shape
carat
color
clarity

Best custom ring designer?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Doesn't look too big at all. Just right as a matter of fact.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394753268|3633553 said:
So I found this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-now-a-member-of-the-victor-canera-club.176673/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-now-a-member-of-the-victor-canera-club.176673/[/URL]

That's a 2.36, this will be a 2.5 - Does that look too big? My instinct is yes, but then i'm a guy, and I have no clue about what women want in rings :/

I think the Emilya is perhaps the best round halo setting out there. I personally prefer the regular Emilya, but with no pave on the little doughnut under the stone. Victor does really beautiful work!

It is hard to say whether it would be too big for her. Do you have any idea what size diamonds her close friends or sisters have? Sometimes that helps gauge size, because I honestly would not be able to wear a 2.5 with a halo comfortably in my real life circle of people. But there are people on the forum with 4-6 ct diamonds that they wear comfortably. So it all depends on what she likes and would feel comfortable wearing.

In reference to one of your previous posts, I personally would go up to I color and down a little bit in size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394754333|3633570 said:
In reference to one of your previous posts, I personally would go up to I color and down a little bit in size.
Agree 2.1 carat I color would be better. SI1 or VS2 clarity.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1394754465|3633573 said:
diamondseeker2006|1394754333|3633570 said:
Agree 2.1 carat I color would be better. SI1 or VS2 clarity.

Yes, and then the Emilya would be perfect!

I also absolutely LOVE the Trueste with pave, if you decide to forgo the halo!

Oh, and if you only want to buy from Blue Nile, I'd stick with their signature stones as those are the only ones with any info beyond the grading report. There's no way I'd buy a $21k diamond blind.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1394754079|3633567 said:
Nope. Doesn't look too big at all. Just right as a matter of fact.

VC are saying they recommend a minimum of an I colour in that halo, so now i'm trying to source a eye clean H or I, minimum 2ct. It's a shame because the 2.5 / J was nice :/ (GIA 6157942152)

EDIT: I was on page 1 of the thread and only just read all your other replies!

The 2.5 / J / VVS2 was just what I found. Dropping to VS1/2 doesn't yield a bigger diamond from my searches.

She's a ring size 6.5, and we went to debeers and tried their double aura halo:

http://www.debeers.co.uk/bridal/de-beers-bridal-designs/de-beers-aura/j1dd17b10p/de-beers-aura-double-halo-solitaire-ring

She likes the 0.7 ct and thought the 1ct was about the biggest she would go. Of course drop that to a single halo and we're probably talking 1.5 to 2 ct. If i could find a decent 2ct / H i think i'd be happy and never have to worry about colour.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't know if that J was nice or not because you simply cannot buy a diamond blind. I had just edited my post to say to stick to BN Signature stones only if you want to buy from BN. Go to I color. H color will cause you to go a lot smaller.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394755009|3633585 said:
You don't know if that J was nice or not because you simply cannot buy a diamond blind. I had just edited my post to say to stick to BN Signature stones only if you want to buy from BN. Go to I color. H color will cause you to go a lot smaller.

It's held with BN, but once i release it VC can grab it. I can trust them to give me their opinion before they set it. So i'm not _that_ worried about it right now.

Victor is looking for a nice stone for me now too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say, a 2 ct diamond with a VC single halo is far more classy and timeless to me than a double halo for an engagement ring. You are definitely on the right track now!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I found this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-now-a-member-of-the-victor-canera-club.176673/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-now-a-member-of-the-victor-canera-club.176673/[/URL]

That's a 2.36, this will be a 2.5 - Does that look too big? My instinct is yes, but then i'm a guy, and I have no clue about what women want in rings :/

It will look amazing! Frankie has a 3+ct in the Emilya and it's divine! That setting is absolutely perfect for a J too... :bigsmile:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1394755628|3633595 said:
So I found this thread:

It will look amazing! Frankie has a 3+ct in the Emilya and it's divine! That setting is absolutely perfect for a J too... :bigsmile:

Do you really think so? It's tempting to put the J in it - it'll be HUGE :razz: I guess it depends on what tint it ends up being, if it's brown it may look terrible.

BTW i don't _have_ to buy from blue nile. My original ring has been returned and I have an open order with Blue Nile which includes this 2.5 / J / VVS2 - so effectively I'm just using that to hold the stone. I've not paid them the difference, so I can cancel that order, get a refund for my old ring and go with anyone. VC can source pretty much any stone that's in the international database (which is all the BN stuff except their signature anyway). So once i cancel the order, if VC are quick they can grab that same 2.5 / J - it's an option anyway.

