shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth control & your libido (sex drive)... FYI

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:43:38 AM
Author: Cleopatra
Thanks for posting this thread - it''s actually something I''ve been wondering about for a few months now.

I''ve been on the pill for 5 years now. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 years, then switched to Lo-Estrin 24 a year ago - I''ve noticed a tremendous drop in my libido over the past year - and I don''t know if it''s due to my BC switch - or that my body is decreasing it''s drive after being on hormones for so long. Looks like I''ll need to visit my gyno for these questions.

I''d LOVE to get off the pill - my DH isn''t too keen on that idea - because we aren''t ready for kids just yet.

What other options are there? Besides condoms...

I practically mirror your story..... I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 4 years and now I switched to Microgestin 1.5/ 30 (Generic for Loestrin.) and I have been on it for almost 3 years.

My libido is just GONE!!! FI is getting frustrated so, like many of you, I have to give myself a "pep talk" in to having sex, which was NEVER a problem before.....

Thanks for starting this thread!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 1:31:56 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29
Date: 11/18/2008 12:22:17 PM

Author: musey

I''ll ditto this and what PilsnPinkysMom said about being able to predict ovulation. Lots of people get pregnant while using FAM, LOTS! My husband and I have always used both BCP and condoms, and I''m actually quite nervous about reducing that to just condoms. I know that their rate of effectiveness is quite high, but I''m used to having a combined effectiveness of about 196%
3.gif
so dropping to, what, 98%?... is nerve-wracking.

If we were in a good position for having children I wouldn''t care, I''d take the 2% chance happily. But since we''re absolutely not ready, I have trouble letting go of my BCP (for that reason and the aforementioned cramping & irregular periods).

Musey, you are in my head! We also use both because we are terrified of an unplanned pregnancy. We always said when we got married the condoms would go and I would stay on BC, but now I''m rethinking it. We don''t want to get pregnant until 2 years after we are married, but I''m scared of not doing FAM the correct way.

Does anyone know if IUDs and other types of BC''s cause as many problems with hormones/libido?

I posted above with my experience with the Mirena IUD. In terms of libido, I am always ready to go!
3.gif
I do feel like it has made my hormones wacky... enough so that after having it for 2 years, I am thinking seriously about having it removed. The other IUD is a copper IUD that is good for 10 years with no hormones. Not sure if anyone has tried that one to give more info...

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Wow very cool that I am not alone....

I was also looking into IUD the ones that are non-hormonal.

Anyone have any experience with these?

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
First of all, hello fellow pharmacy student! Thanks for starting this topic!

I''ve been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO for four years now with no noticible problems. Sure my libido is probably a little lower, after all, I don''t (I hope I don''t
12.gif
) ovulate anymore! But it''s still fine. It''s categorized under one of the "better" pills right?

I don''t think women are designed to "go" at the drop of a hat like men are. Like a lot of you I love sex but rarely initiate. I dunno if it''s the Pill doing this or if it''s just the way I am (I think the latter). When BF is being pushy, I tell him, "I''m not like a light switch, ok??" lol. So ladies, don''t put such high expectations on yourselves. It''s normal not to be like a light switch!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 4:53:59 PM
Author: fuzzers
First of all, hello fellow pharmacy student! Thanks for starting this topic!

I''ve been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO for four years now with no noticible problems. Sure my libido is probably a little lower, after all, I don''t (I hope I don''t
12.gif
) ovulate anymore! But it''s still fine. It''s categorized under one of the ''better'' pills right?

I don''t think women are designed to ''go'' at the drop of a hat like men are. Like a lot of you I love sex but rarely initiate. I dunno if it''s the Pill doing this or if it''s just the way I am (I think the latter). When BF is being pushy, I tell him, ''I''m not like a light switch, ok??'' lol. So ladies, don''t put such high expectations on yourselves. It''s normal not to be like a light switch!

LOL! Believe me, I tell FF all the time I''m not a light switch. Glad to hear you''re not having any negative side effects.

