shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW AVC + AVR Bezel Eternity Band by BGD!

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
ecf8503 said:
I think it is beautiful!

As for the extra metal in between, I think it is somewhat necessary to fill the gap. It looks like the stones are set into little cups, and as the bottoms are lined up at their bases to curve around the finger, the tops are naturally somewhat separated. I think the "extra" metal is for stability, and I'm not sure (ask BG) it is "fixable" if that makes sense. As for the millgraining, that's up to you as to whether it bothers you enough to have the issue addressed. I know the millgraining on one of my rings isn't perfect, but it's ok because I don't notice it from normal viewing distances.

Thanks for the response, ecf8503! I bet you are right and that the metal is necessary. I just didn't notice the same metal (or rather, the same separation between bezels) in the CADs or the wax molds, or when I compared my ring to a few other large bezel band pictures. If the ring could be made lighter (or lower? can't really close my fingers without the ring twisting on the diagonal--if that makes any sense?), I might want to get it "fixed". But the milgraining is definitely something I can live with. I actually don't mind a slight imperfection b/c I think it gives the ring a little character. But I was wondering if I was seeing something that was really there or imagining it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! I have been trying to figure out how to make a ring with milgrain with those gorgeous AV stones and I think I now have the answer! BG's milgrain is so tiny and well done in person. I really can't wait to see hand shots! :love:

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Oh, wow! I have been trying to figure out how to make a ring with milgrain with those gorgeous AV stones and I think I now have the answer! BG's milgrain is so tiny and well done in person. I really can't wait to see hand shots! :love:

I think the AVRs are just begging for delicate milgrain. It really brings out the vintage look, IMO. I put up a few hand shots but will probably come back with more...Gotta take my fill of pictures before this guy is locked away for a few months.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Your rings are KILLER! I actually love them together but obviously each stands on its own as well.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing piece of jewelry!! This is going straight to my inspiration folder.

Just WOW!

Wear it in good health!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I think the extra metal is necessary for the integrity of the ring, but like you, I think I would prefer it without.

But never mind: it's absoutely fabulous.

I love both your rings, and I like them on differnt hands: they can both shine on their own! :love:

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
LittleRiver--thank you! I do think they look decent together (can't have too many vintage cushions on one finger, eh?? :naughty: ) but it does feel like a lot of weight to wear at once.

Viola-thank you! I am so excited to be in your inspiration folder :appl:

rosetta--thank you for the lovely comment. Ideally, I would like less metal on the ring, but it is probably necessary. A bezel setting just requires a lot more metal than a prong setting. Not much to be done about that, unfortunately. But I do think the ring is so lovely and a little extra metal isn't something I'll fret over. I am definitely less nervous about whacking this ring around than I am with my LM delicate prongs.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LittleSparkle|1317389625|3029626 said:
rosetta--thank you for the lovely comment. Ideally, I would like less metal on the ring, but it is probably necessary. A bezel setting just requires a lot more metal than a prong setting. Not much to be done about that, unfortunately. But I do think the ring is so lovely and a little extra metal isn't something I'll fret over. I am definitely less nervous about whacking this ring around than I am with my LM delicate prongs.

I think your ring is lovely as is! But I did want to chime in on the bezel issue: the funny thing is that, while you do need more metal, technically, you can make a bezel setting much more delicate than its prong-y counterpart without threatening the security of the stones at all.

I do see what you're talking about with the bases of the stones ... and I think it's something that could be rectified without having to remake the entire ring by just filing away at some of the excess metal and making it more of an angled "V" instead of what you called a slice of metal - good term for it, btw! But I also think it might be the sort of thing you'll notice more in photos that in person - does it bug you with the naked eye, or only through the magnifier?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1317401219|3029780 said:

I think your ring is lovely as is! But I did want to chime in on the bezel issue: the funny thing is that, while you do need more metal, technically, you can make a bezel setting much more delicate than its prong-y counterpart without threatening the security of the stones at all.

I do see what you're talking about with the bases of the stones ... and I think it's something that could be rectified without having to remake the entire ring by just filing away at some of the excess metal and making it more of an angled "V" instead of what you called a slice of metal - good term for it, btw! But I also think it might be the sort of thing you'll notice more in photos that in person - does it bug you with the naked eye, or only through the magnifier?

I see the extra metal and it would bother me too, honestly. I have a very tiny bezel band with no space in between each bezel, and it seems to me that having no metal in between larger stones would be even easier. Perhaps the bezels were made too thick in the CAD and that's why there's extra metal in between each bezeled stone? (No jewelry making experience here so take that with a grain of salt!) And I would absolutely have BGD fix the milgrain portion you're unhappy with.

