shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the stone IDJ is proposing. But FYI B2C is also in NYC -- on W. 46th Street, just around the corner from IDJ -- so if B2C actually has a stone in their possession (not in their virtual inventory), it would not have to shipped to IDJ.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice - you definitely won't be able to see that white inclusion at that size. Remember that the video and picture are taken at 10 or 20 power magnification.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the IDJ stone? Very beautiful!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised the ID jewelry stone looks really clean for an SI2, so you may have lucked out. It looks good from the pic. If you end up choosing it, please send us a pic of the final product. (isn't it time to maybe pull the trigger?)

I also love the oec that was pictured. But old cuts are a bit of an acquired taste, and may be a little iffy if you are not absolutely sure that's what your intended likes/has in her mind. I know I'm very picky, and even if something is very nice, if it's not what I had in mind, not going to be happy with it.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Very nice - you definitely won't be able to see that white inclusion at that size. Remember that the video and picture are taken at 10 or 20 power magnification.

Are you sure that i cant see it easily?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure that i cant see it easily?
100% I have a 2ct SI2 and I can't even see the inclusions in that size. This is a stunner of an SI2!! I am only not in love with the Stuller setting you are considering. Let me look for some other styles.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
100% I have a 2ct SI2 and I can't even see the inclusions in that size. This is a stunner of an SI2!! I am only not in love with the Stuller setting you are considering. Let me look for some other styles.

Hold..IDJ can make very nice halo..see video!!! Just like that Soleste!!!!

I think im done! Right? Just promise me that cloud dot cant be seen

http://aijaa.com/aZxcnz

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold..IDJ can make very nice halo..see video!!! Just like that Soleste!!!!

I think im done! Right? Just promise me that cloud dot cant be seen

Yep, love it! It looks fantastic! Your work is done here, my friend!

You won't notice the inclusion, I guarantee! That is a beautiful SI2!

Btw Joey is size 5.5 or so, so that gives you a pretty good idea as to how the ring will look on your gf's hand. It is lovely!

What is the final total?

Last edited:

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Is that the same diamond (in the halo video) as the one pictured above?

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Yep, love it! It looks fantastic! Your work is done here, my friend!

You won't notice the inclusion, I guarantee! That is a beautiful SI2!

Btw Joey is size 5.5 or so, so that gives you a pretty good idea as to how the ring will look on your gf's hand. It is lovely!

What is the final total?

Thank you! I have to talk with him about the price still. how do you know her size? Have you order from her also ? :)

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Is that the same diamond (in the halo video) as the one pictured above?

I think so. She said that thats how it will look but set nice and low :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I have to talk with him about the price still. how do you know her size? Have you order from her also ? :)
Yep, I have worked with her, she is a sweetheart and very patient :)

The diamond will be set low, right now, it is on top of the setting, but it seems like it is a good fit for the stone.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Yep, I have worked with her, she is a sweetheart and very patient :)

The diamond will be set low, right now, it is on top of the setting, but it seems like it is a good fit for the stone.

Oh sorry let me correct, she said that she have that ring in stock but for a bigger center, but it is very close to the look I want to achieve.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd absolutely pic that most recent diamond over the oec and a Halo from Ilya

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is now perfect - I think you're making the right choice for sure!!! It will be gorgeous....get it and come back to post pics once completed!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy the thing before someone else grabs the stone. It will be a lovely ring and you're done.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Just waiting confirmation from IDJ that price is good and we can proceed to end!!!!! :):)):)
Keep you updated!

OR if ilya but message and tell me that he got even better one lol :)

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First thing's first -- there is no yellow in that OEC G diamond...

But, since you've decided on a MRB, just to with the IDJ and soleste-style halo. Done and done. And come back and show photos once it's ready!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Dont want to waffling around but just to double check everything. Ilya pointed good view when I told him what offer I got. Told him IDJ stone details. He told that if the difference between VG cut and excellent cut is 1x then difference H VVS2 and I Si2 is 5x++.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-H-VVS2-...IFIED-LOOSE-/172775399533?hash=item283a37606d
Cut is far more important to a diamond'a attractiveness than color or clarity. That SI2 is eye clean, and I is only one color lower than H. There's no advantage in going down in cut quality just to get a slightly higher color and a clarity grade that you won't notice, (because the SI2 is eye clean). You will notice more fire and sparkle though. To me the I SI2 is the winner out of the 2. Also, less money!

