shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel solitaire reset...again?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that Sholdt setting! I also used to have a closed gallery bezel and I know exactly what you mean about holding water. I would shake my hand 20 min later and a water droplet would fly out, so annoying.

So I’m NOT crazy!!!!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, you are not crazy at all. I literally kept a can of compressed air at my desk at work to blow the water out after I washed my hands in the bathroom. I loved that setting but HATED the closed gallery and would never have that style again.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
CADs are here!!!!

I love it - the only thing I can't tell is how rounded the shank is! I really don't want a straight, pipe looking shank.

Anything else anyone notices?

Steve Quick - R523.2.jpg Steve Quick - R523.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.59.37 PM.png

This is what I had in mind - I sent it to them to see if they can soften the edges - the CADs do not seem quite like this....

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s late here and I’m off to bed, but quickly, I don’t see the gentle reverse taper up to the center stone inspiration pic that you showed in your post #17 on this thread. The pavilion will also be vulnerable with the open gallery, so no diamond band with this ering without a buffer/spacer band.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think you should give this more time. As you said, you had already changed your ring and you are still engaged. I fear you are still not going to love the next one. There will be something unforeseen that you won’t like and then what will you do? You said you like low-set rings and now you are considering getting one that is higher set. While you would have a “straight” edge for the band to sit against, on profile you will have the diamond sitting up higher so in that
context they are not fully flush and I don’t know if you will like the e-ring higher than the band. Given you are on the verge of getting a 3rd so quickly, I really feel you don’t know what you want and are rushing into it. I just don’t want you to be disappointed again and I don’t know how much more your fiancé is going to be willing to be supportive of, not to mention the negativity you will receive from others. What did your first engagement ring look like? Do you like the current one more than the 1st? The current is a beautiful ring. How about seeing if your jeweler could make a notch/cut-out in the current wedding band so it will fit flush with the e-ring? I think that’s a reasonable and economical way to feel better about it and try that out before starting over and spending more money at this point. If you ultimately decide to scrap it, you will have at least given it a shot at problem-solving part of what you aren’t happy with (which may lead you to liking a lot more about it, or some of what you consider negatives will fade away in your mind). And I would tell your fiancé that you would like to do this more simplistic, economical “adjustment” for right now, but if you still aren’t happy with it after wearing it for awhile then perhaps after the wedding you would like to make a change. I think that is reasonable. And with this modest adjustment all the naysayers will be none the wiser as it will still be the same ring. If anyone actually notices that It now fits flush, you can say your jeweler made an adjustment so they fit together better and your e-ring won’t get damaged by them rubbing. Maybe you will like it more. Give it a chance. And then what I suggest is later on, get a diamond band of the same width as the other 2 to stack onto the Other side of the plain wedding band. And have that band matched in a style coordinating with how your diamond is set and the bezel edge embellishment. That would be gorgeous. And then you could wear the diamond band as a stand-alone when you don’t want to wear the e-ring. You could even get it to wear at the wedding. It is not uncommon for people to get both a plain wedding band AND a diamond band for the wedding. Take it from me, over 30 years married and having made numerous setting and diamond changes. I was always too quick to jump and make a change. I feel horrible putting my husband through it and all the money I’ve thrown away. My in-laws think I’m a nutcase! My friends have just resigned themselves that I can never be satisfied. I feel you are headed on the same course as me. There are elements to this current one you like and I think you should focus on them. TRUST ME when I say if you change you will like things on that one yet other things you do not once you have it and scrutinize it. And then you will say to yourself that you liked the way this or that was on the previous (what you currently have now). I’m not saying don’t ever change it. I’m just saying give it a rest now and give it a chance. Get the band altered to fit flush around the basket of your e-ring which is gorgeous. If they fit together you won’t feel they are too narrow. And then you have the finger room to add that diamond band. I really don’t think you will be happy with the e-ring sitting higher than the band based on what I’m hearing from your initial post. I say all this in the most heartfelt and caring manner and not in a critical context. As for the hand washing situation, just give a good shake and a good wipe. Each type of setting has its own issue and some don’t see it as an issue, and others (like you and me!) focus on them. We are just hyper-sensitive to details which is a good thing in some aspects of life, but a bit of torture in others (like ring mounting details!). As for cleaning, soak overnight in a small dish of boiling water with a few drops of Dawn (pour water in first and then add ring). In the morning give a good scrub with soft small brush into every crevice and rinse with the hottest water that won’t burn your fingers (make sure stopper is engaged over sink drain!). I think this will solve your cleaning issue.