shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the 0.56ct is nice- bear in mind these are EGL certified and so are likely to be a bit lower in colour and clarity in actual fact.

Also note that the video of the stones above shows examples of top cut OEC and MRB.

Personally I prefer the halo without stones on the shoulders- easier to wear and less concern about the small diamonds coming loose or needing repair in the future!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to know! But is there any point to spend $1149 to EOC if I can get nice MRB with that price also?
Well, not exactly.. I would ask the seller to send you a video of the OEC along with the T&Co. for example MRB and see which one you (and maybe even she) like better. It is just a personal choice.
Also, contrary to what other people say, if she likes diamonds on shank (which yes, based on her inspiration ring), then please don't get her a ring with plain shank, she won't love it as much.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that G OEC. From your girlfriends reaction, I think she will love it. I'm glad Ilya can make the setting you want for it! Keep us posted!

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Well, not exactly.. I would ask the seller to send you a video of the OEC along with the T&Co. for example MRB and see which one you (and maybe even she) like better. It is just a personal choice.
Also, contrary to what other people say, if she likes diamonds on shank (which yes, based on her inspiration ring), then please don't get her a ring with plain shank, she won't love it as much.

Message sent to Ilya if he can provide me video, where is both t&co and OEC so I can see which one is better!

Meanwhile IDJ contacted about Stuller setting.

"Stuller in 14KT White Gold for 4.8mm center F-G color SI clarity diamonds size 5.5 US will be $750.00. The diamonds will be set by our gemologist who will hand-select each diamond."

And per this quote according to IDJ center stone have to be 0.35ct-0.37ct round

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ask them to drop the colour to H or even I, you could get a slightly larger stone, if that's what you'd like?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Message sent to Ilya if he can provide me video, where is both t&co and OEC so I can see which one is better!

Meanwhile IDJ contacted about Stuller setting.

"Stuller in 14KT White Gold for 4.8mm center F-G color SI clarity diamonds size 5.5 US will be $750.00. The diamonds will be set by our gemologist who will hand-select each diamond."

This is a good option as well! I would ask them for anything in the 0.5ct or so range that would be I/J and eye-clean $1100-$1200.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * Meanwhile IDJ contacted about Stuller setting.

I think IDJ's specifications are based on a lower budget than the almost $2000 you're now considering spending on the halo ring, with pave in the shank, from Ilya, right? So for a more accurate shopping comparison, ask IDJ how much much more "bang for your bucks" you could get with the increased budget.

Also, get more particulars from Ilya: what kind of melee he would use & the total number of stones, what the dram/gram weight of the gold mounting alone -- before any diamonds are set -- would be, and all pertinent mm measurements of the mounting. That way, you'll be better able to compare his proposal with the Stuller setting & IDJ. And ask Ilya for a couple of pics of ring you could expect to get from him (probably will be CAD-generated since I didn't see anything in my spin through his web sites that mirrors what you'd like him to do), showing proportion of stone to halo & the profile view.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I think IDJ's specifications are based on a lower budget than the almost $2000 you're now considering spending on the halo ring, with pave in the shank, from Ilya, right? So for a more accurate shopping comparison, ask IDJ how much much more "bang for your bucks" you could get with the increased budget.

Also, get more particulars from Ilya: what kind of melee he would use & the total number of stones, what the dram/gram weight of the gold mounting alone -- before any diamonds are set -- would be, and all pertinent mm measurements of the mounting. That way, you'll be better able to compare his proposal with the Stuller setting & IDJ. And ask Ilya for a couple of pics of ring you could expect to get from him (probably will be CAD-generated since I didn't see anything in my spin through his web sites that mirrors what you'd like him to do), showing proportion of stone to halo & the profile view.

Thank you, shipping fees from idj was $120 and from ilya $35. I think idj shipping have better insurance or something

I have informed Idj last time that my budget can be 1500-1800$.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, shipping fees from idj was $120 and from ilya $35. I think idj shipping have better insurance or something

I have informed Idj last time that my budget can be 1500-1800$.

