carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions! Since I got so much help by reading this thread I thought I would post my new stone. It is a 7mm GH OEC. My plan is to set it in this target setting. I really love the cut! There is a dark center but only in certain lighting, and it doesn't bother me at all. It always seems to come out really dark in photos though.

My only hesitation is on the color. I didn't want it to be icy white like a CZ, but I'm thinking I probably should have gone with the FG instead of GH because there is a hint of color which this setting seems to bring out in certain lighting. I posted a couple of pictures, one in my warm bathroom and one in daylight. I feel like I'm going crazy over analyzing it because sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't!

I don't want to regret it if is keep this one since there's a chance setting will damage the bezel and I might not be able to change it out I the future. But, it would also be a pain to sell this one and order an FG, especially as they don't currently have any cut. I'm concerned to ask for one to be cut and then not like how it comes out.

Any opinions on how the color looks?

20190918_095951.jpg
20190916_231256 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20190918_095951.jpg
    20190918_095951.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190916_231256 (2).jpg
    20190916_231256 (2).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 162

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's hard to say b/c you can't compare two stones FG / GH next to each other .... the FG i have is a different shape and i think it is pretty icy white. the GH i have from another vendor has a vanilla tint in all lighting. the stone in your photos looks like a good balance in-between. and even bright white stones can pick up lighting from walls / clothing / etc. Only you know if it'll annoy you enough to warrant changing but it doesn't look too warm in the photos to me. =)

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
Hello,

New here and interested in Tianyu moissanites for e ring/anniversary. Are mrsgreeneyes or swaye2010 still here? They seemed to hit on what I'm looking for but still had other questions. I'm looking at 6.6mm likely a cushion but wonder I will regret it over a round if I want "sparkly"? The term "disco ball" fills me with excitement and fear lol! I want a lot of fire and rainbow but not insane. I'm thinking of hearts and arrows if I would go with round but would it work for a cushion too? Would I lose a lot of sparkle with a cushion vs round? I definitely dont want OEC based on the black hole. Hopefully I can attach a pic i found for my ideal setting. I also want to have a stacked leaf dot and dainty eternity band with it for total 3 rings. I have diamonds for those. Thank you! IMG_0541.JPG-1.jpg

Hello ladies!
I've done more home work on this thread and know I definitely want a round. I'm undecided between 6.5 mm or 7mm for my finger but I'll figure that out at the jewelers soon .
My questions now are can I still get a beautiful stone with Tianyu for a main e ring or would you splurge with fire and brilliance or another? Seems Amora looks awfully close to the HA cut with Tianyu and I saw the post describing longer bands vs wider to avoid the transitional cut.

The wedding bee forum pretty much all their moisseys are gorgeous! But they all seemed from C&C for most part.

Would I be safe in the DEF range or would you recommend the G or even I? I don't mind a buttery appearance in some lights. I wouldn't want it to be glowing some weird color in office lights or outside tho. I'm not sure if my linked picture of the setting I want populated ,but if not it's one page back. Thank you for any help! This is really overwhelming!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies!
I've done more home work on this thread and know I definitely want a round. I'm undecided between 6.5 mm or 7mm for my finger but I'll figure that out at the jewelers soon .
My questions now are can I still get a beautiful stone with Tianyu for a main e ring or would you splurge with fire and brilliance or another? Seems Amora looks awfully close to the HA cut with Tianyu and I saw the post describing longer bands vs wider to avoid the transitional cut.

The wedding bee forum pretty much all their moisseys are gorgeous! But they all seemed from C&C for most part.

Would I be safe in the DEF range or would you recommend the G or even I? I don't mind a buttery appearance in some lights. I wouldn't want it to be glowing some weird color in office lights or outside tho. I'm not sure if my linked picture of the setting I want populated ,but if not it's one page back. Thank you for any help! This is really overwhelming!
Welcome to the thread! I am not sure if you settled on a H&A or an OEC cut? It doesn’t look like that ring comes from one of the Chinese vendors. If you plan on going with the H&A cut then Tianyu does this very well. I prefer a slightly warmer stone and ordered the G/H, which was still very white. Tianyu has an in between color of F, but most vendors just classify DEF or GH in colorless or near colorless as choices. If you plan on going for an OEC like your inspiration picture, then G/H to me is still the best choice or you will end up with an icy white stone and you will miss some of the dimension in the faceting.