For me, it''s really gotten to the point where I''ll go months without thinking about sex, whereas I used to initiate pretty regularly. It''s upsetting for me. It''s not a matter of not initiating, I''m just flat out not in the mood. Ever. It used to be more of an issue of trying to get HIM in the mood than me. It''s a real bummer.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Interesting article! I take Yaz (started on Yasmin, going for 6 years straight) and a beta blocker, so I guess that explains a lot. I just feel trapped bc I can''t stop taking my bb and I love how yaz improved my mood, cleared my skin, and improved the look of my (ahem) assets so I don''t want to go off BCPs until I start trying to get pregnant.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think women are designed to 'go' at the drop of a hat like men are. Like a lot of you I love sex but rarely initiate. I dunno if it's the Pill doing this or if it's just the way I am (I think the latter). When BF is being pushy, I tell him, 'I'm not like a light switch, ok??' lol. So ladies, don't put such high expectations on yourselves. It's normal not to be like a light switch!
Normally I would agree with you, but I WAS like a light switch until about two years into our relationship and two years into BCP. This also coincided with our moving in together. Don't know which had the strongest bearing on my 'switch' getting stuck...

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 5:55:05 PM

I don''t think women are designed to ''go'' at the drop of a hat like men are. Like a lot of you I love sex but rarely initiate. I dunno if it''s the Pill doing this or if it''s just the way I am (I think the latter). When BF is being pushy, I tell him, ''I''m not like a light switch, ok??'' lol. So ladies, don''t put such high expectations on yourselves. It''s normal not to be like a light switch!

Normally I would agree with you, but I WAS like a light switch until about two years into our relationship and two years into BCP. This also coincided with our moving in together. Don''t know which had the strongest bearing on my ''switch'' getting stuck...

Interesting point Musey - I was also a "lightswitch" until we moved in together - hmm...

I''m going to make an appointment with my doc to see if she thinks it a BC problem - if it is, DH and I have already talked about other options - as we don''t need a little cleo/mr. cleo running around just yet!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it''s a mental thing--once you can have it any time, you stop wanting it all the time?
shrug1.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll be honest that women do have a reputation for not having much of a sex drive after marriage. I know it may just be a stereotype the old "I have a headache" excuse, but I am starting to feel like that woman! I''ve been with DH 9 years! We still do it more than a lot of people I know (couple of times a week). But maybe I just don''t feel like I need it all the time. May very well be from the BC, I don''t know. I guess I''ll try and go off it and see.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Sorry for the TMI-when FI and I were first dating-4.5 years ago, we were like animals, now our sex life SUCKS and I thought there was something wrong with me...uh I am on Ovcon after being on LoEstrin...I need to get off these pills! Thanks for the info Amanda!!

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 6:14:44 PM
Maybe it''s a mental thing--once you can have it any time, you stop wanting it all the time?
shrug1.gif
I think you''re right. I only see SO on weekends so there''s some pent up anticipation during the week. Might not be so if we were living together...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have heard this before, but it doesn't seem to apply to me. I have been on birth control for 13 years, and I still want to... "have fun" A LOT. If it is affecting me, I think if I went off of it neither my husband or I would ever get to work!!
28.gif

Does it make sense that it would have a different effect on one person than another?

ETA- I think that a lot of the "i have a headache" stuff is just that... Life gets busy and hectic, and sometimes (when you have a real job, kids, extra-curricular stuff, school, etc...) you are tired and/or have a headache!!! Life is busy!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
im on the depo provera shot. i have a pretty low drive. i wonder if it is from the hormones after reading your post. hhmm i have been on it for so long i am not sure what my natural drive is. i havent had a period for 8 years because of the shot. thats the major reason i havent stopped getting it. my period puts me down for days. i cannot not go to work for 3 days every month because i have my visitor. i guess even if it is the cause of low libido i wouldnt stop getting it. is there anything out there that can help boost it. like herbal supplements or somthing?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if we''re all in the TMI boat here''s mine: I was on the depo for TEN YEARS. Yes kids, that''s a DECADE. My sex drive was NON-FRICKIN-EXISTENT. Got my last shot in October, which wore off in January, and by May (or so) I was starting to be "normal" again. My god--what was I thinking for those ten years?!? Sex is a good thing. No--a GREAT--thing and I really missed it!!!

