shape
carat
color
clarity

Bristol Palin Interview on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:26:38 PM
Author: vespergirl

Date: 2/25/2009 7:19:13 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 6:18:54 PM
Author: beebrisk

Date: 2/25/2009 2:34:05 PM
Author: zhuzhu
beebrisk,

Do you mind me asking if you have had or have teenage children of your own? I am just curious as to if your strong belief is theoretical in nature, or if you had a success story of your own based on your preferred parenting style.

Funny really, that in light of the many 'strong beliefs' being thrown around this thread you ask only me for justification?

I find your question quite interesting really, but it's one that brings up a whole host of issues, none of which I'll go into here as it would lead us off the original topic.

Suffice to say, my opinion has been formed and forged in reality--not psycho-babble.

Nuff said.
How interesting that so many people without children have such strong convictions about parenting. As a parent, I find it ridiculous that people without children think that they can offer valuable parenting advice. It's as silly as Catholic priests providing marriage counseling.

And as for people who work with children, I think they do a great service to society, but it's still a different ballgame than parenting. For example, one of my best friends, who is a pre-K teacher, has frequently been critical of the parenting skills of other people we know in our community. She has always felt that she understands what it means to raise young children because of her job, and has sometimes spoken in a condescending manner to parents that she feels are subpar. Recently, however, she had her first child. She has confided to me how completely overwhelmed and stunned she is by motherhood. She would always say that she takes care of young kids all day, so she knows it isn't that hard, but she just told me that now that she understands the 24/7 demands of parenting, she has a completely different attitude towards those parents that she judged before.

So basically, I feel that unless you are a parent, your opinions on parenting don't hold as much water.
Hey everyone, I just wanted to respond to my own post, which was a specific reply to zhuzhu's and beebrisk's, which was discussing whether any of us on here were coming from a parent's position. I'm not trying to say that the opinions of teachers or non-parents don't count, but I do believe that there is a profound understanding of parenting that only comes with being a parent. I just feel that until you are a parent, you cannot really understand how the dynamic between you & your own child will work, and just how deep and sacred the relationship can be - there really is no comparison to any other type of relationship I've experienced. And, I will add that my son is still a little guy, but just a few years of parenting have had such a profound affect on my relationship with him, myself and the rest of the world. So, no disrespect meant to the opinions of others, but I still do feel that until your 'in the club' and standing in a parent's shoes, it's hard to judge what you would do in those particular circumstances.

I also have a question for Beebrisk regarding her assertion that her opinions are based in reailty - are you suggesting that my experience or zhuzhu's are not based in reality? How could they not be if they are indeed true and real? Could you share with us what your 'reality ' is so that we can understand where you are coming from? I am asking because I didn't understand your answer to her question - I see a lot of defensive posturing, and insult-hurling (why is an intelligently-phrased question accused of being 'psycho-babble'? Did you not understand the question?), but no explanations as to what your reality is and why you feel the way you do. You still haven't let us know if you're speaking from the position of a teenager, parent, minister, etc., because any thinking person would realize that the 'realities' of those people would all be very different. I am interested in hearing more about your perspective so that I can understand where you're coming from.
I asked this question earlier in the thread. How many responding to this post are or have been parents of a teenager. As a former parent of a teenage girl I can tell you that it was the biggest shock of my life. My loving little daughter became someone I didn't know. I loved her, but I didn't like her very much, at times. It was a miracle we made it through ages 15-20! At some point, in her twenties, the values she learned throughout her life really hit home for her. My daughter was back--with many lessons learned. I was a single parent through much of my daughter's life. I doubted myself. I received positive feedback about my parenting from family and friends. I asked how could my daughter be so diffcult? Someone responded that she was independent, like her mother, and someday it would serve her well. In the long run, it has served her well. We love each other and are proud of each others' accomplishments. It has been a long, wild and unpredictable ride.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 6:09:18 PM
Author: luckystar112
Just playing Devil's advocate, but I don't think that matters in this discussion. I don't believe you have children, correct? I don't, Moon doesn't, Thing2 doesn't, Holly doesn't, Ebree doesn't, Haven doesn't (although she has more experience with teenagers then everyone mentioned so far). So I think its safe to say that none of us have 'been there' yet.
My knowledge comes from being a teen myself and from all those "welfare queens" that people love to complain about. Most of them got pregnant, and continued to do so, due to poor sex education. You would be absolutely shocked and horrified at how much they don't know. But whatevs...let's not advocate for comprehensive sex education. Let them have fun with their multiple abortions and let the taxpayer keep paying for all those kids they decide to have! woo hoo!

