shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from CeylonSapphireGems: An expensive mistake

cheegg

Rough_Rock
@Ionysis: Just....stop. You keep going on and on about issues that don't address what people are posting about.

He refused to return any money until @Spring Day had to threaten him with posting on PS about this whole mess. That is intention to defraud.

And guess what? I, on the other hand, hadn't mentioned PS and oh looky here, I haven't gotten a single penny! But who knows. Maybe now that I've created this thread, he'll see he could lose more money than what he's taken from me.

And with the whole thing about sharing people's private information willy-nilly, you seriously think withdrawing money from people's account is the only issue here? Dude, he's sending our full name, address, email, phone number, and any combination of the above to at least half a dozen strangers. One was from France, another was in Dubai, I think there was someone from China in there... Come on, people don't even like it when companies sell our contact info to spammers. You really see nothing wrong with this?

Oh! And now that I think about it, he never actually sent us proof that any of his clients agreed to send the money to us. He would just share a screenshot of our banking info that he had sent to someone and would go "See??? I confirmed the payment with my client. You will get the money today or tomorrow." Ugh...

And why do you keep waxing poetic about how trustworthy and reliable Asian vendors are usually? Honestly, why does that even matter here? CeylonSapphireGems has NOT conducted himself in an ethical manner and should not be excused as such.

Furthermore, I can't believe you have the gall to say if I can't stomach the loss then I shouldn't bother working with sellers who are cash-only (so to speak). Ok so I don't need this money to pay bills or anything. But for most people, yeah it's gonna kinda suck.

But this is all just a smokescreen. The real issue that everyone else has been trying to get through to you is that regardless of whatever your experiences are, the fact remains that CEYLONSAPPHIREGEMS DID NOT ACT IN AN HONEST OR ETHICAL MANNER.

In fact, I had just made a return earlier this year to another international vendor from IG. I goofed and sent them the number for the wrong account. You know what this vendor did when I told them? They immediately contacted their bank asked them to sent it to the correct account of mine. Then, they sent me a screenshot with the confirmation from their bank and the updated ETA. This is how honest and ethical vendors behave.

Rant. Over.

Applause

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
As a buyer I would be kind of suspicious if the seller told me to send money to this other person's account as payment too. That alone can steer me away from buying from them.

Whether or not that practice is acceptable or not, still doesn't change the fact that the seller did not exactly encourage trust since he changed his story like a million times by now. Deepest symapthies, hope you get your money back soon :(

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Jesus wept…. definition of fraud - scheme to defraud the victim of money or property. He is trying to refund the money not steal it.

Panic over people being able to steal from you with the info you’ve provided for a wire transfer is unwarranted. It would need a combination of your date of birth, Identity Number, PIN, full name, address, the full card number on the front of the card, its expiry date and CVG number at the back to extract money from your bank account.

It isn’t possible for your account to be hacked with just an account number and sort code, even with your name and address details. Your cheques have this info on them! The only thing someone can do with the data provided for a wire transfer is put money INTO your account.

How do I know this? Because I head up a risk department of a international commercial bank. Let’s please not scaremonger and make people more worried and upset than they are already.
He's sending this information to all sorts of random people who could then take next steps if they had the inclination. Without their consent. That's why people protect their private information details. People's identities are stolen all the time. That's not safe and the potential for fraud increases with such practices. So yeah, I'd be really worried about potential fraud.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Jesus wept…. definition of fraud - scheme to defraud the victim of money or property. He is trying to refund the money not steal it.

Panic over people being able to steal from you with the info you’ve provided for a wire transfer is unwarranted. It would need a combination of your date of birth, Identity Number, PIN, full name, address, the full card number on the front of the card, its expiry date and CVG number at the back to extract money from your bank account.

It isn’t possible for your account to be hacked with just an account number and sort code, even with your name and address details. Your cheques have this info on them! The only thing someone can do with the data provided for a wire transfer is put money INTO your account.

How do I know this? Because I head up a risk department of a international commercial bank. Let’s please not scaremonger and make people more worried and upset than they are already.

