shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth control & your libido (sex drive)... FYI

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I had mentioned this on another thread and Namaste was interested, and I didn''''t want to totally thread jack so I thought I would start a new one. I think this is a topic that all ladies should be aware of. Most of you know that I''''m in pharmacy school, so I''''ve done a good bit of research on this topic because I thought it was interesting and experienced it myself.

It''''s true- birth control (of any type) can decrease your libido (or sex drive). Here''''s how it works: When your birth control is metabolized (usually by your liver), you produce metabolites that can increase your serum levels of a substance called SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin). SHBG binds up the free testosterone in your body (yes, ladies, we all have a little bit of testosterone). The testosterone is a main contributer to your sex drive. If you increase your levels of SHBG, you increase the amount of testosterone that it binds, leaving less free testosterone to contribute to your libido.

Typically, this unexplained decrease in libido may appear within 3-5 years of consecutively taking birth control. It may also be more prominent with the birth control pills marketed to improve acne (because they are much less androgenic).

There was a study done (I''''m not sure if it was statsitically significant or not) but it was published in The Journal of Sexual Medicine by Dr. Claudia Panzer. They stratfied women into 1 of 3 groups: women who had never taken the pill, women who previously used the pill, and women who were currently taking the pill. They measured the blood levels of SHBG before the study, at 80 days after stopping the pill and at 120 days after stopping the pill. Here''''s what they found: at the beginning of the study, women on the pill had SHBG levels 4 times higher than women who had never used the pill. Even 120 days after stopping the pill, their levels were still 2 times higher than women who had never used the pill. What this means is that using birth control pills COULD permanently increase your levels of SHBG, making decreased libido a long term problem. It is not clear if or when SHBG levels would return to normal after discontinuing the pill (the only data we have is at 120 days). Further study would need to be done to determine this.

After many months of frustration over my decreased libido (in an otherwise fabulous relationship), I ran across this study, and it concerned me enough to stop taking my birth control. I talked with my SO about it, and he was OK with my decision and we have used other forms of non-hormonal birth control since. I stopped taking my birth control in March and I feel that it may have helped (but my "personal" experience is also confounded by the fact that my SO is living in Germany and I haven''''t seen him much since March).

If you are totally against taking stopping your birth control, there are some other options you can switch to that have a higher androgenic content. I will warn you, however, that pills with a higher androgen content may make acne worse (but so will stopping your medication). There is also no data that pills with a higher androgen content will prevent your SHBG levels from increasing but increased androgen content does lead to increased testosterone production.

Here are a few options with a higher androgen content (highest to lowest): Ovral, Loestrin 1.5/30, Loestrin 1/20, Lo-Ovral, Nordette

Those pills with the lowest androgen content (usually marketed to improve acne) include: Yasmin, Ovcon 35, Cyclessa, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, Modicon

*All the above listed were brand names- the generic name will be different.

I hope that may be helpful for some of you- sorry that it''''s so long, but I wouldn''''t have taken the time to write it if I didn''''t feel it was good information to share.

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard similar studies as well. Shouldn''t surprise anyone that treating a perfectly healthy female body as if its normal fertile cycle is flawed and diseased will have an affect on her sex drive and other things (hormones, emotions, weight, etc.) I recommend the Creighton Method of NFP, and it can improve a husband''s appreciation, understanding and honor of you and your body. Isn''t that what most women truly want? Thanks for sharing your own references, Amanda.

http://www.creightonmodel.com/advantages.htm

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, thanks for that extra info.. very interesting and helpful.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely true! I threw my pill packet out the window and unleashed the inner woman
2.gif
3.gif
. This was a few years ago, it worked so well, DF sometimes tells other male friends who complain of lack of action in the bedroom - you gotta get your Mrs off the pill mate - it works wonders!!!!!
11.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for posting this.

FF and I have been dealing with this for the past year or so. I''ve been on the pill since I was... 21? So this has been affecting me since about year 4. I keep asking him about going off the pill, and he''s mixed on it because he says it will affect our sex life. I''m thinking... what sex life? I am rarely in the mood.

He wants me to check with my gyno first. I dont have health insurance right now, so it''s kind of an expensive thing to do, but I feel like it''s necessary. We''re both really frustrated by this.

