shape
carat
color
clarity

Bored senseless... let's chat about upcoming projects.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds i do love the combination with the rose quartz beads. The pink provides a nice perky contrast to the jet.
I think you can call it your Blackpink necklace!
(I know you are a Bruce Springsteen fan)

The green beads look interesting too. I get what you mean re: winter - having some colourful things certainly lifts my mood. We wouldn’t mind some of the cold. Singapore is very warm these days.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds i do love the combination with the rose quartz beads. The pink provides a nice perky contrast to the jet.
I think you can call it your Blackpink necklace!
(I know you are a Bruce Springsteen fan)

The green beads look interesting too. I get what you mean re: winter - having some colourful things certainly lifts my mood. We wouldn’t mind some of the cold. Singapore is very warm these days.

the green are Malachite
with the rest of the 'new ' jet i had to buy to fix the fat neck problem :lol-2: but i want gold beads to accompany them so that project has to wait

i dont know how you guys cope with the humidity, i surpose you are just used to it
winter is just around the corner for us

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
the green are Malachite
with the rest of the 'new ' jet i had to buy to fix the fat neck problem :lol-2: but i want gold beads to accompany them so that project has to wait

i dont know how you guys cope with the humidity, i surpose you are just used to it
winter is just around the corner for us

The answer is, with difficulty! That is why Singapore’s late Prime Minister opined that the most important invention for Singapore was air conditioning.
For me, it’s breathable clothing, ventilation, water, tea, and sunscreen.
Malachite has a special place in Chinese culture, it is called the peacock stone. Such a pretty name!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer is, with difficulty! That is why Singapore’s late Prime Minister opined that the most important invention for Singapore was air conditioning.
For me, it’s breathable clothing, ventilation, water, tea, and sunscreen.
Malachite has a special place in Chinese culture, it is called the peacock stone. Such a pretty name!

it sounds odd not to have winter
i could give you a few days of it then you could give it back :lol-2:

AntiqueFreak

Rough_Rock
Found a very cool rare stone called grandiderite and promptly ordered a 4.43 carat untreated pear. Not sure in the slightest how to set it. It’s a 7-7.5 on the MOHs scale so it’s good enough for jewelry. 8BE0BA90-7BA1-47AA-8F2C-7B1129AC4172.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Here to share the results of my last project. Sun is setting, so I will try to get the necklace photographed tomorrow. PXL_20230629_014223876.jpg
PXL_20230629_014146339.jpg PXL_20230629_013749796.jpg PXL_20230629_014250898.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
so cool! can't wait to see the bracelet!

I don't have any more star rubies left! Happened to acquire these two years ago during pandemic, but they weren't that close in size so I did necklace and ring instead of a toi et moi.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I feel so very slow compared to some of the posters here who are whipping up beautiful creations with such ease.
I was looking for a Yogo sapphire pair, which somehow turned into a hunt for the fine 'Grape' purple Mozambique garnets.
Now I am in contact with a dealer of these purple garnets inspired by @WhoaNelly 's photos on this thread

I am also interested in a Van Craeynest gents band at the moment, but the budget doesn't allow.

Last edited:
M

maru8888777

I don't have any more star rubies left! Happened to acquire these two years ago during pandemic, but they weren't that close in size so I did necklace and ring instead of a toi et moi.

I think I meant necklace, sorry (though a bracelet would also be lovely)! I love the set... the star rubies really shine in that design! I imagine it's your creation. Did Inken make it? Are those little sapphires on the side? They are very bright!

M

maru8888777

I feel so very slow compared to some of the posters here who are whipping up beautiful creations with such ease.
I was looking for a Yogo sapphire pair, which somehow turned into a hunt for the fine 'Grape' purple Mozambique garnets.
Now I am in contact with a dealer of these purple garnets inspired by @WhoaNelly 's photos on this thread

I am also interested in a Van Craeynest gents band at the moment, but the budget doesn't allow.

ooh do post about your grape garnets.... I've never seen one in person, but they seem like such interesting stones! Also, those bands are to die for...

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
ooh do post about your grape garnets.... I've never seen one in person, but they seem like such interesting stones! Also, those bands are to die for...

It is sweet of you to show interest. This is a much needed distraction for me.

They will be a custom cut pair from gemgalleryafrica.com, who have some nice and fairly priced already cut ones. I am waiting for them to send me some preformed rough before we decide to go ahead with anything. Very friendly and knowledgeable people so far, who have experience with this material and the color nuances.

I was very particular and specific with how I want the color and sent them multiple photos of what I was looking for, and what to avoid. They assured me they could deliver, but also set realistic expectations (mainly that no matter how purple, this material will have a warm element to the color in some lights). Hoping for anywhere between 1.5-2.5ct per stone (larger tend to be dark). Once more info is on the way, I will be able to share.

