shape
carat
color
clarity

BG vs WF

cangem

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. About to make a big purchase... So thankful for this community. Having trouble deciding between the BG diamond, or the 1.45 C ACA... I included some other WF ones I'm contemplating.

I was informed that the WF 1.45 C scope did not look good... Is that true? I have no idea how to read these things...

Would H color of the BG diamond be too yellow next to white gold? Any thoughts if these VS1 inclusions matter?

Thanks!

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.548-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104104601058

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4117822,4066989,4049809,4121104

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the ACA's proportions and color over the BG. Plus you get a better upgrade policy with WF.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s either/or, pick one. WF upgrade policy is easier, but the BG upgrade policy is certainly do able.

At this point, it’s splitting hairs.

H is totally fine for white metal.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I looked at them all. The BG one is certainly within ideal parameters, but is just slightly deeper than the others, but not by much.

To me, it would be between the BG one and ACA 1.45 G.

So between those two, the BG is a little bigger but H color and the ACA Is just slightly smaller (look at mm measurements) but one grade higher color. You would not be able to tell which color was which (most likely) if they were side by side.

BG 7.40 x 7.42 x 4.59
ACA 7.30 x 7.32 x 4.49

So in the end, do you want larger or whiter? It’s basically either/or

cangem

Rough_Rock
Is there any difference between the scopes of the two? Is it even worthwhile to look at the scopes of these stones since... in theory, some one with more experience has looked at them?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone who works at BG :wink2:
Ask them specifically what is wrong with the images.
Other than the stone is tilted 2-3 degrees to the right in the is and aset image im not seeing anything.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is sort of a cheap shot to say that the IS image is not good - particularly if you are considering buying one of their stones or one from another vendor. If I were them, I would rather concentrate on the attributes of their stone rather than picking someone else’s apart. That would be a big turn off for me as I truly don’t see anything wrong with it. I just don’t personally care for that type of salesmanship.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WF. The customer service and upgrade policy are much better.

I’ve encountered unprofessional customer service from a BG rep who badmouthed a competing vendor’s light image report as well. She was crass, unpleasant to work with and is why I will never purchase a stone from them.

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have had phenomenal service during multiple purchases from BGD in the past. While I’ve never purchased from WF, their communication and service has also always been top notch in my limited experience. I will honestly say that BGD went above and beyond in my dealings with them. They were courteous and very accommodating, even during smaller purchases, with some unusual requests, and when I was clearly looking for a good ‘deal’.

My preference for dealing with BGD in the past in case you’re wondering, is mainly because I am a fan of their BGD blue line (very few stones at WF with fluoro).

I wonder if there’s one sales rep who keeps bagging out competitor stones? I’ve never encountered this with them. I also haven’t purchased anything from them in the last 12 months. It is a bit off putting.

Are you more concerned about colour or size? There’s a significant price jump between the stones. But their sizes and colour grades are quite different. I’m not getting a great feeling for what your priority is... because if it’s down to cut, I feel like they’re probably quite similar to my eyes! I don’t think many people (not me anyway) are quite discerning enough to look at two super ideals and definitively call one ‘better’.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is sort of a cheap shot to say that the IS image is not good - particularly if you are considering buying one of their stones or one from another vendor. If I were them, I would rather concentrate on the attributes of their stone rather than picking someone else’s apart. That would be a big turn off for me as I truly don’t see anything wrong with it. I just don’t personally care for that type of salesmanship.

Ditto! Another BGD employee recently did the same/similar thing ... dogging out a WF ACA someone wanted to trade toward a BGD purchase. Definitely a turn-off and unprofessional, and doesn’t seem the other person’s experience was an ‘isolated incident’.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, based upon the size/color comparison, which is a higher priority? Are either of you color sensitive? Super ideals hide/mask color within near-colorless range, depending on the owner’s sensitivity. It’s all about the individual wearing the ring.
If that individual is fine with H color, I’d go with max spread. If not, I’d go with the G.
What do YOU think?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree...I'd much rather hear that WF's stones are nice but ours has (fill in the blank) and we offer these services.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree...I'd much rather hear that WF's stones are nice but ours has (fill in the blank) and we offer these services.

Yep, but not the first time we've seen this behavior from BG reps.

@cangem, I see nothing in the 1.45 ACA that would render it inferior to the BG stone you're considering. As others have said, any customer service rep saying as much is taking a cheap shot, and based off of that alone I would choose to work with WF. I always prefer working with reps who keep it classy and focus on the positives of their own offerings when trying to win over a customer.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not impressed with the other vendor telling a lie about the other vendor's stone.:nono:

So Whiteflash is my choice regardless of what stone you choose. G VS1 is kind of my holy grail specs for a H&A stone. I'd buy that 1.45 G VS1 in any day. In fact, I am considering buying one close to that size for a pendant.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, but not the first time we've seen this behavior from BG reps.

@cangem, I see nothing in the 1.45 ACA that would render it inferior to the BG stone you're considering. As others have said, any customer service rep saying as much is taking a cheap shot, and based off of that alone I would choose to work with WF. I always prefer working with reps who keep it classy and focus on the positives of their own offerings when trying to win over a customer.

Ditto! Sounds like the BGD sales team needs a refresher on promoting their own products’ “positives” as well as how to communicate their value proposition to customers, because this ‘trash the competition’ approach just continuously reduces any respect for them/their reputation I had.

IMO: the WF 1.45 ACA has a cleaner clarity plot, higher color, lower price tag for essentially the same face-up size, and WF offers a better/less restrictive upgrade benefit. THAT is how you differentiate a product from a value prop perspective, and for those reasons (BGD’s BS aside) that is why I would go with WF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results