shape
carat
color
clarity

BF wants to know what I want! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigapplebaby

Rough_Rock
My beau is chomping at the bit- g-d bless him! He keeps asking what I want and over the weekend, his best girlfriend asked me too! Now I''m stressed! I''ve started looking... but I figured it couldn''t hurt to reach out to get some advice. He''s in the 2 carat range from what I know.

Here''s where I am at the moment. I used to think I liked emerald or asscher cuts but when I put them on, I realized I wanted something with a lot more sparkle. Solitare diamonds looks a little lonely to me ... a few friends on the side or around the band wouldn''t hurt.
emwink.gif
I''m leaning towards a cushion cut (but am willing to consider others)

I have no idea where to start. I went to Tiffany and Co. to try some styles and liked the new Novo cushion cut (not on the website US yet) over round and oval:

http://www.tiffany.co.jp/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_novo.aspx?

We''re planning to go the wholesale diamond route... which will be great to maximize affordability and quality but adds to the number of choices and settings and it''s all overwhelming.

My ring size is 4.5. My taste is classic but contemporary. I have been leaning towards antique settings because they seem to be more interesting/unique. Pave, milgrain etching, delicate baskets all catch my eye. Nothing set too high though and heavy prongs covering the center stone is no good. Haven''t tried split shanks yet but again- it''s different. He, does not favor, the halo (a friend of mine has it).

Thinking with small hands, I should go with something delicate especially if I want to wear a wedding band on the same hand. However, since I''m left handed, I may opt for moving my engagement ring to my right had and wearing my wedding band alone on my left.

Any direction/thoughts are MUCH appreciated
emlove.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I always direct people here first because it offers such I wide range of styles. Click away! Give us a few ideas of what you really like and then we can go from there.

https://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx

*M*

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
In show me the ring the pinned post with everyones ring is always a good place to start as well as the celebrity ring thread. It took me over 6 months to design my ring the way I wanted it and we decided to go the custom route as im that picky
2.gif
Good luck in your search!! Just pour over magazines and go to lots of stores and see what grabs you.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome!

From what you described, I am thinking a cushion center, set in a thin pave setting, like the Ritani...That setting has that fabulous scoopy head and the delicate prongs/look like you want...Here is a link to Silverlily's cushion in the Ritani endless love setting(although her cushion is about 3 cts, I believe)...its just gorgeous!!! Good luck, and let us know what you decide!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-is-here-3-10-cushion-in-ritani-setting.55469/

eta: I am assuming you are located in NY? If so, when you are ready contact Mark at engagementringsdirect.com...He is a very popular, well respected vendor around here, and especially if you want a cushion- he is the cushion man!!!!! Has found many gorgeous stones for fellow PSers.....
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 1:01:03 AM
Author: poptart
I always direct people here first because it offers such I wide range of styles. Click away! Give us a few ideas of what you really like and then we can go from there.

https://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx

*M*
or the eye candy folder in smtr!! show me the ring - it''s the top post always! at the top drop down under forum it''s 3rd down, top post.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Nuevo cushion has arrows... it looks very much like a square hearts and arrows to me. GOG would have those. I would definitely look at Ritani for the setting as others have suggested.

When it come to cushions there are many different plots/designs for cushions... I wouls start with that ... look this thread on FAQ as a great place to start. I also found that the canary diamond cushion on TheDiamond.com were very helpful for me to figure out which plot I liked... some plots produce a cushion that resembles a radiant almost, other produce ones that look a little like antique cuts.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 12:52:32 AM
Author:bigapplebaby
My ring size is 4.5. My taste is classic but contemporary.
Since she just posted, have you seen Facetfire's ring? It's gorgeous! Here's a Pearlmans. Check out the side view - DROOL!

There is a PS'er named "timmy!" who used this setting for a cushion-cut ruby, so I'm sure it would work for you if you get a cushion diamond.

PS - WELCOME TO PRICESCOPE!!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FF''s ring is stunning, isn''t it?