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:19:13 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 6:18:54 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 2:34:05 PM

beebrisk,

Do you mind me asking if you have had or have teenage children of your own? I am just curious as to if your strong belief is theoretical in nature, or if you had a success story of your own based on your preferred parenting style.

Funny really, that in light of the many 'strong beliefs' being thrown around this thread you ask only me for justification?

I find your question quite interesting really, but it's one that brings up a whole host of issues, none of which I'll go into here as it would lead us off the original topic.

Suffice to say, my opinion has been formed and forged in reality--not psycho-babble.

Nuff said.

How interesting that so many people without children have such strong convictions about parenting. As a parent, I find it ridiculous that people without children think that they can offer valuable parenting advice. It's as silly as Catholic priests providing marriage counseling.

And as for people who work with children, I think they do a great service to society, but it's still a different ballgame than parenting. For example, one of my best friends, who is a pre-K teacher, has frequently been critical of the parenting skills of other people we know in our community. She has always felt that she understands what it means to raise young children because of her job, and has sometimes spoken in a condescending manner to parents that she feels are subpar. Recently, however, she had her first child. She has confided to me how completely overwhelmed and stunned she is by motherhood. She would always say that she takes care of young kids all day, so she knows it isn't that hard, but she just told me that now that she understands the 24/7 demands of parenting, she has a completely different attitude towards those parents that she judged before.

So basically, I feel that unless you are a parent, your opinions on parenting don't hold as much water.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to respond to my own post, which was a specific reply to zhuzhu's and beebrisk's, which was discussing whether any of us on here were coming from a parent's position. I'm not trying to say that the opinions of teachers or non-parents don't count, but I do believe that there is a profound understanding of parenting that only comes with being a parent. I just feel that until you are a parent, you cannot really understand how the dynamic between you & your own child will work, and just how deep and sacred the relationship can be - there really is no comparison to any other type of relationship I've experienced. And, I will add that my son is still a little guy, but just a few years of parenting have had such a profound affect on my relationship with him, myself and the rest of the world. So, no disrespect meant to the opinions of others, but I still do feel that until your 'in the club' and standing in a parent's shoes, it's hard to judge what you would do in those particular circumstances.

I also have a question for Beebrisk regarding her assertion that her opinions are based in reailty - are you suggesting that my experience or zhuzhu's are not based in reality? How could they not be if they are indeed true and real? Could you share with us what your 'reality ' is so that we can understand where you are coming from? I am asking because I didn't understand your answer to her question - I see a lot of defensive posturing, and insult-hurling (why is an intelligently-phrased question accused of being 'psycho-babble'? Did you not understand the question?), but no explanations as to what your reality is and why you feel the way you do. You still haven't let us know if you're speaking from the position of a teenager, parent, minister, etc., because any thinking person would realize that the 'realities' of those people would all be very different. I am interested in hearing more about your perspective so that I can understand where you're coming from.

In a world turned upside down, it's really sad that a person who thinks teenagers are better off not having sex, must actually defend and justify their viewpoint as clearly, it's incomprehensible to many.

Everyone here has an opinion on the subject and some have offered their personal experiences. But no one has been implored to do so, except of course the traditional, conservative thinker.

I don't feel I have to offer any explanations here, as if you look back at my posts you'll get a pretty good idea of where I'm coming from and why I feel the way I do. You see, I choose not to live by a relativistic viewpoint and it's served me well all these years. For me there's right and there's wrong. I'm clear on it and I don't feel the need to defend it. Not here anyway.

And really, what's the point? Before I hit "submit" I'll be accused of putting my daughter in a chastity belt, telling her that sex is bad--BAD!, and that I must be a person who's had a terrible sexual experience in adolescence causing me to feel this way.

Which brings me to pyscho-babble. For the record I did not accuse Zhu of this.. I was merely commenting on the fact that my opinions were not formed from what I've read or heard from our society's "experts" on child rearing and teen angst.

