shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear the Tiffany ring is gone :( but I'm sure in the end you'll end up with the perfect one. If you're feeling frustrated at this point, feel free to take a few days to settle down before you start your search again.

I just want to agree with MollyMalone above - please don't get her a solitaire. Since you asked her opinion, I think you should listen to it. She has made it so clear that she likes halos, and the last thing you want is for her to feel confused or disappointed when you present the ring to her. You only get to propose once, and she should get to enjoy those first few days/weeks/months with a ring she loves rather than a ring that's "halfway there" and needs to be "upgraded" later. Some people may not even like the idea of an upgrade, and sometimes life gets in the way (buying a house, having kids etc) and you may not be able to justify a frivolous cost such as upgrading a setting.

A quick side story: When my ex-husband proposed with a solitaire even though he knew I wanted a pave band, he told me he was afraid to have one custom made in case I didn't like it. So he had it set in a simple solitaire and the jeweller said we could go and swap out the setting right away for a custom one designed with my input. But once he proposed with that ring, I didn't want any other one and never did get the kind that I really wanted. I'm not bashing him and it wasn't a huge deal to me, but still, I didn't choose to "upgrade" because of the sentimental aspect of that being the actual ring he proposed with. I don't think most forum members here think that way, but in the real world it's common.

This is a forum about diamonds, so it's understandable that the members think the diamond is most important, but we should also keep in mind that to your girlfriend this is a "ring" as a whole, not just a "diamond." Not everyone needs the biggest diamond, some people are happier with a piece of jewelry they truly like, rather than a larger diamond with an overall look they don't adore. You should obviously aim to maximize the value you get for your budget, but not at the expense of the one guideline she gave you. You can still get a nice halo with a nice size diamond within your budget.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if I lost track. Did we discuss this ring?
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/dot-74-oec-in-halo
Yep, back on pg. 3 (before D indicated that his SO wouldn't be a fan of such an antique-looking ring). Niel recognized the setting & said she think it's unlikely to stand up to years of daily wear as an e-ring (i.e., more appropriate as an occasional ring). And I said I was wondering about the legitimacy of the LoupeTroop listing because Grace has the center stone listed, loose, on her web site:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/74ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-i1

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the halo Mollymalone found one page back looks great.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some other options;
Buy this have David Klass cut the centre out as is and put a white gold halo around the stone and bezel, or see if you can resell the setting and completely reset the diamond.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...sh-h-si1-diamond-18kt-rose-gold-ring-de-beers

Ask them if they still have this and put it into a halo;
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...cut-cornered-square-diamond-radiant-brilliant
My concern with asking David Klass to create something, arkie, is that he couldn't get the ring done in time; D wants to propose in just about 4 weeks. (There are at least several PSers who are waiting on DK to do CADs or move their projects to completion & I think we could safely bet those aren't the only customers already in the pipeline. DK was away at JCK and then was stricken ill after he returned home.)

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes on I'd jewelry they have 2 different diamond criss cross settings, one w .08 carat Halo, the other .10 carat Halo. And there was a .45 I V1 round diamond for I believe 800 dollars? I think that Combo would look very good.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I.d. jewelry

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D maklen, I spent some time trawling through the Stuller web site. We consumers can't purchase directly from Stuller because they sell only to those "in the trade." But IDJ can place an order for you; Stuller's settings are usually a good value: well made (mostly in the USA) and moderately priced. And they create and ship quickly.

See what you think of this #122793.
Stuller 122793.png Stuller 122793 enlarged view.jpg
It's available in a variety of metals, for a variety of shapes and sizes of center stone diamonds. It can be ordered as either a semi-mount (meaning the halo and shank diamonds are already set) or as a mount, so that IDJ would source and set all the diamonds. Stuller's standard melee (the small stones for the halo and shank) isn't all that great, but they will upgrade the melee. My guess is, however, that it would be better, in terms of both quality and price, for IDJ to provide the melee.

I'm thinking your almost-fiancée would like the "clean" lines & that the "surprise" diamonds -- the little bezeled diamonds on each side, underneath the halo, that you see in the first pic --are a nice touch.

I'd ask IDJ to give you price quotes for the 14K white gold, the 18K X1 white gold (this is a nice, very white alloy that only Stuller makes), and platinum #122793 with a .33 - .40 ct round stone of better than "mall store" cut quality.

FYI if the cut-cornered square that arkie previously linked appeals to you
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...cut-cornered-square-diamond-radiant-brilliant
the seller is Parks Fine Jewelry, which is on the same block in Manhattan's Diamond District as IDJ. So IDJ might be willing to take a look at it for you and handle the transaction if there is one; perhaps IDJ could borrow the stone long enough to take some pics (e.g., on the back of a hand) back in their shop 'cause Parks' photos are pretty bad.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm sorry about the Circlet ring, D. But it's great you're so quickly climbing back into the saddle again : - )

Since it appears from your latest post that you are now waffling, are considering the idea of getting a solitaire ring, let me encourage you to honor (despite the persistent opinions of some people here) your wife-to-be's strong preference for a halo'd ring.