That said, the ring is STUNNING and looks fantastic on you! And hey-if you have to send it back at least that'll prevent you from wearing it before your wedding! :cheeky:

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Circe said:

Hi Circe! It doesn't hugely bother me with the naked eye, though I can definitely see the "slice of metal" when I look at it. I almost hate to bother BGD by sending it back for something like this, but I will think about it over the weekend.

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2|1317404858|3029848 said:
I see the extra metal and it would bother me too, honestly. I have a very tiny bezel band with no space in between each bezel, and it seems to me that having no metal in between larger stones would be even easier. Perhaps the bezels were made too thick in the CAD and that's why there's extra metal in between each bezeled stone? (No jewelry making experience here so take that with a grain of salt!) And I would absolutely have BGD fix the milgrain portion you're unhappy with.

That said, the ring is STUNNING and looks fantastic on you! And hey-if you have to send it back at least that'll prevent you from wearing it before your wedding! :cheeky:

Hi thing2of2--thank you for this response. I actually noticed the metal more when I compared it to a smaller bezel band I have (total carat weight is around .44, so really small stones) and confirmed that the smaller bezels were almost entirely flush. I do love the ring though and am reluctant to send it back just yet. I hate to bother BGD with a small fix b/c it sounded like this project was rather complicated since all of the stones were various sizes and shapes. I think I have to sit on it for a while and think about whether the extra metal will bother me in the long run. Luckily, I do have pleeeenty of time to get it altered if necessary.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
LittleSparkle|1317305413|3028680 said:
Thanks for the response, ecf8503! I bet you are right and that the metal is necessary. I just didn't notice the same metal (or rather, the same separation between bezels) in the CADs or the wax molds, or when I compared my ring to a few other large bezel band pictures. If the ring could be made lighter (or lower? can't really close my fingers without the ring twisting on the diagonal--if that makes any sense?), I might want to get it "fixed".

It is GORGEOUS!! :love:

As for the ring twisting on the diagonal, I think that's because it's sized a bit too large. Sizing beads may help with that, but I think it's still going to happen to some extent. My rings are as small as I could fit over my knuckle (5.25) but they do go diagonal because my actual finger size is probably a 4.75.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I had done that with my shared prong eternity because this way, I could whack it around with no stress! This is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wear it in excellent health and congrats! :appl: :love: :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, that is perfection! What a stunner! Wear it in good health!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy blingtastic Batman! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE THIS! I too am not usually a fan of larger stone eternity bands, but good GOD woman, this is perfection!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have skipped the whole second page when I first posted! I LOVE your ring! :love: And your e-ring is spectacular, seriously!

I am thinking the metal between might be to help each bezel curve around. After all, they can't be straight against each other or they wouldn't form a circle. But your best bet is just to ask Lesley or someone at BGD.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your band is very unique and pretty on your hand! Congrats on the jewel of the week, also!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LittleSparkle|1317305413|3028680 said:
ecf8503 said:
I think it is beautiful!

As for the extra metal in between, I think it is somewhat necessary to fill the gap. It looks like the stones are set into little cups, and as the bottoms are lined up at their bases to curve around the finger, the tops are naturally somewhat separated. I think the "extra" metal is for stability, and I'm not sure (ask BG) it is "fixable" if that makes sense. As for the millgraining, that's up to you as to whether it bothers you enough to have the issue addressed. I know the millgraining on one of my rings isn't perfect, but it's ok because I don't notice it from normal viewing distances.

Thanks for the response, ecf8503! I bet you are right and that the metal is necessary. I just didn't notice the same metal (or rather, the same separation between bezels) in the CADs or the wax molds, or when I compared my ring to a few other large bezel band pictures. If the ring could be made lighter (or lower? can't really close my fingers without the ring twisting on the diagonal--if that makes any sense?), I might want to get it "fixed". But the milgraining is definitely something I can live with. I actually don't mind a slight imperfection b/c I think it gives the ring a little character. But I was wondering if I was seeing something that was really there or imagining it.

I see it. I noticed it as soon as I saw the pictures. I wonder if the metal holders of the stones should be made more like cones so the base is smaller in diameter than the face, allowing them to sit flush edge to edge despite the stones being too large to bend around your finger? How noticable is it in real life?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the bezels, but really it is so stunning, I don't think it would matter to me. But won't be wearing it every day, (although I wish I was!). It is so very beautiful and unique!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a rose cut bezel band by JBEG that has the little slices in between the bezels. It is only a five stone and it doesn't bother me. I think though that your setting does look sooooo heavy! I don't think I could handle 12 grams of platinum in addition to all the diamond weight!

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
LittleSparkle|1317410856|3029936 said:
thing2of2|1317404858|3029848 said:

Hi thing2of2--thank you for this response. I actually noticed the metal more when I compared it to a smaller bezel band I have (total carat weight is around .44, so really small stones) and confirmed that the smaller bezels were almost entirely flush. I do love the ring though and am reluctant to send it back just yet. I hate to bother BGD with a small fix b/c it sounded like this project was rather complicated since all of the stones were various sizes and shapes. I think I have to sit on it for a while and think about whether the extra metal will bother me in the long run. Luckily, I do have pleeeenty of time to get it altered if necessary.