I wish they''d tell you this stuff before they start putting everyone on the pill.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 12:34:44 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Thank you so much for posting this.

FF and I have been dealing with this for the past year or so. I''ve been on the pill since I was... 21? So this has been affecting me since about year 4. I keep asking him about going off the pill, and he''s mixed on it because he says it will affect our sex life. I''m thinking... what sex life? I am rarely in the mood.

He wants me to check with my gyno first. I dont have health insurance right now, so it''s kind of an expensive thing to do, but I feel like it''s necessary. We''re both really frustrated by this.

I wish they''d tell you this stuff before they start putting everyone on the pill.
I am in the exact same boat as you.

This is my forth year being on the pill and my sex drive is non-existant. I never even though it could be my pill.

Thanks for posting this!
1.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Amanda!! LOVELOVELOVE this thread, and LOVE YOU for posting it!!! I think it''s something that all sexually active women should keep in mind.
1.gif
1.gif
36.gif

(FI is a pharmacist, btw, so I love hearing drug-talk
2.gif
It IS really helpful/insightful, though. Is your FF a pharmacist/pharmacy student??)

I had lots-o-problems on the pill after about 2.5 years of being ''on.'' Low hormone/regular/various levels of progesterone & estrogen, it didn''t matter- my cycle was completely out of whack, water weight was up, and sex drive was down. I was bleeding three weeks at a time. OY! I was tired of not being helped by GPs/gynos/pharmacists and eventually decided to stop taking it. ::Sky opens up and angels start singing:: BREAKTHROUGH!

My cycles are super-regular and predictable, no breakthrough bleeding, no extra bloating, etc. FI and I use NFP/rhythm method and occasionally non hormonal contraception. It''s great... But there''s on disclaimer: For women who cannot easily predict when they are ovulating, I would not recommend NFP... period. Use *some* other type of BC.

I''m also not a fan of spermicides: Chemicals in-general are on my ''bad list.'' (whether in cleaning products, makeup, anything...) But there are lots of non-chemical, natural, hormone-free alternatives for women who are less than thrilled w. BC pills.

Hm I''ve been on and off for about 7 years? I cannot go off though, the last time I did I had several E.R visits for nearly bleeding to death (or so it felt). This might be TMI, but I had a period that lasted months. Not days. Months. I''m on Yaz now and I''m REALLY scared to stop taking it. As a side note, my sex drive is way down. BF and I used to get into arguments before I was on Yaz because I was like, I want sex- now now now.. and he would be like.. noooo too tired. Now it''s way way less and he approaches me! That''s so weird.

Do you have any info on Yaz?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ladies, Can I have your opinion on if you think this is my problem:

This is probably TMI but I am starting to wonder if this is what is going on with me. I think I need some splainin'' on what exactly libido is. I never feel like having sex. DH asks and I find myself giving him tons of excuses. But then when I give in I looove it!
30.gif
It''s great, I have an "O" every time and I keep thinking to my self "wow we should do this all the time!" But for some reason every time he wants to do it I resist. I mean I want to do it but it never feels like the right time, I''m either too tired, too full from eating, too hungry. Then when I let him talk me into it everything is wonderful and I feel guilty for giving him a hard time to begin with.

So my question is does this sound like decreased libido? I have no other problems with orgasm or enjoying sex. DH has expressed that it bugs him a little that he practically has to beg me everytime. I have been on BC so long I couldn''t even tell you when I started and I am on Nuvaring. Any thoughts?

Sorry for TMI!
23.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
mia, I think I have the same issue as you do, and I feel the same way. I''m glad I''m not alone. I think it''s alright as long as we aren''t refusing it out of resentment or anything like that. For me it''s usually the problem of "Eh, it''s going to take so long and I have get up in less than 6 hours...". When it''s over I''m thinking "Wowsa!!!".
3.gif

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Although I believe this is true, does the effect of decreased libido differ between brands. I''ve been on the pill for 3 years, initially I took trifeme but now I take Yasmin, and I think Yasmin has little effect on my libido (compared to when I was taking Trifeme). In fact I think, I am more sexually charged than my SO, so if it does effect all brands, heaven help my SO if I ever go off it.

