shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
molecule, thanks for your help with the CAD editing!

I has emailed Tianyu my concerns & requested upper and mid shank width measurements, and got revisions today, which look like they’ve addressed some of the problems, but not entirely. Question for you guys, are you just copying the picture into Word doc for edit, or is there a way to download a CAD program ourselves & try to edit?

Here is my revised CAD from Tianyu

6DDC4CE0-5500-4FE7-8C57-F9C590DB339A.jpeg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
molecule, thanks for your help with the CAD editing!

I has emailed Tianyu my concerns & requested upper and mid shank width measurements, and got revisions today, which look like they’ve addressed some of the problems, but not entirely. Question for you guys, are you just copying the picture into Word doc for edit, or is there a way to download a CAD program ourselves & try to edit?

Here is my revised CAD from Tianyu

6DDC4CE0-5500-4FE7-8C57-F9C590DB339A.jpeg

It does look better but it seems like they forgot to adjust the thickness of the cathedral arches on the sides as @JPie suggested..:shifty:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I got my OEC ring. Finally, it is the OEC cut that I’ve been wanting. This is the 3rd OEC that I have. I sold the other 2 because I didn’t like how they turned out. This…this is a perfect cut for me. The pedals are crisp. You can see the gray center (to be expected), but they’re very light and not static (it’s darker at night, but still not bad). And it’s only when you’re looking at it straight on. I decided to go with a design that will expose the gem to light. The stone isn’t trap by the basket. It’s a pretty open head design. I was worry about the dark center so I wanted the design to allow more light to go through. Sun hasn’t been out today so I haven’t seen how it is in the sun, but I’m sure it’s sparkly like the loose OEC stone I have gotten from Tianyu the first time around. The stone and the cut looks MUCH more beautiful in person. I can finally rest with finding a good OEC stone.

This is my 4th ring with Tianyu so I know how they operate with the thickness. So I asked to see the dimensions that matter to me and we went back and fourth on it a lot. The top part where the side stones sit, i asked them to go as low on the thickness as they could. 1.2mm was the lowest they could do for me. It still looks thick and the ring is hefty (it’s platinum), but it’s actually pretty comfortable. My fingers are not rubbing against the milgrain. Though I did run my finger over it and it feels ok, not too rough. I did asked Emily for the milgrain to be buff down a bit. I don’t know if they did, but they feel fine to me. Again, this is my 4th ring with them so I kind of knew the process and what I had to tell her and what I wanted. That’s the trick with dealing with them. Ask for the dimesnions that you care about and do not go thick with this kind of ring, because they’ll already go pretty hefty with these kind of design. And do not say yes to a stone or CAD til you’re happy. I also asked to see this stone before it was set as well.

I’m going to post my CAD to give an idea of my dimensions and the areas I asked to see the dimensions for.

CAD UPDATE.png

AT NIGHT:
IMG_20180921_012603.jpg

OFFICE LIGHTING and it’s reflecting off color from my green sweater. My prongs are like heart shapes:D
IMG_20180921_155036.jpg
IMG_20180921_155001.jpg
IMG_20180921_155052.jpg IMG_20180921_154951.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my OEC ring. Finally, it is the OEC cut that I’ve been wanting. This is the 3rd OEC that I have. I sold the other 2 because I didn’t like how they turned out. This…this is a perfect cut for me. The pedals are crisp. You can see the gray center (to be expected), but they’re very light and not static (it’s darker at night, but still not bad). And it’s only when you’re looking at it straight on. I decided to go with a design that will expose the gem to light. The stone isn’t trap by the basket. It’s a pretty open head design. I was worry about the dark center so I wanted the design to allow more light to go through. Sun hasn’t been out today so I haven’t seen how it is in the sun, but I’m sure it’s sparkly like the loose OEC stone I have gotten from Tianyu the first time around. The stone and the cut looks MUCH more beautiful in person. I can finally rest with finding a good OEC stone.

This is my 4th ring with Tianyu so I know how they operate with the thickness. So I asked to see the dimensions that matter to me and we went back and fourth on it a lot. The top part where the side stones sit, i asked them to go as low on the thickness as they could. 1.2mm was the lowest they could do for me. It still looks thick and the ring is hefty (it’s platinum), but it’s actually pretty comfortable. My fingers are not rubbing against the milgrain. Though I did run my finger over it and it feels ok, not too rough. I did asked Emily for the milgrain to be buff down a bit. I don’t know if they did, but they feel fine to me. Again, this is my 4th ring with them so I kind of knew the process and what I had to tell her and what I wanted. That’s the trick with dealing with them. Ask for the dimesnions that you care about and do not go thick with this kind of ring, because they’ll already go pretty hefty with these kind of design. And do not say yes to a stone or CAD til you’re happy. I also asked to see this stone before it was set as well.

