shape
carat
color
clarity

buyers remorse on pink tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Have you ever bought a colored gemstone, liked it well enough to keep only to dislike it a few days after? Well it''s just happened to me w/a pink tourmaline I recently purchased. Luckily it wasn''t terribly expensive but I still feel like a fool and find myself stuck w/a stone I have no intentions of setting. sigh

Here''s the stone I''m talking about, it''s not an eyesore by any means but...

More pics coming up

Dan Stair Tourmaline TO1141 6.77mm 1.29ct.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Is this a Dan Stair? So sorry to hear you don''t like your new stone - I''m going through a bit of that myself. Can you return it? Show us more pics before you do, though.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
here are my pics taken outdoors at sunset

DTourm 1.JPG

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cellentani you have a good eye, yes it's a Dan Stair gem. I'm past the return period and as you may know he has a new return policy in effect and so this is why I say I'm stuck with it. One more pic and then I'll explain what I don't like.

DTourm 2.JPG

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Last pic, this stone was very difficult to photograph because it''s quite a chameleon and sunset lighting is not the best for photographing gems.

DTourm 3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is his new return policy? Why don''t you like the stone?

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Let me begin by saying I did not start this thread to trash DanStair! He is an incredibly talented and kind person to deal with, my regrets are solely based on my personal preferences. I'm one of those people who's very picky about gemstones
emsmilep.gif
LOL I love the color of the tourmaline, it has an interesting shift going from a bright bubblegum pink to a plummy mauve depending on the lighting. What I'm not loving about this stone and the dealbreaker for me is the faceting, it's really not doing anything for me. I think my problem is that once I saw a Barry Bridgestock round in person no one else's can quite compare to his. Someone brought up cutting style preferences on another thread, I just found out the hard whose cutting style I prefer. sigh The stone is small, only 6.77mm and so not really worth the hassle and expense of a recut, I'm torn whether to try unloading it on Fleabay cheap or have it set into one of those pretty Etsy bezel rings I keep seeing to give away as a gift.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a "for sale" section of PS? If so I''m sure it would sell. Sorry that you don''t like it.

I like both Dan and Barry''s cutting styles, but they are different.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:37:34 PM
Author: Chicago
Let me begin by saying I did not start this thread to trash DanStair! He is an incredibly talented and kind person to deal with, my regrets are solely based on my personal preferences. I''m one of those people who''s very picky about gemstones
emsmilep.gif
LOL I love the color of the tourmaline, it has an interesting shift going from a bright bubblegum pink to a plummy mauve depending on the lighting. What I''m not loving about this stone and the dealbreaker for me is the faceting, it''s really not doing anything for me. I think my problem is that once I saw a Barry Bridgestock round in person no one else''s can quite compare to his. Someone brought up cutting style preferences on another thread, I just found out the hard whose cutting style I prefer. sigh The stone is small, only 6.77mm and so not really worth the hassle and expense of a recut, I''m torn whether to try unloading it on Fleabay cheap or have it set into one of those pretty Etsy bezel rings I keep seeing to give away as a gift.
Oh Chicago, I''m so sorry. I can be uber-picky about some gemstones, so I completely understand. If you like the color though, what about a pendant where the cut isn''t as noticable, but the color certainly is? I''m sure you could get it done fairly cheaply, too.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:32:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What is his new return policy? Why don't you like the stone?
Tourm_lover I fall under the 'new buyers' category under his return policy. Really my only justification for wanting to return it is that I simply don't like it and have buyer's remorse...which isn't a good enough reason at all if you ask me. The stone is very clean, color is lovely but I just don't care for the cut and it took me too long to figure that out. I don't think it would be fair for me to expect him to take it back after almost two weeks based on those reasons alone. Had it been misrepresented in some way well that's another story but in this case I rcv'd what was pictured and waited too long to realize I don't like it. Lesson learned!
7.gif

EMPTorres

Shiny_Rock
Sorry you don''t care for the color! It is really pretty in the pictures. I love the raspberry pink color it shows.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it''s worth, I think it''s a lovely looking stone. I had my a stone bezeled in a silver setting on etsy for about 25$, so it''s certainly not expensive to do that as a gift for someone.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:45:06 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Is there a ''for sale'' section of PS? If so I''m sure it would sell. Sorry that you don''t like it.

I like both Dan and Barry''s cutting styles, but they are different.
Me too, for instance I think Dan cuts a mean barion square as seen below!
30.gif
Unfortunately I wasn''t quick enough to buy that one but whoever did I''m certain is quite happy with it. I bought an Umbalite Garnet round from Dan last year sometime and loved the faceting pattern on that one, it was done in the Portugese cut. I guess this is why I felt confident about buying another round, expecting a similar cut but it wasn''t so. Cellentani I never even thought of a pendant, that''s a good idea. Thank you
1.gif

Dan Stair to1140.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a cool color shifter - reminds me of a pink/mauve spinel. At least it doesn''t go muddy or brown. Well, I think it would make a pretty ring if you ever decide to set it.
1.gif

I do know what you mean about Barry''s cutting style though. His faceting style makes the stones look good enough to eat!!
18.gif

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:49:24 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
For what it''s worth, I think it''s a lovely looking stone. I had my a stone bezeled in a silver setting on etsy for about 25$, so it''s certainly not expensive to do that as a gift for someone.
MakingTheGrade, do you happen to remember who the Etsy vender was? Thanks.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And totally off-topic Chicago, but that''s some kickin'' nail polish you''ve got - it''s not "I''m with Brad" by Sephora/OPI, is it?