As for the double halo, i'm only referencing it because it's something she actually saw and liked :) I know a single halo and bigger stone is the way to go for sure. I just mentioned it because it gives you a reference on what total ring size she was comfortable with - double halo in 1 ct, which i think safely equates to a 2 to 2.5 in a single halo right?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait.. Am I reading this right? Victor said to go with a minimum of an I color in an Emilya halo?

kay1

Shiny_Rock
soxfan|1394759203|3633638 said:
Wait.. Am I reading this right? Victor said to go with a minimum of an I color in an Emilya halo?

Well Victor didn't say it, their 'sales manager' chelsea emailed me "For a halo we recommend I color and up as it will look to yellow next to the halo". Remember that's a quote out of context so I don't want to upset anyone!

Anyway more to the point I see you have a 2.04 ct Emilya halo in a K right?? Perfect person to ask for advice :)

Honestly, do you notice the stone being yellow against the halo - and by how much, what light conditions etc. Anything you can tell me about it would be great :)

As for the size, having had it for a few months how do you find it? Do you wear it every day? Do you wear a band with it? Is it too big to wear every day?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a 2.0-2.5 in a halo is a very nice size ring, as in large! A 2.5 in a halo is probably over my personal comfort range, so I really recommend I color between 2.0-2.25 or so. Victor is telling you to stick with I color or higher because he knows you will see some tint in a J when it is in the halo. Some people here like the color contrast and lower color stones. But I think it is safer to stick with I color for a surprise engagement ring.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394759811|3633650 said:
Yes, a 2.0-2.5 in a halo is a very nice size ring, as in large! A 2.5 in a halo is probably over my personal comfort range, so I really recommend I color between 2.0-2.25 or so. Victor is telling you to stick with I color or higher because he knows you will see some tint in a J when it is in the halo. Some people here like the color contrast and lower color stones. But I think it is safer to stick with I color for a surprise engagement ring.

The thing is we went to some fancy jewelers and she saw some earrings in the window which were L colour. 2ct / L / SI2 (and they wanted about $70,000 for them :/ I laughed and left!). She couldn't tell they had a tint to them, but I could. So i'm not overly worried she'll notice the tint in the stone itself. I'm more worried about the contrast from G/H (halo) to J. Msop04 has a halo (non VC) in J and G/H stones and said the smaller stones always look whiter because of more facets, so i'm wondering if i'm worrying too much.

I've asked VC to expand on their opinion so I can evaluate what they think it will actually end up like. I think the tint of the colour will probably be the deciding factor in the end, so it's a risk.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394759655|3633647 said:
soxfan|1394759203|3633638 said:

Well Victor didn't say it, their 'sales manager' chelsea emailed me "For a halo we recommend I color and up as it will look to yellow next to the halo". Remember that's a quote out of context so I don't want to upset anyone!

Anyway more to the point I see you have a 2.04 ct Emilya halo in a K right?? Perfect person to ask for advice :)

Honestly, do you notice the stone being yellow against the halo - and by how much, what light conditions etc. Anything you can tell me about it would be great :)

As for the size, having had it for a few months how do you find it? Do you wear it every day? Do you wear a band with it? Is it too big to wear every day?

iPad ate my lengthy reply. Cliff notes:

1. I have no idea why "Chelsea" would say they recommend a minimum of an I color unless it was to move a diamond. That sucks. I was ASSURED my K would look fine in an Emilya and It does.

2. No, I don't notice the K looking yellow. Neither do all the people who stop me in my tracks to grab my hand. Victors craftsmanship is uncommon to most social circles. It's exquisite.

3. I have ordered a round and baguette band from Id Jewelry and a matching wedding band. The turn around time is 4 weeks. I will post when they get here, this ring lends itself to MANY stacking and wedding band options.

I love my ring. I was glad that ArkieB and others gave me sound advice here. Victor, Steven, and even Leon (some bad reviews) are your front runners, without a doubt. But I do NOT like vendors poo-pooing a J or K color. I have 2 kids to put through college, I'm not independantly wealthy. I want the biggest diamond I can afford WITH the setting. I did a K with a VC.

I wouldn't change a thing. If you think that J is what she'd like, get it. And if someone says it's not High enough of a color to put in their setting, walk away. Because that's just bad business.

Off my soapbox....

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, that's really put my mind at ease :) Last question - which Emiliya did you get, the flush stems or the normal one? I was looking at flush because of the band, but I see there are curved bands you can use (if i got that right).

Ok definitely last question - do you know the colour of the halo diamonds on your ring?

To be fair the context of the emails were me deciding weather to go with the 2.5 / J, or to drop ct weight and get a I or H. She then made that comment, which is probably a standard for people who are openly worrying about the colour. I take it more as a "if you're worried, we recommend a I and up".

