shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Friday for gemstones?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well I decided that I needed some of these. For one of the eternity bands that Yvonne makes. Cause they were on sale and the color I want. :lol-2:Dematoid Garnets 1.25 mm each. Big THANKS to @leslie1956 for answering all my questions about her lovely eternity.

Dematoid 1.25.jpg
Those are beautiful!! They are going to be so sparkly on your ring.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
5CACAE85-A99C-4894-800A-7DC10DB71AAB.jpeg 6B6460AD-F799-4B53-B8C4-A868FBC65CD2.jpeg

Updating this thread with my Black Friday purchase from Finewater Gems, a 1.35 ct red Burmese spinel, described as old stock and well priced at 25% off.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this one. I like the color and the size, it just lights up in sunlight. However, it came with a number of blemishes that I wasn’t expecting, including two naturals on the pavilion and two tiny but eye-visible nicks, one on the girdle. Possibly all these contributed to the pricing as it was. I only wish I knew about them beforehand, considering it was final sale and I had asked about inclusions (there is one significant one which I do not mind). I did not think to ask about nicks and naturals, which I will be sure to do in future.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5CACAE85-A99C-4894-800A-7DC10DB71AAB.jpeg 6B6460AD-F799-4B53-B8C4-A868FBC65CD2.jpeg

Updating this thread with my Black Friday purchase from Finewater Gems, a 1.35 ct red Burmese spinel, described as old stock and well priced at 25% off.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this one. I like the color and the size, it just lights up in sunlight. However, it came with a number of blemishes that I wasn’t expecting, including two naturals on the pavilion and two tiny but eye-visible nicks, one on the girdle. Possibly all these contributed to the pricing as it was. I only wish I knew about them beforehand, considering it was final sale and I had asked about inclusions (there is one significant one which I do not mind). I did not think to ask about nicks and naturals, which I will be sure to do in future.

I’m surprised that any nicks weren’t noted in the listing. That would upset most of us.
Now having said that, this thing is a beauty in the sun. Like a glowing ember. :love:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh bummer @peacechick I'm sorry. The colour is lovely though.

I looked at the pics and saw the nicks in the pavilion and girdle. Is that all there is or is there more?

What I found with my flawed emerald was that by finding a budget but lovely setting for it I felt better about the whole thing. Because the ring ended up being lovely and very budget friendly which took away from the sting of the bogies in the stone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry, I hate those kinds of surprises. Congrats on the great color and size.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I hate those kinds of surprises. Congrats on the great color and size.

I know it's weird but it's worse when you like the colour too. Cuz you're totally throw, but you still like the stone so the disappointment is worse and you feel like you didn't want to be part of this in the first place. I always feel like "But it's right there why didn't you tell me?"

Whoops sorry for the rant! This is bringing back memories of that wretched pad with Caratzone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's weird but it's worse when you like the colour too. Cuz you're totally throw, but you still like the stone so the disappointment is worse and you feel like you didn't want to be part of this in the first place. I always feel like "But it's right there why didn't you tell me?"

Whoops sorry for the rant! This is bringing back memories of that wretched pad with Caratzone.

Yes it brings back memories for me too. :((

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh bummer @peacechick I'm sorry. The colour is lovely though.

I looked at the pics and saw the nicks in the pavilion and girdle. Is that all there is or is there more?

What I found with my flawed emerald was that by finding a budget but lovely setting for it I felt better about the whole thing. Because the ring ended up being lovely and very budget friendly which took away from the sting of the bogies in the stone.

You can’t see the indented naturals on the pavilion, only the two nicks on the table. When I saw them, I first thought they were deep scratches in the stone, but they’re from the original rough. Read somewhere that naturals can be evidence of good cutting as the cutter has fully maximised the rough without sacrificing cut or brilliance. This part is pretty cool, when you think about it.

I have close up photos of the nicks but eh, I don’t feel like posting them. I think if I can get a setting that covers the one on the girdle, I’ll feel much better. I did hesitate before posting this because it was from a PS-trusted vendor and I didn’t want to be seen as bashing them. But it wouldn’t be much of a consumer forum if people didn’t post their real feelings right?

Sorry for triggering, you guys!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t see the indented naturals on the pavilion, only the two nicks on the table. When I saw them, I first thought they were deep scratches in the stone, but they’re from the original rough. Read somewhere that naturals can be evidence of good cutting as the cutter has fully maximised the rough without sacrificing cut or brilliance. This part is pretty cool, when you think about it.

