shape
carat
color
clarity

BB rubellite tourmaline arrived today - take a look

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani,
Your pink sapphire stands out - the colour is so pink and vivid. My understanding is that a rubellite is supposed to be red and hold their colour well too. This one appears to turn muddy under indoor lighting conditions. Whether you think it''s worth $300 is up to you. If you love it, then $300 is well spent. If you are doubtful, then I would keep looking.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cellantini, that first pic of this stone is lovely! I''m going to use some reasoning that helped me make the decision whether to keep my blue-green Asscher tourmaline that photographs dark . . .

Would you regret it if you sent it back?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous
30.gif
, I love the first few photos the most.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!!!! The color is awesome!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well, I thought the rubellite would perform better in full sun, but it was very inconsistant. Here it's showing mostly purple.

Sunny Rub1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
fairly dark

Sunny Rub2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Is this a tilt window? It's huge!

Sunny Rub4a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It seems to do better in diffused natural light, but I think a lot of stones are like that, right?

Sunny Rub5.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another window, and on the very left edge, you can see where there is no color.

Sunny Rub6.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
If only it could be like this all the time.

Sunny Rub8.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 4:02:56 PM
Author: cellentani
It seems to do better in diffused natural light, but I think a lot of stones are like that, right?
Not necessarily, it depends on the gem species. For example, I'm not crazy about some garnets in diffused natural light, and they look better in incandescents. Personally, for me, I want my stones to perform well in all lighting. Now, some stones do not, and that's fine, but maybe they look a little deeper in color in one light source vs another, but they still hold some nice color regardless. For me, I would not want a stone that goes muddy or extinct in one lighting and looks great or even semi-decent in another. I would only want to wear it half the time then! You should be able to enjoy your gems in most lighting conditions. A true rubellite will perform well whether it's cloudy outside, sunny, or in incandescent light. It may go from pink to red, but still, it is attractive regardless of the light setup.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in again, TL. I''m still disappointed, especially after seeing it go really dark in sunlight. I''ve just emailed Barry, so this one''s probably going back. I really want something like babyblue''s umbalite - in her photos, you can see color change, but it''s not dark or brown. Blehh, it''s back to square one.

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Sorry it didn''t work out. At least you have some other pretties to hold you over until you find "the one." Love that pink sapphire!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 4:53:11 PM
Author: MrsDoubleP
Sorry it didn''t work out. At least you have some other pretties to hold you over until you find ''the one.'' Love that pink sapphire!
Thanks for the sympathies, MrsDoubleP. And you''re right, I should wear those other rings more often!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Most stones are better in diffused light. Diffused light is the same as having a number of different light sources all shining on a stone at the same time, and so it will show a much brighter look than under any single light source. Single bright lights, like the sun, are just about the worst way to view any stone since all of the light is coming from the same direction AND everything around the stone is lit up very brightly, making the stone look much darker than it is. My thinking is that a person is better off not even looking at stones in sunlight, since so few look as good as we'd like them to. Stones which have microscopic inclusions are different in that they always seem to look best in direct sunlight, since the bright light really makes them "glow".

Unfortunately, those stones which look best in nearly every lighting condition are also the most expensive. I think that the rubellite that you've shown is a really nice stone for the price. Getting a clean, ruby red tourmaline in that size might require a re-mortgage of your house. Garnets are nice, but unless they are very light toned, they will darken considerably in sunlight. It's tough having champagne tastes isn't it ?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 4:40:36 PM
Thanks for weighing in again, TL. I''m still disappointed, especially after seeing it go really dark in sunlight. I''ve just emailed Barry, so this one''s probably going back. I really want something like babyblue''s umbalite - in her photos, you can see color change, but it''s not dark or brown. Blehh, it''s back to square one.

Yeah, my malaya has moments where it goes dark, but usually I just have to tilt it a little to get it singing again :)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for you professional input Michael E! Good to see you on here!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 6:51:40 PM
Author: Michael_E

Most stones are better in diffused light. Diffused light is the same as having a number of different light sources all shining on a stone at the same time, and so it will show a much brighter look than under any single light source. Single bright lights, like the sun, are just about the worst way to view any stone since all of the light is coming from the same direction AND everything around the stone is lit up very brightly, making the stone look much darker than it is. My thinking is that a person is better off not even looking at stones in sunlight, since so few look as good as we''d like them to. Stones which have microscopic inclusions are different in that they always seem to look best in direct sunlight, since the bright light really makes them ''glow''.