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think you should give this more time. As you said, you had already changed your ring and you are still engaged. I fear you are still not going to love the next one. There will be something unforeseen that you won’t like and then what will you do? You said you like low-set rings and now you are considering getting one that is higher set. While you would have a “straight” edge for the band to sit against, on profile you will have the diamond sitting up higher so in that
context they are not fully flush and I don’t know if you will like the e-ring higher than the band. Given you are on the verge of getting a 3rd so quickly, I really feel you don’t know what you want and are rushing into it. I just don’t want you to be disappointed again and I don’t know how much more your fiancé is going to be willing to be supportive of, not to mention the negativity you will receive from others. What did your first engagement ring look like? Do you like the current one more than the 1st? The current is a beautiful ring. How about seeing if your jeweler could make a notch/cut-out in the current wedding band so it will fit flush with the e-ring? I think that’s a reasonable and economical way to feel better about it and try that out before starting over and spending more money at this point. If you ultimately decide to scrap it, you will have at least given it a shot at problem-solving part of what you aren’t happy with (which may lead you to liking a lot more about it, or some of what you consider negatives will fade away in your mind). And I would tell your fiancé that you would like to do this more simplistic, economical “adjustment” for right now, but if you still aren’t happy with it after wearing it for awhile then perhaps after the wedding you would like to make a change. I think that is reasonable. And with this modest adjustment all the naysayers will be none the wiser as it will still be the same ring. If anyone actually notices that It now fits flush, you can say your jeweler made an adjustment so they fit together better and your e-ring won’t get damaged by them rubbing. Maybe you will like it more. Give it a chance. And then what I suggest is later on, get a diamond band of the same width as the other 2 to stack onto the Other side of the plain wedding band. And have that band matched in a style coordinating with how your diamond is set and the bezel edge embellishment. That would be gorgeous. And then you could wear the diamond band as a stand-alone when you don’t want to wear the e-ring. You could even get it to wear at the wedding. It is not uncommon for people to get both a plain wedding band AND a diamond band for the wedding. Take it from me, over 30 years married and having made numerous setting and diamond changes. I was always too quick to jump and make a change. I feel horrible putting my husband through it and all the money I’ve thrown away. My in-laws think I’m a nutcase! My friends have just resigned themselves that I can never be satisfied. I feel you are headed on the same course as me. There are elements to this current one you like and I think you should focus on them. TRUST ME when I say if you change you will like things on that one yet other things you do not once you have it and scrutinize it. And then you will say to yourself that you liked the way this or that was on the previous (what you currently have now). I’m not saying don’t ever change it. I’m just saying give it a rest now and give it a chance. Get the band altered to fit flush around the basket of your e-ring which is gorgeous. If they fit together you won’t feel they are too narrow. And then you have the finger room to add that diamond band. I really don’t think you will be happy with the e-ring sitting higher than the band based on what I’m hearing from your initial post. I say all this in the most heartfelt and caring manner and not in a critical context. As for the hand washing situation, just give a good shake and a good wipe. Each type of setting has its own issue and some don’t see it as an issue, and others (like you and me!) focus on them. We are just hyper-sensitive to details which is a good thing in some aspects of life, but a bit of torture in others (like ring mounting details!). As for cleaning, soak overnight in a small dish of boiling water with a few drops of Dawn (pour water in first and then add ring). In the morning give a good scrub with soft small brush into every crevice and rinse with the hottest water that won’t burn your fingers (make sure stopper is engaged over sink drain!). I think this will solve your cleaning issue.

I appreciate it. Really, a lot. I hear what you are saying.