Giving her a solitaire e-ring after she has said she would rather have a halo will suggest that you have decided what's best for her. Giving her a halo ring, though, will be a very tangible demonstration that her wishes matter to you, that she truly was heard -- and attentiveness, receptivity, not being dismissive of the other partner, are qualities that are really important in a relationship.

But I gotta say the particular GabrielNY ring that Joey is proposing doesn't grab me. I don't think it's very graceful & the rose gold accents are a distraction imo. Would you like us to suggest some other GabrielNY halo settings that are in the lower price range, so you would have specific names/numbers of settings to give Joey at IDJ for price quotes?

In the meantime, I found this just now. A 18K white gold, halo ring with GIA-graded .38 ct center stone: G color, VS2 clarity, XXX (cut, polish, symmetry); total carat weight: .66. US ring size 4.75. Listed at $1499.99; a reliable vendor (I've purchased from them) who will ship to Finland.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Eng...olitaire-w-Accents-Genuine-66ctw/391753668708

WilsonBrothers halo with GIA graded stone.jpg

I'm digging this option. It fits price, style, and ring size! Also I have bought from Wilson Brothers before and I like them.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is Blue Nile off the table? I can't remember if I read anything about them not being a good option. I only searched the stones with the 360 vid. There might be some great options that don't have videos's but I think is easier for you to see the stone so to speak.

I- VS-1
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08560940

J, SI-1. Looks like the inclusions are white & the stone would be 100% eye clean.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08941201

This setting.. I like this one.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_60448?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

This one is pretty as well but less diamond weight than the Zac Posen one & this shank is thinner at 1.8.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...old_41946?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

Judy

Last edited:

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I'm sorry about the Circlet ring, D. But it's great you're so quickly climbing back into the saddle again : - )

Since it appears from your latest post that you are now waffling, are considering the idea of getting a solitaire ring, let me encourage you to honor (despite the persistent opinions of some people here) your wife-to-be's strong preference for a halo'd ring.

Giving her a solitaire e-ring after she has said she would rather have a halo will suggest that you have decided what's best for her. Giving her a halo ring, though, will be a very tangible demonstration that her wishes matter to you, that she truly was heard -- and attentiveness, receptivity, not being dismissive of the other partner, are qualities that are really important in a relationship.

But I gotta say the particular GabrielNY ring that Joey is proposing doesn't grab me. I don't think it's very graceful & the rose gold accents are a distraction imo. Would you like us to suggest some other GabrielNY halo settings that are in the lower price range, so you would have specific names/numbers of settings to give Joey at IDJ for price quotes?

In the meantime, I found this just now. A 18K white gold, halo ring with GIA-graded .38 ct center stone: G color, VS2 clarity, XXX (cut, polish, symmetry); total carat weight: .66. US ring size 4.75. Listed at $1499.99; a reliable vendor (I've purchased from them) who will ship to Finland.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Eng...olitaire-w-Accents-Genuine-66ctw/391753668708

WilsonBrothers halo with GIA graded stone.jpg

I agree with you. I should respect her wishes and not start waffling around.

That is very good looking ring! Just the style im looking for! and quite big center diamond, considering my budget. One thing bothers me is that yellow mark on backside of ring. See picture!
And yes please suggest other gabriel&co rings if you find good ones.
Sieppaa.JPG

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
@D maklen, I spent some time trawling through the Stuller web site. We consumers can't purchase directly from Stuller because they sell only to those "in the trade." But IDJ can place an order for you; Stuller's settings are usually a good value: well made (mostly in the USA) and moderately priced. And they create and ship quickly.

See what you think of this #122793.
Stuller 122793.png Stuller 122793 enlarged view.jpg
It's available in a variety of metals, for a variety of shapes and sizes of center stone diamonds. It can be ordered as either a semi-mount (meaning the halo and shank diamonds are already set) or as a mount, so that IDJ would source and set all the diamonds. Stuller's standard melee (the small stones for the halo and shank) isn't all that great, but they will upgrade the melee. My guess is, however, that it would be better, in terms of both quality and price, for IDJ to provide the melee.

I'm thinking your almost-fiancée would like the "clean" lines & that the "surprise" diamonds -- the little bezeled diamonds on each side, underneath the halo, that you see in the first pic --are a nice touch.

I'd ask IDJ to give you price quotes for the 14K white gold, the 18K X1 white gold (this is a nice, very white alloy that only Stuller makes), and platinum #122793 with a .33 - .40 ct round stone of better than "mall store" cut quality.

FYI if the cut-cornered square that arkie previously linked appeals to you
the seller is Parks Fine Jewelry, which is on the same block in Manhattan's Diamond District as IDJ. So IDJ might be willing to take a look at it for you and handle the transaction if there is one; perhaps IDJ could borrow the stone long enough to take some pics (e.g., on the back of a hand) back in their shop 'cause Parks' photos are pretty bad.