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
One note, there''s a lot of misinformation about NFP. It''s NOT the rhythm method, especially if you and your SO learn the Creighton method. There''s a lot that observing the cervical mucus and body temperature can do to indicate fertile and non-fertile periods (as well as prepare you for mood swings). For couples who are avoiding pregnancy, abstaining for those 3-5 fertile days is as effective as the pill and for couples wishing to have a baby, it helps them to better plan a pregnancy or monitor the situation if they are having difficulty. For couples who wish to have a baby down the road, NFP will help them to plan a pregnancy when they are ready, whereas the pill takes months to return to fertility mode.

Understanding ones natural fertile signs (NOT tracking calendar days) enables a woman to better inform her OB/GYN before having to take fertility pills if she is trying to get pregnant. Other benefits of NFP include recognizing signs of ovarian or cervical cancer before it''s too late. I know a couple of friends who swear by the Creighton method to both avoid pregnancy as well as to achieve a pregnancy and i think there will be more studies indicating success in the future.

http://www.fertilitycare.org/

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
WOW... OK... that was a huge response and I apologize for not checking the board earlier today. I will do my best to address those issues that I can. Keep in mind, I am still a student (granted I will have my doctorate in 1.5 years).

A few things that I read about:

1. Concern of stopping birth control due to fear of getting pregnant/what other options are there?: If you have been on BCP for a long time, you can probably figure out when your period will start each month. If you stop taking it, it will mess your cycle up and you will not be regular. I was used to having on every 4th Wednesday, and when I stopped, I went as long as 6 weeks before my period started. I had almost convinced myself that I was pregnant and I still have an arsenal of pregnancy tests in my bathroom closet. It will (hopefully) correct itself over time. As IWannaPrettyOne stated, you really can only get pregnant 3-4 days per cycle. Birth control pills STOP you from ovulating (or releasing an egg). Day 1 of your period is day 1 of your monthly cycle. A woman *typically* ovulates around day 12-14 of her cycle. Once you ovulate, the egg is only viable for 24-48 hours (typically 24 hours). After that, it dies, and you cannot concieve. Sperm, however, can live up to 7 days (typically 3-5 days) in the female reproductive system. Therefore, if you ovulate on day 14 and you have unprotected sex on day 7, you *could* still get pregnant. The closer you have sex to your ovulation day, the more likely you are to get pregnant. So how do you know that you''ve ovulated? Many women who choose not to use hormonal or barrier methods use a method called "Natural Family Planning" or NFP. NFP can be divided into 5 methods: calendar, basal body temperature, cervical mucus, standard days, symptothermal. Each method requires the woman to keep detailed records of her menstural cycles and if done correctly, the woman may be able to predict her most fertile time of the month.
Calendar Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 9% the length of your menstrual cycle should be recorded for 6-12 months. The first fertile day in a women''s menstrual cycle is calculated by subtracting 18 from the number of days in her shortest cycle. The last fertile day is calculated by subtracting 11 from the number of days in her longest cycle.
Basal Body Temp (BBT) accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 1%- This is effective only at determining the END of the fertile phase and is not accurate in predicting the beginning of the phase. This method requires the women to check her oral temperature with a digital thermometer every morning at the same time before she gets out of bed and begins and activity (the simple act of getting out of bed can raise your temperature). Daily temperatures should be recorded. At the time of ovulation, BBT raises by at least 0.4 degrees farenheit above the lowest point. The safe (infertile) period begins once there are 3 consecutive days of rising temperature and lasts until the end of your period. I have personally started to record this, and I have noticed that my temperature DRASTICALLY changes when I wake up later. You have to measure it at the same time each day to be accurate!
Cervical Mucus Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 3% About 5-6 days before ovulation, the cervical mucus should increase in quantity and elasticity, and become clear, resembling raw egg white. The last day you observe this is typically one day prior to ovulation (termed the "peak symptom). After you ovulate, the mucus becomes thick and sticky or is absent. The woman is considered "fertile" from the first day mucus is observed after her period until 4 days after you last see the peak symptom.
Symptothermal Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 2%- combines the BBT method to determine the post-ovulation "safe" period, as well as the cervical mucus or calendar method to determind the end of the post-menstrual infertile period.
Standard Days Method- only recommended for women who''s cycles are between 26 and 32 days regularly. If day 1 of the cycle is day 1 of your period, then you should avoid intercourse on days 8-19 or use another method of contraception during this time.
There are limitations to all of these methods however, and a woman''s body will change from cycle to cycle depending on stress, illness, infection, etc. So if you plan to start using NFP, I suggest that you get a more comprehensive book to teach yourself before you begin to rely on it.