I am quite worry about the risk management at your bank. Have you not heard of personal data privacy? Would you like to share your personal data with strangers? I am not sure about the privacy policy requirements in your country; but in mine, there is an ordinance about it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Uuuuugh I'm almost embarrassed to share the price, because it'll just show how big of an idiot I was. Let's just say, it cost as much as my 1.90ct OEC (aka Patchy).

Pic tax below:
pic of patchy.jpeg
Photo Credit to @Spring Day

Don't be embarrased.

I spent a good chunk of money on a stone through IG is.

The difference was, my guy wasn't shady. You also had good faith with multiple other positive reviews. (I only knew of one PSer who bought through my vendor.)

I hope you see success soon. It's not your fault at all!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all started with me buying a 4.09ct blue sapphire from CeylonSapphireGems on Instagram. I took a chance because his prices were nearly half of US vendors. Also, other PSers seemed to have good experiences buying from him. Unfortunately, the sapphire ended up being a lot darker and grayer than I expected, so I requested a refund per his "100% satisfaction guaranteed" policy.

However, the seller would not send me a return shipping label. So I created one myself for the very first time. BIG MISTAKE. I did everything right except I put the seller's name instead of "CeylonSapphireGems." This error caused the package to bounce back from FedEx to customs, because his name was not registered with VAT system.

Initially, the seller wouldn't go to pick up the package, because he said he would have to pay higher VAT fees if it is not under his company name. Once I realized he really wasn't going to go, I offered to cover the difference if he would just go get the package. When he finally went, we then found out that the package could not be released until the name was fixed. FedEx would have to send him some paperwork to make the name change.

Days pass. The seller claimed his "handling agent" had contacted FedEx to get the paperwork. But he never got them so there was nothing he could do. I asked if he tried contacting FedEx himself. The seller literally responded with, "Plz tel me how." So I actually had to find the phone number for their office (in Sri Lanka, where he is based!) and forwarded it to him. Oh look! Two days later, the paperwork was delivered to him.

Initially, he blamed these delays on him never having someone request a return from him in the 16 years or whatever that he has been in business. Then never mind, he actually had one before but it was years ago. Then no wait, I'm the second return he'd ever gotten. Hold on, make that 3. All happening right now. And all from first time buyers. Huh, how bout that.

Furthermore, he kept using the "never had a return before" bit as an excuse for why he made little effort to make things right even though he really wanted to! So I, as the client and a foreigner to his country, researched banking regulations, phone numbers for businesses, etc. etc., trying to get this all sorted out.

Eventually, the package was released after a 4-week delay.

Phew. Ok, let's get the refund going now! Or so I thought...

After the seller received the package and confirmed that the sapphire was in the same condition as when he sent it, he promised to wire my refund within a day or two.

Note: When I first requested to return the stone, he told me that the only way to move $ out of Sri Lanka was through a black market money exchange agent. I did some research and learned that Sri Lanka has some of the most restrictive laws regarding sending money out of the country. So at the time I thought, "Alrighty, do what you gotta do."

But after 2 business days had passed, I asked him for an update. He responded that he won't be making the wire transfer after all.

After more excuses and delays, CeylonSapphireGems finally admitted he didn't want to wire $ thru his black market money exchange agent, because he'd lose a lot $ on the exchange rate. Instead, this whole time he was waiting for a client to buy a stone from him and have that client send me the money directly. Wait what?

Then one client suddenly became two. After a while and I hadn't heard anything from either client, CeylonSapphireGems eventually agreed to personally wire me my refund and take the loss on the exchange rate if his clients hadn't Zelled me my money by the end of the week. Friday passes. No money to be seen.

CeylonSapphireGems reneged on his word, again. He decided he still wasn't going to complete the wire transfer himself, because of how much money he would supposedly lose. I mean, I understand that exchange rates fluctuate. But isn't this an expected risk when doing business with international clients? And why does he keep saying it's a valid reason to withhold thousands of dollars from someone?

So he continues to insist on waiting for a client to pay me directly. To date, he has sent my personal info (including my full name and home address) to four randos. Well, four that I know of. Awesome.

As of now, CeylonSapphireGems has had the returned item in his possession for 3 whole weeks as well as all of my money. Meanwhile, I'm left with nothing.