I have close up photos of the nicks but eh, I don’t feel like posting them. I think if I can get a setting that covers the one on the girdle, I’ll feel much better. I did hesitate before posting this because it was from a PS-trusted vendor and I didn’t want to be seen as bashing them. But it wouldn’t be much of a consumer forum if people didn’t post their real feelings right?

Sorry for triggering, you guys!

Oh no absolutely not! Thank you for posting! You should absolutely post if you are not happy no matter who it is.

I think special treatment for any vendor, even a trusted one is extremely unfair on other vendors who would get called out for the same things!

It's a good reminder for us all to ask ALL the questions. I know sometimes I get a bit lax with questions, especially with vendors I have bought from many times.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m sorry you didn’t know about this before purchasing it considering it’s a final sale..It’s very surprising everything wasn’t disclosed before the sale. The stone is such a beautiful color..I hope the vendor reads your post and let’s you return it if that’s what you want to do..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah those kind of surprises are the bad and unfun ones ;(

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry you didn’t know about this before purchasing it considering it’s a final sale..It’s very surprising everything wasn’t disclosed before the sale. The stone is such a beautiful color..I hope the vendor reads your post and let’s you return it if that’s what you want to do..

Gary just got back from a trip and has offered me a return. I think in the end, it was just an insufficient exchange of information. I’m sure he intended his Black Friday sale to make people happy. I think had I been informed about all the flaws, I likely would have bought the spinel anyway. So in that spirit, I think I will keep the stone and move on to thinking about settings.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary just got back from a trip and has offered me a return. I think in the end, it was just an insufficient exchange of information. I’m sure he intended his Black Friday sale to make people happy. I think had I been informed about all the flaws, I likely would have bought the spinel anyway. So in that spirit, I think I will keep the stone and move on to thinking about settings.

Aww good on him! That's very nice of him and I think it resets your feelings about the stone!

So excited to see what setting you will get for it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m happy to hear this worked out for you! I can’t wait to see it set!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I had my eye on that gorgeous spinel and was so sad when it sold. I was trying to be good with my spending and wasn’t quick enough. The color is indeed beautiful, and I would have bought it anyway with the naturals too (yes, expecting full disclosure). I’m so happy you love it and it found a good home! It looks beautiful on you, @peacechick ! Can’t wait to see more pictures!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
7A1EECDC-33CD-4B1D-9BA0-96F4149D5851.jpeg 17BDC67B-8C98-4CB2-9D1F-00604388ACD8.jpeg

I went for very green this time around. o_O Rachelle from mastercutgems was very sweet.
Celestite rough, green tourmaline, topaz, cats eye alexandrite, chrysoprase (gift!), and jade. I was excited for the alexandrite because it’s my favorite gemstone.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7A1EECDC-33CD-4B1D-9BA0-96F4149D5851.jpeg 17BDC67B-8C98-4CB2-9D1F-00604388ACD8.jpeg

I went for very green this time around. o_O Rachelle from mastercutgems was very sweet.
Celestite rough, green tourmaline, topaz, cats eye alexandrite, chrysoprase (gift!), and jade. I was excited for the alexandrite because it’s my favorite gemstone.
What a fun combination! Love the little cat’s eye and all are lovely:)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought two garnets from Seda Gems at 50% off. A 6mm pink octagonal round rhodalite and a 8 X 7 oval purple. They're both pretty, but I expected the pink to be a little pinker and a little lighter than it is. It's a little more purple-y pink and slightly darker, but I still like it. At times it has a copper-y flashes. The oval is a deep purple with pretty red flashes. The only thing I'm not too thrilled with, is that I thought it was 8 X 6 which would have made it easier to find a stock setting. Not the vendor's fault at all, I just wished I'd picked up on that. The price for both gems was very reasonable, so I don't think I'm going to return them. Both appear very well cut.

Here's the pink in two different lights. The first is under an incandescent lamp and the second one is under LED bulbs in a ceiling fixture.

Seda Gems Mahenge Pink Garnet 3.jpg Seda Gems Mahenge Pink Garnet 4.jpg
Here's the purple oval:
Seda Gems Purple Garnet.jpg
Here are the two together with my 18k yellow and 14 white gold bands:
Seda Gems Garnets 4.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely greens all around! What will you do with that large nephrite cab? It looks like it will make a gorgeous pendant worn on a long cord.