Other options include:
Prescription (BCP, nuvaring, patches, IUD, etc) <0.6% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use
Condoms- 2% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 15%)
Spermicides- 18% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 29%)
Cervical cap/contraceptive sponge (with spermicide)- 26% rate with PERFECT use in women who have had children, 9% rate with PERFECT use in women who NEVER had children
Diaphragm (with spremicide)-6% rate with PERFECT (rate with typical use is 16%)
Withdrawl- 4% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 27%)
No Method- 85% accidental pregnancy rate with typical use

As you can see, prescription methods are still the most effective way to prevent a pregnancy. As mentioned in other posts, you need to decide if having an accidental pregnancy would be something devastating in your life. If you''re 17 years old, and cannot risk a pregnancy, I say stay on the pill. If you''re 27 and could support a child if you needed to and the libido is a significant problem, then I would think about discontinuing the medication. It''s 100% a personal decision, and something that I think you should talk to your SO about before stopping.

2. Why don''t doctors/OBs/pharmacists tell you about this? Honestly, I think it''s because they don''t know that it''s a significant problem. I''m pretty passionate about it, which is why I did the research. During our women''s health lecture about hormonal contraception, NOTHING about effects on libido were taught to us. We learned how to manage acne, PMS, hair growth, nausea, spotting, etc. I don''t think there is enough research done on the topic to change the way health care professionals practice. You have to consider that birth control is still a fairly new therapy (first marketed in 1960''s). I think it is much more commen for women to be open about their sexual health today than it was when birth control first came onto the scene. I hope that new studies will be done to expose this problem. I myself, have had a very tough time trying to find research and good, trusted data on the subject. I think there are a lot of women that have no idea that it can even be a problem- much less your doctor (especially if your doctor is a male or female who has never taken BCP).

3. Why do some women seem to have significant problems and others don''t? Why do men have it easier? It''s because all women are different. What works for women A might not work for women B- it''s as simple as genetics and basic differences. Some women NEED to be on birth control because their menstural cycles are so severe that it interferes with daily life, and birth control is a safe and easy way to fix it. Other women never have problems and may be very regular without any external hormone influence. Just because somethings works for your friend doesn''t mean it will work for you. Just keep that in mind. Also, as Fuzzers mentioned- sometimes women are just naturally less sexually charged than men- if you recall, testosterone contributes to your sex drive and men have much more of it then women! Also, you have to consider external factors in you life that can affect your sex drive- stress, overweight, depression, anxiety, work, etc. Have you ever noticed that sometimes sex is a lot better if you''re on vacation than it is on Wednesday night at 10 pm?

I can respond to some of the more specifics about IUDs, Seasonale, Yaz, and Depo Provera tomorrow... right now I''m out of steam!

Have a good night ladies- let me know if you have any specific questions that you would like me to research. This helps me to learn, and I get a lot of joy out of sharing my information with people who are interested and concerned!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... This is still all very interesting- its good to see that people are learning a lot from this thread!

I thought I would add to my WAY earlier post: FI and I don''t use just the "rhythm method" as in strictly calendar days: we use mucus testing. Not as "safe" as BBT, but more predictable/helpful than days on a calendar. Not to be too TMI, but as soon as I stopped BC, I was instantly able to tell when I was ovulating based on cervical mucus. If it wasn''t so clear, I''d be seeking out alternative methods.

I still think it''s realllly realllly important for a woman considering any type of natural BC (abstention, really) to have a regular cycle. Some women are completely unpredictable and may even ovulate more than once in a 28 day period (though unlikely). Tracking temps or surveying cervical mucus requires diligence! A benefit, though, is that you learn a whole lot about your body and become much more in-tune and in-touch with it/your health.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:17:18 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well if we''re all in the TMI boat here''s mine: I was on the depo for TEN YEARS. Yes kids, that''s a DECADE. My sex drive was NON-FRICKIN-EXISTENT. Got my last shot in October, which wore off in January, and by May (or so) I was starting to be ''normal'' again. My god--what was I thinking for those ten years?!? Sex is a good thing. No--a GREAT--thing and I really missed it!!!
Ditto. I think this is where my problems started to be honest (not to mention the weight gain, but that''s another BIG story). Anyhoo, I was on depo for about 7 years then onto the bill for several more years. Now I am so happy I am not on any BC.