And now, for sure....Nuff said.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:49:45 PM

And really, what''s the point? Before I hit ''submit'' I''ll be accused of putting my daughter in a chastity belt, telling her that sex is bad--BAD!, and that I must be a person who''s had a terrible sexual experience in adolescence causing me to feel this way.
Don''t forget you only have sex in the missionary posiiton, with the lights off, and only for procreation purposes! And oh, you hate it!
3.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:59:19 PM

And really, what's the point? Before I hit 'submit' I'll be accused of putting my daughter in a chastity belt, telling her that sex is bad--BAD!, and that I must be a person who's had a terrible sexual experience in adolescence causing me to feel this way.

Don't forget you only have sex in the missionary posiiton, with the lights off, and only for procreation purposes! And oh, you hate it!
3.gif

Missionary Position?? I could NEVER loosen up THAT much!
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I was raised by parents who taught me sex is meant for marriage. I actually did wait until I was married at age 24 by choice because I didn''t want to risk an unplanned pregnancy. With that said, I know it was rare then (over 6 years ago), and know it will probably be even more rare when my little guy who is now 4 is a teenager. So when we give him "the talk" I will tell him how I feel sex is a wonderful and special thing that is meant to be shared with his wife, but I will also tell him that if he chooses to start a physical relationship with someone, he needs to protect himself from the risks. I will do that because I love him more than anything in this world, and I wouldn''t want him risking his life contracting AIDS just because he was too ashamed to buy condoms. I do hope he chooses not to engage in sex while a teenager simply because of all the risks involved, but at the same time, I feel like as a parent my number one job is to protect him. I will do my best to instill our values, but I will also educate him on the proper way to protect himself in case he doesn''t make that choice. You can only do so much as a parent, and then they are going to make their own choices.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

In a world turned upside down, it''s really sad that a person who thinks teenagers are better off not having sex, must actually defend and justify their viewpoint as clearly, it''s incomprehensible to many.

Everyone here has an opinion on the subject and some have offered their personal experiences. But no one has been implored to do so, except of course the traditional, conservative thinker.

I don''t feel I have to offer any explanations here, as if you look back at my posts you''ll get a pretty good idea of where I''m coming from and why I feel the way I do. You see, I choose not to live by a relativistic viewpoint and it''s served me well all these years. For me there''s right and there''s wrong. I''m clear on it and I don''t feel the need to defend it. Not here anyway.

And really, what''s the point? Before I hit ''submit'' I''ll be accused of putting my daughter in a chastity belt, telling her that sex is bad--BAD!, and that I must be a person who''s had a terrible sexual experience in adolescence causing me to feel this way.

Which brings me to pyscho-babble. For the record I did not accuse Zhu of this.. I was merely commenting on the fact that my opinions were not formed from what I''ve read or heard from our society''s ''experts'' on child rearing and teen angst.

And now, for sure....Nuff said

Beebrisk - here is an article that may be of interest to you. http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=427413
(my home computer is a mac - and I don''t know how to make links. Sorry).

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:05:39 PM
Author: steph72276
I was raised by parents who taught me sex is meant for marriage. I actually did wait until I was married at age 24 by choice because I didn''t want to risk an unplanned pregnancy. With that said, I know it was rare then (over 6 years ago), and know it will probably be even more rare when my little guy who is now 4 is a teenager. So when we give him ''the talk'' I will tell him how I feel sex is a wonderful and special thing that is meant to be shared with his wife, but I will also tell him that if he chooses to start a physical relationship with someone, he needs to protect himself from the risks. I will do that because I love him more than anything in this world, and I wouldn''t want him risking his life contracting AIDS just because he was too ashamed to buy condoms. I do hope he chooses not to engage in sex while a teenager simply because of all the risks involved, but at the same time, I feel like as a parent my number one job is to protect him. I will do my best to instill our values, but I will also educate him on the proper way to protect himself in case he doesn''t make that choice. You can only do so much as a parent, and then they are going to make their own choices.
That''s what I plan on doing as well. I think it''s the best way! It''s the "abstinence plus" way of teaching your child.

For the record, I FARRRR from waited till I was married. I am very lucky I never got pregnant. Looking back now I wish someone would have snapped me into reality!

I did some reading on it today (I''m taking a course on human sexuality) and apparently the most common scenario re: teen pregnancy is as follows:
Teenagers know about contraception before their parents or teachers ever tell them about it.
They KNOW that they are taking a risk by not using protection, so they do.
They decide not to use protection once or twice and nothing happens. They then convince themselves that "it won''t happen to them" and BOOM, pregnant.