Either way the diamond will come from them, as I'll drop the hold on BN and have them source it, so i genuinely don't believe it was to sell a diamond to me :)

After seeing your pictures etc i finally feel excited about the final product, unlike the previous attempt I made with BN, where i second guessed it from the moment i pressed 'buy'!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394762123|3633686 said:
Thanks, that's really put my mind at ease :) Last question - which Emiliya did you get, the flush stems or the normal one? I was looking at flush because of the band, but I see there are curved bands you can use (if i got that right).

Ok definitely last question - do you know the colour of the halo diamonds on your ring?

To be fair the context of the emails were me deciding weather to go with the 2.5 / J, or to drop ct weight and get a I or H. She then made that comment, which is probably a standard for people who are openly worrying about the colour. I take it more as a "if you're worried, we recommend a I and up".

Either way the diamond will come from them, as I'll drop the hold on BN and have them source it, so i genuinely don't believe it was to sell a diamond to me :)

After seeing your pictures etc i finally feel excited about the final product, unlike the previous attempt I made with BN, where i second guessed it from the moment i pressed 'buy'!

Normal one. I plan on wearing the bands kind of separated between the ring so it could be worn alone or with bands. It could someday be passed to my daughter.

I had hoped I misunderstood the tone of the "I recommendation" email, because I was never made to feel that my diamond was unworthy of an Emilya. Lol! Appraisal states F-G melee.

You can search all my pics. I took a ton.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1394761514|3633675 said:
1. I have no idea why "Chelsea" would say they recommend a minimum of an I color unless it was to move a diamond. That sucks. I was ASSURED my K would look fine in an Emilya and It does.

2. No, I don't notice the K looking yellow. Neither do all the people who stop me in my tracks to grab my hand. Victors craftsmanship is uncommon to most social circles. It's exquisite.

3. I have ordered a round and baguette band from Id Jewelry and a matching wedding band. The turn around time is 4 weeks. I will post when they get here, this ring lends itself to MANY stacking and wedding band options.

I love my ring. I was glad that ArkieB and others gave me sound advice here. Victor, Steven, and even Leon (some bad reviews) are your front runners, without a doubt. But I do NOT like vendors poo-pooing a J or K color. I have 2 kids to put through college, I'm not independantly wealthy. I want the biggest diamond I can afford WITH the setting. I did a K with a VC.

I wouldn't change a thing. If you think that J is what she'd like, get it. And if someone says it's not High enough of a color to put in their setting, walk away. Because that's just bad business.

Off my soapbox....

I'm a little biased since I, too, have a lower colored stone, but... I have never once had anyone (not even close family or friends who wouldn't hesitate to be brutally honest) mention one thing about the color of my stone. FWIW, my family flipped when I told them it was a J!! One of my sisters actually "upgraded" her stone to a larger diamond in lower color because she loved it so much and couldn't tell any difference (she went from a .75 ct G to a 1.1 ct I MRB).

When anyone sees my ring, all they ever say is how beautiful and large it is... one friend even describes it as "always so sparkly and icy white" :lol: :praise: -- of course I know better, but hey... I take the compliment and say thanks! :D There is a big difference in the visual size of a 2 vs 2.5 -- if you decide you don't like the J, go down to a 2 in a higher color... However, if she liked L colored stones, I truly don't think she'll see any tint in the J (especially in that setting). All she'll see is one BADA$$ huge disco ball of a stone in an exquisite designer setting no one in her circle will have.

Now I know that people have varying degrees of color sensitivity -- that's a fact. However, most people are not on PS and have never seen a very well cut diamond. What I mean is that most of my friends/people in my circle that say they could "never go below an H" because that's what's been put into their minds... Needless to say, most are wearing stones that are easily J/K because they're either EGL/some other crap lab/not certified at all. They all think my stone is whiter than their "G/H" diamonds, and refuse to believe it's a J if I tell them. Part of me thinks they don't want to believe they have a lower color than what they thought (and they actually do like lower colors, since they've seen one) and another part of me thinks that they are suspicious that they were scammed or something. Most likely, it's mixture of those thoughts...