I noticed some of you ladies were saying you hate to use condoms. I hated them at first too, I was really uncomfortable about it, and got very shy when it came to the time to grab one out of the drawer. Very silly considering we had been together for years and used them when we first got together, but now that''s all we use. If you use them properly, they are quite safe, and we havn''t had a problem at all. We use them all the time, regardless of my cycle, I am on methotrexate for my rheumatoid and I can''t fall preggo at all on this medication (it''s actually used to induce abortions, so you get the idea of how important it is to avoid pregnancy). Now, they honestly don''t bother me. I am much happier that I got over feeling funny about them, it''s better to use them and get lots more sex now, than being on the pill and having no sex-drive. They have become a regular on my shopping list now, we get them when we are grocery shopping.

Although I do have to admit to nearing PASSING OUT from embarrassment one day in the supermarket line. He we are with our large box of condoms on the top of the shopping trolley and I turn around to hear my neighbours calling my name and standing behind me. I wished the ground would open up and swallow me, silly I know, but I felt like a teenager getting caught making out on the couch!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, freaky - this is sooo topical for me right now
7.gif

I have just recently gone off the pill for reasons such as everyone else has described.

Amanda, thankyou for all the great info - can you please advise, I have moved to Nuvaring - should this help with libido, or is it pretty much the same as the pill?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 12:10:54 AM
Author: Amanda.Rx
WOW... OK... that was a huge response and I apologize for not checking the board earlier today. I will do my best to address those issues that I can. Keep in mind, I am still a student (granted I will have my doctorate in 1.5 years).

A few things that I read about:

1. Concern of stopping birth control due to fear of getting pregnant/what other options are there?: If you have been on BCP for a long time, you can probably figure out when your period will start each month. If you stop taking it, it will mess your cycle up and you will not be regular. I was used to having on every 4th Wednesday, and when I stopped, I went as long as 6 weeks before my period started. I had almost convinced myself that I was pregnant and I still have an arsenal of pregnancy tests in my bathroom closet. It will (hopefully) correct itself over time. As IWannaPrettyOne stated, you really can only get pregnant 3-4 days per cycle. Birth control pills STOP you from ovulating (or releasing an egg). Day 1 of your period is day 1 of your monthly cycle. A woman *typically* ovulates around day 12-14 of her cycle. Once you ovulate, the egg is only viable for 24-48 hours (typically 24 hours). After that, it dies, and you cannot concieve. Sperm, however, can live up to 7 days (typically 3-5 days) in the female reproductive system. Therefore, if you ovulate on day 14 and you have unprotected sex on day 7, you *could* still get pregnant. The closer you have sex to your ovulation day, the more likely you are to get pregnant. So how do you know that you''ve ovulated? Many women who choose not to use hormonal or barrier methods use a method called ''Natural Family Planning'' or NFP. NFP can be divided into 5 methods: calendar, basal body temperature, cervical mucus, standard days, symptothermal. Each method requires the woman to keep detailed records of her menstural cycles and if done correctly, the woman may be able to predict her most fertile time of the month.
Calendar Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 9% the length of your menstrual cycle should be recorded for 6-12 months. The first fertile day in a women''s menstrual cycle is calculated by subtracting 18 from the number of days in her shortest cycle. The last fertile day is calculated by subtracting 11 from the number of days in her longest cycle.
Basal Body Temp (BBT) accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 1%- This is effective only at determining the END of the fertile phase and is not accurate in predicting the beginning of the phase. This method requires the women to check her oral temperature with a digital thermometer every morning at the same time before she gets out of bed and begins and activity (the simple act of getting out of bed can raise your temperature). Daily temperatures should be recorded. At the time of ovulation, BBT raises by at least 0.4 degrees farenheit above the lowest point. The safe (infertile) period begins once there are 3 consecutive days of rising temperature and lasts until the end of your period. I have personally started to record this, and I have noticed that my temperature DRASTICALLY changes when I wake up later. You have to measure it at the same time each day to be accurate!
Cervical Mucus Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 3% About 5-6 days before ovulation, the cervical mucus should increase in quantity and elasticity, and become clear, resembling raw egg white. The last day you observe this is typically one day prior to ovulation (termed the ''peak symptom). After you ovulate, the mucus becomes thick and sticky or is absent. The woman is considered ''fertile'' from the first day mucus is observed after her period until 4 days after you last see the peak symptom.
Symptothermal Method- accidental pregnancy rate with first year of PERFECT use is 2%- combines the BBT method to determine the post-ovulation ''safe'' period, as well as the cervical mucus or calendar method to determind the end of the post-menstrual infertile period.
Standard Days Method- only recommended for women who''s cycles are between 26 and 32 days regularly. If day 1 of the cycle is day 1 of your period, then you should avoid intercourse on days 8-19 or use another method of contraception during this time.
There are limitations to all of these methods however, and a woman''s body will change from cycle to cycle depending on stress, illness, infection, etc. So if you plan to start using NFP, I suggest that you get a more comprehensive book to teach yourself before you begin to rely on it.