So I plan on really hammering the point that it CAN and DOES happen.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I was raised by parents who taught me sex is meant for marriage. I actually did wait until I was married at age 24 by choice because I didn''t want to risk an unplanned pregnancy. With that said, I know it was rare then (over 6 years ago), and know it will probably be even more rare when my little guy who is now 4 is a teenager. So when we give him ''the talk'' I will tell him how I feel sex is a wonderful and special thing that is meant to be shared with his wife, but I will also tell him that if he chooses to start a physical relationship with someone, he needs to protect himself from the risks. I will do that because I love him more than anything in this world, and I wouldn''t want him risking his life contracting AIDS just because he was too ashamed to buy condoms. I do hope he chooses not to engage in sex while a teenager simply because of all the risks involved, but at the same time, I feel like as a parent my number one job is to protect him. I will do my best to instill our values, but I will also educate him on the proper way to protect himself in case he doesn''t make that choice. You can only do so much as a parent, and then they are going to make their own choices.
Steph, very well said. I totally agree and feel the same way - that''s what I meant about the bond between a parent & child and the instinctual need to protect your child. I feel the same way about my son - even though I would hope that he waits to have sex until he''s in a committed relationship, as I did, I want him to be as prepared as I was to protect himself from STDs and unintended pregnancy. Because I know that all parents put nothing ahead of the health and well-being of their children, so I think that deals are great, but the realities of what can happen to children who aren''t protected are too scary to not be prepared for.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:17:13 PM
Author: LAJennifer

In a world turned upside down, it''s really sad that a person who thinks teenagers are better off not having sex, must actually defend and justify their viewpoint as clearly, it''s incomprehensible to many.

I don''t feel I have to offer any explanations here, as if you look back at my posts you''ll get a pretty good idea of where I''m coming from and why I feel the way I do. You see, I choose not to live by a relativistic viewpoint and it''s served me well all these years. For me there''s right and there''s wrong. I''m clear on it and I don''t feel the need to defend it. Not here anyway.

Which brings me to pyscho-babble. For the record I did not accuse Zhu of this.. I was merely commenting on the fact that my opinions were not formed from what I''ve read or heard from our society''s ''experts'' on child rearing and teen angst.

Beebrisk - here is an article that may be of interest to you. http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=427413

VERY interesting LAJenn...Like I said earlier in this thread, we do our best to control what our kids eat, but we''re rather laissez-faire about what they do with their bodies.

Thanks for posting...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
"...Like I said earlier in this thread, we do our best to control what our kids eat, but we''re rather laissez-faire about what they do with their bodies."

I don''t think parents are "lazy" about what kids do with their bodies. It it simply that children eat what we feed them when eating at home, but if kids decide to have sex they do not do it in front of their parents.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:26:07 PM

Steph, very well said. I totally agree and feel the same way - that''s what I meant about the bond between a parent & child and the instinctual need to protect your child. I feel the same way about my son - even though I would hope that he waits to have sex until he''s in a committed relationship, as I did, I want him to be as prepared as I was to protect himself from STDs and unintended pregnancy. Because I know that all parents put nothing ahead of the health and well-being of their children, so I think that deals are great, but the realities of what can happen to children who aren''t protected are too scary to not be prepared for.
Thanks, Vesper. I think we all may have different views and opinions on this subject, but when it comes down to it, we all want our children to stay protected and healthy.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:17:13 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Hmm ... I wonder if some people are trying to sensually satisfy themselves with food instead of sex. The catch is, that overeating decadent foods is really bad for you, whereas having a lot of sex is really good for you - especially for your heart health and life expectancy - just ask Dr. Oz
emwink.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:48:55 PM
''...Like I said earlier in this thread, we do our best to control what our kids eat, but we''re rather laissez-faire about what they do with their bodies.''

I don''t think parents are ''lazy'' about what kids do with their bodies. It it simply that children eat what we feed them when eating at home, but if kids decide to have sex they do not do it in front of their parents.

Umm, actually, it doesn''t mean "lazy". It means purposely being uninvolved and not interfering. Teens need parental involvement and quite often a big dose of interference. Two tenants of good parenting, IMO.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I would hope that everyone would read LAJennifer''s linked article. It makes a valid point. But points tend to get lost in bluster and rhetoric, so it probably won''t matter . . . . .