As far as the setting, it is very doable with Tianyu or Starsgem. I would just watch some of the dimensions with Tianyu and know that they have a tendency to make their rings about 1/4 size bigger than the stated CAD. You inspiration ring also has miligrain and they use machine stamped miligrain that can look a bit heavy. I would almost not have them do the miligrain and have it put on by a local jeweler instead. It will make all the difference on the look of the final piece. Your other option is to just order the loose stone and have it custom made with a local or online jeweler in the US. They really could pull of this look much better in all honesty. Either way, I would also go for lab diamonds in the small pave. They are more durable ad sparkle more than the equivalent moissanite.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the thread! I am not sure if you settled on a H&A or an OEC cut? It doesn’t look like that ring comes from one of the Chinese vendors. If you plan on going with the H&A cut then Tianyu does this very well. I prefer a slightly warmer stone and ordered the G/H, which was still very white. Tianyu has an in between color of F, but most vendors just classify DEF or GH in colorless or near colorless as choices. If you plan on going for an OEC like your inspiration picture, then G/H to me is still the best choice or you will end up with an icy white stone and you will miss some of the dimension in the faceting.

As far as the setting, it is very doable with Tianyu or Starsgem. I would just watch some of the dimensions with Tianyu and know that they have a tendency to make their rings about 1/4 size bigger than the stated CAD. You inspiration ring also has miligrain and they use machine stamped miligrain that can look a bit heavy. I would almost not have them do the miligrain and have it put on by a local jeweler instead. It will make all the difference on the look of the final piece. Your other option is to just order the loose stone and have it custom made with a local or online jeweler in the US. They really could pull of this look much better in all honesty. Either way, I would also go for lab diamonds in the small pave. They are more durable ad sparkle more than the equivalent moissanite.

Thank you for your reply! I'm set on H &A not OEC (hoping it will still look good with that setting) and I'm definitely having a local jeweler make the settings. I also will have the make 2 other bands, one a leaf/dot and the other the standard marquis/dot and wonder if jeweler can use lab diamonds or if it matters?

Would you still go with a warmer stone on 14K gold with the H/A or would the DF be too white? As mentioned I love sparkle, I just dont want some unnatural looking disco ball. I also wouldn't mind a buttery appearance in some lights but not straight up yellow or green cast.I love the prisms of rainbows and fire which is why I thought a whiter stone. Is there anyone specifically at Tianyu that would now understand the longer arrows vs the weird transitional cut and do you pay extra for that?

Lastly, are there any known U.S. companies that Tianyu is cutting for? Like C&C? I mean if so, it doesn't seem smart to go to C&C or F&B if it's virtually the same stone. But I read a post where they said if this is the main e ring which it will be, they would "splurge" on a higher end one of 500.00 or so, thoughts? Thank you so much! Like I said this is crazy overwhelming! :shock:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply! I'm set on H &A not OEC (hoping it will still look good with that setting) and I'm definitely having a local jeweler make the settings. I also will have the make 2 other bands, one a leaf/dot and the other the standard marquis/dot and wonder if jeweler can use lab diamonds or if it matters?

Would you still go with a warmer stone on 14K gold with the H/A or would the DF be too white? As mentioned I love sparkle, I just dont want some unnatural looking disco ball. I also wouldn't mind a buttery appearance in some lights but not straight up yellow or green cast.I love the prisms of rainbows and fire which is why I thought a whiter stone. Is there anyone specifically at Tianyu that would now understand the longer arrows vs the weird transitional cut and do you pay extra for that?

Lastly, are there any known U.S. companies that Tianyu is cutting for? Like C&C? I mean if so, it doesn't seem smart to go to C&C or F&B if it's virtually the same stone. But I read a post where they said if this is the main e ring which it will be, they would "splurge" on a higher end one of 500.00 or so, thoughts? Thank you so much! Like I said this is crazy overwhelming! :shock:
I would personally go with a G/H stone which is still very white. It just isn’t stark white like the colorless stones. It might show a little bit more buttery tone being in yellow gold. The newer types of moissanite rough don’t have the weird yellow or green tinges like they used to. A near colorless stone will go a little more buttery though in a yellow gold setting. You can look at my G/H solitaire a page or two back. That is in platinum but it gives you an idea of what the stone will look like.

