shape
carat
color
clarity

BLACK BY BG EMERALD - CUTS SO GOOD

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
Would like to get your opinion on this BGD:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....447-d-vs2-emerald-diamond-bkags-104096347008

My budget is $12,000. This is slightly over but I can pull it off. My dilemma is that my fiancé would like a 2 carat emerald cut diamond. However, the majority of the 2 carat emerald cut diamonds I have seen online are in the middle of the color and clarity scale with decent cuts. Personally, I would sacrifice weight over cut. I love the way this diamond is cut and the optics it shows in the videos.

Do you think she would you be disappointed that it's not 2 carats given how beautiful the diamond is cut and how well the diamond performs?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's something only your partner will be able to tell you - us PS converts would likely be happy, but Jo(e) Public may need educating through exposure to ideal cut options.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. - You don't need to SHOUT ;-)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since your girlfriend has indicated 2ct is her thing I would seriously discuss with her first about going smaller. It is such a personal thing and different people prioritize different things. Some people want super ideal cuts and are willing to compromise on clarity / size. Others are ok with an excellent cut but want a high color etc etc.

Have you considered reaching out to Diamonds by Lauren (DBL) or ID jewelry to see what they can find in your budget? Both are respected vendors on PS. DBL has @Karl_K working for them and he designed the Octavia asscher, so between him and the owner @Rockdiamond they could probably find a good stone for you. Id jewelry is known for working amazing things within budget. They are both in the diamond district so could pull stones for you to see.

Goodoldgold on Long Island has also picked some amazing ECs, although I believe they do charge for bringing in diamonds for examination. I am not updated on their policies so best to check with them!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love the diamond you’ve picked but as others have indicated it’s hard to say what your gf would feel about the size.
TBH I don’t think your budget will stretch to a 2ct emerald without going down in color, clarity or cut. It’s a very personal decision as others above have indicated. What’s more important for you/your gf? I had to go down to I colour or SI1 on JA for a 2ct emerald <12k and they did not look nice...
I know the smaller better cut would be my choice

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s important to remember this is for her not you. If she wants a large diamond I’d do my best to accommodate that if possible. You haven’t, however, said what color or clarity she wants. If she insists on colorless- you’re not going to tick every box unfortunately. But I’d she is happy with a lower color- you can get 1.8 ish in your range (which is noticeably larger than 1.4). It’s a matter of knowing what she wants and getting it rather than getting what you think is “best for her”

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are amazing SI clarity ECs that doesn't affect the performance of the diamond. @Matthews1127 G, SI2 comes to mind, as well as @Rubies-R-Me's 7 carat SI3 EC (I believe her inclusion was hidden under a prong so it's eye clean). Both of these are not common, but also proof that it is possible.

There was also a thread recently about how some warm ECs face up white. The below is a pic from a jeweler showing 5 to 6 carats in I and J colors. If your girlfriend is open to going down in color / clarity while ensuring it's eyeclean, a jeweler with a good eye might be able to help you find something lovely and large while sticking to your budget.

22580448_127114151282385_2732507950911324160_n(1).jpg

Edit to add @Niel posted a lovely stone within budget above!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are amazing SI clarity ECs that doesn't affect the performance of the diamond. @Matthews1127 G, SI2 comes to mind, as well as @Rubies-R-Me's 7 carat SI3 EC (I believe her inclusion was hidden under a prong so it's eye clean). Both of these are not common, but also proof that it is possible.

There was also a thread recently about how some warm ECs face up white. The below is a pic from a jeweler showing 5 to 6 carats in I and J colors. If your girlfriend is open to going down in color / clarity while ensuring it's eyeclean, a jeweler with a good eye might be able to help you find something lovely and large while sticking to your budget.

22580448_127114151282385_2732507950911324160_n(1).jpg

Edit to add @Niel posted a lovely stone within budget above!

Thank you for the complimentary mention, @Alexiszoe!

