shape
carat
color
clarity

Bristol Palin Interview on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 7:00:01 PM
Author: trillionaire

Sex is very personal, it's not one size fits all. And it is very possible that people who are saying that they did it without negative ramifications ARE telling the truth of their experience. It's not an excuse, it's THEIR story. I'm not really sure how that 'proves' your point.

I agree, trill. People mature at different rates- when should the 'appropriate' line be drawn? When the little bird has left the nest? Twenty? The wedding night? People have careless sex at all ages and maturity levels.

Date: 2/27/2009 9:25:51 AM

Author: HollyS

Yes. The whole 'I did it as a kid, therefore it's the right thing to do.' To which the only proper response is, thank you for proving my point that too many children are deciding what is best for themselves. Extensive planning on the part of the child doesn't make 'doing it' okay. Maybe it just means that whatever their parents say isn't important to them, since after all, it's not a 'moment of passion' if you plan for it. And all the planning in the world doesn't prevent an 'oops' baby.

All the planning in the world doesn't prevent an 'oops' baby? Of course it does. If you mean no method is 100 percent, you're right, but a method is better than no method. Abstinence is better than sex with protection is better than sex without protection when it comes to preventing teen pregnancy, but not all teens are going to remain abstinent until adulthood just because Mommy said so. That's reality. So what's the next best option?

This is another discussion with no end, so again, I'll say not one of us has the single correct answer. We've all shared what we'd do to try to prevent teen pregnancy, and that's the goal, is it not? Different methods will work for different teens, and when it comes down to it, you've got to do the best you can as a parent and try to keep your teen happy and pregnancy/STD-free while hoping other parents do the same. The end.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 7:21:42 PM
Author: HollyS
Trillinionaire: if any young woman feels so miserable about herself, based merely upon her lack of sexual experience, that she will make, is making, or will continue to make stupid choices -- then she is not normal and is in need of therapy. Sex is not a replacement for making you feel whole, satisfied with your life, happy with who you are. What ails her is not her need for sex, but her need for intimacy. Sex won't fix that.

And no one is suggesting that adults do not have the right to make their own choices with regard to sex; we were specifically talking about children.

LOL, I do tell her she needs therapy, just so you know!
2.gif

FWIW, I was a hawk with my sister, and insisted that she not have sex until she finished college. (THANK GAWD she listened), so yes, I agree that it is often BETTER for children to not have sex. But the world doesn't collapse if they do, and it's not necessarily unhealthy. The average age in the US is 15 point something years old, last I checked. I don't think I would argue that half of Americans were 'damaged' or 'worse off' for it. Preference is just preference. In many states, you can get married at 14 and 15. (with parental consent, no less) I would argue that that is FAR worse than having sex at 14. Teens do have the right to decided what to do with their bodies, despite the objections of parents (just watch out for those rape charges! maybe THAT is what we should be teaching teens, lol) I wouldn't want my child to have sex as a teen, but if they did, and they were mature enough to be able to have discussions with me about it, I would feel okay. It's not like they killed anyone. And it's not "wrong", maybe just not preferable. Then again, I wouldn't want my kid to get married before they are 25. *shrugs* Just my preference, arbitrary as it is.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you all have seen the show "30 Days"

This episode depicts a pro-choice feminist living and working with the pro-life movement for 30 days.
I''ve only just begun to watch the episode, but thought it might be of interest to others. I have no idea or expectation about how it will play out, but wanted to share with others. I think you need a Hulu (free) account to view it. You can put fake info if you want, they don''t make you verify your email or anything...

http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/2009/03/pro-choicepro-life-30-days.html

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 11:17:48 AM
Author: trillionaire
I don''t know if you all have seen the show ''30 Days''

This episode depicts a pro-choice feminist living and working with the pro-life movement for 30 days.
I''ve only just begun to watch the episode, but thought it might be of interest to others. I have no idea or expectation about how it will play out, but wanted to share with others. I think you need a Hulu (free) account to view it. You can put fake info if you want, they don''t make you verify your email or anything...

http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/2009/03/pro-choicepro-life-30-days.html

Thanks for the link, trill! I''ll check it out. I''ve seen a few episodes of 30 Days and they were interesting, to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results