I am sure a local jeweler can make this setting for you and they will most likely use mined diamond pave as the cost between lab & mined is so minimal. If you want to get quotes from an online jeweler, there are a few I can recommend that could make this setting for you beautifully.

I would go with Tianyu for your H&A cut because they do it so well. You can email Ella at [email protected]. You can also get a quote from Starsgem too as their H&A cuts have really improved. There will always be a certain amount of discoball double refraction that happens with moissanite. It is impossible to get away from. The H&A cut minimizes it a lot more these days but in dim light it does have that glittery effect. Under normal lighting conditions, and in the right size, it can look like a diamond. Having it in your particular setting with diamond side stones will help vs a solitaire though.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
I would personally go with a G/H stone which is still very white. It just isn’t stark white like the colorless stones. It might show a little bit more buttery tone being in yellow gold. The newer types of moissanite rough don’t have the weird yellow or green tinges like they used to. A near colorless stone will go a little more buttery though in a yellow gold setting. You can look at my G/H solitaire a page or two back. That is in platinum but it gives you an idea of what the stone will look like.

I am sure a local jeweler can make this setting for you and they will most likely use mined diamond pave as the cost between lab & mined is so minimal. If you want to get quotes from an online jeweler, there are a few I can recommend that could make this setting for you beautifully.

I would go with Tianyu for your H&A cut because they do it so well. You can email Ella at [email protected]. You can also get a quote from Starsgem too as their H&A cuts have really improved. There will always be a certain amount of discoball double refraction that happens with moissanite. It is impossible to get away from. The H&A cut minimizes it a lot more these days but in dim light it does have that glittery effect. Under normal lighting conditions, and in the right size, it can look like a diamond. Having it in your particular setting with diamond side stones will help vs a solitaire though.

Oh your ring is so pretty! I finally found it! So you dont think it would pull excessively warm in a yg setting? Can you tell me why you personally don't like the DEF stones? Too artificial? I thought a warmer stone needed a more platinum setting but I could be wrong. I'm sorry if my questions are annoying, I don't mean to be! Its just I've waited 14 years for my perfect ring and it's now going to happen! It seems crazy on one hand to spend 450.00 more but on the other....I don't want to regret it. Thanks so much! Can you tell I want this yesterday?! Haha. But even at that I'm likely going to have to wait a few more months at the least but want my ducks in a row!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh your ring is so pretty! I finally found it! So you dont think it would pull excessively warm in a yg setting? Can you tell me why you personally don't like the DEF stones? Too artificial? I thought a warmer stone needed a more platinum setting but I could be wrong. I'm sorry if my questions are annoying, I don't mean to be! Its just I've waited 14 years for my perfect ring and it's now going to happen! It seems crazy on one hand to spend 450.00 more but on the other....I don't want to regret it. Thanks so much! Can you tell I want this yesterday?! Haha. But even at that I'm likely going to have to wait a few more months at the least but want my ducks in a row!
It is really just personal choice. I don’t feel they look as natural but some people prefer a truly colorless stone. I think skin tone & gold color also comes into play on what might look best. I find the G/H stones to be very white still but I am not color sensitive. I did have an oval in G/H in yellow gold and it did pull buttery tones. It isn’t an icky yellow like the older moissanites..it is just slightly warmer. I think it is a difficult question to answer for other people.

Here was the oval I had from Starsgem. I sold it just to pay for new settings that I had done with loose stones for the cuts I liked the best. The oval is nice but it is not one of my favorite moissanite cuts because it has a very splintery look to it.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
It is really just personal choice. I don’t feel they look as natural but some people prefer a truly colorless stone. I think skin tone & gold color also comes into play on what might look best. I find the G/H stones to be very white still but I am not color sensitive. I did have an oval in G/H in yellow gold and it did pull buttery tones. It isn’t an icky yellow like the older moissanites..it is just slightly warmer. I think it is a difficult question to answer for other people.

Here was the oval I had from Starsgem. I sold it just to pay for new settings that I had done with loose stones for the cuts I liked the best. The oval is nice but it is not one of my favorite moissanite cuts because it has a very splintery look to it.