I have already sent the ring off, and it is with Sholdt now. The other ring is already gone. I feel no pang of remorse about it.

I feel confident that I don't want the previous setting(s), the first, or the second. I am the type of person that makes snap judgments as you observed, but once I have made it, there really is no going back. I have made my fair share of mistakes that way, and I have also made some great decisions that way too. Maybe "3" is my magic number. I went to three schools for undergrad. 2 for grad. Have moved around constantly. Chose 3 cities to live in as an adult. I am only now learning how to discern what I really like. It tends to take a lot of flitting about for me to figure out what I like beneath it all. And once I do, I tend to be satisfied. If that makes sense. I went into a sapphire search looking at color change, teal montana sapphires and came out with a vivid, bright blue madacasgar sapphire. It took a lot of tinkering and research to get there and figure out my priorities and I love what I got.

My first e-ring setting was a 6-prong, uber dainty setting. I hated it. I didn't know just looking at it, it looked pretty, all with a sales rep staring at me and having to decide if it was the setting I wanted to wear every single day for the rest of my life, 3 sizes too small and couldn't even get it over my knuckles, in 5 minutes during a lunch break. I hadn't tried on many others, at all. That was foolish but honestly I don't think I could have really known better. It was way too thin, the knife shank was uncomfortable, prongs snagged on everything. I had the prongs repaired twice. Once "fixed" another time re-tipped to see if it helped my sensitivity. I realized beyond the shadow of a doubt that I was sensitive about the "feeling" of prongs, and wanted a bezel. It was hands down the right choice, and I have no regrets. It took me experiencing it, living with it, to realize it. I couldn't have known that trying it on.

The second ring....well, I had honestly looked at this Sholdt setting way back. My fiance is very sentimental and wanted the floral basket to carry through, and similar proportions to remind him of the first setting. I thought it was a beautiful compromise, and learned through experience it wasn't ultimately what I wanted.... I also didn't know the basket would catch water. I am very "touch" sensitive. It is hard to explain - but I have shaken and rubbed that ring with towels and it didn't matter. Style wise...the vendor I went to had no bands for me to try on, and they didn't really help me understand that the setting would prohibit me from having a flush sitting band.

I don't care much for diamond bands with e-rings (personal preference), other than channel or bezel set sometimes, maybe plain gold with engraving. I am not very concerned about pairing my ring with a diamond band. Even if I do, I have PLENTY of finger room. My hands are far above the average size. I wear a 7.5, and my hands are as large as most mens (I am not exaggerating). I am 6'1, long limbed and realized the dainty thin band really gets swallowed given my size and didn't feel better about it with a 2mm matching wedding band.

I know you may be right. I honestly don't know for certain. I had the setting in question for 6 months, and felt the way I do now very shortly after I got it and just tried not to think about it, but once the idea of having to shell out $1k for a dinky 2mm wedding band I didn't like came up, I knew I couldn't do it. I bought about 10 different sterling silver rings in different widths, styles and heights to wear around the house, try on with the ring, etc. I realized I really did want something more substantial overall.

The higher sitting diamond - is a good point. I will raise it to Sholdt - I said I wanted low set but I don't have a strong sense of what is or isn't considered low set and how it compares to my old ring which I should investigate.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ahh yes - you are right!!! I tried on both in person at a local retailer and preferred the straight shank.

Good call out..

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 I totally get EVERYTHING you have said. I think you are my long, lost sister, we are alike in many ways! I really respect and admire your decision and COURAGE to take the leap of faith to get something that will make you love your ring. I am very excited for you and look forward to seeing your new ring!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 I totally get EVERYTHING you have said. I think you are my long, lost sister, we are alike in many ways! I really respect and admire your decision and COURAGE to take the leap of faith to get something that will make you love your ring. I am very excited for you and look forward to seeing your new ring!!!

I really REALLY appreciate it. Your post was right on the money! So far, the choice feels very right. Of course, time will tell. Life throws all sorts of fun little curve balls, doesn't it?

