shape
carat
color
clarity

Banana bread issues

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
We do have self rising flour here in the US. It might be the kind of thing you wouldn't notice if you never specifically looked for it, though. Or maybe not available in all locales, idk.

I use overripe bananas in banana bread because when I've used bananas that weren't overripe, the resulting banana bread just didn't have much flavor.

If your banana bread is too done on the outside and not done enough on the inside, I'd try turning the oven down about 25 degrees F. Or make banana bread muffins instead, since there's less space between the interior and exterior that way.

I rarely use a recipe that I'm happy with the first time. It seems there's always a tweak or two it could use imo.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I make my grandmother's recipe pound cake every year for Christmas. This is a very expensive cake to make given the amount of butter, eggs, sugar, cream cheese, etc. I made it one year and it looked great in the oven but collapsed after I took it out. So, I made it again and the same thing happened. Some might have given up at this point but I was just so angry at myself that I had to get it right.

I read the recipe closely and assembled all the ingredients for the third try and realized I had been using baking soda instead of the baking powder the recipe called for. That was a costly mistake that I haven't repeated since lol.

this sounds so good can you share the recipe?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
this sounds so good can you share the recipe?

Sure thing.

1 lb butter softened (I use salted)​
1/2 lb Philadelphia cream cheese softened​
3 cups sugar​
1 tsp vanilla extract​
1 tsp lemon extract (can swap for almond or another flavor)​
8 x-large eggs​
3 cups flour​
2 tsp baking powder​
1 tsp cream of tartar​

Beat butter
Add cream cheese and beat until well combined.
Add sugar and beat until well blended.
Add vanilla and lemon extract.
Add eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
Slowly add in flour mixture and beat until well blended.

Bake in a greased, floured pan (I use a standard tube pan) at 350 degrees for 1 hr 15 min to 1hr 30 min. Let cool in pan for 15 min. Run a knife around the outer edge and the inner tube edge before inverting onto a plate.

We enjoy ours frosted with chocolate frosting. Since it's pound cake, it's nice and dense and you don't need to cut in large slices which means this cake serves A LOT of people. It also freezes well.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Sure thing.

1 lb butter softened (I use salted)​
1/2 lb Philadelphia cream cheese softened​
3 cups sugar​
1 tsp vanilla extract​
1 tsp lemon extract (can swap for almond or another flavor)​
8 x-large eggs​
3 cups flour​
2 tsp baking powder​
1 tsp cream of tartar​

Beat butter
Add cream cheese and beat until well combined.
Add sugar and beat until well blended.
Add vanilla and lemon extract.
Add eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
Slowly add in flour mixture and beat until well blended.

Bake in a greased, floured pan (I use a standard tube pan) at 350 degrees for 1 hr 15 min to 1hr 30 min. Let cool in pan for 15 min. Run a knife around the outer edge and the inner tube edge before inverting onto a plate.

We enjoy ours frosted with chocolate frosting. Since it's pound cake, it's nice and dense and you don't need to cut in large slices which means this cake serves A LOT of people. It also freezes well.

thank you this sounds so good, do you typically use a stand mixer to mix?

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @Daisys and Diamonds! The bb situation is going o k a y, not amazing though. I follow the recipes carefully and they need a much longer cook time than what the recipe says (oven issue?). Then the outside crust gets a bit dry. I might try lowering the temperature further, baking even longer and tinfoiling the ends? Or...try this banana cake in a tin suggesting by CMN? Worth a shot.

Yes! No SRF here, but the recipe is much appreciated! We're odd that way, also take measurements and not weights. It's a wonder anything turns out, but baking has always been forgiving for me...until this blasted banana bread LOL!!
I too have found that banana bread typically needs longer to cook in the middle than the recipes state. This has ranged from anything between 5-20 mins depending on the recipe. Put alfoil over the tin to stop the exterior from over cooking and then take it off for about the last 10-15 mins.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I too have found that banana bread typically needs longer to cook in the middle than the recipes state. This has ranged from anything between 5-20 mins depending on the recipe. Put alfoil over the tin to stop the exterior from over cooking and then take it off for about the last 10-15 mins.

What I've been doing (and it seems to be working on my crap oven) is decreasing the temp to 325 from 350 and using the convect. Cooking 30 mins longer cooked it thru the centre and no need for the foil so far.

Good gawd. My old Maytag oven never had these issues!! What the heck?

Reactions: CMN
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results