So that's the long and the short of it. I hope this post will be helpful to anyone who is considering doing business with CeylonSapphireGems.

Now excuse me while I continue to wait for this next client of his who "will send money today." Although, he's been saying this for the past 5 days so...yeah… Wish me luck!
Good f***ing god.

Yes, many people have my information. Phone number, address, accounts.
Good f***ing god.

I wonder how many more times I'm going to type that reading this thread.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I'm so sorry. I've taken some risks too. I've gotten lucky, all of mine worked out okay, but this is a good reminder that... Sometimes you don't get lucky. I really hope you get your d*mn refund soon.

In the meantime - I'm watching this thread and I plan to bump it when it hits Pg 2. Every PSer who buys CSs off IG vendors without local-to-them business presences should read this.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I am NOT SAYING any of this is OK!! Show me where I have.

I’m solely trying to be reassuring to some scared and worried people that based on historic experience and factual evidence 1. They will be likely to get their money back eventually and 2. They will be very unlikely to suffer financial loss or criminal attack from the dissemination of wire transfer information.

How is it helpful to the OP to jump on the bandwagon and say “OMG you’re clearly the victim of a criminal scam! Change your bank accounts! You’ll never see that money again! Your identity is going to be stolen!”. Is that likely to improve the posters frame of mind or help in any way? It’s hysterical scaremongering and they are going through enough anxiety as it is!

Anastasia, I can imagine you are extremely worried. I feel terrible for you. But unlike some others I don’t want to catastrophise an already very scary situation for you. It’s likely you will get refunded. It’s unlikely you will suffer further dreadful consequences from the sharing of your wire information - however violating that feels. And it’s likely to be the only way you DO get repaid. I can only hope that this gets resolved for you in time and that you get over your present distress.

W

westofhere

Ionysis, when you met this seller in person in Sri Lanka, as you mentioned in another thread (post #10 below), you got no sense of how dishonest he was?

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m solely trying to be reassuring to some scared and worried people that based on historic experience and factual evidence 1. They will be likely to get their money back eventually and 2. They will be very unlikely to suffer financial loss or criminal attack from the dissemination of wire transfer information.

How is it helpful to the OP to jump on the bandwagon and say “OMG you’re clearly the victim of a criminal scam! Change your bank accounts! You’ll never see that money again! Your identity is going to be stolen!”. Is that likely to improve the posters frame of mind or help in any way? It’s hysterical scaremongering and they are going through enough anxiety as it is!

Anastasia, I can imagine you are extremely worried. I feel terrible for you. But unlike some others I don’t want to catastrophise an already very scary situation for you. It’s likely you will get refunded. It’s unlikely you will suffer further dreadful consequences from the sharing of your wire information - however violating that feels. And it’s likely to be the only way you DO get repaid. I can only hope that this gets resolved for you in time and that you get over your present distress.

I have no words. I'm just gonna leave this here and let people judge for themselves. This was from August 1st:

Screenshot_20210813-170855_Instagram~3.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was the OP I would be doing exactly what Spring Day said she’s doing - closing my old accounts, opening new accounts, and triple-checking that my credit is frozen with all three bureaus.

Arranging “refunds” by having customers send wire transfers to other customers is beyond the realm of remotely acceptable regardless of culture, cultural mores, trade habits, money transfer restrictions...
If you can’t arrange to do business in accordance with your own stated policies, you shouldn’t state those policies. Period.

I do 100% understand what @Ionysis is saying about different cultures dealing with problems differently. It’s an issue that comes up frequently in my field - people from some cultures (predominantly Asian, I’ll be frank) can’t be trusted to manage US/Canada-based client accounts because they’re so often incapable of saying “no” to unreasonable customer demands. It’s a real problem that’s very challenging to address.

Last edited:
W

westofhere

All of this not because he couldn’t fix the problem, but because he was unwilling to take a financial hit on the refund. Such foolish greed.