Here's the example pics they sent me to help understand the color.

The trillion is an amethyst, which is obviously the most pure purple.
The larger pear is among the finer type Royal purple garnet, which they claim photographs more warm than in real life, and is similar to my inspiration photos (which were less reddish)
The smaller pear is a rhodolite.

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg

As for the stones on their site, it should be material that looks more like cooler toned fantasy/kite/whatever cut, rather than the warmer pear/clefltless heart - of course, lighting here helpts to mute the reddish overtone.

2 (1).jpg 2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Here to share the results of my last project. Sun is setting, so I will try to get the necklace photographed tomorrow. PXL_20230629_014223876.jpg
PXL_20230629_014146339.jpg PXL_20230629_013749796.jpg PXL_20230629_014250898.jpg

Wowowowowowwo!!!!!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock

They will be a custom cut pair from gemgalleryafrica.com, who have some nice and fairly priced already cut ones. I am waiting for them to send me some preformed rough before we decide to go ahead with anything. Very friendly and knowledgeable people so far, who have experience with this material and the color nuances.

I was very particular and specific with how I want the color and sent them multiple photos of what I was looking for, and what to avoid. They assured me they could deliver, but also set realistic expectations (mainly that no matter how purple, this material will have a warm element to the color in some lights). Hoping for anywhere between 1.5-2.5ct per stone (larger tend to be dark). Once more info is on the way, I will be able to share.

The larger pear is among the finer type Royal purple garnet, which they claim photographs more warm than in real life, and is similar to my inspiration photos (which were less reddish)

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg

As for the stones on their site, it should be material that looks more like cooler toned fantasy/kite/whatever cut, rather than the warmer pear/clefltless heart - of course, lighting here helpts to mute the reddish overtone.

2 (1).jpg 2 (2).jpg

So so excited for you! Can’t wait to see what you receive. The stones are so changeable. Glad you are intrigued by their mystery. Please please share.

While you wait, here’s my latest purple garnet (radiant cut by Jeff White—purchased preloved). Caysie’s glamour shot below. I’d say this stone is the moodiest of the lot and it appears to be consistently darker on one side. I never saw it loose—I bought it in a setting. So we will see how it performs when I have it in hand. Caysie said it was a lil camera shy ;-)

IMG_3724.jpeg

ETA: Here’s a pic in the old setting next to the old setting of the other grape garnet I purchased pre-loved. Not the best photo of each but you can kind of see how the larger stone (over 3 carats) looks next to the smaller in terms of darkness.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I’m usually shy about posting but dang this project got me revved! I get it next week (please be on time Fedex!). It’s a no heat zircon, burnt orange in color, cut by Gene of Precision Gem. Bought from a lovely PSer.

I set it in an OEC halo, replacing the original OEC diamond. The prongs were redone to fit the stone—it was a wee bit larger than the original diamond. I wanted a pop of color and it delivers. I was worried about mixing cuts since the zircon has a modern type cut. When I saw the photos, that concern dropped away. Caysie photographed with a Jane band that she resized for me.

IMG_4008.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 17

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
So so excited for you! Can’t wait to see what you receive. The stones are so changeable. Glad you are intrigued by their mystery. Please please share.

While you wait, here’s my latest purple garnet (radiant cut by Jeff White—purchased preloved). Caysie’s glamour shot below. I’d say this stone is the moodiest of the lot and it appears to be consistently darker on one side. I never saw it loose—I bought it in a setting. So we will see how it performs when I have it in hand. Caysie said it was a lil camera shy ;-)

IMG_3724.jpeg

I will keep the journey updated and hopefully have a good testimonial to leave for this company. I am a little concerned about the color shift being a bit too extreme on the warm spectrum, but once some preforms are done, we can pick out the best ones based on my preferences.

I think both your rings looks fantastic. The garnet - very purple with a minimal hint of warmth, and not too dark. Pretty much exactly what I want. Zircon is so underrated in non-blue colors. And the settings are superb with all those diamonds. Enjoy them!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I will keep the journey updated and hopefully have a good testimonial to leave for this company. I am a little concerned about the color shift being a bit too extreme on the warm spectrum, but once some preforms are done, we can pick out the best ones based on my preferences.

I think both your rings looks fantastic. The garnet - very purple with a minimal hint of warmth, and not too dark. Pretty much exactly what I want. Zircon is so underrated in non-blue colors. And the settings are superb with all those diamonds. Enjoy them!

