shape
carat
color
clarity

buyers remorse on pink tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 12:41:11 AM
Author: karee888

Date: 5/30/2009 12:28:53 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Question? Does Dan cut all the stones, or does his wife cut some as well? Some look distinctly like one cutter, and others look like another.
they both cut them.
Do you think Dan might be more expert at cutting than his wife, or vice versa? If I''m buying a cut stone, I want to know who is cutting it, so if I like their cutting style, I will use that information to buy the stone. They don''t mention which peson cut each stone on the website, and that kind of bugs me. For example, there''s a very shallow cut pear shaped amethyst on his website right now, and I''ve noticed that many of the stones are cut like this, with a too shallow pavillion, wrong cutting angles (as in Chicago''s tourmaline). I suspect one of them is not using the proper cutting angles for the stones. The square shaped tourmaline above appears to be more expertly cut and uses more proper pavillion angles.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question? Does Dan cut all the stones, or does his wife cut some as well? Some look distinctly like one cutter, and others look like another.
I believe his wife has been cutting some as well. She cut one I inquired about it.

Chicago, I have buyers remorse all the time. I love things at first then start noticing things I don''t like or worry I can find something better. I am BAD about that. For what it''s worth, I do think this is a lovely stone and a great color. But if you don''t like it loose you won''t probably like it any better in a piece of jewelry.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:46:23 AM
Date: 5/30/2009 12:41:11 AM

Author: karee888

they both cut them.

Do you think Dan might be more expert at cutting than his wife, or vice versa? If I''m buying a cut stone, I want to know who is cutting it, so if I like their cutting style, I will use that information to buy the stone. They don''t mention which peson cut each stone on the website, and that kind of bugs me. For example, there''s a very shallow cut pear shaped amethyst on his website right now, and I''ve noticed that many of the stones are cut like this, with a too shallow pavillion, wrong cutting angles (as in Chicago''s tourmaline). I suspect one of them is not using the proper cutting angles for the stones. The square shaped tourmaline above appears to be more expertly cut and uses more proper pavillion angles.
hmm. well, i think two of the stones i have from him, she cut...and i love them both and they look fantastic. so, i''m not sure how to answer your question.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:07:33 AM
Author: blinkydoll
I had inquired about this stone last week!!! It never said sold and I had e-mailed him about buying it---and he said it was sold--and it was never posted :(

I''m so sorry you are disappointed with it.
7.gif

If it were back on his site-- I would def get it.

Sounds like a solution - Chicago, sell blinkydoll your stone - get her to paypal you the money, then send it to her.

Still waiting for Dan to get the stone I sent back, and waiting to see whether I''ll get charged the 10% restock fee.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chicago - I recommend diamondbistro. A lot of PSers browse there (use your PS name so we can recognize you!).

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lady Disdain & Magenta thanks for the tip. I woke up this morning and realized this is so not the gem for me and so it''s on Bistro as I type. Luckily I already have established feedback there under a different username and I listed it at a discount hoping for a quick sale. As soon as this is gone I''m ready to focus my energy on setting my stones from Barry
1.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think we should do this more often, recycling gems among us
9.gif
I know we all have stones that we''re not quite in love with, but I''m sure there are others who''ll love them. I also know of a few stones PSers bought, that if they were ever to consider selling them for whatever reason I would love to be the first in line!
30.gif

Chicago, I know what you mean about not loving the faceting. I have a small round blue spinel I got for a stacking ring but for some reason the cut of it was really "blah" to me. I didn''t return it because I did love the color and it was an inexpensive stone but it''s been sitting in my gembox, unset, for some time now. I think it''s definitely a personal preference.

Good luck with the sale! I hope someone else will find this stone just what they were looking for
1.gif

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Babyblue and I''m sorry to hear you''re stuck w/something that didn''t thrill you as well. Speaking of Spinels...if I hadn''t bought this stone from Dan I could have bought that luscious blue spinel round on Barry''s site. It''s been haunting me for days, I keep clicking on it hoping to see it marked as sold so I can be put out of my misery!
39.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that color you have, love the color shift that it goes to the mauvy color. its just beautiful. I know what you mean though... if you do have it on ebay,,, I''m sure we''ll find it somehow
2.gif
but making a pendant would be a lovely ideal... I''m all for bezeling... I''m in the pink mood lately so this is such a yummy stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The idea that cutters have distinct styles is really interesting to me and I think it''s only true in a very limited sense. The reason that I say this is that "styles" in cutting only exist up to the point that you pick a cut diagram for that style and then follow it''s directions. I just looked up the listings for round cut styles in Datavue, (a compilation of cut styles and associated diagrams), and there are 618 distinct round cut styles listed. This about covers anything that anyone could imagine in a more common round cut style. The point that I''m trying to make is that any cutter can cut to any style that you''d like and if you have a preference you should just ask the cutter who you like dealing with if they can cut you something in your preferred style.

As for some cutters being better than others, not really. The telling point between a professional and less experienced cutter is in the time it takes them to get a well finished stone out of the rough, (and perhaps less of a loss in weight for a more experienced cutter). The end result, however, will be the same from both cutters, assuming they are cutting to the same pattern. To focus on the stones that one cutter posts on their site in preference to another, (based on an a cutting style which they can change to suit you), reduces your opportunity to get the stone that you REALLY want, since every cutter has a different "box of rocks" to choose from.

If you really feel badly about the stone you bought Chicago, then I would suggest bringing it up with the cutter and see if they will swing you a deal...as in either re-cutting it to your preferences or making a trade for something else which appeals to you more. For most cutters it''s not just a matter of making and keeping a sale, but also of having a customer who is happy with their purchase.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Michael I appreciate your feedback and truly admire your cutting style. We've done business before and the prettiest sapphire cushion I've seen/owned to date was cut by you a few years ago
2.gif
I would feel bad about approaching Dan at this point for a refund, the gem was relatively inexpensive and teh restocking fee isn't an issue I just feel that buyer's remorse isn't much of a justification to return something after 2wks. Unfortunately there isn't anything up on his website at this moment that appeals to me as I was really looking for a pink stone at this time.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 11:19:50 AM
Author: Chicago
Michael I appreciate your feedback and truly admire your cutting style. We''ve done business before and the prettiest sapphire cushion I''ve seen/owned to date was cut by you a few years ago
2.gif
I would feel bad about approaching Dan at this point for a refund, the gem was relatively inexpensive and teh restocking fee isn''t an issue I just feel that buyer''s remorse isn''t much of a justification to return something after 2wks. Unfortunately there isn''t anything up on his website at this moment that appeals to me as I was really looking for a pink stone at this time.
even if he doesn''t have anything, i''m sure he''d be willing to cut you something. i assume he''s got some pink rough laying around somewhere. ;-) what''s the worst he can say - no? :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think someone on Bistro will want it. Or you could always hang onto it as a specimen.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/30/2009 11:19:50 AM
Author: Chicago
Unfortunately there isn''t anything up on his website at this moment that appeals to me as I was really looking for a pink stone at this time.

Thanks for the kind comment Chicago. As for not having anything on his website....well I can''t speak for him, but if he''s like me he probably has 20 times more stuff floating around his shop than he has on his site. It never hurts to ask !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is perfect; no stone is unloved. One person''s "trash" is another''s treasure. Not that I''d call any gemstone trash. I like the idea of swapping stones among PSers.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I hope it sells quickly so you have the cash to move on.

And what blue spinel on Barry''s site are you talking about? The only one I''ve seen looks very dark. But maybe that''s just ''cause you have different likes than I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results