shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Full disclosure--I don't know a lot about CADs or what is possible, so I hope some more experienced folks will chime in, too. But it does seem to me that the basket is lower in your inspiration pic, and I would think they should be able to lower that a bit for you. If you scroll up just a bit in this thread, @Bfelix shared her CAD, and the basket is pretty much lowered all the way to touch the band. Maybe they can do something like that?
Hi,
after reading all the reviews, I decided to go with Tianyu for my engagement ring (yes, I am picking my own ring :D). I sent them these inspiration pics, and got this CAD. One of the things most important to me was for it to be as low profile as possible. I am not a jewelry wearer so was looking for something that would be comfortable to wear. I think the CAD looks way off. Any suggestions?
I asked for:
- 4mmx4mm antique cushion cut center stone
- 14k yellow gold comfort fit band, with 14k white gold basket
CAD.png lily-cushion-angle__99177.1500673891.650.650.png lily-cushion-close__94137.1500673896.650.650.png
Thanks for the help!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi,
after reading all the reviews, I decided to go with Tianyu for my engagement ring (yes, I am picking my own ring :D). I sent them these inspiration pics, and got this CAD. One of the things most important to me was for it to be as low profile as possible. I am not a jewelry wearer so was looking for something that would be comfortable to wear. I think the CAD looks way off. Any suggestions?
I asked for:
CAD.png lily-cushion-angle__99177.1500673891.650.650.png lily-cushion-close__94137.1500673896.650.650.png
Thanks for the help!

You can have it lowered all the way, like mine, or you can keep it the way it is and your wedding band should sit flush. A band doesn’t sit flush with my ring but I like the small gap. It is a very tiny gap. It’s all in what you prefer.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I asked for:
Thanks for the help!
If you want a very low setting, than you should have them drop the head like bfelix mentioned on her’s. I think that would help with the proportion of the head to the shank. Your inspiration picture has a Fleur De Lys detail that doesn’t look quite right on the CAD. I found a few more pictures of this ring and maybe you can send them a close up of the detail so they can try to fix it. I think the examples are showing this ring with what looks like a .75 carat and they might be struggling to fit the same detail on .40 carat but you can ask them to try. Part of the problem is that cushion’s face up even smaller than the rounds so there is not a lot of space to work with.

88F4FF8C-4B8E-4800-A155-87AED4FDF15A.jpeg 9F73EA91-8660-41E0-92C3-4A3AC6E72E66.png ACBC2DCA-784C-4E60-804C-54C5C73B007C.png

mousemouse

Rough_Rock
If you want a very low setting, than you should have them drop the head like bfelix mentioned on her’s. I think that would help with the proportion of the head to the shank. Your inspiration picture has a Fleur De Lys detail that doesn’t look quite right on the CAD. I found a few more pictures of this ring and maybe you can send them a close up of the detail so they can try to fix it. I think the examples are showing this ring with what looks like a .75 carat and they might be struggling to fit the same detail on .40 carat but you can ask them to try. Part of the problem is that cushion’s face up even smaller than the rounds so there is not a lot of space to work with.
Thanks for the advice and additional pics! I had a feeling it was due to the smaller stone too. I'll post an update once they're back from vacation!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Question for you all, has anyone ordered a marquise cut moissanite from Tianyu? I was looking at an old thread on Starsgem and the poster seemed very disappointed with the quality of her marquise. I want to venture out from RBs and H&A, but I am worried about being disappointed. :shock:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for you all, has anyone ordered a marquise cut moissanite from Tianyu? I was looking at an old thread on Starsgem and the poster seemed very disappointed with the quality of her marquise. I want to venture out from RBs and H&A, but I am worried about being disappointed. :shock:

I've been wondering this too. Actually, I THINK its been discussed, but I want to be sure. I'm ready to put another stone into my original e ring setting, and would love to go with a marquise. If not that, then another elongated shape would be what I'd like to have.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I've been wondering this too. Actually, I THINK its been discussed, but I want to be sure. I'm ready to put another stone into my original e ring setting, and would love to go with a marquise. If not that, then another elongated shape would be what I'd like to have.
I don’t think anyone has bought one from Tianyu yet. The one bought from SG was supposed to be colorless but was very yellow and underwhelming. They are getting better with the fancy shapes but the rounds and cushions have looked the best. I would try to get some pictures and videos if they have any on hand and would go colorless with this shape. They are off until the 15th but I think some of the sales rep’s are still answering off the Alibaba chat system.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Sophia with Tianyu has responded via WhatsApp, but cherry told me she couldn’t quote me until the 12th. I guess it depends on the company and the rep. Some people take “vacation” more seriously than others. I am one of those people. :lol:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think anyone has bought one from Tianyu yet. The one bought from SG was supposed to be colorless but was very yellow and underwhelming. They are getting better with the fancy shapes but the rounds and cushions have looked the best. I would try to get some pictures and videos if they have any on hand and would go colorless with this shape. They are off until the 15th but I think some of the sales rep’s are still answering off the Alibaba chat system.

I could look at the cushions. I know I don't want round, only because i already have a round solitaire. I think it's the 80s girl in me that wants that marquise!

Sophia with Tianyu has responded via WhatsApp, but cherry told me she couldn’t quote me until the 12th. I guess it depends on the company and the rep. Some people take “vacation” more seriously than others. I am one of those people. :lol:
:lol:

Thank you both for the info.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I could look at the cushions. I know I don't want round, only because i already have a round solitaire. I think it's the 80s girl in me that wants that marquise!

Growing up in the 80’s, I totally agree! I think it is still worth asking for some photo’s and video’s in natural daylight. I remember on the SG one, they were using old rough for some reason. The Tianyu one may be really nice, it is just that no one has ordered it yet. I would still ask to see what they have.....I did see a video if you look on Alibaba - Tianyu Gems/Marquise Moissanites.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I just got my H&A 6.6mm moissanite from Tianyu and the difference between this and the one I got from Diamondrensu/India are like night and day. The one I bought from Diamondrensu is RB cut and near colorless (GHI) whereas the Tianyu is colorless (DE).

Sorry my pics are bad. It was difficult to take a picture of both because they were too different and my phone kept focusing on one over the other.

Tianyu on left, Diamondrensu on right. Both photos are taken indoors in my office, lol.

With indoor lighting:

20190204_140205.jpg

With sunlight:

20190204_142127.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I just got my H&A 6.6mm moissanite from Tianyu and the difference between this and the one I got from Diamondrensu/India are like night and day. However, it could be that the Diamondrensu one is RB cut and near colorless (GHI) whereas the Tianyu is colorless (DE).

Sorry my pics are bad. It was difficult to take a picture of both because they were too different and my phone kept focusing on one over the other.

Tianyu on left, Diamondrensu on right. Both photos are taken indoors in my office, lol.

With indoor lighting:

20190204_140205.jpg

With sunlight:

20190204_142127.jpg
Wow! It is night and day! Your pendant is still pretty though!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! It is night and day! Your pendant is still pretty though!

Thank you, Mamabean! Yes, I still love my pendant and I will continue to wear it. :kiss2: Unfortunately I think Tianyu has set a much higher standard for me. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Mamabean! Yes, I still love my pendant and I will continue to wear it. :kiss2: Unfortunately I think Tianyu has set a much higher standard for me. :lol:
I love my princess cut pendant from Tianyu..I’m hoping the earrings will be equally great. I still love the OEC in my bezel ring by Golden Bird even though his setting was horrible..TG David Klass fixed it. I’m dying to see the difference in a Tianyu’s OEC..I’m hoping she will swap the order..from the emerald cut to the OEC..