I bought two garnets from Seda Gems at 50% off. A 6mm pink octagonal round rhodalite and a 8 X 7 oval purple. They're both pretty, but I expected the pink to be a little pinker and a little lighter than it is. It's a little more purple-y pink and slightly darker, but I still like it. At times it has a copper-y flashes. The oval is a deep purple with pretty red flashes. The only thing I'm not too thrilled with, is that I thought it was 8 X 6 which would have made it easier to find a stock setting. Not the vendor's fault at all, I just wished I'd picked up on that. The price for both gems was very reasonable, so I don't think I'm going to return them. Both appear very well cut.

Here's the pink in two different lights. The first is under an incandescent lamp and the second one is under LED bulbs in a ceiling fixture.

Here's the purple oval:
Seda Gems Garnets 4.jpg

I think both stones are very pretty! Coppery flashes sound cool. I think you might be able to find stock settings for a roval of 8x7, try checking eBay.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
@peacechick thanks. I have no idea. The only thing I’ve set so far is the topaz, by myself, because it’s calibrated and cheap. The only experience I have with cabochon is glueing a plastic one onto brass. :lol-2: I’m looking for setting vendors. The tourmaline can be put into a snap tite, but with the color, that would be a shame.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW you got some lovely stones!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's the purple oval:
Seda Gems Garnets 4.jpg

VERY nice! I think the pink stone can go with white or yellow metal. I personally prefer the purple stone with yellow. I'd love to see how you decide to set them.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to post my Black Friday purchase over here...in the thread I started. :shifty: :oops:
So I don’t have it yet because it’s being resized but I wanted to share anyway. It’s a beautiful Fueilles Dorees ring from @ElleW at The Gemstone Project featuring a 1.07ct tsavorite garnet. :mrgreen2:

I totally blame @natasha-cupcake for unwittingly enabling me into buying this ring. I never knew I needed a ring from @ElleW until I saw Natasha’s absolutely delectable Pad ring. I could not get it out of my head. I’m a huge fan of blues & greens so when this popped up I jumped on it like a voracious puma...and I’m not even a little embarrassed to say that. :lol:

AD8AD799-0B63-4B26-A751-A81092847CAC.jpeg

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to post my Black Friday purchase over here...in the thread I started. :shifty: :oops:
So I don’t have it yet because it’s being resized but I wanted to share anyway. It’s a beautiful Fueilles Dorees ring from @ElleW at The Gemstone Project featuring a 1.07ct tsavorite garnet. :mrgreen2:

I totally blame @natasha-cupcake for unwittingly enabling me into buying this ring. I never knew I needed a ring from @ElleW until I saw Natasha’s absolutely delectable Pad ring. I could not get it out of my head. I’m a huge fan of blues & greens so when this popped up I jumped on it like a voracious puma...and I’m not even a little embarrassed to say that. :lol:

Gorgeous! Of course I love it!! My pad was actually first set in this exact setting. The bench mistakenly made the entire halo in rose gold instead of white gold with rose gold bezel. So Elle had them make a new setting with the metals as we originally planned it. She had this lovely tsavorite laying around, hence this beautiful ring! I'm so happy you bought it. Now our rings can be fraternal twins. :P2

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

*drool* well, I never knew I needed a sea foam tourmaline until I saw your rings, so now I have a custom order for one. :lol-2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@peacechick thanks. I have no idea. The only thing I’ve set so far is the topaz, by myself, because it’s calibrated and cheap. The only experience I have with cabochon is glueing a plastic one onto brass. :lol-2: I’m looking for setting vendors. The tourmaline can be put into a snap tite, but with the color, that would be a shame.

Have you checked out the self setting thread in Fashion Jewelry? For gold settings, I think Ivy & Rose (MyDiamondZone on eBay) and DiamondMounts are good. Lord of Gem Rings used to be popular at one point but I heard quality has gone down.

If you want to be slightly adventurous you can try custom-making a setting from Tianyu or an Indian vendor like DiamondRensu. It’s a fraction of the cost but of course results can be hit or miss.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out the self setting thread in Fashion Jewelry? For gold settings, I think Ivy & Rose (MyDiamondZone on eBay) and DiamondMounts are good. Lord of Gem Rings used to be popular at one point but I heard quality has gone down.

If you want to be slightly adventurous you can try custom-making a setting from Tianyu or an Indian vendor like DiamondRensu. It’s a fraction of the cost but of course results can be hit or miss.

Thanks. I’ve contacted theresapytell on Etsy, but she is booked until January. One has to be patient. :kiss2: And then I have a fantasy cut seafoam tourmaline from thebeardedgemcutter coming in February. What have you done to me, Pricescope?? So many stones, so little settings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results