shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth control & your libido (sex drive)... FYI

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies!
35.gif

I stopped taking the Pill a year ago after taking it for 4 years to control a wonky cycle and bad acne. It was making me depressed, so I finally decided to stop, and then-FI and I decided we would rely on FAM and condoms once we're married. I must say that it took me about 10 months to feel "normal" again. I'm relieved that it didn't seem to affect me permanently, although my cycle is even wonkier than before and the acne is still bad. So don't lose hope, it'll take a few months, but things will improve for you!
5.gif

Post-BC symptoms: Breast tenderness and anxiety. It lasted about a month, and that was it.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
Update: My last patch came off on 12/20, period started 12/23 and ended around 12/28. I started spotting 1/4 and the flow is now almost like the second day of a periodn along with slight cramps. I have a gyno exam tomorrow - can i still go? Is it normal to get a 2nd period so soon??? My body is totally messed up from the hormones and now off the hormones! Arghhh
emangry.gif

Did any one else have this problem??

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just in case anyone is still checking on this thread....

Update: Almost 2 months off the pill, and the libido is BACK! Not quite 100%, but we''re aleady DTD once a week (which is a huge improvement over last years once every 1 or 2 months). I''m actually starting to find myself whiny/crabby if I don''t get some!
11.gif
31.gif

Our relationship has improved so, so much. I''m happier! We''re happier! I don''t swat his hand away when he tries to touch me anymore! LOL.

My skin has been so-so. I''ve started eating healthier, exercising, and drinking a LOT more water, and my skin is looking better right now. I am starting to wonder if my bad skin previously was a result of dehydration and poor eating habits?

My first period post-pill was actually lighter than when I was on the pill.
33.gif
I hope the 2nd one is just as easy, but not getting my hopes up.

We''re using condoms for now, and still toying with the idea of an IUD, but I''m still not sold on Mirena or Paragard, so we''re waiting a bit longer.

How''s everyone else doing?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I ever posted here (I''ll check in a minute) but I was having terrible side effects due to the pill (I was on Ortho-tri). Low libido was the last of my worries (yes, we too went over a month without--a few times...) as I was dealing with major cramping, heavy-heavy periods, my breasts were hurting soooo much and my mood was just irritable. I went off of it and I feel so much better. I still have mild-to-moderate cramping and first two days are usually heavier than the rest (that''s to be expected), but its nothing I can''t cope with. What I''ve noticed the most is my mood is so much lighter and I''m not getting those terrible headaches anymore--I was getting them at least 1-2 x per month before.

As for the libido, its never been better. Before the pill we were a 2-3 x per week couple (+/- depending on the week). While on the pill if it was once every two weeks, that was amazing. Now, we are all over eachother (I think the engagement has a lot to do with it though). And, like Elle said, we get along so much better now. Sex is an amazing form of communication for us, so when its lacking, we get very crabby, even when things seem to be good and calm.

I know the pill works wonders for a lot of women, but in my experience (with several different types), its just not worth it.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I went off the pill in Sept. after being on it for about 6 years (minus when my son was born) and without going into too many details, let''s just say my hubby is a happy camper and doesn''t want me to go back on
2.gif

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
I just came off Microgetin Fe about a month ago (December 14th) and so far I haven''t noticed too much change. My sex drive is starting to inch it''s way back up (no pun intended) but it''s a slow progress.

Weight gain/weight loss I haven''t seen a dramatic change at all.

My skin is being a lil pesky and I am a bit weepy and moody from time to time which could be from stress or other factors besides the BC.

Using condoms for the first time in 8 years....feels really awkward...and that rubbery smell....ick :razz:

Oh well, I feel like such a guy for complaining....anyways, good to see that everyone is plugging along!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bia Ugh, what an awful experience! I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen also. It''s funny, I don''t remember side effects when I went on BC, but I know I''ve been moody for as long as I can remember. It''s weird that I never made the association.

Glad things are getting better for you, and I definitely agree that the pill did more harm than good. Obviously it''s not that way for everyone, but a really significant number of us on PS have had bad experiences.

LOL, Steph! FF is happy I''m off too. He hasn''t gotten it this often since we first started dating.
31.gif

PrincessDijon Yeah, my libido "inched" initially, but it seems to have come back in nearly full force, so hopefully things get better for you, too!

Ditto to the condom thing. It''s weird using them again, but I don''t care. I''m just so happy to be intimate again, that I''ll tolerate the funky smell and the brief interruption. I kinda feel like a guy too! Women feel the same way about condoms as men do! It DOES feel different. However, it''s better than feeling nothing at all!

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
So me and my now husband both wanted to wait until we were married to have sex, so a few months before the wedding I got on Yaz birth control and it completely ruined my sex drive...It was so frustrating because we were newlyweds and I never felt like having sex... I just got off the pill in February and Im starting to slowly get it back - I dont think ill ever take it BC again...

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
...and my BC gave me really bad headaches every day around 3ish and I was always nauseous....No wonder I didnt want to have sex...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m glad this thread is up again, I just went off the pill a week ago today! No change in libido or anything else yet.

I read ''Taking Charge of Your Fertility'' and am temping every day. I really recommend this book, I never really understood everything about my body until now! I feel like I''m doing a science experiment on myself with the temping, charting and cervical fluid
6.gif

Slightly off topic, I also started using the Diva Cup for my period this time and I luvs it! Good-bye tampons, you will not be missed!

Adah

Shiny_Rock
This is a very informative thread!

I have been on the pill for 5 years and went off for the last 3 months by Dr''s order, to do a double check that I was still ovulating and healthy in that area and I''m doing fine so as H2b and I want to wait a few years before children I will be goin back on this week. It has been nice knowing I haven''t been ''messing around'' with my fertility for the last few months but I like the security of the pill.

Sukii - Your body can be messed around alot with the pill so I wouldn''t worry to much unless the Dr says something is out of the norm
1.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I read this entire thread a while back, and it was very informative. It's neat to hear that so many of you like being off the pill.

Just wanted to throw in my current tidbit of information - I'm just now starting my second cycle off the pill (stopped taking it just over a month ago, had been on it for years). I had just gotten to where I felt bad, and was hating the thought of pumping my body full of fake hormones. Now I feel so much better. Moods are better, I feel happier most of the time, my energy is higher, and best of all, my cramps are SOOOO not as bad!!!!!
36.gif
Usually at this day with AF I'm laid up with the heating pad and am full of ibuprofen!
9.gif

FI and I are waiting till we get married for
31.gif
, but he's fine with using other methods when the time comes. I'm learning about those now.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read the entire thread and it is very informative! I just came off the pill after being on it for 6 years...tired of all the side effects. Only problem is my period seems like it won''t go away has anyone else had this problem?

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:54:37 PM
Author: pichuchy21
I''ve read the entire thread and it is very informative! I just came off the pill after being on it for 6 years...tired of all the side effects. Only problem is my period seems like it won''t go away has anyone else had this problem?
What do you mean? Like it last longer??

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 11:47:58 PM
Author: laurenfischer5
Date: 5/25/2009 8:54:37 PM

Author: pichuchy21

What do you mean? Like it last longer??
Yeah I had it for a full blown 7 days and now I have been spotting very lightly...I hope it stops soon. I hate having my period.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results