Also other known effects of the pill are increased risk of breast cancer and blood clots (not very nice), however worth considering if you have peripheral vascular disease ( narrowing of arteries) or a family history of breast cancer.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 1:04:32 AM
Author: mia1181
Hey Ladies, Can I have your opinion on if you think this is my problem:

This is probably TMI but I am starting to wonder if this is what is going on with me. I think I need some splainin'' on what exactly libido is. I never feel like having sex. DH asks and I find myself giving him tons of excuses. But then when I give in I looove it!
30.gif
It''s great, I have an ''O'' every time and I keep thinking to my self ''wow we should do this all the time!'' But for some reason every time he wants to do it I resist. I mean I want to do it but it never feels like the right time, I''m either too tired, too full from eating, too hungry. Then when I let him talk me into it everything is wonderful and I feel guilty for giving him a hard time to begin with.

So my question is does this sound like decreased libido? I have no other problems with orgasm or enjoying sex. DH has expressed that it bugs him a little that he practically has to beg me everytime. I have been on BC so long I couldn''t even tell you when I started and I am on Nuvaring. Any thoughts?

Sorry for TMI!
23.gif
For sure! This is so common with females, they don''t feel like it and when it''s over, we are like, I''m so glad I did it anyway. And I put up with this for years! And so did my partner. He knew the days I accidently missed my pill, as I would be all up for it, and he would even say to me, have you forgotten your pill today, and I would be like, duh! It''s nice to actually feel in the mood before it happens too!

I have also found that not only has my sex drive returned, but I feel sexier and generally more cuddly and kissy (not trying to lead to sex) and DF loves this. He is big on cuddling and kissing, so we were both thrilled when I started just being more intimate in general. I swear, going off the pill was the best thing I ever did. I have never had problems having orgasms either, but now I find it''s easier, and 100% success rate too, even when i am tired or whatever.

I really encourage you girls to give it a try, the downside is though you actually get ''proper periods'' again, and not just a withdrawal bleed which is what you actually have when you are on the pill. I have found I get PMS again, and my boobs hurt before my period, but that is the only downside. And it''s one I will happily trade. Going from sex 1-3 times per month to that amount or more everyweek, I can put up with sore boobs. DF likes me more now anyway, even with a bit of PMS
2.gif
9.gif

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
This is so interesting I could have written all of these posts. My problem is that I have not been on the pill for several years now, but my sex drive has not returned. I love it when I do it but I can''t get the steam up to get started. My beloved FI is very understanding but I know it makes him feel like I don''t love him and I would love to get it sorted before we get married next year. Does anyone have any solutions for reversing the effects, ie taking something to boost testoterone? Any suggestions gratefully accepted

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
lol this thread should just be labeled tmi, here''s mine :)

I have been on the same pill since june and after the side effects went away (worst being migranes everyday) it was great. i get cramps so bad i would frequently vomit from the pain and this pill helped so much!

on the downside, it has lowered my libido. however since the wedding is only a year away we have decided we can deal with it for the time being and after the wedding is over we will start trying to conceive, we want lots of kids :)
ok well, that''s my two cents...it wasnt even really advice, just my experience lol

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
My problem is the opposite. I think I always had a healthy sex drive, but never took any BC until age 23 or so, because I was bleeding for a month at a time, or having periods every 2 weeks, and I wanted regularity! Anyway, I choose the Mirena IUD. I LOVE the convenience, though I had crazy cramps for the first 2 months, but I stopped having periods, and it seemed like the best decision ever, but now I feel like it's making me lose hair (like alopecia) and I am really anxious to take it out. I think I've had it for just 2 years next month, but I think I'm seriously going to remove it. My sex drive is fantastic, but it could be due to the high level of progesterone, but I always had no problem with sex drive (I probably trump him in sex drive, LOL!). And we are LDR anyway, so that probably helps. ANYWAY, IUDs can be fantastic, but do some screening in advance to assess your hormone levels and blood work. If you have problems or adverse effects, it will be helpful to have baselines to compare to before making decisions!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much Amanda, this is so helpful! I''ve been on BC for 8 years (started w/ Ortho-Lo and now have been on regular Ortho for this past year). My sex drive used to be off the charts, but this past year or two its dropped way down. I feel exactly like Mia described! I hate that its changed and I know that FF is bothered too, I actually have to give myself a pep talk into initiating sex but then end up loving it every time.