Oh wow that is beautiful too! I think you're right on skin tone. I'm pale but have peach tones so yg always looked better on me than silver or platinum. I always dreamed of a platinum ring but tbh it probably wouldn't be very flattering. Can I still have Ella send me pictures and videos? And do they charge extra for the HA cut? Should I ask for anything specific like long arrows or do they get it now? I'm hoping to ge the gem around 2 weeks and the ring made after that. I may go forward with the e ring soon and then the 2 bands a but later. I originally waffled on a cushion HA but I think the best rainbows would still be the round, but your oval was quite lovely! Thanks so much for all your help and patience!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow that is beautiful too! I think you're right on skin tone. I'm pale but have peach tones so yg always looked better on me than silver or platinum. I always dreamed of a platinum ring but tbh it probably wouldn't be very flattering. Can I still have Ella send me pictures and videos? And do they charge extra for the HA cut? Should I ask for anything specific like long arrows or do they get it now? I'm hoping to ge the gem around 2 weeks and the ring made after that. I may go forward with the e ring soon and then the 2 bands a but later. I originally waffled on a cushion HA but I think the best rainbows would still be the round, but your oval was quite lovely! Thanks so much for all your help and patience!
I know it is a chore, but I would go back and just flip through the last 20 or 30 pages on this and the SG CAD thread to see finished projects.

I understand not wanting to make a mistake. A few of us from the beginning made many so that future readers wouldn’t have to. You don’t have to pay extra for the H&A cut because we spent a long time explaining what we were after and they obliged (mostly this year) by investing in newer machines. I think if you make your perfect setting, that is the way to go.

In all honesty, the moissanite center stones are worth a whole lot. SG had them on sale during August for $39 for a colorless DEF round H&A in a size 7.5. A 2 carat cost around $100 in the G/H. I know this is real money but I think you should go into this with getting a durable setting that is not less than 2 mm wide and around 1.6-1.8 mm thick if you do order it from the Chinese. You can make a great plain shank or lab diamond pave setting that can be quite good in the right dimensions and really save you some money. The prices of lab diamonds keeps going down too and it would be very realistic to think you could switch out the center for a lab diamond at a future date.

You mentioned order the stone first and then getting the setting made. This can be done as well but the setting fee by a local jeweler can cost as much as buying a completed ring from SG. If you don’t love it, you can just resell it on Loupe Troupe or Diamond Bistro. As long as it is not way over $500, they aren’t too difficult to sell.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
I know it is a chore, but I would go back and just flip through the last 20 or 30 pages on this and the SG CAD thread to see finished projects.

I understand not wanting to make a mistake. A few of us from the beginning made many so that future readers wouldn’t have to. You don’t have to pay extra for the H&A cut because we spent a long time explaining what we were after and they obliged (mostly this year) by investing in newer machines. I think if you make your perfect setting, that is the way to go.

In all honesty, the moissanite center stones are worth a whole lot. SG had them on sale during August for $39 for a colorless DEF round H&A in a size 7.5. A 2 carat cost around $100 in the G/H. I know this is real money but I think you should go into this with getting a durable setting that is not less than 2 mm wide and around 1.6-1.8 mm thick if you do order it from the Chinese. You can make a great plain shank or lab diamond pave setting that can be quite good in the right dimensions and really save you some money. The prices of lab diamonds keeps going down too and it would be very realistic to think you could switch out the center for a lab diamond at a future date.

You mentioned order the stone first and then getting the setting made. This can be done as well but the setting fee by a local jeweler can cost as much as buying a completed ring from SG. If you don’t love it, you can just resell it on Loupe Troupe or Diamond Bistro. As long as it is not way over $500, they aren’t too difficult to sell.

Gotcha! I'll go back and re-read. I caught some I think by luckyrabbit that said we needed to be really specific on the size of arrows for HA and I wasn't sure if that was still the case or if we could order up the price scope cut Haha! I'm definitely going to go with the warmer stone so thank for that!

