shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Jewelers in NY?

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
I’m really not comfortable going into too much detail. I’m sorry, I should have never even mentioned it. Seriously, it’s my bad. Was just trying to be helpful to OP, really did not intend to mean any harm. Really don’t want to upset this community. Now that I re-read what I wrote, my words were way too harsh, as I didn’t mean for it to come off like I was bashing. I have asked the moderator to delete my comments.

Also it sounds like my experience was a one off. I think you are in good hands. It’s hard for every vendor to make every potential client happy 100% of the time.

Again, my apologies for upsetting anyone.

Edit: “ethical” was too harsh of a word and don’t want it to be misinterpreted for those who have read my comment. What I meant by it is that I felt like they were pushy - less about patience with educating/answering my questions and more about getting the transaction done. However, this is just a personal feeling, it could very well be a NYC cultural thing or I’m just extra sensitive. Also, I had reached out to a super ideal vendor and GoG before this and they were both incredibly patient, understanding, no pressure at all type of attitude - so I guess I was just expecting every vendor to be this way and so it was an unfair comparison.

Last edited:

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
I honestly feel so bad right now :(2 I shouldn’t have said anything if I didn’t feel comfortable giving out all the details. And I should have re-read everything and chosen my words more wisely before posting. I was literally walking down the street today when I posted, so I didn’t think twice about how my words might come off to others or how they might be interpreted. Please don’t hate me!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Call and make appt with Chris at Brialliantly Engaged.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly feel so bad right now :(2 I shouldn’t have said anything if I didn’t feel comfortable giving out all the details. And I should have re-read everything and chosen my words more wisely before posting. I was literally walking down the street today when I posted, so I didn’t think twice about how my words might come off to others or how they might be interpreted. Please don’t hate me!
I sure don't hate you. And I bet everyone has posted something in haste at least once somewhere on the Internet that they subsequently regretted, or should have regretted. I do really appreciate your clarifying P.S. in your post #31 as "pushiness" was not my take-away from your (since deleted at your request) response to my comment.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been here for about 12+ years, and I have not heard of Forever Diamonds. Please stick with trusted vendors for your own protection.

For cushions, princess, and radiants, ID Jewelry and Diamonds by Lauren are good choices. Both can access fine quality settings, but you could also use Steven Kirsch who is also in the diamond district if you want very fine quality. That's likely what I'd do if I wanted to do it locally. Meet them, and then choose one to help you when you are ready to buy. They can all pretty much access the same stones. They will call some in that meet your specs and budget when you return to buy. But you must make appointments for this visit and definitely for the buying visit.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call and make appt with Chris at Brialliantly Engaged.
@Girl505 you'll see at post #15 in this thread
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-style-cushion-cut-ering.243104/#post-4399893
that I suggested Brilliantly Engaged to Dynaholic who's shooting for a Tiffany Soleste-inspired ring & has budgeted about $10,000 for a cushion-cut diamond for the center stone. But I wouldn't make BE a priority on your initial exploration foray unless you've have scrolled through BE's ring settings pages
https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/engagement-rings
and seen one or more designs that make your heart sing and your wallet happy.

Brilliantly Engaged -- or Engagement Rings Direct as they were known at the time -- is one of the several jewelers my late father-in-law (a diamond wholesaler here in NYC before semi-retiring to a retail sales position at Wempe) would suggest to friends and neighbors (he never wanted to get more involved with their jewelry purchases) who weren't interested in paying the price for a hand-forged ring by, e.g., Steven Kirsch.

Eternity by Yoni, a longtime PS sponsor, was another of my FIL's recommendations, and his settings have been generally priced a bit lower than BE. More about Yoni here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yoni-or-tiffany.235966/#post-4256728
Were you to decide that you want a halo ring reminiscent of those offered by Harry Winston or Tiffany -- but without the price tag of Steven Kirsch's lovingly fabricated rings, I'd be suggesting making an appointment with Yoni.

But honestly, I think visiting the 3 vendors you've already identified (one of whom will involve travel from/to Manhattan) is plenty for the short time you will be in town & you'll see a nice representational sampling of styles and diamonds. More than 3 and I think you might suffer from diamond shopping overload/fatigue. And as a New Yorker, I'm hoping you'll take advantage of being in the City by also doing something else while visiting us :))

Girl505

Rough_Rock
I am definitely planning to explore NYC and have a number of things on my list which is now starting to make me second-guess a visit to GOG given that it would take a total of 3 hours and I have a very limited amount of time in NYC. I’m wondering if there would be any way to work with GOG from out of state for an initial consultation. Do you know if that is possible? I will lurk around here to see the experience other people have had working with GOG from out of state.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely planning to explore NYC and have a number of things on my list which is now starting to make me second-guess a visit to GOG given that it would take a total of 3 hours and I have a very limited amount of time in NYC. I’m wondering if there would be any way to work with GOG from out of state for an initial consultation. Do you know if that is possible? I will lurk around here to see the experience other people have had working with GOG from out of state.
Definitely possible! Here's the link to a thread earlier this year where the OP -- who I am guessing, based on her avatar, lives in Texas -- describes her long-distance shopping experience with David at GOG:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-good-old-gold.237939/

P.S. In many prior GOG threads, you're likely to see references to Jon/Jonathan (Weingarten) -- a/k/a PS Trade member Rhino -- who was the "face" of GOG here on PS because of his frequent and informative contributions on this board. But he left the family business about a year ago to devote himself to developing & marketing his brand of August Vintage diamonds.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Definitely possible! Here's the link to a thread earlier this year where the OP -- who I am guessing, based on her avatar, lives in Texas -- describes her long-distance shopping experience with David at GOG:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-good-old-gold.237939/

P.S. In many prior GOG threads, you're likely to see references to Jon/Jonathan (Weingarten) -- a/k/a PS Trade member Rhino -- who was the "face" of GOG here on PS because of his frequent and informative contributions on this board. But he left the family business about a year ago to devote himself to developing & marketing his brand of August Vintage diamonds.

I’m glad you mentioned this! I was familiar with Rhino as well as I used to watch his YouTube videos. That was what convinced me that my boyfriend and I needed to make the trip to NY to visit GOG.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I visited GOG about one year ago (just after "Rhino" had left, I believe), where we were served by Charles. He was extremely helpful, patient and knowledgeable.
In spite of the the fact that our appointment was made on very short notice, Charles showed us a range of diamonds in which we were interested.
We made our decision much later, and everything was done by email, as we are not in the US. Charles always answered promptly, usually within a couple of hours at most.
I picked the setting, discussed some changes that I wanted, again, all by email with Charles. Everything worked out smoothly - no fuss, no muss, no bother. I am completely pleased with the result.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results