Indeed, there are “unicorns” out there. Finding one takes a lot of time, and a seemingly endless search through dozens!
Admitedly, in person purchases, and online purchases are two very different beasts; online shopping is far more involved in order to ensure you’re getting the quality you’re expecting.
My EC was selected in person, and we were able to examine it under magnification, and up close with the naked eye, in store. We were very fortunate to stumble upon her, and I admire her every single day; I still get warm fuzzies...lol! :lol-2:
That being said, if I were making an online purchase (which I recently did with Yoram at gemconcepts), I would keep my clarity grade for any step cut around the VS+ range. Color, however, is a different ball game.
Step cuts tend to show more body color, depending on their cut & symmetry. Most near-colorless to tinted stones face up white; my G looks like an F...VERY white. Don’t be afraid to consider G-I EC’s.
SYMMETRY and CUT will be your main focus, when dealing with a step cut stone, in order to maximize its true performing nature. Let’s be clear: EC’s have decent spread, but fancies don’t typically have the top-heavy, positive spread in diameter that MRB’s have; you will likely lose size for Cut, to some degree...but in comparison, not by much. A higher performing stone will out-shine an average cut, larger stone every day of the week! The last thing you want to do is put what appears to be a piece of glass on her finger! EC’s are supposed to be crisp & clear, but they deliver flash & sparkle like no other, if they’re cut properly, and have excellent symmetry. Sacrificing some size for brilliance/flash is worth it, if it’s something SHE can compromise. Remember: 2ct range is 1.97-2.11ct. Coming in right under 2ct can save your budget, and still give you a hell of a honker!
I’d TRY to look for:
1.9-1.99ct
G-I color
VS+ clarity
EX Symmetry
EX Cut
EX Polish
If you have an opportunity to shop in person, LOOK at EC’s with SI clarity. Some can be so minimally borderline, like mine; every jeweler & appraiser who has touched my EC is baffled that she’s SI2 graded. We got better quality for less; the appraisal came back in my favor. Stats aren’t everything, and you can’t judge a stone by it’s certificate.

You should really have an open conversation with your FI to be clear on what her priorities are, and which of the 4C’s she is willing to compromise in order to ensure you get what she wants...not necessarily what you THINK she wants. This rock will stare at her every day of her life (until she decides to upgrade or change it). You need to make sure every time she stares back, she smiles & her heart skips a beat. ;)2
Reaching out to @Karl_K at Diamonds by Lauren, Good Old Gold, or Yoram at GemConcepts would be my first step. Karl and Yoram designed & cut the Octavia Asscher Diamond, and have MAD knowledge about step cut diamonds. I am positive they can find something that meets your needs, that will blow your mind!! Good Old Gold is also extremely knowledgeable, and their customer service is impeccable!
Each has their own policies re: sourcing stones, Return & upgrade policies. Always best to ask as many questions as possible, and get as much info as you can before committing. Yoram was an absolute treasure to work with! I’d recommend him to anyone looking for loose diamonds, or for a custom cut stone! He is fabulous!
Apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to cover as much as possible, here. This is a large purchase, and one that should say “forever”. You want to be certain this diamond speaks to her in all of the ways you want it to.
If you would like my help in your search, I’m happy to help. Reaching out to the experts that have been mentioned would be your best starting position.
Once they find some options for you, feel free to post them here, and we can help you evaluate them to narrow your choices.
This is so very exciting, and I’m so happy to be able to share in your quest for your beautiful EC!!
I can’t wait to see what you choose!!! :mrgreen2:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/

http://instagram.com/gemconcepts

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Matthews1127.

The stone you picked out is do die for, and it has a larger spread so it will look larger than 1.4 carats.

HOWEVER, if your intended has her heart set on 2 carats, this may come up short.

Brian Gavin Black is certainly an excellent choice as well, so try to feel her out if she would be willing do go down a tad in size for a high quality diamond that ticks all her other boxes.

Has she seen a GIA J color emerald? I would suggest not going J unless she has seen a few in person and is agreeable. In a MRB-- like a superideal whiteflash J-- gorgeous and looks white. Emerald cut with a J- - could be tricky....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS... my asscher cut diamond is a G VS1 that is very white so after playing with all the puzzle pieces, for me the G color gave the best white option with a better value than a D color (though I get it-- I LOVE my super white E studs).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3006.PNG I don't have time to look and really examine, so I just pulled this one from Blue Nile-- just to have something else to look at:
LD08556590 1.71 D SI 1 it does have a mark on the table but it is clear.... anyway not much of a selection there in your price range and size...