And just to be clear, since I''ve been named by another poster, none of my posts say that sex is bad, sex is wrong, that I don''t like sex, that sex education should never be taught, etc. Conjecture is rather silly when I''ve most certainly been quite transparent in my posts. I left nothing for anyone to draw conclusions about.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:17:01 PM
Author: HollyS
I would hope that everyone would read LAJennifer''s linked article. It makes a valid point. But points tend to get lost in bluster and rhetoric, so it probably won''t matter . . . . .

And just to be clear, since I''ve been named by another poster, none of my posts say that sex is bad, sex is wrong, that I don''t like sex, that sex education should never be taught, etc. Conjecture is rather silly when I''ve most certainly been quite transparent in my posts. I left nothing for anyone to draw conclusions about.

Yeah, me neither. But you''d swear I was manufacturing chastity belts in my basement.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s basically that 4 conversations are going on at once.

1. Urging your children not to have sex until they are ready and hoping for the best/teaching them about B.C. and hoping for the best

2. The reason teen pregnancy occurs/our experiences with/as teenagers

3. Conservatives are prudes!

4. Sarah Palin EVIL PSYCHO MISOGYNIST! Bristol, STUPID SPAWN of PSYCHO!

Did I miss anything?
9.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:14:26 PM

1. Urging your children not to have sex until they are ready and hoping for the best/teaching them about B.C. and hoping for the best

Did I miss anything?
9.gif
Yes!
5. I''ve been the parent of a teenager and here is my experience
14.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bee -- I think there are several posters here (myself included) who aren''t necessarily advocating for teenage sex. Reitterating what I said earlier... the concern is that this is not a perfect world, most parents are not perfect parents (and some have no clue how to raise kids, let along care), and not all kids are perfect kids. Add onto that the sexualization of the media, the persistent messages that sex is not related to intimacy, let alone responsibility, and... the reality is that there will be kids who have sex for one reason or another. I''d rather those kids were informed about and had some access to birth control options.

When I take the bus to work I usually take a somewhat "gritty" line that has one of my city''s poorer neighborhoods on one end, and the county jail on the other. I learn a lot taking that bus! Anyhow, I still recall clearly overhearing a conversation between two young girls (probably not older than 16) about their babies and/or pregnancies. One was saying how she was looking forward to her next baby. She was not a conventionally attractive girl -- I''m sure she was teased for her looks in school -- and the clear message I got was that for her, a baby was a chance to get love or acceptance that she wouldn''t normally get. I have no idea what her home life was like, all I know is that she was pregnant and travelling to (or from) a doctor''s office by herself, and that her babies were fulfilling some sort of need for her.

I know that''s an extreme example, but it comes from real life. There are kids who for one reason or another will have sex. My belief, based on my recollection of high school, is that it rarely has to do with the level of intimacy, commitment, and responsibility that most adults would want, but it will happen irrespective of parents'' attempts to oversee or incoculate their kids. I''d rather that kids know about birth control options if they choose to have sex.

I''d also rather that there were no kids who felt a need to use sex (or babies!) as a way to get unconditional love or a sense of belonging, but...
7.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:16:08 PM
Author: risingsun

I think it's basically that 4 conversations are going on at once.

Did I miss anything?
9.gif
Yes!

5. I've been the parent of a teenager and here is my experience
14.gif

Don't forget:

6. The liberal media is to blame!

3.gif
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Teach them? Heck you''d better provide the condoms. They''re expensive!!! And that is one of the biggest reasons that teens don''t use them.
38.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:42:51 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 2/26/2009 11:16:08 PM

Author: risingsun

Did I miss anything?
9.gif
Yes!

5. I''ve been the parent of a teenager and here is my experience
14.gif

Don''t forget:

6. The liberal media is to blame!

3.gif
9.gif

No...not necessarily the liberal media, but the liberal culture, for certain.
Sad, really.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Did I miss anything?
9.gif
Yes. The whole "I did it as a kid, therefore it''s the right thing to do." To which the only proper response is, thank you for proving my point that too many children are deciding what is best for themselves. Extensive planning on the part of the child doesn''t make ''doing it'' okay. Maybe it just means that whatever their parents say isn''t important to them, since after all, it''s not a ''moment of passion'' if you plan for it. And all the planning in the world doesn''t prevent an ''oops'' baby. Wonder how many of the teen pregnancy statistics represent children who ''planned'' their sex lives?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
God I love pointless threads like this. They''re the cornerstone of ATW, really.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 9:39:37 AM
Author: thing2of2
God I love pointless threads like this. They're the cornerstone of ATW, really.

