shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
ask him if he will do it all for $1500 total! The diamond I linked is absolutely stunning. If you can get that all for $1500, you did incredibly well.

Do you really mean that I would ask that much less? You dont think that would not insult him :)
diamond itself is 1149$ and he said halo WITHOUT diamonds on the shank is $650 so total is now 1800$.
Or did I miss something :) and I would like diamonds on the shank.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really mean that I would ask that much less? You dont think that would not insult him :)
diamond itself is 1149$ and he said halo WITHOUT diamonds on the shank is $650 so total is now 1800$.
Or did I miss something :) and I would like diamonds on the shank.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! So is he offering to make the same halo as the square but round???

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! So is he offering to make the same halo as the square but round???

You are right, I have nothing to loose :) we didnt talk anything about halo shapes yet.

Edit. sorry yes he said round halo for that diamond because I asked it :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. You do not want LOGR for an engagement ring. And I say this as someone who has a couple of relatively inexpensive colored gems set in LOGR mountings from 8-10 years ago when the consensus is, on the PS Colored Stones forum, the quality was more consistent, reliably better than has been true in recent years.
  • They are in China -- and that old cut diamond will require a custom basket, which will be an additional cost & will delay production and delivery.
  • Their stock diamond melee is pretty much "frozen spit" & the price jumps up quite a bit when you ask for upgraded melee.
  • That's a very thin, lightweight setting & will not withstand years of daily wear. That setting is also one where the melee diamonds are cast with the gold, not inset afterwards. So the melee diamonds can end up not sitting evenly, the ring won't appear nicely finished. Plus, those diamonds will consequently be much more susceptible to popping out (especially given the thinness -- width-wise and depth/thickness-wise -- of the shank).
I like my LOGR rings; they are fine for the purpose for which I purchased them. But even "back when", I would not have considered my LOGR rings (which are not as lightweight as the one suggested today) to be engagement ring-worthy.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know why but this LOGR site doesn´t really impress me. Looks like website designer got lost somewhere in 90´s and that halo setting looks kind of cheap :)

Your entire budget is $1500 for a diamond and a halo setting. Just trying to fit in your parameters. There a lot of PS'ers here who have settings from them. I don't. Just trying to give you other options that might be in your time frame and budget. Stick with my first suggestion and ask Ilya if he can do this at $1500 all in. If not, up your budget, because it's pretty slim for all your proclivities...

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Your entire budget is $1500 for a diamond and a halo setting. Just trying to fit in your parameters. There a lot of PS'ers here who have settings from them. I don't. Just trying to give you other options that might be in your time frame and budget. Stick with my first suggestion and ask Ilya if he can do this at $1500 all in. If not, up your budget, because it's pretty slim for all your proclivities...

I know and thank you for giving me other options. I emailed Ilya. I´ll update information when he get back to me.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know and thank you for giving me other options. I emailed Ilya. I´ll update information when he get back to me.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed and I'm so hoping this works out for you!!!

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Got answer from Ilya. He said that maybe he didnt replied last time with enough though. Best he can do is $1700 for all!!. Now I need really help. Never bought anything this pricey on EBAY! Can I trust this? How will I know that the halo setting is nice? Like Stuller and few other very professional sites had nice pictures and felt safe.

And what about stone itself. Only one picture which didnt tell me nothing (not surprise though)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which ring are you buying from Ilya?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got answer from Ilya. He said that maybe he didnt replied last time with enough though. Best he can do is $1700 for all!!. Now I need really help. Never bought anything this pricey on EBAY! Can I trust this? How will I know that the halo setting is nice? Like Stuller and few other very professional sites had nice pictures and felt safe.

And what about stone itself. Only one picture which didnt tell me nothing (not surprise though)

That G is incredible. I have a stone from Ilya and all I own are OEC's. That stone is stunning. Ask him for a video if you are unsure but the report and the macro pic check out to me. And I own 3 gorgeous OEC's. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That G is incredible. I have a stone from Ilya and all I own are OEC's. That stone is stunning. Ask him for a video if you are unsure but the report and the macro pic check out to me. And I own 3 gorgeous OEC's. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I don't know what you have bought on Ebay but for a custom halo setting with that stone for $1700- you are getting an amazing ring. Ilya is a trusted vendor and he has a return policy. I will wait for others to weigh in, but that stone is perfection for the price. I paid almost $2995 for my .9 OEC and it's an L. A G with this faceting? No brainer....

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what you have bought on Ebay but for a custom halo setting with that stone for $1700- you are getting an amazing ring. Ilya is a trusted vendor and he has a return policy. I will wait for others to weigh in, but that stone is perfection for the price. I paid almost $2995 for my .9 OEC and it's an L. A G with this faceting? No brainer....