Any word on IDJ's setting?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dont want to waffling around but just to double check everything. Ilya pointed good view when I told him what offer I got. Told him IDJ stone details. He told that if the difference between VG cut and excellent cut is 1x then difference H VVS2 and I Si2 is 5x++.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-H-VVS2-...IFIED-LOOSE-/172775399533?hash=item283a37606d

No. Very Good cut isn't good enough. Very Good is actually not good at all. There are even Triple Excellent diamonds that aren't good. Don't go there, please. Just get the one from IDJ and have them or Ilya do the setting (whichever you like better). You've worked too hard to settle for VG cut.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is far more important to a diamond'a attractiveness than color or clarity. That SI2 is eye clean, and I is only one color lower than H. There's no advantage in going down in cut quality just to get a slightly higher color and a clarity grade that you won't notice, (because the SI2 is eye clean). You will notice more fire and sparkle though. To me the I SI2 is the winner out of the 2. Also, less money!

Any word on IDJ's setting?

This... and I'm also curious to see the IDJ setting.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please read this from a veteran PSer who helped many, many people here.

"Round Diamonds 101:

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. With round diamonds even a GIA triple Excellent is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only (HPD in Europe is good as well). EGL is a bad option: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones generally, though you can. In general, AGS0 trumps HCA though as one examines the actual stone and the other does not.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.

So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD,BE, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium. Some AGS0's are better than others though, so pay attention to any ASET or IS provided.

In general with rounds, you will want a table 60% or less. A depth between 59 and 62.3. Crown angle 33.5-35. Pavilion Angle: 40.6-40.9 (there is a little give on this). And the crown and pavilion angles must be complimentary which is what the HCA checks for you."

Stick to these proportions:

Table: 54-58
Crown: 34-35 (35.5 is OK with pavilion of 40.6)
Pavilion: 40.6 to 40.9 (41 is ok with crown of 34)
Depth: 59.5 to 62.3

Pricescopers will strongly recommend you do some more background reading before committing to buying a diamond (over 2 cts).

The community here are fantastic, experienced and will help you look for a beautifully cut diamond that would get the best bang for your buck. There are several jewellers with in-house stones here as well, depending on your location.

If you must buy from local jewellers, try your best to stick to the above parameters and you will be much more pleased with the results, once you leave the deceiving halogen lights that saturates any poorly cut diamond with sparkle.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely get the IDJ. The diamond is beautiful! Excellent cut and proportions are valued a lot more in my opinion than color and clarity, otherwise we will all be buying colorless stones with poor cut, if cut didn't matter. I would also absolutely get the setting from IDJ. Their work is great, their prices are competitive and they will set the entire ring for you, assuming responsibility for the stone while in heir possession. No need to waste $$ on shipping, not to mention that the stone will be uninsured, it's a big no-no to me. If anything, if the IDJ setting price comes a bit higher, you can ask them to match it with the competitor's and see what they say. But once again, please stick with IDJ, they will deliver a great quality product.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
It might help to realize that both IDJ and Ilya are trying to sell you a diamond...while no one here gains anything by telling you to buy one over the other. You're getting unbiased advice based on a lot of years of experience from members, who combined, have bought hundreds of stones over the years. Keep that in mind! I think it's great that IDJ is now an option, and while I think Ilya can offer a lot on a budget, if IDJ can offer the same thing (in this case, better) for around the same price point, they have the edge when it comes to quality and customer service. Not knocking Ilya - I'm a loyal customer lol, but IDJ will offer that little bit extra that will knock this ring out of the park for you.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This... and I'm also curious to see the IDJ setting.
D posted the link to the IDJ video of halo setting (not the Stuller mounting seen up-upthread) yesterday -- screen shot:
IDJ sample halo.png

The video is of a showcase sample, made for a larger center diamond than what D is contemplating & the center stone is in a ring holder thingy, so it's sitting higher than it would "for real". Link to video here:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D posted the link to the IDJ video of halo setting (not the Stuller mounting seen up-upthread) yesterday -- screen shot:
IDJ sample halo.png

The video is of a showcase sample, made for a larger center diamond than what D is contemplating & the center stone is in a ring holder thingy, so it's sitting higher than it would "for real". Link to video here:

Thanks for posting, Molly! Now I need to try to find the Stuller halo...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results