Other options include:
Prescription (BCP, nuvaring, patches, IUD, etc) <0.6% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use
Condoms- 2% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 15%)
Spermicides- 18% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 29%)
Cervical cap/contraceptive sponge (with spermicide)- 26% rate with PERFECT use in women who have had children, 9% rate with PERFECT use in women who NEVER had children
Diaphragm (with spremicide)-6% rate with PERFECT (rate with typical use is 16%)
Withdrawl- 4% accidental pregnancy rate with PERFECT use (rate with typical use is 27%)
No Method- 85% accidental pregnancy rate with typical use

As you can see, prescription methods are still the most effective way to prevent a pregnancy. As mentioned in other posts, you need to decide if having an accidental pregnancy would be something devastating in your life. If you''re 17 years old, and cannot risk a pregnancy, I say stay on the pill. If you''re 27 and could support a child if you needed to and the libido is a significant problem, then I would think about discontinuing the medication. It''s 100% a personal decision, and something that I think you should talk to your SO about before stopping.

2. Why don''t doctors/OBs/pharmacists tell you about this? Honestly, I think it''s because they don''t know that it''s a significant problem. I''m pretty passionate about it, which is why I did the research. During our women''s health lecture about hormonal contraception, NOTHING about effects on libido were taught to us. We learned how to manage acne, PMS, hair growth, nausea, spotting, etc. I don''t think there is enough research done on the topic to change the way health care professionals practice. You have to consider that birth control is still a fairly new therapy (first marketed in 1960''s). I think it is much more commen for women to be open about their sexual health today than it was when birth control first came onto the scene. I hope that new studies will be done to expose this problem. I myself, have had a very tough time trying to find research and good, trusted data on the subject. I think there are a lot of women that have no idea that it can even be a problem- much less your doctor (especially if your doctor is a male or female who has never taken BCP).

3. Why do some women seem to have significant problems and others don''t? Why do men have it easier? It''s because all women are different. What works for women A might not work for women B- it''s as simple as genetics and basic differences. Some women NEED to be on birth control because their menstural cycles are so severe that it interferes with daily life, and birth control is a safe and easy way to fix it. Other women never have problems and may be very regular without any external hormone influence. Just because somethings works for your friend doesn''t mean it will work for you. Just keep that in mind. Also, as Fuzzers mentioned- sometimes women are just naturally less sexually charged than men- if you recall, testosterone contributes to your sex drive and men have much more of it then women! Also, you have to consider external factors in you life that can affect your sex drive- stress, overweight, depression, anxiety, work, etc. Have you ever noticed that sometimes sex is a lot better if you''re on vacation than it is on Wednesday night at 10 pm?

I can respond to some of the more specifics about IUDs, Seasonale, Yaz, and Depo Provera tomorrow... right now I''m out of steam!

Have a good night ladies- let me know if you have any specific questions that you would like me to research. This helps me to learn, and I get a lot of joy out of sharing my information with people who are interested and concerned!