I'm going to check with my jeweler next week to get an estimate on the settimg. They're really good and not as expensive as the big box places and do a lot of custom work. But I'll keep tianyu in mind. I also found a maker on etsy for a similar setting for 338.00 so I have a number of 500.00 in my head for the setting. The bands I want are attached for the 3 band pic it's the marquis/dot one. The reason I'm hesitant on tianyu for these, is I dont want one that looks like a machine produced it! I really like the artisan look of not perfect everyone is unique look. I'll be sure to come back with updates. If all goes well, I hope to have my e ring in progress next month now. Rosegold-Leaf.jpg
diamond-wedding-rings-pave-band-twisted-round-cut-diamond-jsdiamonds.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha! I'll go back and re-read. I caught some I think by luckyrabbit that said we needed to be really specific on the size of arrows for HA and I wasn't sure if that was still the case or if we could order up the price scope cut Haha! I'm definitely going to go with the warmer stone so thank for that!

I'm going to check with my jeweler next week to get an estimate on the settimg. They're really good and not as expensive as the big box places and do a lot of custom work. But I'll keep tianyu in mind. I also found a maker on etsy for a similar setting for 338.00 so I have a number of 500.00 in my head for the setting. The bands I want are attached for the 3 band pic it's the marquis/dot one. The reason I'm hesitant on tianyu for these, is I dont want one that looks like a machine produced it! I really like the artisan look of not perfect everyone is unique look. I'll be sure to come back with updates. If all goes well, I hope to have my e ring in progress next month now. Rosegold-Leaf.jpg
diamond-wedding-rings-pave-band-twisted-round-cut-diamond-jsdiamonds.jpg
Tianyu has done the second set of rings many times. The difference between when they look less custom is when there is miligrain or any vintage detailing. That gives it away instantly that it was machine produced.

You can have a lot more control by having it made locally or with an online vendor though so sometimes it is worth paying a little extra. I would use mined or lab diamonds instead of moissanite for the pave. I would make sure that a local jeweler can make these rings as well. Ask for some examples. I have noticed in my dealings with local jewelers in the last few years that I think they are making the ring but they are actually sending them out. I paid huge amounts of money for something that didn’t turn out right and then it was harder to get it fixed because it was like subcontract work without it being disclosed. Now I only work with jewelers that have their own bench.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
Tianyu has done the second set of rings many times. The difference between when they look less custom is when there is miligrain or any vintage detailing. That gives it away instantly that it was machine produced.

You can have a lot more control by having it made locally or with an online vendor though so sometimes it is worth paying a little extra. I would use mined or lab diamonds instead of moissanite for the pave. I would make sure that a local jeweler can make these rings as well. Ask for some examples. I have noticed in my dealings with local jewelers in the last few years that I think they are making the ring but they are actually sending them out. I paid huge amounts of money for something that didn’t turn out right and then it was harder to get it fixed because it was like subcontract work without it being disclosed. Now I only work with jewelers that have their own bench.
Yes thank you! This jeweler has their own bench, just not sure of the price point. I found out from David Klass that the e ring setting is around 975.00 so I'll see what the jeweler says. An interesting aside, David mentioned that August V does much better cuts in his opinion but maybe he hasnt seen any recent tianyu to compare. I saw many girls are thrilled with their rings from C&C and now they're considered subpar. So I guess we will see!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
:praise:
Yes thank you! This jeweler has their own bench, just not sure of the price point. I found out from David Klass that the e ring setting is around 975.00 so I'll see what the jeweler says. An interesting aside, David mentioned that August V does much better cuts in his opinion but maybe he hasnt seen any recent tianyu to compare. I saw many girls are thrilled with their rings from C&C and now they're considered subpar. So I guess we will see!
The AV stones are precision cut and the Tianyu stones are not. They are pretty good but not as good. I think it really comes down to how much nicer of a cut do you want? To me, it is worth the extra expense for maybe an engagement ring and they are reasonably priced when there are coupon codes. David has set all of mrsgreeneyes loose Tianyu stones in the beginning when we were just starting out so he has seen plenty of them. I know that the Amora was said to be as good as the AV stone. We were told they were virtually the same. Now Amora has stopped cutting new moissanites and are selling a branded version called Phoenix. The original pictures they put on their site last month were straight from the Starsgem IG page so it wasn’t hard to figure out where they were coming from. They have since updated the pictures. The description says the moissanites offer 90% of the optical beauty as the Amora Gem. So if a number had to be put on it, the Tianyu stones would be 90% as good as well. I guess it depends on the person if the extra 10% is worth the price of a better cut though.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
:praise:
The AV stones are precision cut and the Tianyu stones are not. They are pretty good but not as good. I think it really comes down to how much nicer of a cut do you want? To me, it is worth the extra expense for maybe an engagement ring and they are reasonably priced when there are coupon codes. David has set all of mrsgreeneyes loose Tianyu stones in the beginning when we were just starting out so he has seen plenty of them. I know that the Amora was said to be as good as the AV stone. We were told they were virtually the same. Now Amora has stopped cutting new moissanites and are selling a branded version called Phoenix. The original pictures they put on their site last month were straight from the Starsgem IG page so it wasn’t hard to figure out where they were coming from. They have since updated the pictures. The description says the moissanites offer 90% of the optical beauty as the Amora Gem. So if a number had to be put on it, the Tianyu stones would be 90% as good as well. I guess it depends on the person if the extra 10% is worth the price of a better cut though.