$11,678

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3008.PNG

1.77 E VS2 $9643 strong blue
LD09788879

Like I said, I'm rushing so just throwing these up. Everyone else can vet them...

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:wavey:As someone who's dream ring was a 2ct round ~ I can say with confidence if she really wants 2ct she won't be over the moon about a stone that isn't. Now, having said that ~ if budget restricts you (as it initially did me) you can purchase less than 2ct now and discuss upgrading in the future (make sure to purchase from a place with a nice upgrade policy). That's what I did ~ my ring is a BGD and I LOVE it ~ beyond words. My initial purchase and upgrade was a great experience ~ their customer service was wonderful to deal with.
Another thing ~ while I have no doubt that BG black diamond would be to die for, I know I would rather have a larger stone, all his stones are pretty amazing so you can't go wrong.

In any case, the fact that you are putting so much thought into this is really awesome and should definitely score some points from the future fiance! :D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:As someone who's dream ring was a 2ct round ~ I can say with confidence if she really wants 2ct she won't be over the moon about a stone that isn't. Now, having said that ~ if budget restricts you (as it initially did me) you can purchase less than 2ct now and discuss upgrading in the future (make sure to purchase from a place with a nice upgrade policy). That's what I did ~ my ring is a BGD and I LOVE it ~ beyond words. My initial purchase and upgrade was a great experience ~ their customer service was wonderful to deal with.
Another thing ~ while I have no doubt that BG black diamond would be to die for, I know I would rather have a larger stone, all his stones are pretty amazing so you can't go wrong.

In any case, the fact that you are putting so much thought into this is really awesome and should definitely score some points from the future fiance! :D
He only has 2 emeralds in black and the other one is 35k.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3862.PNG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love the BGD emerald, I have personally been trying to find a reason to buy one lol However, I can also see your fiance-to-be's want for a 2ct stone and I think that it is important to know if she would rather have a 1.5ish colorless branded stone, or an appx 2ct emerald cut in the near colorless range.
Also, I am not sure what kind of setting you are going for, but a delicate halo will increase the overall coverage, for example.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The limitations demonstrated, above, explains why you should reach out to a vendor, directly, and ask them to source EC’s according to your preferences. Then, once that step is done, post the potential stones so we can help you choose a winner.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the complimentary mention, @Alexiszoe!

Indeed, there are “unicorns” out there. Finding one takes a lot of time, and a seemingly endless search through dozens!
Admitedly, in person purchases, and online purchases are two very different beasts; online shopping is far more involved in order to ensure you’re getting the quality you’re expecting.
My EC was selected in person, and we were able to examine it under magnification, and up close with the naked eye, in store. We were very fortunate to stumble upon her, and I admire her every single day; I still get warm fuzzies...lol! :lol-2:
That being said, if I were making an online purchase (which I recently did with Yoram at gemconcepts), I would keep my clarity grade for any step cut around the VS+ range. Color, however, is a different ball game.
Step cuts tend to show more body color, depending on their cut & symmetry. Most near-colorless to tinted stones face up white; my G looks like an F...VERY white. Don’t be afraid to consider G-I EC’s.
SYMMETRY and CUT will be your main focus, when dealing with a step cut stone, in order to maximize its true performing nature. Let’s be clear: EC’s have decent spread, but fancies don’t typically have the top-heavy, positive spread in diameter that MRB’s have; you will likely lose size for Cut, to some degree...but in comparison, not by much. A higher performing stone will out-shine an average cut, larger stone every day of the week! The last thing you want to do is put what appears to be a piece of glass on her finger! EC’s are supposed to be crisp & clear, but they deliver flash & sparkle like no other, if they’re cut properly, and have excellent symmetry. Sacrificing some size for brilliance/flash is worth it, if it’s something SHE can compromise. Remember: 2ct range is 1.97-2.11ct. Coming in right under 2ct can save your budget, and still give you a hell of a honker!
I’d TRY to look for:
1.9-1.99ct
G-I color
VS+ clarity
EX Symmetry
EX Cut
EX Polish
If you have an opportunity to shop in person, LOOK at EC’s with SI clarity. Some can be so minimally borderline, like mine; every jeweler & appraiser who has touched my EC is baffled that she’s SI2 graded. We got better quality for less; the appraisal came back in my favor. Stats aren’t everything, and you can’t judge a stone by it’s certificate.