It is so hard to explain to people...who aren't particular. I am either so extremely detail oriented and care very much about things that other people overlook (and vice versa), or very very abstract and big picture. Never really in between. Most people also look at me like I am CRAZY when I explain my rationale for things and I am rarely able to ever really communicate what I mean and am honestly misunderstood a lot. It is probably why I try to over-explain things although it is usually futile...

Lucky for me - I rarely regret the decisions I make. Or at least, I have conditioned myself not to hold onto regret. Would probably make it too hard to move forward when you operate like we do.

My guess is, most people live in a middle ground. Must be nice there. I have taken up residence...someplace else. :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So - these are truly terrible quality photos - they are having serious internet troubles and had to take photos of the CADs.

They are lowering the height of the stone after this (THANK YOU @headlight for calling that out)

But they softened the edges of the shank / bezel. I think it will be PERFECT once the height of the stone is lowered a tad.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely like the round shape much better. Btw your cat is adorable! :D

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So - these are truly terrible quality photos - they are having serious internet troubles and had to take photos of the CADs.

They are lowering the height of the stone after this (THANK YOU @headlight for calling that out)

But they softened the edges of the shank / bezel. I think it will be PERFECT once the height of the stone is lowered a tad.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

I think you should ask for a profile view to make sure you are good with the height of it all. I don’t want you to think the bezel is too low after it is made. Compare with your initial photo. My comment regarding height was with regard to the level of the band being lower that the height of the e-ring. I wasn’t commenting on the height of the bezel, etc. I would ask for a side view and then compare to your original photo, and then decide about height. I just don’t want you to think it’s too compressed.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think you should ask for a profile view to make sure you are good with the height of it all. I don’t want you to think the bezel is too low after it is made. Compare with your initial photo. My comment regarding height was with regard to the level of the band being lower that the height of the e-ring. I wasn’t commenting on the height of the bezel, etc. I would ask for a side view and then compare to your original photo, and then decide about height. I just don’t want you to think it’s too compressed.

Yes. I see what you meant - I said low, without compromising design. I will clarify.

And the height of the band is the same as the e-ring (they confirmed) - the e ring seems to "rise above" only as it rises to meet the diamond....I don't know what the terms are. I find that aesthetically pleasing. I just didn't want a gap between the bands (that is what I am thinking when I say flush)

I will also ask for a side few - I don't want it to look "squat" - my guess it just needs to be a hair lower

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Awww thank you @scouty ! He is my little peanut - his name is Noodles! I have 3!

This is Cricket - the next is Noodles and his BFF Pinky
IMG-1946.jpg

IMG-1947 (1).jpg

OMG there are more!!! Such cuties and their names are adorable too.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful to me, but you are wearing it so it is what is pleasing to you. It looks as if you are getting the best of all "worlds" as far as design elements and your preferences are concerned. I'm really excited to see the finished product!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Awww thank you @scouty ! He is my little peanut - his name is Noodles! I have 3!

This is Cricket - the next is Noodles and his BFF Pinky
IMG-1946.jpg

IMG-1947 (1).jpg

Love love love the names you picked for your sweet little kitties! I dream of having a dog named Cricket. It's always been one of my favorite names.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Lowered slightly - I really like it

image001 (1).jpg

I think this CAD looks fantastic! (Though I am clearly biased since it is extremely similar to my ring. :))) The curve and shape of the shank, as well as the height of the stone are identical when I hold my ring in front of your CAD pictures.

How many mm wide and deep are the shank in this CAD? For reference, my asscher is 6.5mm wide and 4.5mm deep and the outer bezel measures 8.2mm. My shank is 2.2mm wide, 1.8m deep, and my ring is size 7.5.

I too have large bones and man hands, but I am much shorter than you and do not have a ton of space from knuckle to palm. At the time I ordered this ring I wanted to try a thinner shank look, but I sometimes wish I had gone with a 2.5mm shank (like the gold wedding band in the pic below) rather than the 2.2mm. IMG_1223.jpg

Here's the picture again for perspective, though I realize it's a bit different since your stone is round. I think the proportions on your CAD look perfect for your stone size and the look I believe you are aiming for.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think this CAD looks fantastic! (Though I am clearly biased since it is extremely similar to my ring. :))) The curve and shape of the shank, as well as the height of the stone are identical when I hold my ring in front of your CAD pictures.