IDJ ships FedEx . They also have beautiful melee

But I am also curious to see the video of the OEC next to the MRB.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave him a link to my ideal ring

http://m.tiffany.com/engagement/rin...wPaged-c+-s+-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+-lr+-hr+

Got answer:

"We can absolutely make it like that photo. The cost would be $200 additional ($1935 with shipping). It would be custom made specifically for that stone. It would be made in 14k white gold."

Do you think its a good deal? Still havent seen any video or different photos of that stone.

Yes, this is a good deal. If your FF said this was her dream ring, then by all means MAKE IT HAPPEN... she's said she loves the old cuts, so put that in it. It's a great deal and will look very nice. After seeing the video of the OEC (and you're happy with it) then I'd say it's time to pull the trigger. She will be over the moon and very appreciative of all the thought and "detective work" you put into making sure she'd love her engagement ring. Kudos to you, OP!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So two choices:

0.67ct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-67ct-VINTAGE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-DIAMOND-G-SI2-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-LOOSE-ANTIQUE-/152610896099?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=QEUxE2PGYmpnfvRLS9Aw6BF4lTo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and

0.56ct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900s-G-VS2...RT-1-2ct-ROUND-LOOSE-/152614066578?rmvSB=true

Bigger one got more ct which I like but difference between clarity grade SI2--VS2 and with polish good to very good.

Can I see the difference with clarity grade and polish between these rocks?
I asked Ilya if its eye clean and lively.

Although a bit smaller, I have to agree with the others that the G/VS2 OEC has the nicer faceting (as well as being whiter and cleaner than the larger stone). Once you put a halo around it, you will have much more finder coverage.

I'm really excited for you, D maklen!! Your girlfriend is one lucky lady!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the 0.56 ct G/VS2 OEC is 5.25 mm, I did a little mockup of what a 1.4-1.5 mm halo would add to the overall look on a size 5 finger. (1.5 mm halo adds 3 mm extra finger coverage, bringing it to 8.25mm+ !!) The width of the halo isn't perfectly to scale (it may add even more coverage in real life), but the stone is... Hopefully, this will help you visualize what the size of the finished ring will be like on her finger. :)

5.25 without halo vs. with approx. 1.4-1.5 mm halo (both on size 5 finger)
5.25 mm without halo vs. with 1.5 mm halo.jpg
As you can tell, this is a very nice size!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Nice to know! But is there any point to spend $1149 to EOC if I can get nice MRB with that price also?

I think this will be a matter of your personal preference. In my opinion, for all it's worth, here are the options I think you have:

1. Go with one of the old cuts from Ilya, save yourself some time and trouble,
Pro: One stop shopping, done. Con: maybe not exactly what she's expecting. Her reaction could go either way.

2. Go with one of the mrb's from Ilya. They're clean, white and they'll look alright, and they're at the same price point as the oec. Pro: Also one stop shopping, easy peasy. Con: a diamond that is just "meh" instead of wow.

3. Find a nicely cut, pricescope-standard mrb through another vendor at the same price point as the old cut you're considering right now. Con: little more time and effort on your part. With our help, of course. Pro: a wow diamond instead of just "meh". The other consideration here is whether Ilya will add on a setting fee to the ring cost if you don't source the diamond through him. I don't think his setting fee is super high, so this might not even be an issue. But you could ask.

Again, imho - if neither of you feels strongly about oecs, and it sounds like that's the case, I wouldn't pursue the oec option. A diamond's cut quality (I don't mean oec vs mrb, I mean "excellent" cut grade vs "good" cut grade) is the #1 thing that will make an engagement ring look amazing over just average, and option #3 is the way "I" would go. Again, for what that's worth:)

It sounds like you have half the ring figured out - the setting, so why not focus on the diamond now and see how amazing you can make that? :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
!
I think this will be a matter of your personal preference. In my opinion, for all it's worth, here are the options I think you have:

1. Go with one of the old cuts from Ilya, save yourself some time and trouble,
Pro: One stop shopping, done. Con: maybe not exactly what she's expecting. Her reaction could go either way.