I’m going to post my CAD to give an idea of my dimensions and the areas I asked to see the dimensions for.

CAD UPDATE.png

AT NIGHT:
IMG_20180921_012603.jpg

OFFICE LIGHTING and it’s reflecting off color from my green sweater. My prongs are like heart shapes:D
IMG_20180921_155036.jpg
IMG_20180921_155001.jpg
IMG_20180921_155052.jpg IMG_20180921_154951.jpg

Ok that looks totally fab. What a stunning ring!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I'm using very basic photo editing software called Snagit. You can get a free trial: https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

Alternately, Microsoft Paint or PowerPoint might work in a pinch.

CAD2.jpg

I just wanted to mention one last thing about the petal cut-out’s. In your inspiration picture they look longer & thinner and go deeper into the shank. As a few other people have mentioned the marquise from the top view look a little short still on that CAD. It is missing the organic feel of those details flowing or almost melting into those shoulders. I could be looking at it wrong but if the cut-out’s are shorter & taller than the ring is going to sit higher on the finger than your inspiration picture.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
7DB2747E-6C62-45AE-B4FB-70E44EDCA3FD.png 6B553AD3-9CA5-465A-BE27-C42FD0EBB564.png 67EEA60A-3CD9-4FCC-A3C6-72F1DC68340B.jpeg @swaye2010 I understand, and did convey this to them I also addressed my concerns about the thickness of the upper shank & overall proportions. Here’s the response- screenshot pic got a little distorted;

Since its drawing is computermized ,( looks different while comparing the actual),
so it should be proproiate length of petals shoulder, we considering your comfortable wearing. if enlongated too long will gap of fingers .

(the sidestones on petals shoulder is 1.2mm and 1.7mm, if you narrow the stones have to be make it more smaller size)

Below your request we understood too. since its same cause by computermized drawing, the actual product we can't be set so low,
petsales ony wrap the pavillion exactly like your picture.

So I said ok, because that explanation made sense to me.

I asked her for pics & videos of the stone.
I can’t upload the video, but it is the one on the right.

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
7DB2747E-6C62-45AE-B4FB-70E44EDCA3FD.png 6B553AD3-9CA5-465A-BE27-C42FD0EBB564.png 67EEA60A-3CD9-4FCC-A3C6-72F1DC68340B.jpeg @swaye2010 I understand, and did convey this to them I also addressed my concerns about the thickness of the upper shank & overall proportions. Here’s the response- screenshot pic got a little distorted;

Since its drawing is computermized ,( looks different while comparing the actual),
so it should be proproiate length of petals shoulder, we considering your comfortable wearing. if enlongated too long will gap of fingers .

(the sidestones on petals shoulder is 1.2mm and 1.7mm, if you narrow the stones have to be make it more smaller size)

Below your request we understood too. since its same cause by computermized drawing, the actual product we can't be set so low,
petsales ony wrap the pavillion exactly like your picture.

So I said ok, because that explanation made sense to me.

I asked her for pics & videos of the stone.
I can’t upload the video, but it is the one on the right.

I think you have done everything you can to make sure the CAD is right and the proportions will work for you. Your ring is a little different because there is an organic quality to the design style that is hard to convey in their drawings. As long as they have good pictures from all angles so they can translate this vision for you, I think you will be fine...

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I think you have done everything you can to make sure the CAD is right and the proportions will work for you. Your ring is a little different because there is an organic quality to the design style that is hard to convey in their drawings. As long as they have good pictures from all angles so they can translate this vision for you, I think you will be fine...

Thanks everyone for all your input! I have given the go ahead to move to production. Here’s the stone.

6EFE8DD2-1579-4AAC-ABC8-581715F1ADAC.jpeg

05BDD521-359E-411E-8821-90085EA01F07.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D9434E6-B0B8-4C70-97BA-D1E56A3EBD57.jpeg
    9D9434E6-B0B8-4C70-97BA-D1E56A3EBD57.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 19

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Question for everyone that has placed orders with Tianyu- I am kinda shocked and dismayed here. I placed an order with Tianyu thru Ella. I was quoted a price and paid in full for my invoice which included a custom made ring and 1 single stone for purchase. The ring has been made and is finished. I received photos and a video confirmation from her today. I told her it was PERFECT and I was excited to receive it and now just needed a video of the stone to verify the color and cut. She then immediately replies back with this which came out of left field at me:
"Thanks for quick answer. the weight of the ring is out of my estimation, when i quoted you, i thoght it will only take about 5g gold, but the last weight is 7.75g, almost 8g gold the result is the price is too low to cover our cost. hope you could understand,.

the stone will be ready tomorrow, there is not stock, we only make one for your order. i will send pictures and video to you for confirmation."