How many mm wide and deep are the shank in this CAD? For reference, my asscher is 6.5mm wide and 4.5mm deep and the outer bezel measures 8.2mm. My shank is 2.2mm wide, 1.8m deep, and my ring is size 7.5.

I too have large bones and man hands, but I am much shorter than you and do not have a ton of space from knuckle to palm. At the time I ordered this ring I wanted to try a thinner shank look, but I sometimes wish I had gone with a 2.5mm shank (like the gold wedding band in the pic below) rather than the 2.2mm. IMG_1223.jpg

Here's the picture again for perspective, though I realize it's a bit different since your stone is round. I think the proportions on your CAD look perfect for your stone size and the look I believe you are aiming for.

I am SO excited! And yes your ring was such helpful inspiration!!!

I asked just to make double sure that the stone wasn't set too low, and leaving the pavilion more exposed / likely to hit the wedding ring. I want low set, but needed to make sure for peace of mind.

My guess is, it will probably be fine! I just would rather ask now than later!

I know the shank of both rings is 3mm wide - when I tried on rings in the store, it is what felt "right" and they brought out a similarly proportioned diamond for me to compare - don't know depth of the shank actually....my diamond is 8.2mm x 5mm. Hmm...now I am curious!!!

I also liked the 2.5mm, but felt it was even thin for me given the length of my fingers. I could still easily stack another band if I wanted to I bet with 2x 3mm shanks. I wonder if 2.5mm might be your sweet spot. If it is any consolation, I think your ring is beautiful. My shank was 1.9 actually, and it looks like even that 0.3mm makes all the difference when comparing yours to my last setting.

I like the look of thin bands on others, and thought I wanted it for myself...but it just isn't very flattering or substantial enough for me. So - I get it!

Reactions: BMI

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
It looks so good lowered like that, I'm loving the curved lines from the side view. Will you be having a smooth/shiny (not sure of the right term) or brushed finish?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It looks so good lowered like that, I'm loving the curved lines from the side view. Will you be having a smooth/shiny (not sure of the right term) or brushed finish?

Right? It’s dare I say...sexy? :lol:
I’m going for high polish!

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I could still easily stack another band if I wanted to I bet with 2x 3mm shanks.

Yeah, I'm a little green with envy right now about that. =)

I've seen pictures of women that have room to spare with 11mm worth of bands on their ring finger. Ahhh, so many options with long fingers.

Also, with the 3mm bands that do not appear in the CAD to be comfort fit (slightly rounded on the inner edge) I don't think you'll have any trouble with spinning rings from now on. I am so excited for you and truly hope you love your new rings!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'm a little green with envy right now about that. =)

I've seen pictures of women that have room to spare with 11mm worth of bands on their ring finger. Ahhh, so many options with long fingers.

Also, with the 3mm bands that do not appear in the CAD to be comfort fit (slightly rounded on the inner edge) I don't think you'll have any trouble with spinning rings from now on. I am so excited for you and truly hope you love your new rings!

Ahh they will be comfort fit actually - I confirmed with Sholdt since you are right - not in the CADs.

but I hope no more spinning!

Being tall and long limbed is a blessing and a curse - it may mean more ring space, but if it’s any consolation it isn’t all roses...I have to get custom made jeans due to my 36” inseam and can’t walk into a store to buy my honkin’ size 12 shoes! I had to even get custom made wedding shoes!

I guess there’s always a trade off! I envy every woman with a closet full of beautiful shoes! Half of mine are men’s...:lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
We are off to the races! CAD is now approved and Kalee is going to start making them...I’m going out of town to visit a girlfriend over 4th of July, so asked if I could have them done before then. Fingers crossed they are done in time!!!!

yeeeeeee SO excited! Steve from Steve Quick in Chicago has also been fabulous - he’s the local retailer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results