Date: 1/17/2007 3:05:15 PM
Author: FacetFire
Perhaps something like this stunner: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1255/ (2.11 I SI sq H&A)

or if want a higher color and clarity: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2106/ (1.7 G VS sq H&A)

Those square H&As are gorgeous!!! It definitely looks like the Tiffany stone...only prettier I think!
And of these two, if the 2.11 carat is eyeclean... I would DEFINITELY get that one. G to I in a stone this well cut isn''t going to be huge... and we are talking .5mm difference! That, to me is a HUGE difference in spread.

bigapplebaby

Rough_Rock
WOW! First of all, thanks so much for all the replies! I figured I was way too vague for anyone to even bother replying. The fact that y''all did is one thing... what is downright scary is that could profile me so PRECISELY in one little email. I mean, seriously, I feel like you are looking over my shoulder!!
emsmileo.gif

So Dani, I love the Silverlilly''s Ritani setting! (I had seen it last night before I wrote my post!!) Band may be a tad thin but if my center stone is smaller, maybe not.

Gypsy is dead on with the hearts and arrows... those are the ones I''m drawn to (atleast in the pictures) and several are GOG in the eye candy section. So thank you to Facetfire too! I''m taking some info on plot designs home with me tonight to bone up.

In searching the designer page (as per poptart), I selected the following:

- Facetfire''s M.Bondanza setting (Starryeyed is FREAKIN'' me out!)- I love the diamonds around the center stone like that. I''ve never seen anything like it. Gorgeous!

- Michael B (#4891)- 3-sided pave is pretty the diamond prongs and tips are just lovely (great way to disguise the prong!)

- Gumuchian Fils (#59J1)- I like the split shank at the top- just a bit and not too wide or long.

- Daniel K- Regal- love the basket and low-ish setting

- Like Verragio (ENG00649) and (0184-- interesting mix of side stones)

- like the twisting ones- Kretchmer ones are clean but "lonely" (no sparkling friends!
emwink.gif
). PS''ers Snufkin and Greg G are unique as is Garry Halloway''s 016

- Mark Morrell, I seem to like a lot, in general. I keep picking out pictures of what he''s done.

Okay- so YAY!
36.gif
I feel like I''ve made some progress...

What do you think, poptart (and others)? Where to from here?
I''m hooked!
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 6:43:58 PM
Author: bigapplebaby
WOW! First of all, thanks so much for all the replies! I figured I was way too vague for anyone to even bother replying. The fact that y''all did is one thing... what is downright scary is that could profile me so PRECISELY in one little email. I mean, seriously, I feel like you are looking over my shoulder!!
emsmileo.gif

So Dani, I love the Silverlilly''s Ritani setting! (I had seen it last night before I wrote my post!!) Band may be a tad thin but if my center stone is smaller, maybe not.

Gypsy is dead on with the hearts and arrows... those are the ones I''m drawn to (atleast in the pictures) and several are GOG in the eye candy section. So thank you to Facetfire too! I''m taking some info on plot designs home with me tonight to bone up.

In searching the designer page (as per poptart), I selected the following:

- Facetfire''s M.Bondanza setting (Starryeyed is FREAKIN'' me out!)- I love the diamonds around the center stone like that. I''ve never seen anything like it. Gorgeous!

- Michael B (#4891)- 3-sided pave is pretty the diamond prongs and tips are just lovely (great way to disguise the prong!)

- Gumuchian Fils (#59J1)- I like the split shank at the top- just a bit and not too wide or long.

- Daniel K- Regal- love the basket and low-ish setting

- Like Verragio (ENG00649) and (0184-- interesting mix of side stones)

- like the twisting ones- Kretchmer ones are clean but ''lonely'' (no sparkling friends!
emwink.gif
). PS''ers Snufkin and Greg G are unique as is Garry Halloway''s 016

- Mark Morrell, I seem to like a lot, in general. I keep picking out pictures of what he''s done.

Okay- so YAY!
36.gif
I feel like I''ve made some progress...

What do you think, poptart (and others)? Where to from here?
I''m hooked!
35.gif
Roadtrip to Pearlman''s

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I second a trip to Pearlman''s for you. And maybe look at a few Ritani pieces as well. They have very delicate pave, which is really attractive. Maybe do a search on them on this forum to get a few pictures in mind.