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:53:18 PM
I think it's a cool color shifter - reminds me of a pink/mauve spinel. At least it doesn't go muddy or brown. Well, I think it would make a pretty ring if you ever decide to set it.
1.gif

I do know what you mean about Barry's cutting style though. His faceting style makes the stones look good enough to eat!!
18.gif
You said a mouthful there, I have a tourmaline and a garnet from Barry and yes they both look good enough to eat!
30.gif
30.gif
The color shift on Dan's stone is very nice and it consistently holds some shade of pink all the time which I realize now from my reading here can be difficult to find. Maybe an Etsy bezel ring stacked with another w/a green stone in there would be pretty, kinda like the GreatLash mascara tube. Is that odd or do you think that would be a nice color combo if I were to go w/a stacker look? I'm also open to a simple pendant as suggested earlier.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 10:53:40 PM
Date: 5/29/2009 10:49:24 PM

Author: MakingTheGrade

MakingTheGrade, do you happen to remember who the Etsy vender was? Thanks.
Yup, Kyleanne metals :)

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:56:56 PM
Author: cellentani
And totally off-topic Chicago, but that''s some kickin'' nail polish you''ve got - it''s not ''I''m with Brad'' by Sephora/OPI, is it?
Thanks it''s a zillion times nicer in person than the pics. Believe it or not it''s a cheapy $1.99 Rimmel Polish from their Fast Play collection, the color is called Night Before. I''m as addicted to nail polish as I am to jewelry!
31.gif

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Makingthegrade
1.gif

Cellentani I'm sorry to hear you're having a bit of buyers remorse too. Care to share any details?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:06:58 PM
Thanks Makingthegrade
1.gif

Cellentani I'm sorry to hear you're having a bit of buyers remorse too. Care to share any details?

No problemo :)
Here's the setting I'm referring to if it helps, it's not listed on her site, but she does hammered bands and these twisty bands too:
twistymalaya.jpg

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness Making that''s a lovely ring!
36.gif
I''m very partial to twisted braid/rope style rings. Do you wear it by itself or stacked with others? Off I go to cruise Etsy! LOL

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:13:09 PM
Oh my goodness Making that''s a lovely ring!
36.gif
I''m very partial to twisted braid/rope style rings. Do you wear it by itself or stacked with others? Off I go to cruise Etsy! LOL
I''m not very used to stacked rings so I wear it solo. It''s been sitting in the box recently because I''ve been favoring my new sapphire bezel. I''m sure later on it''ll get more "hand time", lol. I really do love it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:06:58 PM
Thanks Makingthegrade
1.gif

Oh heck - I probably shared more details than anyone wanted in my thread. Just look for the BB Rubellite one - it's still on the first page of this forum (at least today). Wait, let me see if I can do the link to cellentani's loooong thread

Hope that works.

Aw shoot - didn't work. Here it is: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bb-rubellite-tourmaline-arrived-today-take-a-look.116403/

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Making you really ought to give that luffly more hand time, she''s beautiful!
30.gif
Thanks for the link Cellentani, I''m going to check it out. I don''t mean to hijack my own thread but I cannot stop looking at pics of your e-ring...is there a show me the ring thread for that beauty?

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!
I had inquired about this stone last week!!! It never said sold and I had e-mailed him about buying it---and he said it was sold--and it was never posted :(

I''m so sorry you are disappointed with it.
7.gif

If it were back on his site-- I would def get it.

I wish Pricescope had a for sale section
1.gif

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:07:33 AM
Author: blinkydoll
OMG!
I had inquired about this stone last week!!! It never said sold and I had e-mailed him about buying it---and he said it was sold--and it was never posted :(

I'm so sorry you are disappointed with it.
7.gif

If it were back on his site-- I would def get it.

I wish Pricescope had a for sale section
1.gif
Me too Blinky, can you imagine the amazing things that would be available? I'm truly sorry you missed out on it
7.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:52:47 PM
Making you really ought to give that luffly more hand time, she''s beautiful!
30.gif
Thanks for the link Cellentani, I''m going to check it out. I don''t mean to hijack my own thread but I cannot stop looking at pics of your e-ring...is there a show me the ring thread for that beauty?
There are a few threads with pics, Chicago, but I should warn you they''re kinda long too. Here''s when I first got it: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3rd-ring-in-two-years-has-arrived-and-i-almost-very-nearly-completely-love-it.105473/

I wasn''t happy with some of the detail work, so I had Quest make completely new prongs and clean it up as best they could. Here''s an unrelated thread, but it has pics of it after (one of the first page, and a couple on the second), but the differences are really subtle, so you may not be able to tell: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-followed-me-home-from-intergem-gemstonesbty-and-sapphire-band.115413/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question? Does Dan cut all the stones, or does his wife cut some as well? Some look distinctly like one cutter, and others look like another.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:28:53 AM
Question? Does Dan cut all the stones, or does his wife cut some as well? Some look distinctly like one cutter, and others look like another.
they both cut them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results