Absolutely sounds too good to be true! I think im going to stick with this plan! As it sounds great plan. Stuller #122793 looks great. Its going to be new ring and no need for re-size. I think if this plan work like it sounds ill be more than happy!

How 18K X1 white is different than 18K white? If its only made by stuller and in future comes time that need to re-size ring would that material be so rare that I cant make re-size locally?

So next im going to mail to IDJ how they can proceed with this.

Or what other forum members like the idea? Is there something I should consider ordering from stuller?

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI -- the price of the Stuller setting shown in the eBay listing that ccuheartnurse linked above is not much more than the wholesale price the vendor pays to Stuller.

People shouldn't expect their local jeweler will charge them so much less than Stuller's suggested retail price, especially if you're not purchasing the main stone(s) from the jeweler. I lucked out: my neighborhood jeweler (now retired) would charge me just a little bit above the wholesale price for the Stuller mountings I wanted for some colored gems I brought him, but that's not par for the course.

Still, if you live within a convenient distance of more than one retail jeweler, it can definitely be worthwhile to shop around, get price quotes from each one; the mark-up can vary quite a bit.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with MollyMalone re: checking with local jewellers for Stuller pricing. I'm lucky as well because the jeweller I deal with locally has very fair pricing.

The price for the I stone at BN is a good one. If you want ease of mind, I would purchase it & shop for the setting. Too bad BN didn't have more under $1000 options to choose from. I do like the Zac Posen ring if you were to go with BN & have the entire package sealed signed & delivered. All would be insured, they would set it, & if by some wild chance, she doesn't like it, wild chance she wont, you can return it as they have a generous return policy. You don't have a lot of time as I think you want to propose quite soon.

See what IDJ has to offer you. I would stick with IDJ as they have closer personal customer service thank B2C but I found some options on their search. In the meantime, it wont hurt to put the 2 stones from BN on a 48 hr till you decide.

Here are some styles I found on B2cjewels. Perhaps IDJ can get the same ones.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/design-your-own-ring

Here is a search for stones under $600.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/diamond-search

Or, buy the stone & the ring from separate vendors & have a local jeweller set it. I can't imagine it cost a lot but ask.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I have now sent email to idj about stuller setting and if they can source diamonds and input all diamonds and search for a 0.32-0.40ct center stone.

Let see first how much its going to be.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I CAN'T LIKE THIS ENOUGH!! ...seriously, I saw this and about DIED because it's soooo perfect!!

D, I think sox is onto something with this combination -- the stone will be SO MUCH LARGER than anything others have found so far. It will be white (and eye clean at that size). The setting is lovely, but EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SETTING, I'd still highly recommend you go with that 0.67 ct diamond! At 5.77 mm, it's going to have MUCH more presence than the others!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... I keep thinking about sox's suggestion, and I think you should go for it! Reputable vendor to boot!

...and they can size it for you.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking that setting is too vintage-y for her tastes. And because not everybody is enthusiastic about old cuts (my niece, for one, really dislikes them, including the contemporary versions she viewed in person at GOG), think it's really important that D's SO has seen such diamonds & expressed a wish to have one for herself before D makes that kind of diamond purchase

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking that setting is too vintage-y for her tastes. And because not everybody is enthusiastic about old cuts (my niece, for one, really dislikes them, including the contemporary versions she viewed in person at GOG), think it's really important that D's SO has seen such diamonds & expressed a wish to have one for herself before D makes that kind of diamond purchase

Maybe he could run them by her "like/dislike" style? If she doesn't know much about diamonds, she may not be able to tell the difference...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I CAN'T LIKE THIS ENOUGH!! ...seriously, I saw this and about DIED because it's soooo perfect!!

D, I think sox is onto something with this combination -- the stone will be SO MUCH LARGER than anything others have found so far. It will be white (and eye clean at that size). The setting is lovely, but EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SETTING, I'd still highly recommend you go with that 0.67 ct diamond! At 5.77 mm, it's going to have MUCH more presence than the others!

Setting is not her taste thats for sure. I can re-check with her but I think I have quite good "data" about dislikes...like molly said setting maybe too vintage.

But diamond..well its a BIG...but how can you say anything about it with one picture?
Is it sparky? I dont know much of old european cuts...read something on google. Do they look as good as modern cuts if answer is yes, I think I should start considering that option also...What is best way to make a ring with that...I order it from ebay and try to find ring where it fits and set it together locally here?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Got answer from Ilya for a custom made halo for that diamond. Halo ring without diamonds on the shank with 14k white gold cost $650 (including thew cost to set the diamond. Price with diamonds is very competitive said Ilya.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got answer from Ilya for a custom made halo for that diamond. Halo ring without diamonds on the shank with 14k white gold cost $650 (including thew cost to set the diamond. Price with diamonds is very competitive said Ilya.

ask him if he will do it all for $1500 total! The diamond I linked is absolutely stunning. If you can get that all for $1500, you did incredibly well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results