I think I may meet with my Dr. to see if I can get on another pill. I''m sure once I''m married BC will go out the window anyway!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I find it extremely frustrating that this has never been discussed by any of the (many) MDs that have prescribed BC for me over the years.

I was SEVERELY affected by this towards the end of my last relationship. Of course, it could have been lots of other issues with us as well. So I stopped taking my BC as soon as we broke up, and have felt IMMENSELY better on a few levels. My "drive" has returned, and the idea of going back on the pill is disheartening.

Amanda, thanks for sharing. What do you know about Mirena on this front?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my TMI:

Not a bc user and here I am 33 and have always had a high drive, always in the mood. Don''t get me wrong, sometimes I think I''m too tired, but one kiss changes my mind. I have never been a big fan of bc because the three different times in my life I took it for two months I HATED IT! I am just one of those people whose mood changed just from being on it. I would easily snap, be crabby, say things without thinking first. I just felt a little out of control.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
My side of TMI;

I had a great sex drive (healthy nothing crazy) and then I started the pill for numerous reasons (not because I was a hussy) but I went to the doctor with a long list of problems and the pill was right on the top of the list to get my body back in order. so I started taking it and it was like night and day. I felt so bad for my BF because I was never in the mood, and he can be so super cute sometimes. Here is the thing I stopped taking them and NOTHING changed. I still don't have any sort of sex drive. My doctor said it might take awhile to come back which has me REALLY confused... sob.

I don't feel so sorry for me but rather for my BF, poor thing
15.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
This is soooooo comforting to see I''m not the only one with this issue. I feel like I turned the light in in a room that''s been pitch black the past 3 years (or rather Amanda.Rx did!! Thank you!!
36.gif
)
And for some reason I never thought to research this cause I thought it was just some kind of issue with ME.

Like Miscka, I am frustrated with the doctors/gynos/nurse practitioners who have prescribed these to me the past 7-8 years and never even mentioned this possible side-effect!! I''m asking myself where I''ve been that I didn''t KNOW THIS!!!
33.gif

Like most people said, once things get going it''s all good but the trick is to get things going. I have no desire. And of course I feel bad for the bf. I don''t know how many times he''s heard "I don''t know what''s wrong with me - I''m just never in the mood anymore."

And also, I don''t know if this makes it worse but I started taking a generic form of seasonale (the ones where you only get your period 4 times a year). From what I was told it was safe and I must say I really really do enjoy getting my period only 4 times a year. My body adjusted to that cycle with no problems.. but I can''t help but wonder if it''s really OK...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread makes me so mad.

It''s so irritating to see how many women''s relationships are suffering because of this issue and no one has told us. FF and I have been fighting over this for a while now. I''ve been in tears over this. It''s just so frustrating! Trying to explain to the person you want to marry why you don''t want to have sex this time is just... hurtful. For both of us. I hate having to reject him over and over again. I know he knows that it''s not about him, but I know he takes it personally.

I hope a gyno trip discussion will help me figure out some other options.

Tuesday December 2! I''m counting down!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, Amanda. I''ve been hearing more and more about the negative (and potentially long-term after going off) side effects of the pill.

I''ve been on Alesse (generic brands of it, anyway) for nearly 5 years now. I went on it about a month after I started dating my husband. My libido slowly dropped throughout the first 2 years of our relationship--so it was hard to know if it was because of the BCP or because I was just getting past the initial lusty stage.

I''ve been thinking about going off lately. The only thing that''s kept me on, honestly, is the fact that I know *exactly* when to expect my period. That and the reduced cramping. I was very irregular before, and when I went off for a short time about a year ago, I was constantly freaking about possibly being pregnant because I didn''t have a set date to expect AF. I think I went through 8 pregnancy tests in the three months I was off
3.gif

ETA: It might be good to have the admins move this to family home and health, so that more people see it than just the people who browse the LIW board every now and again
1.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this thread - it''s actually something I''ve been wondering about for a few months now.

I''ve been on the pill for 5 years now. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 years, then switched to Lo-Estrin 24 a year ago - I''ve noticed a tremendous drop in my libido over the past year - and I don''t know if it''s due to my BC switch - or that my body is decreasing it''s drive after being on hormones for so long. Looks like I''ll need to visit my gyno for these questions.