My CAD stated 6.6 grams of gold. This is my VERY first order with Tianyu.. I am shocked and not sure what she is getting at because if the weight of the ring is not what she quote me then I don't see how that could possibly be my fault and if they are wanting to charge me MORE because of that then, I still don't see that as my fault. I don't know what is going to happen here but I am feeling a ton of mixed emotions here. I think that I have already paid enough to have the ring completed and didn't anticipate additional charges after the fact. What should I do here? I hate to ask for a refund if they want to charge additional fees now after the ring has already been made. I need some advice!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Question for everyone that has placed orders with Tianyu- I am kinda shocked and dismayed here. I placed an order with Tianyu thru Ella. I was quoted a price and paid in full for my invoice which included a custom made ring and 1 single stone for purchase. The ring has been made and is finished. I received photos and a video confirmation from her today. I told her it was PERFECT and I was excited to receive it and now just needed a video of the stone to verify the color and cut. She then immediately replies back with this which came out of left field at me:
"Thanks for quick answer. the weight of the ring is out of my estimation, when i quoted you, i thoght it will only take about 5g gold, but the last weight is 7.75g, almost 8g gold the result is the price is too low to cover our cost. hope you could understand,.

the stone will be ready tomorrow, there is not stock, we only make one for your order. i will send pictures and video to you for confirmation."

My CAD stated 6.6 grams of gold. This is my VERY first order with Tianyu.. I am shocked and not sure what she is getting at because if the weight of the ring is not what she quote me then I don't see how that could possibly be my fault and if they are wanting to charge me MORE because of that then, I still don't see that as my fault. I don't know what is going to happen here but I am feeling a ton of mixed emotions here. I think that I have already paid enough to have the ring completed and didn't anticipate additional charges after the fact. What should I do here? I hate to ask for a refund if they want to charge additional fees now after the ring has already been made. I need some advice!

Please forgive me if you’ve posted already, but what did you have made? Nearly 8g of gold is a LOT, so I’m wondering if they’ve messed up somehow? Even the big 3 stone halo and band another posted had made was only 9.1! That’s for BOTH rings. I don’t think you should be responsible for the overages. It’s their fault they didn’t quote you properly. Can they meet you halfway? What’s the price difference? I’d have a hard time paying anything on principle, But I’d also want my ring! Lol. The fact that the CADs said 6.6 and now she’s saying they estimated 5 has me a bit confused too. I understand projecting for overages but that seems like a big margin.

I’m so sorry!!! This has to be beyond frustrating for you.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium

They are responsible for calculating the gold weight for a design, not you, therefore they need to eat the cost difference, not you. Bad form, Tianyu. I’d push back on this for sure.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmmmm....this is a tough one. I haven’t heard of this happening before but since I have been helping someone on WB as well, they seem to have a problem with their CAD measurements and their final ring. I think you need to go back first and ask why the ring does not match the final approved CAD? The measurements and weight are what you agreed to and you want your ring to look like that. The second question is what is the price difference. I can assume it will be minimal? I am very sympathetic to this situation but I know they run very lean and the things that we consider ‘normal’ in regards to customer service, don’t exactly happen over there. I would find out why this happened and what is keeping them from making the ring to your agreed specification. This is the one thing I can appreciate about Starsgem....I have altered their CAD’s many times and always increase the thickness, which increases the weight, and they have never once come back and asked for more money.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, someone has made a big boo boo but it surely wasn't me. I am really frustrated. What I had made was not anything complicated but it is something that was dear to my heart. I was trying to wait until I got it in person to post pics here but then this situation arose out of nowhere. Here is my CAD.

Cross Ring CAD.png

It clearly states 6.6 grams of gold. I have waited for over a week for the production of the ring. Just got actual photos and video this morning of it. Was happy and very pleased.
84401215278049568.jpg

20360937320969227.jpg
715721059946295931.jpg

827590949836815543.jpg
253454241240787675.jpg
I replied back that I was THRILLED with how it turned out and couldn't wait to receive it and then she replied back with the message posted about about cost.. I am just sick about this and never anticipated them to charge me more after the fact and the price that I was quoted and agreed upon..

