shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Lot of options after options and i'm very grateful for this support this forum has provide me!
I never thought that this would be so hard to make a decision.

Steahls link http://www.b2cjewels.com/1/asaj0497/halo-cathedral-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold
which leaves 1000$ for diamond is it big difference than buying for example this setting http://www.b2cjewels.com/1/asab1221/round-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold and leaves just about 650$ for diamond.

From IDJ I havent heard anything for that stuller set up prices.

I think I want to go easy as it can be. Buy for one seller all. Its already little bit stressfull to order from online and specially from out of europe because of customs etc. Or its just that im very tired to make my mind up :D

For that Ilya linked halo setting I 'm not so sure about it. Yes its halo but looks maybe too old vintage style. And still dont know how would that EOC diamond looks.

and for dollyanjuli I dont think its necessery. Sounds too complicated. As you can see I dont manage to buy simple ring with diamond :)

Hope I dont sound too negative its just when you feel like nothing is going further, or I think I lost my direction in some point.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol you know her that well soxfan?

Seems like a big halo that could fit that stone you were considering.

Just trying to help:wavey:

Based on all the feedback about what she won't like according to the OP, I don't think it would work. I know you are just trying to help, we all are.....

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Depending on your girlfriend's finger size, you might not see a lot of the pave on the band anyway (and sometimes they aren't that comfortable to have between fingers)

This one! Never thought about it. How it feels if there is pave on the band. Is it really uncomfortable?

Steahl

Rough_Rock
IMG_2133.PNG D maklen - $650 gives you a 0.45ct (5mm range), $1000 gets you to about 0.55 (5.3-5.4mm range). On a size 6.5 finger, the difference looks about like this:

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
IMG_2133.PNG D maklen - $650 gives you a 0.45ct (5mm range), $1000 gets you to about 0.55 (5.3-5.4mm range). On a size 6.5 finger, the difference looks about like this:

Right one is much better looking! And her size is 5. Thank you! This is what I need when im trying behind computer to solve things how would it look in actually.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
No problem!

If you're ready to go ahead with one of those settings you liked, I would next recommend emailing [email protected] and telling them your budget based on which style you choose, and the specs below, and see what they come up with. Make sure the diamonds they suggest come with GIA/AGS certs.

J color or better
SI1 or better
Excellent cut
Very good polish/symmetry (or better)

Overall, if you are starting to feel overwhelmed by your search, why don't you take 1-2 days and come back to it? Give you a chance to clear your head and reevaluate. ETA for having the ring ready to ship to you is about a week as per the site, which shouldn't hurt your mid August proposal timeline...

Steahl

Rough_Rock

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Ilya is the bees knees! That setting looks beautiful

Just wondering how would it look like with that OEC diamond? I think in that picture there is MRB ring. And I asked how much more have to pay, if he add diamonds to shank.

This is exciting

Last edited:

Steahl

Rough_Rock
View attachment 503159 About like this: (but smaller, and that G SI2 will look whiter)
Sorry for the massive upload. No idea how to make it smaller... Ring credit goes to bunnycat I believe? I just quickly pulled this off of google.

Has he sent you a video of the OEC?

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Hmm seems that upload isn't coming through...

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Excited to see what you do! Please do post the video when he sends it! I personally think an oec will look lovely in that new setting, but it'll be up to you whether you think your gf will like it. I know Ilya carries a few modern cuts as well, he will likely be able to help you no matter which direction you go, OEC or MRB. Curious, is that setting in platinum or white gold? Is that a stock setting he carries, or will that be custom made for you, any idea? I actually asked one of his assistants about a setting similar to that recently and never got an answer so I'm curious!:)

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Excited to see what you do! Please do post the video when he sends it! I personally think an oec will look lovely in that new setting, but it'll be up to you whether you think your gf will like it. I know Ilya carries a few modern cuts as well, he will likely be able to help you no matter which direction you go, OEC or MRB. Curious, is that setting in platinum or white gold? Is that a stock setting he carries, or will that be custom made for you, any idea? I actually asked one of his assistants about a setting similar to that recently and never got an answer so I'm curious!:)

I gave him a link to my ideal ring

http://m.tiffany.com/engagement/rin...wPaged-c+-s+-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+-lr+-hr+

Got answer:

"We can absolutely make it like that photo. The cost would be $200 additional ($1935 with shipping). It would be custom made specifically for that stone. It would be made in 14k white gold."