Unfortunately, those stones which look best in nearly every lighting condition are also the most expensive. I think that the rubellite that you''ve shown is a really nice stone for the price. Getting a clean, ruby red tourmaline in that size might require a re-mortgage of your house. Garnets are nice, but unless they are very light toned, they will darken considerably in sunlight. It''s tough having champagne tastes isn''t it ?
Yep.

Cellentani, did you check out paraibainternational for their rubellites? Some of them are on the expensive side, but they are gorgeous in the videos. He sells on ebay as well, and you can make offers there. I posted a beautiful square one in a pink color in Ryon''s "voting" thread. It''s not the coveted ruby red color, but it''s a gorgeous hot pink square step cut.
3.gif
Since it''s your anniversary coming up, perhaps you do want to divulge a bit more on something special. This stone is around $800, but you can make offers.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Was Barry''s rubellite heat treated? He already took the listing down so I can''t check.

TL:
The ones on parabiainternational seems to be heat treated. Does all rubellites have this treatment?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
TL - I did see that square rubellite, and I loved the color. I''m starting to think that I don''t want the ruby red color anymore, but maybe something a bit lighter. I''ve been in contact with Barry and Gene this afternoon, and they''ve both been extremely nice and gracious. In fact, Gene even said he''d cut something for me after I showed him babyblue''s umbalite. I''m going to investigate paraibainternational for more possibilities....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 7:44:28 PM
Author: Lovinggems
Was Barry''s rubellite heat treated? He already took the listing down so I can''t check.

TL:
The ones on parabiainternational seems to be heat treated. Does all rubellites have this treatment?
Thanks LovingGems,
I didn''t see that, so please check out the possible treatment. I would not want a heat treated rubellite (good chance it''s irradiated as well).

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 9:47:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL:
Thanks LovingGems,
I didn''t see that, so please check out the possible treatment. I would not want a heat treated rubellite (good chance it''s irradiated as well).
Thanks for answering TL. I have one more question, will treatment only change the colour of the stone, how about the inclusions?

Cell- sorry for the threadjack.
emembarrassed.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 9:55:17 PM

Date: 5/29/2009 9:47:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL:
Thanks LovingGems,
Thanks for answering TL. I have one more question, will treatment only change the colour of the stone, how about the inclusions?

Cell- sorry for the threadjack.
emembarrassed.gif
Threadjack away, Lovinggems! I always find this kind of stuff really interesting. I don''t know if Barry''s stone was treated - I''ll have to ask him. But heat treatment isn''t necessarily bad, and it''s not in the same catagory as irradiation, right (as long as it''s disclosed)?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most stones go almost black in direct bright sunlight, especially a round design. Those standard round brilliant cuts do suffer from extinction. Daylight in the shade, or away from direct sunlight is the preferred light when evaluating a stone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:30:18 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Most stones go almost black in direct bright sunlight, especially a round design. Those standard round brilliant cuts do suffer from extinction. Daylight in the shade, or away from direct sunlight is the preferred light when evaluating a stone.
Nice to see you, Gene. In your expert opinion, which cut performs the best in varied lighting, with the least amount of extinction?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 10:30:05 PM
Threadjack away, Lovinggems! I always find this kind of stuff really interesting. I don''t know if Barry''s stone was treated - I''ll have to ask him. But heat treatment isn''t necessarily bad, and it''s not in the same catagory as irradiation, right (as long as it''s disclosed)?
Cellentani,
I don''t think Barry''s stone is treated, but the ParaibaInternational ones mention heat treatment. What sometimes happens is that the stone is first heat treated to get it colorless, and then irradiated to turn it hot pink. When buying a rubellite, make sure it hasn''t undergone this treatment process. Some dealers will only mention the "heating" part because irradiation sounds too scary and intense a treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 10:30:18 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
That''s so funny because I actually love my stones (rounds included) in direct sunlight, even though Michael E and Gene say it''s not the best light to view gems. The color explodes when the sun hits them. I took a picture of them full face on in the sun, and it was cool!!

I must have weird gems.
emcrook.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results