Now I just got this message from her, I am confused as to what she means here:
i am really sorry this happened, since you required horrow underneath in order to clear the stone easily, but now it is solid, that is one reason increase so much weight, we will make it hollow and send to you for confirmation.

Best regards
Ella

WHAT A NIGHTMARE THIS HAS BECOME!!:cry2:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I just looked at my invoice again and there is nothing there that states how much "gold" I am paying for. I am only quoted a price for the ring and then the stones to complete it and also for the single purchase stone so why or how would this now be my responsibility!??:angryfire:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. I am so sorry that they are not standing by what they quoted especially if the gold amount was on the CAD. It is beautiful though.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, someone has made a big boo boo but it surely wasn't me. I am really frustrated. What I had made was not anything complicated but it is something that was dear to my heart. I was trying to wait until I got it in person to post pics here but then this situation arose out of nowhere. Here is my CAD.

Cross Ring CAD.png

It clearly states 6.6 grams of gold. I have waited for over a week for the production of the ring. Just got actual photos and video this morning of it. Was happy and very pleased.
84401215278049568.jpg

20360937320969227.jpg
715721059946295931.jpg

827590949836815543.jpg
253454241240787675.jpg
I replied back that I was THRILLED with how it turned out and couldn't wait to receive it and then she replied back with the message posted about about cost.. I am just sick about this and never anticipated them to charge me more after the fact and the price that I was quoted and agreed upon..

Now I just got this message from her, I am confused as to what she means here:
i am really sorry this happened, since you required horrow underneath in order to clear the stone easily, but now it is solid, that is one reason increase so much weight, we will make it hollow and send to you for confirmation.

Best regards
Ella

WHAT A NIGHTMARE THIS HAS BECOME!!:cry2:

It looks “horrow” under it to me! I totally read that with an Asian accent in my head. Lol. Is the price jump substantial? I agree that this is their fault, not yours. FWIW, the Ring is lovely!!! I can see why you’re so excited about it :kiss2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Does she mean the cross was supposed to be hollow underneath and they made it solid as a mistake....hence the increase in gold/price? At the end she says she will remake it then having it hollow underneath? What is the price difference?

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
In the beginning before I was quoted a price, I sent her a picture for inspiration. Along with that I mentioned that I did want the bottom where the stones are to be open so that I would be able to clean underneath them. I didn't want that part totally enclosed (which would have added more gold weight and gold content). So I am besides myself as to understand what she means when it is already hollow/open underneath. If that area had been totally enclosed/encased with Gold I would be able to understand that it would have added additional weight to the piece but it is not.

:cry2:I am just sick to my stomach about this. I cant believe that this is happening. She hasn't told me how much extra I would have to pay yet and I haven't asked. I told her that I have already paid the invoice in full with all the extra fees that were included to send the money to them. I am NOT doing that again and don't see that it is my fault to be penalized for something that they should have done correctly in the first place. Sad to say I don't think that I will be ordering from them again because this has left a VERY bad taste in my mouth! On a very first order to boot!!

I held off ordering from them for a while until I could see how everyone projects were coming along. I took a risk and now I am sorry that I did..

:naughty:You don't do that.. You don't agree to a certain price with someone for a project and then once it has gone as far as completion you tell them there will be more additional charges!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
In the beginning before I was quoted a price, I sent her a picture for inspiration. Along with that I mentioned that I did want the bottom where the stones are to be open so that I would be able to clean underneath them. I didn't want that part totally enclosed (which would have added more gold weight and gold content). So I am besides myself as to understand what she means when it is already hollow/open underneath. If that area had been totally enclosed/encased with Gold I would be able to understand that it would have added additional weight to the piece but it is not.

:cry2:I am just sick to my stomach about this. I cant believe that this is happening. She hasn't told me how much extra I would have to pay yet and I haven't asked. I told her that I have already paid the invoice in full with all the extra fees that were included to send the money to them. I am NOT doing that again and don't see that it is my fault to be penalized for something that they should have done correctly in the first place. Sad to say I don't think that I will be ordering from them again because this has left a VERY bad taste in my mouth! On a very first order to boot!!

I held off ordering from them for a while until I could see how everyone projects were coming along. I took a risk and now I am sorry that I did..

:naughty:You don't do that.. You don't agree to a certain price with someone for a project and then once it has gone as far as completion you tell them there will be more additional charges!