Thank you!! And I’m sure the more experienced colored stone lovers will help you on your journey. I will chime in too if I have something useful to add ;-)

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I’m usually shy about posting but dang this project got me revved! I get it next week (please be on time Fedex!). It’s a no heat zircon, burnt orange in color, cut by Gene of Precision Gem. Bought from a lovely PSer.

I set it in an OEC halo, replacing the original OEC diamond. The prongs were redone to fit the stone—it was a wee bit larger than the original diamond. I wanted a pop of color and it delivers. I was worried about mixing cuts since the zircon has a modern type cut. When I saw the photos, that concern dropped away. Caysie photographed with a Jane band that she resized for me.

IMG_4008.jpeg

Oh my! That color, those OECs, those prongs! Just beautiful!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_4008.jpeg

DDG ! :kiss2:
please dont be shy
post away :kiss2:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of having my 2 unheated rubies (purchased through DesertRose) from the Tucson gem show.

The larger pinkish red Burmese ruby will be in a stock Pear sidestone setting (from ID Jewelry). I should be able to pick it up next week!
1.76ct Burmese Ruby

And the smaller purplish red Vietnamese ruby will be in a custom mixed metal OMC cluster setting being made by Sako :)The center bezel and shank will be 18k yellow gold, while the prongs/top are platinum.

0.91ct Vietnam Unheated Ruby.jpg

CAD from Sako

Work in progress!

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg

2 (1).jpg 2 (2).jpg

I was sent photos of preforms of purple garnets from this company today - outdoors, indoors and backlit. I told them to pick any shape because color is #1, so ovals it is. They assured me these are from the best rough they have for my preferences. I am happy with the appearance, and my expectations have been met. They described them as having 'no red tints coming through' to quote their exact words. Preforms are 6+cttw, with expected yield of 4ct (2ct each), which is the upper range of weight I wanted so I'm happy about that. I think this is the perfect size to avoid the dark tone associated with larger sizes, but still have a decent sized stone (actually two). Still working out some details with the seller before we finalize and cut. I hope it works out!

Untitled.jpg
Untitleds.jpg
Untitleddd.jpg

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I was sent photos of preforms of purple garnets from this company today - outdoors, indoors and backlit. I told them to pick any shape because color is #1, so ovals it is. They assured me these are from the best rough they have for my preferences. I am happy with the appearance, and my expectations have been met. They described them as having 'no red tints coming through' to quote their exact words. Preforms are 6+cttw, with expected yield of 4ct (2ct each), which is the upper range of weight I wanted so I'm happy about that. I think this is the perfect size to avoid the dark tone associated with larger sizes, but still have a decent sized stone (actually two). Still working out some details with the seller before we finalize and cut. I hope it works out!

Untitled.jpg
Untitleds.jpg
Untitleddd.jpg

Can't wait to see this finished piece(s?)

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see this finished piece(s?)

Pieces, as I commissioned a pair. I will live with them loose for a while before setting. But I am getting ahead of myself.
They have an interesting mix of more traditionally cut stones and fantastic precision jobs. For these kinda elongated ovals, I have to find out what the options are, and their pros and cons. I am concerned about excessive extinction.

M

maru8888777

Pieces, as I commissioned a pair. I will live with them loose for a while before setting. But I am getting ahead of myself.
They have an interesting mix of more traditionally cut stones and fantastic precision jobs. For these kinda elongated ovals, I have to find out what the options are, and their pros and cons. I am concerned about excessive extinction.

How do you know how to select good rough? This is fascinating, thanks for letting us see the whole process! Also, is red undesirable in grape garnets?

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
How do you know how to select good rough? This is fascinating, thanks for letting us see the whole process! Also, is red undesirable in grape garnets?

Oh, I didn't personally select the rough, nor am I cutting them, nor are the preforms with me. Sorry if any of that was unclear. I don't have the experience. I googled about the material - purple Mozambique garnet - and happened upon a site gemgalleryafrica.com, who had some small pairs in stock (I've wanted a pair of these since I saw the pairs on AJS Gems years ago, but could never justify their pricing.)

They offer a custom lapidary service so I reached out about cutting a larger pair. I gave them lots of inspiration photos of what I was expecting/hoping for, and we agreed on what is realistic. A few days later they sent me these preformed options. I was very clear about my preferences and I made sure to state them multiple times to prevent any misunderstanding. They claimed they selected from the best rough they have, I have no reason to not believe that. From the preforms, they do appear a purple I expect, and rather bright in tone especially in the daylight photo.

Re: red, some might like a reddish purple hue, but for me I want it to look as different from plain garnet as possible. Check a few posts above, where I posted a photo they sent me of a nice grape garnet vs amethyst vs rhodolite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results