*M*

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I''d give Bill Pearlman a call. He is wonderful. If you can narrow it down to two favorites or so, he might even send them out for you to see in person. That''s what he did for me and my FI, because we were nowhere near his store. You don''t happen to live anywhere near his store in Michigan, do you?

bigapplebaby

Rough_Rock
I live in New York City so that would be quite a roadtrip! I did spend the most time on the Pearlman''s site though... Perhaps when we get closer and narrow the field, I will call them. I would never have thought of that! Thx!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely, Bigapplebaby, call Bill Pearlman. I live in NJ, and I have worked with him...I too was (and still am) very interested in a Ritani setting. I called him up in the fall-I had 2 settings that I liked (one of the Gumuchian's and the Ritani) and he sent both to me to have a look at in person! Great customer service and he is super nice! I haven't gone through with the remount for my EC yet, but when I do I will surely work with him. So, narrow down your setting/stone choices, and then give him a call.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 6:43:58 PM
Author: bigapplebaby
Ha-ha! You''re funny BigApple! Glad I could help. I know the folks here have helped me tons.

Facetfire''s setting should win an award or something. It''s such a stunner! I wish I had seen it myself before starting down the custom route for my e-ring-to-be!

Since you''re in NY, you should totally pound the pavement and see what the designers are putting out there and what looks good on your hand. Whatever you do, DON"T tell the salesperson anything about your online searches - they generally get defensive, unpleasant, and condescending when you mention the internet.

Good luck!

bigapplebaby

Rough_Rock
You guys are the best! Thanks! So glad I stumbled upon this site! It does introduce another totally-naive-I-have-no-idea-what-I''m-doing question.
33.gif

I have some NY family in "the biz"- they sell diamonds wholesale. My mom and I always figured we''d steer my guy in that direction. However, my boyfriend has a close friend who''s family owns a diamond business downtown. My bf has sent a lot of people to his store so his friend kinda "owes him." I subtly reminded my bf of the family connection and he said that it was his gift to me so he''s going to go through his friend. (My mom is going to flip! But that''s fair enough...)

My concern is quality and price... especially given that cushions are harder to find. What does "wholesale" mean versus the friend who owns the jewelry store? And where do pricescope vendors like Mark T. fall into the mix??

I assume that should I need to "educate" my BF on the finer points (especially if it means a less expensive and better diamond), he would be swayed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is that 99% of the time, the diamonds we see purchased as good deals from the family friend and posted here were A) not a good deal, and B) not as good a diamond as could have been purchased through vendors who specialize in fine diamonds with excellent light performance and optical symmetry.

What I''d really advise you to do is tell him to tell the family friend that he just wants to SEE what he has but not commit to buying. Then get photos of the stone and the certificates and post them on here to get some unbiased opinions. At the very least you can find out if the stone is a good deal or if you are overpaying. Seriously, we have seen bad situations posted on here. And there really is no such thing as wholesale unless he gives you the stone for the price he paid the supplier.

Here''s a new ring that was just posted that has a cushion in a Danhov setting:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-cushion-with-a-story.56460/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and one more thing. If I were in NY, I''d have Jonathan at Good Old Gold find me a cushion. I bought a round from him, and I feel he does an outstanding job finding beautiful stones for people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 12:25:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh, and one more thing. If I were in NY, I''d have Jonathan at Good Old Gold find me a cushion. I bought a round from him, and I feel he does an outstanding job finding beautiful stones for people.

RE: GOG. As far as I know, GOG is the only one of the PS vendors that carry the square Hearts and Arrows cut diamond. AND I don''t know of another cushion (other than the nuevo) that has the Hearts and Arrows you like. So I would definitely give him a call and take a short road tip to Long Island to see the diamonds in person WITH your BF. However, if you decide you like a more generic cushion plot, I would give Mark T a call. His prices seem to be a bit lower than GOG for generic cushions (just my personal observation), and the cushions he finds are amazing.

Also, with regard to settings, I definitely agree with the Pearlman''s suggestions.

And I agree 100% with what DS (diamondseeker) said about "friends in the trade" and the "deals" that people seem to get.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 12:23:29 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
What I''d really advise you to do is tell him to tell the family friend that he just wants to SEE what he has but not commit to buying. Then get photos of the stone and the certificates and post them on here to get some unbiased opinions. At the very least you can find out if the stone is a good deal or if you are overpaying. Seriously, we have seen bad situations
This is an excellent idea! You could do the same with your family in the business as well. There is no need to commit to buying from any one - family or friend - if they are not getting you what you want at a great price. Keep the playing field level and keep your options open. If the family and the friend know they have to compete, you''re better off.

Do you have any preferences regarding color and clarity? This is usually a good place to start so dealers can source stones that you might like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results