting and how color sensitive you are. Mine is in an antique setting so I don’t mind it. If you put it in a yellow gold setting it will look like it has a yellow tinge to it.

Thank you. It will be in a yellow gold setting. Since they already made the effort to custom cut this one, I feel bad for wanting to change the stone now... Do they usually charge a premium for a change at this stage? I did want a slightly warmer moissanite, maybe the yellow will be less noticeable in person...

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. It will be in a yellow gold setting. Since they already made the effort to custom cut this one, I feel bad for wanting to change the stone now... Do they usually charge a premium for a change at this stage? I did want a slightly warmer moissanite, maybe the yellow will be less noticeable in person...
Sometimes when I was unsure of how the stone looked in the video, I would just ask the rep. See if she thinks the color of the stone looks good and that it is not uneven with just showing yellow at the top and bottom of the stone. That is what kind of worries me about this cut. My stone has equal color distribution even though it is warm. If she thinks it looks wrong, you can push them to cut a new one. If she says it looks fine, then you might have to accept the stone as it is. I don’t mind a warmer stone in yellow gold. I actually prefer it. Anything stark white does not look as good on me.

I do have to also say that the emerald is by far the most difficult stone to take pictures or videos of because of the double refraction. They actually show a lot of rainbow color and dark centers but then look white in person. The phone camera case can also show up as color on the moissanite. I guess what I am saying is that it is really hard to tell so I would ask her what she sees.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
IMG_20190904_191804.jpg

This is my ring, looks a centre stone seems a little hazey? Is this normal? I know it's a custom octagon cut, so may be that? Also not as sparkly as I expected

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results