I''d LOVE to get off the pill - my DH isn''t too keen on that idea - because we aren''t ready for kids just yet.

What other options are there? Besides condoms...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:43:38 AM
Author: Cleopatra
Thanks for posting this thread - it''s actually something I''ve been wondering about for a few months now.

I''ve been on the pill for 5 years now. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 years, then switched to Lo-Estrin 24 a year ago - I''ve noticed a tremendous drop in my libido over the past year - and I don''t know if it''s due to my BC switch - or that my body is decreasing it''s drive after being on hormones for so long. Looks like I''ll need to visit my gyno for these questions.

I''d LOVE to get off the pill - my DH isn''t too keen on that idea - because we aren''t ready for kids just yet.

What other options are there? Besides condoms...

I''m in your boat. FF and I don''t plan on having kids for at least 5 years, and I HATE condoms.

I was starting to look at IUDs, and they look decent. Has anyone on here had a good experience with them? Bad experience? Did you use hormonal or non-hormonal?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I am doing FAM for these reasons and others.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting.

I recently went off BCP. I had been on pretty consistently since I was 19 or 20. Went off for about a year in 2002. Went back on and went off in August of this year. I never had a problem with my libido until this last time that I went back on in 2003 or so. Remarkable difference. When I went off this time, my sex drive sky-rocketed back to where I remember it. I feel like me again.

I had the same problem of resisting, but enjoying it once we got started. I think part of the problem- for me- TMI- is lack of fluids. So it would often hurt unless we used something. But that felt like such a chore sometimes.

But I don''t think BCP are all terrible. They do have some benefits, and I would say that an unplanned pregnancy at a young age is far more devastating than lack of sex drive. So please, those of you talking about going off, unless you are absolutely ok with getting preggo, use something else.

I think it''s intersting that it didn''t bother me for years. I was on Yasmin the last time, so maybe that is part of it.

However, now that I am off- my skin is like a 16 yr old- so broken out and super oily. I am not sure which is worse!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 12:02:01 PM
Author: ChinaCat
those of you talking about going off, unless you are absolutely ok with getting preggo, use something else.
I''ll ditto this and what PilsnPinkysMom said about being able to predict ovulation. Lots of people get pregnant while using FAM, LOTS! My husband and I have always used both BCP and condoms, and I''m actually quite nervous about reducing that to just condoms. I know that their rate of effectiveness is quite high, but I''m used to having a combined effectiveness of about 196%
3.gif
so dropping to, what, 98%?... is nerve-wracking.

If we were in a good position for having children I wouldn''t care, I''d take the 2% chance happily. But since we''re absolutely not ready, I have trouble letting go of my BCP (for that reason and the aforementioned cramping & irregular periods).

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 12:22:17 PM
Author: musey

I''ll ditto this and what PilsnPinkysMom said about being able to predict ovulation. Lots of people get pregnant while using FAM, LOTS! My husband and I have always used both BCP and condoms, and I''m actually quite nervous about reducing that to just condoms. I know that their rate of effectiveness is quite high, but I''m used to having a combined effectiveness of about 196%
3.gif
so dropping to, what, 98%?... is nerve-wracking.

If we were in a good position for having children I wouldn''t care, I''d take the 2% chance happily. But since we''re absolutely not ready, I have trouble letting go of my BCP (for that reason and the aforementioned cramping & irregular periods).

Musey, you are in my head! We also use both because we are terrified of an unplanned pregnancy. We always said when we got married the condoms would go and I would stay on BC, but now I''m rethinking it. We don''t want to get pregnant until 2 years after we are married, but I''m scared of not doing FAM the correct way.

Does anyone know if IUDs and other types of BC''s cause as many problems with hormones/libido?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Effectiveness rates do not take into consideration that any woman can only realistically get pregnant 3/4 days a month. Stats don''t look that great if you look it that way. We used condoms during that 5 or 6 day window based on cervical fluid and temperature. It is definatley something you have to practice religiously.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
DO NOT confused FAM with Rhythm method, or think that it is an easy out...With the used of fertilityfriend.com you can track your fertility following the strict FAM rules. I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler (s/p). It is awe inspiring and absolutley a way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results