It's not bothering them if it's not what you wanted-it's their mistake, not yours! Their own bezeled round band doesn't have the metal in between the bezels, so I don't see why you should have expected metal in between the bezels for your custom ring. I would ask them to remake it if I were you. If it's bothering you already when the newness hasn't even worn off, I doubt you'll like it in the future.

I'm not trying to tell you your business, so apologies if I sound bossy! I just think sometimes PSers like our vendors so much it gets a little uncomfortable when we're not happy with the product. Plus I'm sure BGD wants you to be totally happy with the finished product, too.

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth- thank you! I definitely think I will look into sizing beads when it is time to wear this beauty full time. I asked BGD to make it a bit bigger than it ought to be so that I wouldn't have to worry about outgrowing it in the future, but the size + the weight of the band = a lot of banging around on my finger.

Bliss-I love your whole collection!! thank you!

yennyfire-thank you! I also think it is pretty close to perfection. But you know what is total perfection?! Your new singlestone oval! I cannot believe how beautiful both the setting and stone are. But I think I'll comment separately in that thread.. :naughty:

athenaworth--holy blingtastic batman! Using that one! amazing! Thank you! (So many exclamation points...)

diamondseeker2006-thank you! your set is just beautiful also :)

mom2boys--thank you! so exciting!

Dreamer_D-I actually feel better knowing that others (albeit crazy Pricescopers like me :wink2: ) notice the extra metal also. I really thought I was being crazy. It isn't hugely noticeable in real life, but my fiance didn't give me the "Ok, Crazypants...extra metal...right" face when I pointed it out. So perhaps I will give BGD a call and see if anything can be done?

luv2sparkle- thank you! I do love the band so much. I keep going back and forth about whether the metal bothers me enough to do anything about it. I think the obvious answer is that if I'm still debating it, it is probably going to bother me down the road. But it in no way makes me feel less excited about how amazing the band is or how much I adore it. I feel so lucky to own something like this!

Asscherhalo_lover-thank you for the pictures! That is actually really helpful. I see the extra metal on your band but it looks more intentional? Like it was a part of the design. Your ring is spectacular! I lovvvee those rose cuts! I must have missed the thread on your band. So pretty!

thing2of2-do not apologize! I think you are totally right. If this thing, however little, is bothering me when it is bright and shiny and new, it'll probably bother me in four years. And I think you make a great point about developing this relationship with vendors where you truly like them, trust them, and love their work. It then becomes difficult to express anything less than total satisfaction with a finished product.

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
As an aside, I didn't know about the Jewel of the Week post until mom2boys mentioned it and I just opened it, squealed, and spent four minutes smacking Fiance's arm while exclaiming "I am Jewel of the Week! Oh my goodness! This is such an honor! I feel like I just won an award! Did you hear me?! JEWEL OF THE WEEK!"

LittleSparkle= slightly pathetic but very happy :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BGD want you to be happy. They cannot always predict what design elements will bother one person or another. As AsscherhaloLover's picture shows, it is a common design element in large bezel rings... but I do think it can be refined without remaking the ring if you wanted, perhaps doing what Circe suggested. But it is not uncommon to tweek a ring. I might also ask about the depth of the bezel compartments while they have it, not sure if there is room to make them shallower with the depth of the stones, but it would add to comfort! You want to be able to wear that puppy all the time and be comfortable doing so!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto to what Dreamer said about BGD wanting you to be happy. It never hurts to ask and see what they say. I think it looks amazing, but if it's not 100% comfortable or what you had envisioned, I'd see what they suggest. Thank you too for the lovely comments on my ring!

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006- thanks! I am all :appl: :appl: :appl: too ! :love:
Dreamer_D & yennyfire- thank you for the thoughtful responses! Dreamer, that is a great idea about the bezel cups and inquiring whether the ring could be made shallower. And Yenny, I also think the ring looks amazing, but is maybe only 95% comfortable. I don't know why I am so hesitant to contact BGD about any little tweaks. I have always been so happy with their work (and I am, for the record, quite happy with this project aside from the little metal issue) and very pleased with their customer service and would hate to become that difficult customer over an issue that might be only a "mind-clean" crazy Pricescoper one, if that makes any sense.

I will definitely post an update if I talk to BGD and, if tweaking is possible, tweak the band.

Took a few more shots before the ring went into the safe deposit box...

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
stunning :love: :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is stunning, and they did such a good job on the bezels themselves, keeping them thin and delicate as they should be!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, stunning! Gorgeous workmanship, it seems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results