I asked Ilya to provide video clip from that diamond. And asked about if he have some kind of example photos about halo settings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd ask Ilya if he can find a modern round for you. I love old cuts but your gf may not. I do agree, a lot of us gals like sparkly & big but if the right stone. I know in person I've had people stare at my OEC because it was so different. It wasn't a "normal" diamond. I would highly highly advise you find out if an old cut is something she would love to have. It might be a deal, but you have to find the right ring for her despite the deal. See if you can get that information from her. You need to check the old cut threads too as you don't know a lot about old cuts. If she loves old cuts, then I say go for it.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
According to this chart, that stone ranged 1-2 stone. If I compare EGL USA report details to that chart.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What chart?? Hca?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following this thread, super fun!

I hate to be debbie downer, but I'm with ccuheartnurse......I really wouldn't surprise someone with an OEC unless you knew for certain she likes OEC's. And even then....OEC's come in all different flavors. Many here (including me) love old cuts but in all the inspiration photos, she clearly likes Modern Round Brilliants. And by the likes of the Tiffany Soleste...I'd be focusing on the best cut Round Brilliant in a classic pave halo. I know that OEC is a 'good deal' but it doesn't really matter if it's not what your lady wants and/or likes. This ring is for her after all!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do both ask the people on the Internet/Ebay if they can source a half carat white well cut round brilliant to put in that setting for you at your budget of $1500 total and I would see what IDJ could do in a halo for you for that budget. I also linked people that make halos several posts over as well with the specific idea that perhaps you could buy a diamond send it to the UK and get setting made from one of the Etsy vendors as another option to pay less taxes.

Consider which settings look the best made and what size colour and clarity diamond you get from each, then make the decision.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the Tiffany Soleste is her dream ring, she probably wouldn't appreciate as much an old cut diamond. Antique cuts are not for everybody, especially not for someone who is after a modern brilliant..

D Maklen, please email Joey from IDJ and ask her what they have in the 0.5ct range (+\-), I-J color, SI1-2 and eyeclean. Also, ask her if they have any of the more affordable halo settings in stock that can fit such stone. They were once able to provide a friend of mine with an amazing halo setting for much under under 1k. If you up your budget to 2k-ish, you can probably get her her dream ring.

I would stop looking on eBay and concentrate on working with a more reputable vendor that can provide you with all the information, videos, etc. to put you at ease with this purchase.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Blue Nile off the table? I can't remember if I read anything about them not being a good option. I only searched the stones with the 360 vid. There might be some great options that don't have videos's but I think is easier for you to see the stone so to speak.

I- VS-1
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08560940

J, SI-1. Looks like the inclusions are white & the stone would be 100% eye clean.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08941201

This setting.. I like this one.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_60448?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

This one is pretty as well but less diamond weight than the Zac Posen one & this shank is thinner at 1.8.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...old_41946?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

Judy

I wonder now if the OP might be getting confused with all the different possible options. As far as I recall he lives in Finland which may mean that Blue Nile is a good option for a complete ring.

That Zac Posen setting above is $880 so maybe we could find him a $700 diamond to put in it?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I've been following this thread, super fun!

I hate to be debbie downer, but I'm with ccuheartnurse......I really wouldn't surprise someone with an OEC unless you knew for certain she likes OEC's. And even then....OEC's come in all different flavors. Many here (including me) love old cuts but in all the inspiration photos, she clearly likes Modern Round Brilliants. And by the likes of the Tiffany Soleste...I'd be focusing on the best cut Round Brilliant in a classic pave halo. I know that OEC is a 'good deal' but it doesn't really matter if it's not what your lady wants and/or likes. This ring is for her after all!

Thank you for participitation to this thread and your opinion. This thread already got over 6000 views (hope my future fiance isnt one of them )

Im now waiting for more picture and maybe some video footage from Ilya about that OEC stone and Im pretty sure if its her taste or not once I see it!

And also waiting from IDJ price for that Stuller unset ring where IDJ source all diamonds with center stone 0.33-0.4ct.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I wonder now if the OP might be getting confused with all the different possible options. As far as I recall he lives in Finland which may mean that Blue Nile is a good option for a complete ring.

That Zac Posen setting above is $880 so maybe we could find him a $700 diamond to put in it?

Yes, blue nile would be very good place to order because of tax free. But I guess bluenile.uk prices are not so competetive because the VAT is in the prices.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
If the Tiffany Soleste is her dream ring, she probably wouldn't appreciate as much an old cut diamond. Antique cuts are not for everybody, especially not for someone who is after a modern brilliant..

D Maklen, please email Joey from IDJ and ask her what they have in the 0.5ct range (+\-), I-J color, SI1-2 and eyeclean. Also, ask her if they have any of the more affordable halo settings in stock that can fit such stone. They were once able to provide a friend of mine with an amazing halo setting for much under under 1k. If you up your budget to 2k-ish, you can probably get her her dream ring.

I would stop looking on eBay and concentrate on working with a more reputable vendor that can provide you with all the information, videos, etc. to put you at ease with this purchase.

If that Stuller dont work out I will ask this! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results