It's not their fault, it's what they were told/what their cert says -- but they're not comparing apples to apples when they compare their diamonds to well cut, properly graded diamonds (GIA/AGS).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394754881|3633580 said:
Gypsy|1394754079|3633567 said:
She's a ring size 6.5, and we went to debeers and tried their double aura halo:

kay1, a size 6.5 isn't a dainty finger but more of an average size. I think a 2.5 ct in the Emilya would look very good on that size finger! :naughty: :naughty: :bigsmile: I mean, my fingers are smaller than average (though not long and graceful!! :oops: ), and a 2.43 ct (8.7mm) with a halo isn't too large for my size 5 finger at all! FWIW, if the hubs will let me upgrade to a 3+ carat stunner, I'd halo it all over again! ...and then still get DSS!!! :lol: :lol: ;)) :halo:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your lady picked, if you don't mind my saying so, a very showy ring designed to impress or attract notice and stand out.

That double halo isn't the ring/setting choice of someone trying to hide their light under a bushel, so to speak.

I feel safe saying that the only reason she said that she'd limit that setting to a full carat is because frankly that setting would get unwieldy and completely impractical (banging and bumping around and catching on things) with a center stone any bigger than that.

So I think your lady would probably LOVE a 2+ carat stone for the single halo setting you've chosen. And frankly it's a much more elegant AND practical ring choice (and you don't hear me say that often with halo settings) than the double halo.

That SAID I myself would probably go for an I colored stone at around 2.2 or so carats. Because the halo will 'hide' some of the spread differences, once you stick a halo on it the difference between a 2.3 and a 2.6 blurs, but the color difference, I feel, will be noticeable.

thadanim

Rough_Rock
Go pick up your ring and save yourself the 22.5% which then helps you up the budget for the ring. :wink2:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Plus 1 to everything Yssie said. No offense but almost every single person on this thread has only worked with VC so they are pushing their favorite vendor. Not meant to start an arguement but this is FAR from subjective.

If you want me two cents I would actually go with Singlestone if you have budget. I own an Emilya (actaully i have owned 2) and I wish I had stuck to my guns and gone with SS for the 2nd one. They can create a halo similar to the HW inspired halo but add a little something to it is more unique. I really hate that I see the HW/ Emilya/ Adrienna halo all over the place. I have friends that have it, I see it all the time on PS. It has really tainted the love for my ring when you see it all the time on everyone else. If you want something unique I would definitely look at Single stone. Just my .02cents.

And for what it's worth I have rings by VC, SK and LM. All our very nice but I do think SK and VC are better as far as quality. My LM ring though is preloved and probably a few years older. I think VC is better with customer service and communication- that man is a doll to work with. But for proportions and design I prefer SK and LM.

EDIT: And for reference here are my Emilyas. Both are size 6.

2.04ct MRB F, I1 by GIA (when we bought it way back when it came with a EGL cert that said D, SI2). Diamond is eye clean so the I1 was quite a shock! Halo was with full cut forget color of melee.

5.06ct N/O antique cushion with single cut melee G/H in color

_15810.jpg

Attachments

• _81.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 936

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1394782199|3633848 said:
I don't even know if these have been mentioned in any of your threads... all are AGS 0, I, SI1 stones:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11316/ $19,116

Yum.

And I agree that Victor is more warm and cuddly than Steven, but Steven's customer service where is counts is golden, and his work is fantastic.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Soxfan, i got a reply from the man himself and I did read the context right :)

I'm trying to find out the hue of the J diamond now, so I can make a final decision about this and start getting it made! I'm 100% on the Emiliya now :)

"Regarding the color of the center stone. This is kind of a complicated question. I've done J and K colored (and even lower colored) center stones that look wonderful in a halo. Part of the reason is the color undertone. What is causing the J or K color in a diamond, is it a brownish undertone or a yellowish one? There is also such a thing as a high J color bordering on I color. Another factor is whether the diamond has fluorescence. Adding blue fluorescence makes a lower colored diamond appear whiter. Also, how color sensitive are you? Can you pick up on any color difference in diamonds? This can contribute a lot towards any perceived color difference. So, a J or K colored center stone can look good, it just depends. If you're worried about the color difference than I would recommend a higher colored center stone. If you're not, you can get a larger center stone for the same amount of money by going lower in color. It's totally up to you. For me, it makes no difference to make a ring for a D colored or Z colored diamond."

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1394785829|3633857 said:
If you want me two cents I would actually go with Singlestone if you have budget.

OMG, I always forget SS!! They have some of the most beautiful and different settings I've seen. Here are a few of my faves:

This is a 2.4 ct stone
http://diamondbistro.com/image/33933/item.html
ss_twosanguinehearts1.jpg ss_twosanguinehearts3.jpg ss_twosanguinehearts2.jpg

And for a little bolder look, my current SS fave. It could be done with a round a la Nicole Richie's ring (this is a 4 ct stone, so a 2-2.5 ct would be smaller and made to scale)
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/i-have-a-confession-to-make-t193231-60.html
resonance.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results