You should really have an open conversation with your FI to be clear on what her priorities are, and which of the 4C’s she is willing to compromise in order to ensure you get what she wants...not necessarily what you THINK she wants. This rock will stare at her every day of her life (until she decides to upgrade or change it). You need to make sure every time she stares back, she smiles & her heart skips a beat. ;)2
Reaching out to @Karl_K at Diamonds by Lauren, Good Old Gold, or Yoram at GemConcepts would be my first step. Karl and Yoram designed & cut the Octavia Asscher Diamond, and have MAD knowledge about step cut diamonds. I am positive they can find something that meets your needs, that will blow your mind!! Good Old Gold is also extremely knowledgeable, and their customer service is impeccable!
Each has their own policies re: sourcing stones, Return & upgrade policies. Always best to ask as many questions as possible, and get as much info as you can before committing. Yoram was an absolute treasure to work with! I’d recommend him to anyone looking for loose diamonds, or for a custom cut stone! He is fabulous!
Apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to cover as much as possible, here. This is a large purchase, and one that should say “forever”. You want to be certain this diamond speaks to her in all of the ways you want it to.
If you would like my help in your search, I’m happy to help. Reaching out to the experts that have been mentioned would be your best starting position.
Once they find some options for you, feel free to post them here, and we can help you evaluate them to narrow your choices.
This is so very exciting, and I’m so happy to be able to share in your quest for your beautiful EC!!
I can’t wait to see what you choose!!! :mrgreen2:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/

http://instagram.com/gemconcepts

Gia does not have excellent cut designation for fancy cuts like emeralds.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1117.JPG A big THANK YOU to the PS community for all your input and advice. I did take your advice and have a discussion with my girlfriend to find out what are the non-negotiables. They are the following in order of importance:

1. Carat weight(1.90-2.00)
2. Color(as close to colorless as budget allows)
3. L/W ratio(1.40-1.45); she prefers a longer look vs a more square look

I also followed your advice and reached out to David and Karl at DBL as well as David at Good Old Gold. They were all very easy to talk on the phone and are in the process of looking for a diamond for me. I just received info. on this diamond(pictured above with the ASET image)from Karl:

2.05 Carat
J/VS2
1.35 ratio

Additionally, I found this diamond on Good Old Gold's website:

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.00-Emerald-N-GIA-J-VS1-diamond-stock-16329-cert-

I would appreciate your thoughts on these 2 diamonds.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think both are beauties, although the L:W ratio for the GOG stone falls within what your girlfriend wants, while the DBL one would be a little bit chubbier.

Do you intend to upgrade the diamond for e.g. X year anniversary or special occasion years down the road? If that might be a consideration, it would be worthwhile to ask each vendor about their upgrade policies. I know some vendors applies their upgrade / buyback policies for branded stones only, while others are a bit more broad.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she wants a 2 carat then there are some decisions to make-together. Wait and save up to buy the better quality 2 carat and delay the purchase. Good things come to those who wait. Or talk to her about budget , quality and size and of course setting. Don't set yourself or her for disappointment at the start. If it is an engagement ring and there are issues as to compromise then they need to be made -together. I had my heart set on either an emerald cut or an oval and would not compromise on quality. I never saw an EC that met my criteria. I chose an oval and have never regretted my selection. IMHO an engagement ring is a forever ring. You can buy other diamond rings.....

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you had the talk with your girlfriend; now you have clear guidance on what’s important to her =)2

I like the look of the GOG ASET better; there seems to be more of a dead zone in the DBL one. Plus the GOG stone has medium fluorescence, so there’s a good chance it will appear whiter than a J. Could you get videos of each of them? That’s the real show. GOG will usually provide views in several types of lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results