Oh wow, that makes a lot of sense! I did read where stargems was on another brand IG so that must of been it. I really think I'm going to roll the dice with tianyu. I dont know enough about diamonds or moissanites except I want it sparkly and not to look like the dreaded QVC diamonique from the 90s. I specify the 90s because maybe diamonique improved too, idk I don't follow QVC anymore. So yeah, i dont think i need a creme de le creme cut as long as it has a lot of fire. I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm going to look through the other 20 pages you mentioned for specifics. Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures and video from tianyu.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
@swaye2010 can you or anyone else tell me if this Tianyu is the better H&A 8 arrow cut or the 16? Can you explain why the "more splintery" version isn't good? Wasn't that also known as a brilliant cut in the diamond world? What makes it worse in a moissanite?
I'm rapidly learning my likes and dislikes! I definitely don't want an OEC. I do want the GH color. But I want sparkly and full of fire, definitely not a dead stone. I've been reading on reddit, and it seems more recently as noted here, starsgem has upped their game so I wonder now if they would be better for the H&A cut. I'll be really happy when these 1st world problems are done! Screenshot_20190921-190829_Reddit.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 can you or anyone else tell me if this Tianyu is the better H&A 8 arrow cut or the 16? Can you explain why the "more splintery" version isn't good? Wasn't that also known as a brilliant cut in the diamond world? What makes it worse in a moissanite?
I'm rapidly learning my likes and dislikes! I definitely don't want an OEC. I do want the GH color. But I want sparkly and full of fire, definitely not a dead stone. I've been reading on reddit, and it seems more recently as noted here, starsgem has upped their game so I wonder now if they would be better for the H&A cut. I'll be really happy when these 1st world problems are done! Screenshot_20190921-190829_Reddit.jpg
I would stick with the traditional 8 H&A. I haven’t looked at the 16 H&A in detail. The brilliant cut does look more splintery and has a bigger disco ball look to it. I also found it to look less diamond like in person. The SG version is now very good as well. Looks a bit more like a CZ. SG invested in some new machines but they have had a lot of turnover lately so I know the last month or so has been rough for them. It seems to be getting better now though. Here is a video of my round G/H from Tianyu just so you can see some IRL pictures.

Michele1706

Rough_Rock
I would stick with the traditional 8 H&A. I haven’t looked at the 16 H&A in detail. The brilliant cut does look more splintery and has a bigger disco ball look to it. I also found it to look less diamond like in person. The SG version is now very good as well. Looks a bit more like a CZ. SG invested in some new machines but they have had a lot of turnover lately so I know the last month or so has been rough for them. It seems to be getting better now though. Here is a video of my round G/H from Tianyu just so you can see some IRL pictures.

That's really pretty in motion! What I've been noticing on the H&A 8 is there is a distinct dark star pattern that seems distracting but maybe less so irl. So that pic, that is likely the 16 cut? Yeah, definitely sounds like I want to stay with Tianyu 8. The GH really looks dreamy!

lovebezels

Rough_Rock

That stone is beautiful @swaye2010! What did you request when you ordered it?! Thanks!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is beautiful @swaye2010! What did you request when you ordered it?! Thanks!
It is just a H&A cut in G/H. They cut it for me because of the size but they are pretty standard in their cut these days so you don’t have to worry about any special request anymore.

lovebezels

Rough_Rock
It is just a H&A cut in G/H. They cut it for me because of the size but they are pretty standard in their cut these days so you don’t have to worry about any special request anymore.

