shape
carat
color
clarity

BLACK BY BG EMERALD - CUTS SO GOOD

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask DBL to do a video of the stone so we can see how the steps are working.

I could not get the video of the GOG stone to come up...is it working for others? If there is not a video available ask GOG for a video of the stone.

*I would not buy an EC without seeing how the facets light up (video)...to me, thats one of the most important things about an EC.

OFY

Rough_Rock
Ask DBL to do a video of the stone so we can see how the steps are working.

I could not get the video of the GOG stone to come up...is it working for others? If there is not a video available ask GOG for a video of the stone.

*I would not buy an EC without seeing how the facets light up (video)...to me, thats one of the most important things about an EC.

I've almost never been able to get good old videos to work, only a few have ever worked and none in the past few months

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a diamond I found on JA today. It's a J in color but looks from in my eyes it could pass for a I color. What are your thoughts on this diamond?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.30-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3652139
For me it would be a pass. I don't like how many facets (N/S/E and W) are black and unmoving/untwinkling at the same time. Having a slight pause like that is fine but it seemed to last for a while.
Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 3.12.10 PM.png

*Did you inquire about videos for the other ones??

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
Yes, they will be sending me images/videos today. I will speaking with Karl at DBL this afternoon.

I will upload images once I receive them.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
Btw, what is a bowtie and where do you see that on this diamond?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This talk of 2 carats. I never go by carats any more, but by mm.
You can have a 2 carat that is smaller than, for instance, a 1.85.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, what is a bowtie and where do you see that on this diamond?
AFCF65BB-EC27-4914-BFB6-95B54D36185D.jpeg
Do you see it now? It’s phenomenon specific to fancy cut diamonds. Some are barely noticeable while others are very prominent. People have a varying levels of tolerance for them, so you need to figure out what yours is. For me, I like very little bowtie.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
@ILikeShiny thanks for pointing g that out. The picture of the bow tie was really helpful. I didn't notice the pattern prior to you bringing it up, but now I see it and I'm not a fan either. Thanks for the explanation.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please also call ID Jewelry in NYC. Identify yourself as a pricescope member. See what they can find that’s close to your criteria. I have a hunch that she really wants to hit the 2ctw. IDK if I’m right, but personally I’d go down in color first, clarity second ....... Just me.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
This talk of 2 carats. I never go by carats any more, but by mm.
You can have a 2 carat that is smaller than, for instance, a 1.85.

If I got a dollar for each time I have had that conversation with my future wife, I would be able to afford a 2 carat D/IF by now and wouldn't be asking for help. I think I have convinced her to meet me a quarter ways. She is open to going down a little(+1.75 carats) for a higher color/clarity.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
@ILikeShiny here is a link to a video from DBL on a diamond they selected for me to view:

2.05 carat
j vs2
Table: 61
Depth: 67.6
Ratio :1.353
Size in mm: 8.35x6.17x4.17

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny here is a link to a video from DBL on a diamond they selected for me to view:

Okay (again, just my opinion), I'm not that impressed with the DBL stone. It's just not making me giddy when I look at it.

Of the four from JA you shared, without question this one is my favorite - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3728613. Great balance of colors, faceting, and minimal bowtie.

But I REALLY want to see a video of the one from GOG. Will they be sending one?

And yes, reach out to IDJ too!

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay (again, just my opinion), I'm not that impressed with the DBL stone. It's just not making me giddy when I look at it.

Of the four from JA you shared, without question this one is my favorite - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3728613. Great balance of colors, faceting, and minimal bowtie.
I agree re: the DBL stone.

re: that JA one, I was thinking that there's perhaps not as much contrast in the middle section as there could be?

I think it's personal taste to a certain extent, though - for example, I like the thinner faceting effects on this one (and ones like it):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.30-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3652139
rather than the fatter faceting of this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.03-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3138407

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree re: the DBL stone.

re: that JA one, I was thinking that there's perhaps not as much contrast in the middle section as there could be?

I think it's personal taste to a certain extent, though - for example, I like the thinner faceting effects on this one (and ones like it):
rather than the fatter faceting of this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.03-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3138407
I went back to look at the 2.02 stone and totally see what you’re saying. And I agree. I missed that the first time. I was looking for absence of bow tie and neglected to take in to account absence of any contrast.

@DMDSR4EVER - I’m changing my vote. Like @OoohShiny, I like 2.30 the best for the reason he gave. The thinner facets allows more play of light and interest compared to the 2.03 stone. Plus the 2.03 has a section towards the center that goes black at the same time.

4D79207A-084C-426F-8E46-8B79EC458B34.jpeg
2.03 diamond. See all the facets that are “off” at the same time?

Versus the 2.30...
9DB43243-9D29-4F47-8675-C53EB856AD1E.jpeg

And when I asked for the GOG video, I was referring to the J diamond you’d posted from them on page 1. Are they not able to get you a video for that one?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AFCF65BB-EC27-4914-BFB6-95B54D36185D.jpeg
Do you see it now? It’s phenomenon specific to fancy cut diamonds. Some are barely noticeable while others are very prominent. People have a varying levels of tolerance for them, so you need to figure out what yours is. For me, I like very little bowtie.

This made my day :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.3 J VS2 at James Allen. It has a thick girdle and doesn't face up a huge amount larger than some of the others, but there's something mentally appealing about the higher weight.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
I went back to look at the 2.02 stone and totally see what you’re saying. And I agree. I missed that the first time. I was looking for absence of bow tie and neglected to take in to account absence of any contrast.

@DMDSR4EVER - I’m changing my vote. Like @OoohShiny, I like 2.30 the best for the reason he gave. The thinner facets allows more play of light and interest compared to the 2.03 stone. Plus the 2.03 has a section towards the center that goes black at the same time.

4D79207A-084C-426F-8E46-8B79EC458B34.jpeg
2.03 diamond. See all the facets that are “off” at the same time?

Versus the 2.30...
9DB43243-9D29-4F47-8675-C53EB856AD1E.jpeg

And when I asked for the GOG video, I was referring to the J diamond you’d posted from them on page 1. Are they not able to get you a video for that one?

They are having technical issues with the video feature on their website. I will repost the link once they fix it. I am anxiously waiting to see it too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG may not have that stone in-house. It says "on memo", which I think means they don't own the stone. That's why it has a 10 day return period and no upgrade policy. And probably why they don't have a video. They might have to get the stone in to do that. Or did they tell you they have it in-house?

I still like the 2.3 better. I like the proportions better and it is very slightly larger. With either stone, you are going to need to propose within the return period in case she doesn't like J color.

I just this one on JA. It's shorter and wider than what my girlfriend prefers but I like the cut on it. Also, there's a big inclusion listed on the cert. To me it's barely visible even from the magnified video. Is it noticeable to you?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.26-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-3656793

That one is going to be visibly smaller. Don't do it. You already have a great first and second choice.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+ 1 more vote for the 2.3ct J VS2 - it is a pretty emerald cut!

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
GOG may not have that stone in-house. It says "on memo", which I think means they don't own the stone. That's why it has a 10 day return period and no upgrade policy. And probably why they don't have a video. They might have to get the stone in to do that. Or did they tell you they have it in-house?

I still like the 2.3 better. I like the proportions better and it is very slightly larger. With either stone, you are going to need to propose within the return period in case she doesn't like J color.

That one is going to be visibly smaller. Don't do it. You already have a great first and second choice.

GOG is bringing in the diamond tomorrow. I will post images once I receive them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results