Do you think its a good deal? Still havent seen any video or different photos of that stone.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
So if I'm doing the math right it sounds like it's about $750 to make a full pave halo...which, yes, that is a very good deal. Are you ok upping your budget to $1900?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Now I need all your backup with this one, because im ready to pull the trigger again :)

Def I need to see video or something from that stone?

Now all you Steahl msop04 soxfan ccuheartnurse niel mollymalone jddn arkieb1 simonedi snowdrop13 rockysalamander and other viewers tell me your opinion what should I take into consideration or ask about more?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
So if I'm doing the math right it sounds like it's about $750 to make a full pave halo...which, yes, that is a very good deal. Are you ok upping your budget to $1900?

Yes, I think we are on the same track with price. Budget got little bit over the limits but its ok if this is good one.

Steahl

Rough_Rock

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Now I need all your backup with this one, because im ready to pull the trigger again :)

Def I need to see video or something from that stone?

Now all you Steahl msop04 soxfan ccuheartnurse niel mollymalone jddn arkieb1 simonedi snowdrop13 rockysalamander and other viewers tell me your opinion what should I take into consideration or ask about more?
I still recommend seeing a video of the stone, yep. Really make sure an OEC is for you. Plenty of folks on here love old cuts (myself included) and would take that diamond in a heartbeat, but it will be different than what she's likely used to. So I would make sure.

eta - Ask Ilya if it's eye clean and lively. Those are the 2 big things I would worry about, and you can really only judge those with your eyes, not by its' cert.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the two old cuts suggested, I definitely prefer the 0.56 G VS2: http://m.ebay.com/itm/152614066578?_mwBanner=1

However, once again, old cuts are not for everyone, not every single person can appreciate them. Most likely, your gf doesn't know much about them, but perhaps you can show her a pic/video and ask her if she prefers a MRB or OEC. Here is a video for you:

The halo price of $750 is good, but I can't speak of quality. I never bought from the vendor.
Here is another MRB stone in his inventory - https://www.ebay.com/itm/172775399533 it is actually a T&Co. diamond and it has a pretty decent cut.

Also, are we sure that she doesn't like other shapes? Because I am loving this in-budget pear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152612340153
It will face up larger than the round. Inspiration: http://m-be.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/tiffany-soleste-pear-2264?tfr=1

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of getting them to source a decent modern round brilliant and putting it into either setting, I especially suspect the Tiffany copy will look what what she was wanting. People on here rave about old cuts and they are lovely but they are not for everyone especially someone who is not expecting one.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I showed her SimoneDI youtube video "August Vintage OEC or H&A Round".

It was hard to say which was her favourite both looked very beutiful according to her so she let me to decide.

For OEC she said when I told her that those are old diamonds and old cutting style she was impressed.

Her opinion was that it brings some kind of dignity to diamond when it have old history.

Last edited:

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
So two choices:

0.67ct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-67ct-VINTAGE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-DIAMOND-G-SI2-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-LOOSE-ANTIQUE-/152610896099?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=QEUxE2PGYmpnfvRLS9Aw6BF4lTo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and

0.56ct
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900s-G-VS2...RT-1-2ct-ROUND-LOOSE-/152614066578?rmvSB=true

Bigger one got more ct which I like but difference between clarity grade SI2--VS2 and with polish good to very good.

Can I see the difference with clarity grade and polish between these rocks?
I asked Ilya if its eye clean and lively.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's great she likes Antique diamonds now I feel like you can go ahead and know she will be happy. The cut of the .56 is a LOT nicer than the larger stone, which to my eyes is not eye clean. And cut makes a world of different to things like fire, sparkle and just the overall "look" of the diamond, so bigger is not always better.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
3.JPG

When you see them like this.

Smaller 0.56ct looks much "whiter" and more rounded.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like the 0.67 is no longer available, but as arkieb1 indicated, the 0.56 has a much nicer cut, nice flowery pattern, it is very appealing. Just know that they don't sparkle the same way as MRB, but if your gf likes them that's great. This diamond will not be cut with such precision as the AVR that you saw in the video, but it seems like a nice stone. Can you ask for s video of it?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
It seems like the 0.67 is no longer available, but as arkieb1 indicated, the 0.56 has a much nicer cut, nice flowery pattern, it is very appealing. Just know that they don't sparkle the same way as MRB, but if your gf likes them that's great. This diamond will not be cut with such precision as the AVR that you saw in the video, but it seems like a nice stone. Can you ask for s video of it?

Nice to know! But is there any point to spend $1149 to EOC if I can get nice MRB with that price also?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results