Thank you @swaye2010 for your response!

Michele1706

Rough_Rock

Thanks for this additional info! I didn't realize we didnt have to get all specific with them, thus possibly confusing them! Like I said, it's just the appearance of the dark star that may not be really anything irl. Thanks for all your help! I'll be sure to come back and post when I get my stone and rings!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I tried to capitalize on their sale before September is over and it's not applicable to loose stones. *grumble*
I will say that I anticipated their stone prices to be much higher than Starsgem and they weren't. In fact, the OEC I asked about was $5 less with Tianyu.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to capitalize on their sale before September is over and it's not applicable to loose stones. *grumble*
I will say that I anticipated their stone prices to be much higher than Starsgem and they weren't. In fact, the OEC I asked about was $5 less with Tianyu.
I like the OEC better from Tianyu. We should ask about sales more often. I just happened to catch the $39 sale for 1.5 DEF for SG last month but it wasn’t advertised too much.

Sophie101

Rough_Rock
D536FD9A-3FCC-4230-B94C-E226C4A1760D.png 9CDDCF52-5F38-4BCF-BBD2-7C2FD8211605.png
Hello everyone. I need your help with my Tianyu CAD. We requested a 12.5mm x 9.5mm crushed ice oval moissanite with a lab diamond pave band, a lace wedding band and an 18k rose gold lab diamond eternity ring. I would like your expert option on anything that jumps out at you. I have also attached my
impsi BF850DCD-1702-4698-94CA-D01096C72F39.png ration
Yeah 491C511F-E069-4289-8079-CC6B6103AEB6.png
Thanks in advance :)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
D536FD9A-3FCC-4230-B94C-E226C4A1760D.png 9CDDCF52-5F38-4BCF-BBD2-7C2FD8211605.png
Hello everyone. I need your help with my Tianyu CAD. We requested a 12.5mm x 9.5mm crushed ice oval moissanite with a lab diamond pave band, a lace wedding band and an 18k rose gold lab diamond eternity ring. I would like your expert option on anything that jumps out at you. I have also attached my
impsi BF850DCD-1702-4698-94CA-D01096C72F39.png ration
Yeah 491C511F-E069-4289-8079-CC6B6103AEB6.png
Thanks in advance :)
I like the design and I have the same finger size so I can imagine how this will all look together. The measurements look fine and that will make a sturdy set in platinum. I just want to mention a few things though. I have bigger knuckles than the base of my finger so if I stack this many rings together, I have to have them looser than normal at the top of the stack. If you don’t have a finger like that, it will not be a problem for you but you do need to look at the overall width in total.

The other thing is the height which is a pretty tall setting. I think for me a low setting is around 7.5 mm and a tall setting is around 8.5 mm. I find when I start getting taller than that, the ring has a hard time standing upright. It become top heavy and falls to the side. The other potential problem is just the size of the stone in crushed ice. They do have a tendency to go cloudy the bigger they are. I don’t think I have seen any of the crushed ice in this size and I am worried if they cut it for you that it might look cloudy and you are stuck with it. I know SG has started selling a H&A cut for the oval and that actually looks pretty good with no bow tie. I think Tianyu could do much the same. I know crushed ice looks great in videos but in natural daylight, they are not that great. Maybe a little better with some of the NA companies. At least from them I know it would be returnable.

I don’t want to change your mind but just have you consider all these things. I really think you should reduce the size a little bit. Maybe closer to the 11x9 area which is already 4 carats and also consider a different cut. I have tried crushed ice twice and it looks like dried glue or exploded plastic to me. A few people have gotten lucky though.

Sophie101

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the consideration. I have told them to lower the height of the setting to somewhere around 8mm. I have also requested a picture of their hearts and arrows oval. She said if I want it to look more like a diamond I should go with H&A and if I want it to be more shiny, I should go with crushed ice. I have seen pictures of crushed ice in natural light looking a bit “plasticky” and I requested a hybrid cut from them which they were unable to produce. But I think I will go the H&A cut and lower the stone size. I’m also thinking about increasing the size of the eternity band to 8.5 and the width to 2mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results