- Dec 13, 2006
In early November my fiance and I began looking at rings, she expected that we would get engaged sometime nex year (around February or March) In late december I decided I would propose to her on 12/16, we were hosting a holiday party and I was going to fly her 3 best friends to Atlanta from Florida in for the party and so she could show off her ring. While in NY we went to Tiffanys and she tried on their new cushion cut and she just loved it but I couldnt pay $24,000 for a stone so I had to find another option. I did know that she 100% wanted a cushion but also wanted it to sparkle.
The first week of December I was looking at stones with good old gold, Whiteflash and Blue Nile all of which gave me a 12/8 dealine to have it done by 12/16. I wound up choosing a Whiteflash stone which was the best I found but not exactly what I wanted. Because of my time deadline they werent able to give me great photos (which was my own fault). I spent a lot of time that week talking to Tim @ GOG and felt I should call and tell him I found another stone and thank him for my efforts. He thanked me for giving them the opportunity and asked why I chose something else. I told him and he suggested he would send someone to NY City the following Monday specifically to find what I wanted. I agreed.
Monday 12/11 3 PM. Tim calls and says they found EXACTLY what I was looking for and they were bringing it in, they would make a video for me on Tuesday to look at and we would still be able to meet Friday deadline based on setting I picked from them.
Tuesday 12/12 12 PM, I get the video from Tim showing me the stone and I LOVE it. I ask if they can put the stone in the setting so I can see them together. they cannot until the next day
Wed 12/13 11 AM , I get photos of the stone in the setting and I dont like it at all, they tell me I need to choose a new setting by 4 PM or ring cannot get finished.
12 PM, after seeing a post from PS, I call James Allen to see if the Danhov #15 setting is available for purchase and turnaround time, I am told 4-5 days, I ask if there is any was to speed that up and they say not really. I offer to pay more and tell the story that I have a stone I love, I hate the setting, I'm supposed to propose on Saturday. I wind up talking to Jim (the president) who says that they can set the stone by Saturday but needs the specs immediately and the stone overnighted from NY to LA. I immediately send the specs and good old gold agrees to ship the stone overnight for me.
Thurs 12/14 3 PM , With no email or call I figure no news is good news, I got an confirmation from Fedex that the stone was received but to be safe I send James Allen an email. I get a response that no news is not good news and the wax did not get done the night before and they are a day behind. He then says that I should not worry because they decided to make the ring by hand which takes longer in man hours but does not need to sit overnight. He says they will still meet dealine and ring will ship tomorrow.
Fri 12/15 1 PM, I get a tracking number from Danhov that the ring is being shipped Saturday delivery to Atlanta, I finally breathe for the first time this week
Sat 12/16 10 AM, I realize that I left my license at the office and have no way to pick up the Fedex package. I call the center and they agree to let me pick up with my birth certificate and social security card (thank goodness).
11 AM. I pick up the ring and it is outstanding
2 PM, I propose and she says yes!!!