shape
carat
color
clarity

BB rubellite tourmaline arrived today - take a look

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It''s 7.9mm - here''s Barry''s photo:

BB Rub.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think this is my best photo, taken in the window on an overcast afternoon. It''s sitting on my knee, in case you''re wondering.

BB Rub1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''m just going to post a bunch of pics, and these are all in the same overcast window.

BB Rub2.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eeeek--- GORGEOUS-- I''m so drooling over these colored stones.. such beautiful color.
30.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
i love it!! the sparkles are gorgeous!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It goes darker sometimes. Same window, but the light is more behind the stone this time.

BB Rub4.JPG

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love it!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
At an angle

Rubellite angle.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
What's with the colorless part towards the bottom - is that zoning? You really only see this when the stone is upside-down, so it's not going to bother me much.

BB Rub6.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
With my round BevK pink tourmaline and an oval pink sapphire.

BB Rub7.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani,
It''s lovely and looks just like Barry''s photo. What are you planning on doing with it?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another

BB Rub8.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And now for the funky stuff: incandescent light

BB IRub1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It's almost orange-y IRL

ETA: okay, that doesn't look orange at all - you'll have to trust me.

BB IRub2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
more incandescent light

BB IRub3.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flippin Gorgeous!! I adore it and your other rings are absolutely stunning.........especially your e-ring! I love that setting!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
More of the same, but last one.

Gotta run my boy to soccer practice - I''ll be back afterwards. I guess the big question is, is the color worth what I paid?

BB IRub4.JPG

tlh

Ideal_Rock
That is some color! Love it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2009 5:53:58 PM
Author: cellentani

Gotta run my boy to soccer practice - I''ll be back afterwards. I guess the big question is, is the color worth what I paid?
Are you debating it? Do you want honest opinions on the stone?

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I love the color! And my dream stone would be one that color but doesn''t go dark... I have a garnet that I love only in good lighting but feel so-so about it in all other situations. It can be a tough call but I still think your stone is fab
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 6:04:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 5/28/2009 5:53:58 PM
Author: cellentani

Are you debating it? Do you want honest opinions on the stone?
I''m going to give it a day or two because I''m hoping to see it in sunshine. My gut, out-of-the-box reaction is that it has beautiful color in certain conditions, but for $300, I''d like a less finicky stone. But yes, I definitely want your honest opinions - I''m counting on you to not hold anything back, TL!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 6:10:25 PM
Author: akmiss
I love the color! And my dream stone would be one that color but doesn''t go dark... I have a garnet that I love only in good lighting but feel so-so about it in all other situations. It can be a tough call but I still think your stone is fab
1.gif
akmiss, you''ve summed up how I feel about my stone. What kind of garnet do you have?

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a great stone to me and most likely to everyone else, but only you can be the real judge.

Just ask yourself if your really satisfied with the color, (I think it looks nice) but your opinion is what matters.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Also on a second note, I liked it more than the majority of the stones you took pictures of it next to..

The new stone made some of the others look out-classed

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 5/28/2009 8:18:07 PM
Author: Ryon
Also on a second note, I liked it more than the majority of the stones you took pictures of it next to..

Ryon,
IMO the pink stone is very nice as far as the color is concerned, so I wouldn't say that, but that's your opinion, which you're entitled to. The oval pink stone (I forget, is that a pink sapphire?) is brighter and more vivid color than the tourmaline, although it is a native cut.

Since Cellentani asked for honest opinions, I will say this. A rubellite should hold it's reddish color in most light sources. In other words, it shouldn't "brown out." I see it looking very nice in some lighting, but browning out in other lighting. Therefore, I'm a bit confused why Barry classified this as a rubellite (maybe you can ask him that). In that case, it's just a red tourmaline, and since rubellite is a higher premium, I think $300 is a lot of money to spend on a red tourmaline that goes brown in various lighting conditions. The cutting is fabulous, as all of Barry's stones, so you are paying a premium for that, but as far as color is concerned, I think you can do better for that price. How many carats was it? I'm guesstimating around 2 carats, but not sure.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 8:37:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 5/28/2009 8:18:07 PM
Author: Ryon

Ryon,
IMO the pink stone is very nice as far as the color is concerned, so I wouldn''t say that, but that''s your opinion, which you''re entitled to. The oval pink stone (I forget, is that a pink sapphire?) is brighter and more vivid color than the tourmaline, although it is a native cut.

Since Cellentani asked for honest opinions, I will say this. A rubellite should hold it''s reddish color in most light sources. In other words, it shouldn''t ''brown out.'' I see it looking very nice in some lighting, but browning out in other lighting. Therefore, I''m a bit confused why Barry classified this as a rubellite (maybe you can ask him that). In that case, it''s just a red tourmaline, and since rubellite is a higher premium, I think $300 is a lot of money to spend on a red tourmaline that goes brown in various lighting conditions. The cutting is fabulous, as all of Barry''s stones, so you are paying a premium for that, but as far as color is concerned, I think you can do better for that price. How many carats was it? I''m guesstimating around 2 carats, but not sure.
Thanks for all the input guys - I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.

Ryon: I think I know what you might mean by outclassing my other stones - the other round pink tourmaline is not unusual in any way (certainly not a rubellite, and it does have some brown undertones), and the oval pink sapphire has nice color, but my DH bought it in Sri Lanka and it''s pedigree is unknown (could''ve been irradiated for all I know). Funny thing is, DH commented again tonight on how much he likes the color of the pink sapphire, especially compared to the new rubellite.

TL: You''re right on the money - it''s 2.07cts! Even though I already own a pink tourmaline and know how the color shifts in incandescent light, I thought this one would be different. And yeah, I keep asking myself if I''d plunk down $300 if I''d seen that stone at a gem show. I really want a special stone - it''s for my 17th anniversary coming up in June.

When I emailed Barry my concern about it being too dark, he said, "The tourmaline looks like a pink/red malaya in incandescent light and pretty much like the picture under natural and fluorescent light. I did a side by side comparison with a raspberry and it''s very close, but of course much more rare.
When I ordered it in the rough, I was hoping it would have the rubellite color. Sometimes you get lucky."

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks very pretty to me. I really like the color. I adore your wedding ring. It is gorgeous, as are your other rings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Happy Anniversary!! Let us know what you decide on this stone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I was in such a rush earlier that I didn''t respond to everyone''s comments, but I truly appreciate them all. I''m also very flattered by the lovely things you''ve said about my other rings - it certainly made my day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results