So combined BBT and CMM and Voila natural hormone free birth control- in theory...this is my second cycle so we will see how long it lasts hahaha...if we get pregnant it is a good thing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 2:34:11 AM
Author: honey22

Date: 11/18/2008 10:17:18 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well if we''re all in the TMI boat here''s mine: I was on the depo for TEN YEARS. Yes kids, that''s a DECADE. My sex drive was NON-FRICKIN-EXISTENT. Got my last shot in October, which wore off in January, and by May (or so) I was starting to be ''normal'' again. My god--what was I thinking for those ten years?!? Sex is a good thing. No--a GREAT--thing and I really missed it!!!
Ditto. I think this is where my problems started to be honest (not to mention the weight gain, but that''s another BIG story). Anyhoo, I was on depo for about 7 years then onto the bill for several more years. Now I am so happy I am not on any BC.

I noticed some of you ladies were saying you hate to use condoms. I hated them at first too, I was really uncomfortable about it, and got very shy when it came to the time to grab one out of the drawer. Very silly considering we had been together for years and used them when we first got together, but now that''s all we use. If you use them properly, they are quite safe, and we havn''t had a problem at all. We use them all the time, regardless of my cycle, I am on methotrexate for my rheumatoid and I can''t fall preggo at all on this medication (it''s actually used to induce abortions, so you get the idea of how important it is to avoid pregnancy). Now, they honestly don''t bother me. I am much happier that I got over feeling funny about them, it''s better to use them and get lots more sex now, than being on the pill and having no sex-drive. They have become a regular on my shopping list now, we get them when we are grocery shopping.

Although I do have to admit to nearing PASSING OUT from embarrassment one day in the supermarket line. He we are with our large box of condoms on the top of the shopping trolley and I turn around to hear my neighbours calling my name and standing behind me. I wished the ground would open up and swallow me, silly I know, but I felt like a teenager getting caught making out on the couch!
Oh yes -- that too!!! I swear I put on 20-30 lbs over the course of 10 years. Of course I can''t blame all of that on the depo, but when I started reading the clinical studies I was just SHOCKED at how much weight it is absolutely common to put on PER YEAR on depo.
29.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:45:39 AM
Author: elledizzy5

I was starting to look at IUDs, and they look decent. Has anyone on here had a good experience with them? Bad experience? Did you use hormonal or non-hormonal?
I have been using the Mirena for about a year now. I have not had any hormonal related issues aside from typical PMS symptoms - none of which are bothersome enough to me to cause me to re-evaluate my method. The BCP and I seldom got along. I did experience a drop in my libido but I attribute that more to stress and a general discomfort with my body image. Once I started to work out and felt better about myself, the lack of drive was lessened. While I was on NuvaRing I felt very normal - however the high cost of the ring ultimately lead me to Mirena. No worry about effectivness, no need to remember to remove anything once a month, no monthly trips to the pharmacy...

With Mirena my libido is right on par with the "old me". Indeed there are certain times of the month were I'm much more interested in sex than others but again, that could be related to stress levels, tiredness and having time to actually do the deed. The only "issue" I had with my IUD was the general discomfort associated with the insertion and I had a few months of weird adjustment to my cycle which I attributed to stopping hormones cold turkey after almost 11 years of solid use. Now, I have a very light period which only lasts a few days. Some women do not have periods at all. What I love most about Mirena is the fact that you can have it removed and start trying to get pregnant right away unlike with BCP where you are typically encouraged to give yourself 6 months to have your cycle re-set.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:14:50 AM
Author: Keepingthefaith21

Date: 11/18/2008 11:45:39 AM

I was starting to look at IUDs, and they look decent. Has anyone on here had a good experience with them? Bad experience? Did you use hormonal or non-hormonal?
I have been using the Mirena for about a year now. I have not had any hormonal related issues aside from typical PMS symptoms - none of which are bothersome enough to me to cause me to re-evaluate my method. The BCP and I seldom got along. I did experience a drop in my libido but I attribute that more to stress and a general discomfort with my body image. Once I started to work out and felt better about myself, the lack of drive was lessened. While I was on NuvaRing I felt very normal - however the high cost of the ring ultimately lead me to Mirena. No worry about effectivness, no need to remember to remove anything once a month, no monthly trips to the pharmacy...