I agree... but we know the OP did show her the videos and she said she liked both... and that he could choose.

"For OEC she said when I told her that those are old diamonds and old cutting style she was impressed... Her opinion was that it brings some kind of dignity to diamond when it have old history."

2. Go with one of the mrb's from Ilya. They're clean, white and they'll look alright, and they're at the same price point as the oec. Pro: Also one stop shopping, easy peasy. Con: a diamond that is just "meh" instead of wow.

Also agree here. The only way I'd go with an MRB from Ilya is if it were nicely cut, the specs were at least as good (white/clean), and if it were at least the same size (or larger) than the OEC. That may be a tall order.

Regardless of which cut he chooses, I would still go with Ilya for both setting and diamond -- for ease, if anything else.

3. Find a nicely cut, pricescope-standard mrb through another vendor at the same price point as the old cut you're considering right now. Con: little more time and effort on your part. With our help, of course. Pro: a wow diamond instead of just "meh". The other consideration here is whether Ilya will add on a setting fee to the ring cost if you don't source the diamond through him. I don't think his setting fee is super high, so this might not even be an issue. But you could ask.

Most vendors give better deals if you use them for the diamond and the setting. IMO, sticking with one vendor is going to be the best bet for the OP -- in regards to ease AND cost.

Again, imho - if neither of you feels strongly about oecs, and it sounds like that's the case, I wouldn't pursue the oec option. A diamond's cut quality (I don't mean oec vs mrb, I mean "excellent" cut grade vs "good" cut grade) is the #1 thing that will make an engagement ring look amazing over just average, and option #3 is the way "I" would go. Again, for what that's worth:)

Even though it looks good in the photo, I would still want to see a video of the OEC to make sure the faceting is indeed as nice as it looks.

It sounds like you have half the ring figured out - the setting, so why not focus on the diamond now and see how amazing you can make that? :appl:

I'm glad to see you've found a setting you know your FF will love, so now it's just deciding on a center stone. If you decide against the OEC for whatever reason, I would still have Ilya try to find you a modern round cut diamond. If that falls through, then a diamond from another vendor is obviously the next option -- just know that it may cost a little more with two vendors.

Good options from @Steahl

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Msop4 - agree with your points, I guess to me it seems like his gf's reaction to the oec felt like a cool novelty factor, maybe not necessarily love? Also, the op then asking why he couldn't just get an mrb for the same $ confirmed that for me...

I think the OP could ask Ilya if there would be a change in the quote if sourcing his own diamond and go from there! If of course he's up to putting in the extra effort required. Agreed it would be much easier to have Ilya put it all together, just maybe not as nice in the end. So many things to consider, I know of course what I would do, but I'm not the OP!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Msop4 - agree with your points, I guess to me it seems like his gf's reaction to the oec felt like a cool novelty factor, maybe not necessarily love? Also, the op then asking why he couldn't just get an mrb for the same $ confirmed that for me...

I think the OP could ask Ilya if there would be a change in the quote if sourcing his own diamond and go from there! If of course he's up to putting in the extra effort required. Agreed it would be much easier to have Ilya put it all together, just maybe not as nice in the end. So many things to consider, I know of course what I would do, but I'm not the OP!

All true... I'd just want to make sure he wasn't sacrificing in cut quality or size. I'd also want to make sure it was white and clean.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
can i just say i loveeeeeee this thread, a perfect example of what PS is all about

that is all.

SO excited for you D Maklen, and how much effort you are putting into finding something lovely for you soon to be wifey!

