shape
carat
color
clarity

Banana bread issues

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone share a really nice banana bread recipe with me? Something tried and true thru the ages?

Bit of background...I used to make banana bread all the time. Not sure what recipe I used, but it wasn't rocket science ya know? Then I started using internet recipes and Every. Dang. Time, there's problems with da bread. Wet in the middle is usually the problem, but there have been other structural issues as well. I do toothpick and everything is seemingly fine. I thought it was my oven, then we got a new stove. Granted, it's a piece of crap for quality (altho it wasn't cheap). I've used internal thermometers to ensure cook temp, replaced my baking soda and powder, fresh flour, stick to the ingredients, room temp ingredients etc etc etc.

I need a banana bread expert to bring me back on the straight and narrow here. It would sure be appreciated, I'm going bananas over here!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i made one regulary durring lockdown after never being a banana bread baker or eatter
it was fail safe
i dont beleave how hard it is to now find the recepie :(2
at the time it was like the entire nation was making it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not sure which one it was
it only had two bananas and two eggs and then we had the baking powder shortage and i never have caster sugar

:lol-2:

but the Edmonds cook book is a national institution (our number one selling book of all time) and usually everything works

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
don’t know if this will help you on what’s changed for you on a recipe that used to work for you and now it doesn’t -
With banana bread ive found that using way too overripe, or previously frozen bananas doesnt work very well especially in a oil instead of butter and sugar heavy recipe.
use firmer banana and only
fork them in small pieces - don’t liquefy them.
and bananas come in so many different sizes- it’s yet another reason for me to only pick recipes that go by weight.

cooks illustrated banana bread recipe would be my choice over a higher sugar/oil one.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
i am not sure which one it was
it only had two bananas and two eggs and then we had the baking powder shortage and i never have caster sugar

:lol-2:

but the Edmonds cook book is a national institution (our number one selling book of all time) and usually everything works

Giving it a go @Daisys and Diamonds. Thank you!! Once I figure out what self rising flour is. We don't have that here...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
don’t know if this will help you on what’s changed for you on a recipe that used to work for you and now it doesn’t -
With banana bread ive found that using way too overripe, or previously frozen bananas doesnt work very well especially in a oil instead of butter and sugar heavy recipe.
use firmer banana and only
fork them in small pieces - don’t liquefy them.
and bananas come in so many different sizes- it’s yet another reason for me to only pick recipes that go by weight.

cooks illustrated banana bread recipe would be my choice over a higher sugar/oil one.

Ahhh, yes. They're all mushy.

Cooks Illustrated. I have a few of their cookbooks :) Checking it out @Rfisher!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
This one. My all time favorite.

I've made it as written, but also made it lower calorie, swapping half of the butter for unsweetened apple sauce, and half of the sugar for Splenda (in the loaf only, not the cinnamon/sugar mixture), and it is just always moist and delicious. I would say I make a loaf every other month, and never tire of it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I also feel like you can never go wrong with a King Arthur recipe:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, yes. They're all mushy.

Cooks Illustrated. I have a few of their cookbooks :) Checking it out @Rfisher!

Let us know what you choose to do and how it compares!
Here’s an online version of C.I’s

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

I've made it as written, but also made it lower calorie, swapping half of the butter for unsweetened apple sauce, and half of the sugar for Splenda (in the loaf only, not the cinnamon/sugar mixture), and it is just always moist and delicious. I would say I make a loaf every other month, and never tire of it.

Oooooo, thank you @lala646! I'm gonna try it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear by King Arthur Baking's Whole Grain Banana Bread recipe:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/whole-grain-banana-bread-recipe

The recipe calls for 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour (which I always have on hand) and 1 cup white whole wheat flour -- but I just use regular whole wheat flour.

I've tried this recipe with all whole wheat flour but it ends up with a denser flatter loaf which looked & tasted fine but just not as tasty to my palate preferences.

It's a versatile forgiving recipe for those times you are a bit short on bananas or only have one egg, and I've subbed in applesauce on occasion (though of course that changes the overall flavor).

I sprinkle crystalized sugar on top before baking.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So funny you should post this. I made a DOUBLE batch at the weekend as my girls and husband love it and… it was a disaster! I forgot to add the baking soda!! You can imagine it was solid and heavy as a lump of clay. Both tins. Such an idiot move. The kids still ate it as I put chocolate chips in but really it was disgusting.

So my advice whatever recipe you choose - do NOT forget the leavening agent!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I make my grandmother's recipe pound cake every year for Christmas. This is a very expensive cake to make given the amount of butter, eggs, sugar, cream cheese, etc. I made it one year and it looked great in the oven but collapsed after I took it out. So, I made it again and the same thing happened. Some might have given up at this point but I was just so angry at myself that I had to get it right.

I read the recipe closely and assembled all the ingredients for the third try and realized I had been using baking soda instead of the baking powder the recipe called for. That was a costly mistake that I haven't repeated since lol.

MichelleSam

Rough_Rock

I've tried a few different recipes, but this one is just amazing. I've been baking banana bread each week for months, and it tastes like I'm trying it for the first time.
But I actually want to try a new recipe just as an experiment, but I've not chosen the one

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock

This recipe has been a hit with my family and friends for years. It's a cake and bakes up lighter than bread recipes do. I use lightly salted butter in place of the shortening and don't bother with frosting. It's rich enough as is, especially if you use good quality butter.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@Begonia i have also been trying to bake the perfect banana bread for the last few months and have gone through about 6 recipes so far. My conclusion - you should look for a banana cake recipe and bake it in a loaf tin, not a banana bread recipe.