Ha! Indeed, only in AtW can a group of (mostly) childless folk bicker about the best way to parent a teenager for six pages. How many more can we stretch it?
41.gif
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 9:39:37 AM
Author: thing2of2
God I love pointless threads like this. They''re the cornerstone of ATW, really.
And why be pointless when you can be pretentious, I always say.
3.gif

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Stay on topic

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 9:25:51 AM

Did I miss anything?
9.gif

Yes. The whole ''I did it as a kid, therefore it''s the right thing to do.'' To which the only proper response is, thank you for proving my point that too many children are deciding what is best for themselves. Extensive planning on the part of the child doesn''t make ''doing it'' okay. Maybe it just means that whatever their parents say isn''t important to them, since after all, it''s not a ''moment of passion'' if you plan for it. And all the planning in the world doesn''t prevent an ''oops'' baby. Wonder how many of the teen pregnancy statistics represent children who ''planned'' their sex lives?

When it is ''right'' or ''okay'' for young people to have sex is and will always be subjective. I''m 26. I''ve have sex with one person, 2 years after we started dating. And I was 22 at the time. If we had begun dating at 17, and began having sex at 19, I doubt it would have made much difference. My parents didn''t teach any of the three of us about sex, and none of us had sex in our teens. I actually was probably the youngest when I became sexually active. And I''m not religious. Be that as it may, beyond your own children, it makes little sense trying to prescribe random and arbitrary dates and times when things become ''okay''. There will be people who had teenage sex and are emotionally fine and others who are not. I have friends who are 26 and up who have not had sex, and the negative emotional toll of that decision has actually been pretty bad. They are obsessed with sex, and can''t make clear emotional decisions in their relationships because of it. One friend will probably end up marrying the next guy she dates, good bad or indifferent, so that she can have sex. That''s a terrible reason, but age has nothing to do with it. Sex is very personal, it''s not one size fits all. And it is very possible that people who are saying that they did it without negative ramifications ARE telling the truth of their experience. It''s not an excuse, it''s THEIR story. I''m not really sure how that ''proves'' your point.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 7:00:01 PM
Author: trillionaire

Date: 2/27/2009 9:25:51 AM

Did I miss anything?
9.gif

Yes. The whole ''I did it as a kid, therefore it''s the right thing to do.'' To which the only proper response is, thank you for proving my point that too many children are deciding what is best for themselves. Extensive planning on the part of the child doesn''t make ''doing it'' okay. Maybe it just means that whatever their parents say isn''t important to them, since after all, it''s not a ''moment of passion'' if you plan for it. And all the planning in the world doesn''t prevent an ''oops'' baby. Wonder how many of the teen pregnancy statistics represent children who ''planned'' their sex lives?

When it is ''right'' or ''okay'' for young people to have sex is and will always be subjective. I''m 26. I''ve have sex with one person, 2 years after we started dating. And I was 22 at the time. If we had begun dating at 17, and began having sex at 19, I doubt it would have made much difference. My parents didn''t teach any of the three of us about sex, and none of us had sex in our teens. I actually was probably the youngest when I became sexually active. And I''m not religious. Be that as it may, beyond your own children, it makes little sense trying to prescribe random and arbitrary dates and times when things become ''okay''. There will be people who had teenage sex and are emotionally fine and others who are not. I have friends who are 26 and up who have not had sex, and the negative emotional toll of that decision has actually been pretty bad. They are obsessed with sex, and can''t make clear emotional decisions in their relationships because of it. One friend will probably end up marrying the next guy she dates, good bad or indifferent, so that she can have sex. That''s a terrible reason, but age has nothing to do with it. Sex is very personal, it''s not one size fits all. And it is very possible that people who are saying that they did it without negative ramifications ARE telling the truth of their experience. It''s not an excuse, it''s THEIR story. I''m not really sure how that ''proves'' your point.
36.gif
36.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Trillinionaire: if any young woman feels so miserable about herself, based merely upon her lack of sexual experience, that she will make, is making, or will continue to make stupid choices -- then she is not normal and is in need of therapy. Sex is not a replacement for making you feel whole, satisfied with your life, happy with who you are. What ails her is not her need for sex, but her need for intimacy. Sex won''t fix that.

And no one is suggesting that adults do not have the right to make their own choices with regard to sex; we were specifically talking about children.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results