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I love my princess cut pendant from Tianyu..I’m hoping the earrings will be equally great. I still love the OEC in my bezel ring by Golden Bird even though his setting was horrible..TG David Klass fixed it. I’m dying to see the difference in a Tianyu’s OEC..I’m hoping she will swap the order..from the emerald cut to the OEC..
I'm excited for you! I hope you get the OEC; I'd love to see how Tianyu's compares to Golden Bird's. :love:

I can't decide what I want to do with my newest moissy...leaning towards a ring since I misplaced my diamond one years ago. I miss that one, but I think this will be a GREAT substitute. :D

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited for you! I hope you get the OEC; I'd love to see how Tianyu's compares to Golden Bird's. :love:

I can't decide what I want to do with my newest moissy...leaning towards a ring since I misplaced my diamond one years ago. I miss that one, but I think this will be a GREAT substitute. :D
You can’t go wrong with another ring!
Ella emailed me and said I could change it to an OEC! I’m so relieved!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo! I’m glad they were flexible! :mrgreen: The OEC should be gorgeous!!!

I am still waffling with the marquise cut. Since no one has asked for it yet, I may try to ask for some pictures and a video once they open. I just don’t want to waste their time asking for something when they’re on holiday and decide not to get it. That or maybe a cushion cut in a GH color. So many options...

I’m glad I found this sub forum. All the pics are so helpful, and everyone seems pretty nice! :kiss2:

Here is another pic, this time in yellow lighting (bathroom). These pictures are nicer than my office ones, lol. :lol: Hope someone finds this helpful when deciding between Indian vs Chinese moissys:

6E2896C3-A4DE-4152-96D0-425FA532338C.jpeg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoo! I’m glad they were flexible! :mrgreen: The OEC should be gorgeous!!!

I am still waffling with the marquise cut. Since no one has asked for it yet, I may try it out once they open. I just don’t want to waste their time asking for something when they’re on holiday and decide not to get it.

I’m glad I found this sub forum. All the pics are so helpful, and everyone seems pretty nice! :kiss2:

Here is another pic, this time in yellow lighting (bathroom). These pictures are nicer than my office ones, lol. :lol: Hope someone finds this helpful when deciding between Indian vs Chinese moissys:

6E2896C3-A4DE-4152-96D0-425FA532338C.jpeg
I think that’s very helpful to see them side by side. I did that with my earrings I got from India. There’s no comparison to the Chinese moissanite. The cut was so off too. I should have returned them. It was a lot of money wasted. :cry2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I’m excited to see how they compare! I kinda like the wonky one from India because I feel like it looks more like a true old cut. Then the OCD in me rears it’s ugly head when I think about a precision cut option.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m excited to see how they compare! I kinda like the wonky one from India because I feel like it looks more like a true old cut. Then the OCD in me rears it’s ugly head when I think about a precision cut option.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Haha! I have never seen an OEC in person so I have no idea how they compare. I really like the Wonky one..and it’s pretty white..and creamy..not like Diamondrensu which is yellow. I love white diamonds so I ordered a DEF color OEC which is probably not what anyone else would like in an OEC but I know a tint would bother me. I also think Tianyu’s cut will be much crisper which I would love! I’m hoping!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
There’s definitely a language barrier. I asked Ella if I could switch the emerald cut to an OEC. She said yes I could. This morning I got an email from her telling me the price of the OEC in dollars in a quote. I had to write back and say no I want to switch the emerald for the OEC..I don’t want both.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
So after reading extensively on both Tianyu and Starsgem, I'm assuming that if I want to get another round, I should just stick with Tianyu for the best quality...?

Ever since I got my Tianyu H&A I've gotten obsessive with my future purchase. First a loose marquise, then a ring with five stones, and now I want a OEC ring in GH color, argh. :roll:lol:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
So after reading extensively on both Tianyu and Starsgem, I'm assuming that if I want to get another round, I should just stick with Tianyu for the best quality...?

Ever since I got my Tianyu H&A I've gotten obsessive with my future purchase. First a loose marquise, then a ring with five stones, and now I want a OEC ring in GH color, argh. :roll:lol:
From what I have seen from both companies, I think the H&A is still a bit better with Tianyu. SG is trying to get stronger arrows in their cut but it is not quite as good unless you give them very specific pictures. Tianyu also offfers the smaller OEC’s that would work for any 5 stone ring. I have seen a few beautiful round H&A eternity and 5 stone rings from them as well. Unfortunately, you may have to click through the beginning pages of this thread to find them. The marquise cut is the only one I would hesitate on. I would ask for a photo or video before you purchase anything and they may just say they are cut to order. You need to go with colorless because they can go very yellow. I am not sure the fancy cuts are quite there yet in Chinese moissanite but you can ask and see what they say.