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Ilya answer that EOC G stone is white, clean and very lively and he send the renderings before they manufacture to show me how the desing will look like from all angles. I attached photos to him that tiffany soleste ring type of halo so they going to do a look a like soleste :)

Also asked other stones what he got to offer. He linked comparable stones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIFI...T-1-2-CARAT-/152619258019?hash=item2388d110a3

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-H-VVS2-...IFIED-LOOSE-/172775399533?hash=item283a37606d

Also asked again for video but not received :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ilya answer that EOC G stone is white, clean and very lively and he send the renderings before they manufacture to show me how the desing will look like from all angles. I attached photos to him that tiffany soleste ring type of halo so they going to do a look a like soleste :)

Also asked other stones what he got to offer. He linked comparable stones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIFI...T-1-2-CARAT-/152619258019?hash=item2388d110a3

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-H-VVS2-...IFIED-LOOSE-/172775399533?hash=item283a37606d

Also asked again for video but not received :(

A big NO on both those stones due to only Very Good cut grade... and they're a lot smaller. NOPE.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to see the Soleste-inspired renderings!

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Yes, we are half way there. Halo setting going to be that Soleste style. I informed Ilya that those stones wasnt good enough and I cant make decision about that EOC G based only for one picture.

Let see what he can do for me!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we are half way there. Halo setting going to be that Soleste style. I informed Ilya that those stones wasnt good enough and I cant make decision about that EOC G based only for one picture.

Let see what he can do for me!

Sounds, good, D! Hopefully, Ilya will get a video to you very soon! :)

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Agreed it would be much easier to have Ilya put it all together, just maybe not as nice in the end.

What do you mean by this? If Ilya put everything together is there something that can lead to undesirable result?

Steahl

Rough_Rock
What do you mean by this? If Ilya put everything together is there something that can lead to undesirable result?
Not at all, I just mean if you stick to his diamond inventory you may be missing out on the best quality diamond you could get for your money. Currently he doesn't have any mrb's listed that would pass muster for recommended "pricescope quality". That's why I have been recommending sourcing a diamond through another vendor like b2cjewels, or yadav (spelling?) or IDJ and having Ilya set it in the custom halo. If you go the MRB route, instead of the OEC.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all, I just mean if you stick to his diamond inventory you may be missing out on the best quality diamond you could get for your money. Currently he doesn't have any mrb's listed that would pass muster for recommended "pricescope quality". That's why I have been recommending sourcing a diamond through another vendor like b2cjewels, or yadav (spelling?) or IDJ and having Ilya set it in the custom halo. If you go the MRB route, instead of the OEC.

This. Those modern rounds weren't good at all. Wait on the video for the old cut. It could be a winner...

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
can i just say i loveeeeeee this thread, a perfect example of what PS is all about

that is all.

SO excited for you D Maklen, and how much effort you are putting into finding something lovely for you soon to be wifey!

Thank you for your kind words!

Well, when I registered here and made my first post. I didnt excpect that engagement ring purchase would be this much "work" :) But least she cant tell me that I didnt try. Maybe this thread is still alive in future so I can come back and think back all this.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words!

Well, when I registered here and made my first post. I didnt excpect that engagement ring purchase would be this much "work" :) But least she cant tell me that I didnt try. Maybe this thread is still alive in future so I can come back and think back all this.

D maklen, you are going above and beyond to get this lady her dream ring -- I'd say she's a lucky gal!

D maklen

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for clarification.
My plan is now that I wait for that EOC details (photos, video) and ask here to do check for it. If its good Ill take it!
But if not...then I wait what Ilya can provide me (maybe he find somewhere very nice MRB)

But if not then we have to do "hard" way. Look for somewhere else and ask if they ship to Ilya and if thats ok with him.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
My plan is now that I wait for that EOC details (photos, video) and ask here to do check for it. If its good Ill take it!
But if not...then I wait what Ilya can provide me (maybe he find somewhere very nice MRB)

But if not then we have to do "hard" way. Look for somewhere else and ask if they ship to Ilya and if thats ok with him.
Good plan!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have a very good attitude, D... just take it one step at a time. Also, using another vendor to find a modern stone isn't the end of the world (if it does indeed come to that). #onestepatatime

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results