With Mirena my libido is right on par with the 'old me'. Indeed there are certain times of the month were I'm much more interested in sex than others but again, that could be related to stress levels, tiredness and having time to actually do the deed. The only 'issue' I had with my IUD was the general discomfort associated with the insertion and I had a few months of weird adjustment to my cycle which I attributed to stopping hormones cold turkey after almost 11 years of solid use. Now, I have a very light period which only lasts a few days. Some women do not have periods at all. What I love most about Mirena is the fact that you can have it removed and start trying to get pregnant right away unlike with BCP where you are typically encouraged to give yourself 6 months to have your cycle re-set.
Thanks so much, KTF. That was really helpful.

One more question - how much did Mirena cost you, if you don't mind? I dont have health insurance now, so I was *hoping* it would be right around 500ish dollars for the whole thing, or not much more than that.

I was trying to google around for some answers and found really varying costs. I think I may go through Planned Parenthood, since office visits will be lower, if nothing else.

Judging on the information I've heard, I'm surprised that more Obgyns aren't recommending IUDs. They seem perfect, considering my cycle is pretty normal (it was regular before the BCPs, even).

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:25:06 AM

Thanks so much, KTF. That was really helpful.

One more question - how much did Mirena cost you, if you don''t mind? I dont have health insurance now, so I was *hoping* it would be right around 500ish dollars for the whole thing, or not much more than that.

I was trying to google around for some answers and found really varying costs. I think I may go through Planned Parenthood, since office visits will be lower, if nothing else.

Judging on the information I''ve heard, I''m surprised that more Obgyns are recommending IUDs. They seem perfect, considering my cycle is pretty normal (it was regular before the BCPs, even).
I would definately look into Planned Parenthood because family planning clinics usually charge less than private health care providers. I work for health insurance company so I am fortunate to have very good coverage - my IUD insertion cost me $40 which was the cost of two office visit co-pays - one visit to insert the IUD and a follow up visit to make sure I was feeling okay and the IUD was properly in place. I know that the cost for the entire Mirena package for my provider was about $1,400 - which I am sure includes a large mark-up.

I''d be happy to answer any other questions you may have!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Elle, I''m also on the Mirena and have been for about 6 months. I had it put in at Planned Parenthood and since I had lost my job and was unemployed at the time, they didn''t charge me anything (I donated what I could afford). I highly recommend getting it put in there because they do so many of them. For me, the insertion wasn''t even that painful.

One side note--I had been on Depo for 2 years prior to going on the Mirena and so aside from some light spotting, I haven''t had a period in about 2 and a half years (I was also not having periods on the Depo). The doctor has assured me that this is normal, but just wanted to throw that out there in case that would bother you.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks KTF, and LP! I swear I get more information here on PS than I do from my doctors.

There''s a Planned Parenthood about.. ohh... 1/8 mile from my house. I have an appointment there on Saturday to get checked out and talk about my options. I''m leaning towards Mirena since the periods aren''t as heavy on it. Since it lasts about 5 years, that''s perfect timing for when FF and I plan on having kids.

I''ve been bugging FF about getting off of BCP for months now, I can''t tell you how excited I am that this is actually coming to fruition. I want my naughty side back!!
31.gif

Plus, my moods on BCP are ridiculous. I go from laughing to crying to back in seconds. I''m not kidding. It''s scary. LOL. Can''t wait til I can watch a movie without crying again.
20.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting Mirena next month, and the cost to me was just my co-pay ($20). Imagine that-5 years of BC for $20!!

I cannot wait. Having my sex drive back has been incredible, but I hate worrying about pregnancy. So glad to hear that the others with Mirena are doing well. I really really hated BC so I am relieved.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Great topic, thank you for starting it. There is so much good information here.
I have been on BCP (ortho-cyclen) for about 7 years now. I cant really say if it is causing low libido or not, I am in the same boat as some other posters talking about not being interested, but once started really into it. Questions for those ladies on Mirena or other IUDs... on the commercials on TV (I know not a great place for info, but still) they always say something about the candidates having had children. Did your Gyno say anything about this? Is there a reason for why they recommend having had children? I would love to not have periods and not have to take the pill... I definitely need to talk to my gyno about an IUD.
Thanks for all the info ladies!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad I''ve stopped taking birth control pills... and I don''t think I''ll ever go back! My moods are better and sex drive is up! I feel like I was poisoning myself before...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results