tonielle

Rough_Rock

Me too! Don’t know when I’ll get another piece, but there are sooo many things I’d want lol. Is there a thread to share “Currently dreaming about/wanting/debating” where we can share photos of what we’re currently eyeing? Cuz there should be!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
From what I have seen from both companies, I think the H&A is still a bit better with Tianyu. SG is trying to get stronger arrows in their cut but it is not quite as good unless you give them very specific pictures. Tianyu also offfers the smaller OEC’s that would work for any 5 stone ring. I have seen a few beautiful round H&A eternity and 5 stone rings from them as well. Unfortunately, you may have to click through the beginning pages of this thread to find them. The marquise cut is the only one I would hesitate on. I would ask for a photo or video before you purchase anything and they may just say they are cut to order. You need to go with colorless because they can go very yellow. I am not sure the fancy cuts are quite there yet in Chinese moissanite but you can ask and see what they say.
Yes, I think I'll have to pass on fancy cuts for now, unfortunately. I've seen and compared marquise from Tianyu, Starsgem, and Provence and they're either milky or yellow...all supposedly "colorless", too! I want this cut for my engagement ring, so I was trying to shop around for one that won't break the bank. I may just have to suck it up and spend more on a lab diamond. :cry: :lol:

I think I'll ask for a quote on a 5 stone OEC from Tianyu after they open. I'm 90 percent sure I want this in GH.

Me too! Don’t know when I’ll get another piece, but there are sooo many things I’d want lol. Is there a thread to share “Currently dreaming about/wanting/debating” where we can share photos of what we’re currently eyeing? Cuz there should be!

LOL, there should be an enabler thread on here! :lol:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think I'll have to pass on fancy cuts for now, unfortunately. I've seen and compared marquise from Tianyu, Starsgem, and Provence and they're either milky or yellow...all supposedly "colorless", too! I want this cut for my engagement ring, so I was trying to shop around for one that won't break the bank. I may just have to suck it up and spend more on a lab diamond. :cry: :lol:

I think I'll ask for a quote on a 5 stone OEC from Tianyu after they open. I'm 90 percent sure I want this in GH.

Ok - I put a 2019 enabler thread because I just have too many ideas swimming in my head and still several projects in the works. It has spread out to family members now too! I also want to do a 5 stone OEC in G/H in possibly a bezel setting. I am also trying to finish up my two other ACC projects right now.

I think the NA companies can cut a decent marquise. I am pretty sure on the SG thread that someone posted a C&C marquise next to the SG one and the C&C one was actually colorless. I would ask when they return for a picture in daylight. I know they said something about using a better quality rough for these cuts so maybe this is happening now. I don’t really look at MOCO very often but has anyone seen one from them before?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I decided to switch from the emerald cut from Tianyu to their OEC. I know they do OEC”s well...I was too worried about it not being colorless. Some of the emerald cuts from them looked milky and tinted to me even though they were supposed to be colorless.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to switch from the emerald cut from Tianyu to their OEC. I know they do OEC”s well...I was too worried about it not being colorless. Some of the emerald cuts from them looked milky and tinted to me even though they were supposed to be colorless.
I’m glad you were able to switch to OEC; I don’t think I’d be comfortable getting an emerald cut if I wasn’t sure about the color. I think the OEC is a better choice, but that’s just personal preference. :kiss2:

I plan to contact Tianyu, Starsgem, and Provence for pictures of their marquise in different settings. I don't have high expectations, though; that one from Starsgem a few months back looked very yellow compared to the C&C F1 and I'm not even highly color sensitive! I don’t mind warmth as long as I’m expecting it and paying for what I expect.

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
Based on the last several response I am gathering that you all would not buy a pear from Tianyu?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I feel so lame asking this... but can someone link me to a Tianyu 7mm RBC H&A cut stone for sale? The last time I meant to order from Tianyu I ended up somewhere else completely and I don’t want to mess up again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results