I agree with everything you said 100%. Im hopeful that they’ll make it right, and they’re usually good about working with people. I’d wait to see the price difference and go from there. It might be minimal and you can negotiate paying it and the fees. I agree you shouldn’t have to pay anything, but if it’s a small amount it may be worth it, and I’d probably stick with SG for future orders because of my experience.

I think this is bad for business too, especially considering it’s your first order, but I’d let them try to fix it before getting upset. And I wouldn’t want a new ring. I’d want THAT ring for the price quoted.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock

I got charged for extra gold. I believe the 2 gram jump was just shy of $100. It was because the initial quote they sent was for a flat band as opposed to a raised band that I think ultimately sat much nicer. I paid the extra BUT they notified me of the extra gold before production and gave me the option to stick with a lighter band if I didn't want to pay for the extra.
I'd be really disappointed if I felt like my ring was being held hostage until I paid more than the agreed amount. They should have discussed the extra gold charge prior to production.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I have been crying:cry2: my eyes out over this issue and I don't think that I am being treated fairly by them. In fact I feel like I am being bamboozled. It is just bad business all the way around. I had waited for like a week to hear something back from her about production of the ring after agreement of the CAD. I finally heard back from her on Sunday night and she said that the ring was already finished and she would send me photos and video tomorrow because it was a Chinese Autumn Holiday there. I said that will be fine. I get the email from her today to approve of the final ring and I told her it was perfect. Then I asked her to send me a video of the Radiant cut so that I could see what it looked like before shipment. That is when and only when I got a reply back saying that there would be extra charges for the additional gold! I was never informed prior to production that it was going to involve more gold weight and therefore more cost!

I am going to request a refund in Alibaba and hopefully I will get it. I just don't feel comfortable dealing with them now at this point because who knows what they will do the ring just to cut cost. It is not right to do what they have done here and I do not feel good about doing business with them again in the future. I guess I should have gotten SG to do it but I took a chance and trusted Tianyu and now this has been done. I do not trust them now!:(2

Guess I will stick to buying local or eBay..
Sad and disgusted!!sad :((

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I have been crying:cry2: my eyes out over this issue and I don't think that I am being treated fairly by them. In fact I feel like I am being bamboozled. It is just bad business all the way around. I had waited for like a week to hear something back from her about production of the ring after agreement of the CAD. I finally heard back from her on Sunday night and she said that the ring was already finished and she would send me photos and video tomorrow because it was a Chinese Autumn Holiday there. I said that will be fine. I get the email from her today to approve of the final ring and I told her it was perfect. Then I asked her to send me a video of the Radiant cut so that I could see what it looked like before shipment. That is when and only when I got a reply back saying that there would be extra charges for the additional gold! I was never informed prior to production that it was going to involve more gold weight and therefore more cost!

I am going to request a refund in Alibaba and hopefully I will get it. I just don't feel comfortable dealing with them now at this point because who knows what they will do the ring just to cut cost. It is not right to do what they have done here and I do not feel good about doing business with them again in the future. I guess I should have gotten SG to do it but I took a chance and trusted Tianyu and now this has been done. I do not trust them now!:(2

Oh no!! I am so sorry. I understand completely wanting to wash your hands if a vendor once you’ve had a bad experience though. You have to do what you feel most comfortable with. Why don’t you give SG a try once you get the refund from Alibaba?

Cyber hugs!!! :kiss2:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So sorry and frustrated for you. Asking for extra $ after production isn’t the way to run a business. I hope you get the refund and move on to happier projects.

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
Taurus - I am so sorry they are doing this. I totally agree to change the agreement after you both consented to it is bad business. A good business would just eat the cost if they underpriced your quote.

I hope you can get your refund via alibaba. When they refunded me, they would not do it through alibaba (which is how I paid) so not only did I have to pay fees for purchasing via Alibaba, i was charged fees when the refund came from paypal. If you lodge a complaint through alibaba hopefully they will be forced to refund you that way too. My suspicion is it has to do with their rating on that site but I don't know for sure.

Either way, I am so sorry things have turned sour. Not only did they lose you as a customer they likely lost other customers which is going to hurt them more than the cost of that extra bit of gold on your ring.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
6717F3FD-9A71-45DF-BE81-8983665AEE2A.jpeg D3281CFA-603C-4882-B539-21B7601A9B02.jpeg 4A7345C6-A75E-4798-AFE6-9BF6A88834C9.jpeg 7AF8E06A-B609-4F6A-9264-96BBE45FAE5A.jpeg

My custom setting came today. I posted the details in a previous thread but thought I’d attach pictures here for people who might be referencing this thread in the future for projects. Thankful for everyone’s help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results