Last edited by a moderator:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just to inject some humor into this crazy situation -- hand to God this was my fortune from a fortune cookie tonight:

20210813_195537.jpg

Oh F that. Girl, you keep sticking it to him til you get every last penny back. You’ve already done your community service starting this thread.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I do 100% understand what @Ionysis is saying about different cultures dealing with problems differently. It’s an issue that comes up frequently in my field - people from some cultures (predominantly Asian, I’ll be frank) can’t be trusted to manage US/Canada-based client accounts because they’re so often incapable of saying “no” to unreasonable customer demands. It’s a real problem that’s very challenging to address.

I have dealt with jewellers in China frequently. Can't tell how many times I've I told them to be honest with me and if they can't make the things I request, I will understand, and the response is always "We can do it!". Then they shows up with a terrible job that's nothing close and try to persuade me that it's better somehow.

NOTHING against Chinese people fyi, just saying that it's definitely an culture thing but it can get pretty frustrating, but just because it's the norm doesn't mean it's a good thing, either. No one likes to be lied to, ever. Even in Asia sellers who are honest still gain a much larger following. I have jewellers in China that I can trust as well, but it took a lot more effort to sift through them.

Last edited:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
I have dealt with jewelers in China frequently. Can't tell how many times I've I told them to be honest with me if they can't make the things I request I will understand, and the response is always "We can do it!". Then they shows up with a terrible job that's nothing close and theb try to persuade me that it's better somehow.

NOTHING against China fyi, just saying thag it's definitely an culture thing but it can get pretty frustrating, but just because it's the norm doesn't mean it's a good thing, either. No one likes to be lied to, ever. Even in Asia sellers who are honest still gain a much larger following.

There are good sellers and bad sellers in every country. My jeweler in Hong Kong is super good and will always fix things for me until I am satisfied. There are also some jewelers I stopped going due to their services level. Hard to conclude whether a seller is honest or not based on their countries.

To be honest, as a Chinese, I also don’t like to deal with people in mainland China. Hard to tell if they are telling the truth or not.

cheegg

Rough_Rock

Please just stop the nonsense here. In your first couple of comments on both threads, you DID NOT show any sympathy to us at all, which is not the purpose of us sharing the story. But instead you are defending him over and over again, by "educating" us on how you think it is acceptable....

People are here to help alert others, to help come up with solutions, and we wish all of us can be made whole in the end, especially for the OP. But sorry, it does not seem to me, you are helping here at all...

It's lucky for you to have good relationship with the seller. But if you can not hold him accountable, you are simply misleading people and endangering other potential customers.

I have dealt with jewellers in China frequently. Can't tell how many times I've I told them to be honest with me and if they can't make the things I request, I will understand, and the response is always "We can do it!". Then they shows up with a terrible job that's nothing close and try to persuade me that it's better somehow.

NOTHING against Chinese people fyi, just saying that it's definitely an culture thing but it can get pretty frustrating, but just because it's the norm doesn't mean it's a good thing, either. No one likes to be lied to, ever. Even in Asia sellers who are honest still gain a much larger following. I have jewellers in China that I can trust as well, but it took a lot more effort to sift through them.

I get what you're trying to say. As an Asian person myself, I'm definitely the type to go "no it's ok," "I'll figure something out," etc. What differs me from CeylonSapphireGems is that when I goof, I immediately apologize, acknowledge my mistake, then do everything I can to make things right. Seems like CSG is stuck on the first step. Lol.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you think I haven’t been “helpful”. It was actually me who remitted funds to Spring Day to refund her - in advance of me actually making another sapphire purchase - because it was easier for the seller to owe me rather than a new buyer, given I’ve been dealing with him for a couple of years. I felt bad that I had recommended the seller on here and people were stressed and out of pocket. But no, I’m an unhelpful bitch.

roxta

Shiny_Rock
This thread makes me want to hide under my blanket and never come out. The most I've ever spent on a gemstone (not diamond) is $400. It was a sapphire from SL and I bought it on Etsy, paid through Paypal, funded with my Mastercard. 3 "levels" of buyer protection just in case there was an issue - luckily there wasn't. I also bought a spinel on Instagram once and insisted on paying by Paypal, offering extra to cover the Paypal fees. Sometimes peace of mind is worth an extra 5%.

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to OP and others affected. How truly awful. Even if you eventually get all your money back, I can't imagine the anxiety and mental/emotional stress endured in the process. I would be going crazy even chasing up my $400....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results