The recipes that have tried include two banana bread recipes from America‘s Test Kitchen.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I made a great batch this week. Here is the recipe. I baked it in a loaf tin and for my kids I added chocolate chips and only half a cup of sugar not the entire one. For me and my husband I added dried fruit and nuts. It was awesome.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia i have also been trying to bake the perfect banana bread for the last few months and have gone through about 6 recipes so far. My conclusion - you should look for a banana cake recipe and bake it in a loaf tin, not a banana bread recipe.

The recipes that have tried include two banana bread recipes from America‘s Test Kitchen.

Roger that! I'm still struggling, but I also have a sh*t stove!
(And it's newish)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Giving it a go @Daisys and Diamonds. Thank you!! Once I figure out what self rising flour is. We don't have that here...

excuse me missing this dear Begonia
how is the banana bread going ?
i have three bananas in the pantry going speckled but ive been making smoothies over the summer from frozen bananas i would usually use for banana loaf

im always surprised you guys dont have SR flour
mum started buying it in the late 80s when muffins (the ones in muffin pans not the Uk ones that go in the toaster) became a thing here
its just regular flour with BP and salt = i googled for you
durring the covid lock down and flour shortages i had to use what ever i could get (including subing 1/3 wholemeal flour which i had never used before -but you must sift wholemeal flour three times )
anyway for self raising flour
For every 1 cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
excuse me missing this dear Begonia
how is the banana bread going ?
i have three bananas in the pantry going speckled but ive been making smoothies over the summer from frozen bananas i would usually use for banana loaf

im always surprised you guys dont have SR flour
mum started buying it in the late 80s when muffins (the ones in muffin pans not the Uk ones that go in the toaster) became a thing here
its just regular flour with BP and salt = i googled for you
durring the covid lock down and flour shortages i had to use what ever i could get (including subing 1/3 wholemeal flour which i had never used before -but you must sift wholemeal flour three times )
anyway for self raising flour
For every 1 cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.

Hey @Daisys and Diamonds! The bb situation is going o k a y, not amazing though. I follow the recipes carefully and they need a much longer cook time than what the recipe says (oven issue?). Then the outside crust gets a bit dry. I might try lowering the temperature further, baking even longer and tinfoiling the ends? Or...try this banana cake in a tin suggesting by CMN? Worth a shot.

Yes! No SRF here, but the recipe is much appreciated! We're odd that way, also take measurements and not weights. It's a wonder anything turns out, but baking has always been forgiving for me...until this blasted banana bread LOL!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey @Daisys and Diamonds! The bb situation is going o k a y, not amazing though. I follow the recipes carefully and they need a much longer cook time than what the recipe says (oven issue?). Then the outside crust gets a bit dry. I might try lowering the temperature further, baking even longer and tinfoiling the ends? Or...try this banana cake in a tin suggesting by CMN? Worth a shot.

Yes! No SRF here, but the recipe is much appreciated! We're odd that way, also take measurements and not weights. It's a wonder anything turns out, but baking has always been forgiving for me...until this blasted banana bread LOL!!

good luck in your perserverence
before i got an oven with descent seals i could not bake a cake
i knew i could bake, because i baked at home for mum and dad
but i never had the evidence to back me up

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
good luck in your perserverence
before i got an oven with descent seals i could not bake a cake
i knew i could bake, because i baked at home for mum and dad
but i never had the evidence to back me up

We had the oven looked at (under warranty) but those guys never want to admit that it's a piece of junk! So now I'm forced to cook with convection to get my baking to cook. I think that's why everything is overcooked on the
outside and slightly mushy in the middle.
Bloody hell but I get so angry at the way appliances give up after just a few years and now...aren't even rightly built from the factory.
Sigh. Rant over. Pour us a brew.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
We had the oven looked at (under warranty) but those guys never want to admit that it's a piece of junk! So now I'm forced to cook with convection to get my baking to cook. I think that's why everything is overcooked on the
outside and slightly mushy in the middle.
Bloody hell but I get so angry at the way appliances give up after just a few years and now...aren't even rightly built from the factory.
Sigh. Rant over. Pour us a brew.

When cooking on convection, are you lowering the temp 25 degrees? My user manual for my oven suggests this when using the convection feature. Maybe it will help?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
When cooking on convection, are you lowering the temp 25 degrees? My user manual for my oven suggests this when using the convection feature. Maybe it will help?

Good tip there! I'll try that. This junk bucket bakes lower than indicated but I'll give that a go!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Good tip there! I'll try that. This junk bucket bakes lower than indicated but I'll give that a go!

I do hope it works for you!!!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

Have you tried a thermometer in the oven so you can see the actual temp? I found having one to be quite useful back when I was in a rental with a dodgy old oven.

Also to add, I often have to add extra time on the BB. There's a lot of moisture going on, so just test for doneness every few minutes after the recipe says it should be finished. I have one pumpkin bread recipe which needs nearly 30 minutes longer than called for, but still turns out spectacular.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried a thermometer in the oven so you can see the actual temp? I found having one to be quite useful back when I was in a rental with a dodgy old oven.

Also to add, I often have to add extra time on the BB. There's a lot of moisture going on, so just test for doneness every few minutes after the recipe says it should be finished. I have one pumpkin bread recipe which needs nearly 30 minutes longer than called for, but still turns out spectacular.

I have been testing, but great advice! Same here! The cinnamon swirl recipe above took another 30 mins. Got a b i t dry on the edges, but pretty good compared to some other attempts. I have to use convect on this piece of...

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our newer oven is the opposite Begonia, the convection option is crap so we bake things all the time and I love to bake! I love the King Arthur banana bread recipe noted above for a traditional bb. Make sure your baking powder is not expired. It does have a shelf life and it does help it rise and be less gummy and more airy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results