shape
carat
color
clarity

August vintage inc.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
That's what I'm trying to figure out. That, and how it compares with the new MoCo AGS 000
I was comparing the AV and MoCo AGS 000, but there is something about the MoCo that I didn’t like and couldn’t put my finger on. Every time someone posted a pic I did not like how it looked for whatever reason. I’m sure it’s beautiful IRL.

However, every time I saw an AV, whether it was a OEC, cushion, or step cut, I was always amazed. Not to mention AV cuts Amora stones, so that did me in!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was comparing the AV and MoCo AGS 000, but there is something about the MoCo that I didn’t like and couldn’t put my finger on. Every time someone posted a pic I did not like how it looked for whatever reason. I’m sure it’s beautiful IRL.

However, every time I saw an AV, whether it was a OEC, cushion, or step cut, I was always amazed. Not to mention AV cuts Amora stones, so that did me in!
Yeah, I just am trying to decide if the AV H&A is worth the premium over the 000 option. Looks like 7mm in the 000 is around 415, and the AV H&A is 650! That's a pretty big difference. They are doing a 20% off sale right now, but it's still 500+. Obviously if it's noticeably better then I'm fine paying extra.

But just worried that I might not notice the difference IRL between the two, or even between either of them and one of the chinese H&A, which is multiple times cheaper. Why can't someone buy ALL of the options and then let all of us compare??? haha I wish I had infinite funds so I could do that!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I just am trying to decide if the AV H&A is worth the premium over the 000 option. Looks like 7mm in the 000 is around 415, and the AV H&A is 650! That's a pretty big difference. They are doing a 20% off sale right now, but it's still 500+. Obviously if it's noticeably better then I'm fine paying extra.

But just worried that I might not notice the difference IRL between the two, or even between either of them and one of the chinese H&A, which is multiple times cheaper. Why can't someone buy ALL of the options and then let all of us compare??? haha I wish I had infinite funds so I could do that!

I’d love to order a Tianyu, SG, Provence, Amora, AV and MoCo AGS 000 to compare! Stupid money gets in the way of everything. Lol!

Just a heads up...I was told by Chris that the new AGS 000 is priced the same as their *CERTIFIED* F1 H&As. So add an extra $100 onto the $415 if you go the Moissanite Co route.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I did want to make this update before I went to bed. I compared both the Tianyu and AV Ideal Round in my bathroom and the AV Round’s arrows are much better than Tianyu’s. Not only are AV’s thicker, they’re just more defined. I don’t think my Tianyu H&A has super thin arrows, but they’re not as distinctive. I want to say the Tianyu has a “snowflake” look to it???

I took a photo so you could see a direct comparison between the two. The photo quality isn’t very good for the AV because it’s under yellow fluorescent lighting, but hopefully this helps!

07179D8D-567D-4F7F-962D-203F75440C79.jpeg

Tianyu is on the top (pre mount), AV is on the bottom.

I’ll try to take better photos tomorrow morning and give a proper assessment. :) I will say that when I was trying to go for a more expensive moissy, I felt more comfortable with AV than going with the others, ie, amora, MoCo, C&C. Amora didn’t have the size moissy I wanted, MoCo gave me a weird vibe, and C&C I didn’t want to end up with a bad H&A (which seems prevalent). Aside from the PSer who bought the AGS 000 (I read her thread and saw her nice pictures), all the AGS 000 photos I’ve seen didn’t impress me. For some reason the moissys looked flat to me. Maybe it’s a lot prettier IRL, but I didn’t want to chance it, especially when I’ve read MoCo isn’t that great customer service wise...

I think Tianyu is really good for what you pay for. When I took it to my jeweler, he was floored I only paid $92 for it. I’ve read people specifically asking to make thicker arrows when ordering from Tianyu and Starsgem, so maybe that would lessen the “snowflake” appearance I am talking about. I’m not sure. I’m still waiting on my other colorless H&A from Mona who used to work at Starsgem and I’ll probide feedback on that one when I get it.

As for Provence, I think they’re still relatively new and not enough people have bought their H&As. I tried asking for real time photos of their moissys but for some reason the salesperson I was working with kept sending me the official vendor video showing all their moissys. I just didn’t want to bother with them after that.

Okay, will update later. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! The cut is divine, isn’t it? As far as what I’ll do with it, I’m honestly not sure! I wanted to replace the stone in my pendant, but I don’t think I can...I’m debating on making it into a simple solitaire ring. I’ll use it as a right hand ring for now but after I’m married I might switch it over to my left hand as a travel ring, hehe. ;)2

Thank you so much! And yes, both are colorless! As for costs, to be honest, I find them very, very similar in quality. The AV is better definitely but the Tianyu one holds on its own just fine. From a distance, I don’t think anyone could tell the difference between the two, but I will update tomorrow to see if I see anymore differences. When I got home to get it, the sun was setting so I didn’t get a good look as to how it performs. The only things that stuck out to me were the Tianyu was whiter and the AV had a higher crown(?) and thicker arrows with a smaller culet. Will keep you all posted tomorrow and take better pics. :kiss2:
I’m be so curious to see them side by side in daylight! I ordered the AV because I wanted it to be super white..and I heard that Tianyu’s emerald cuts were not exactly colorless. Of course I want the cut to be better too but was really hoping for super white..I’ll be stalking this to see!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, this is going to be pic heavy. I'm not the best picture taker so it took me a while to get good shots of both. Not to mention my camera kept focusing on one over the other so I had to take collage shots to make side by side comparisons.

Here are some photos in different light settings:

Indoors:

moissy1.jpg
Outdoors (under shade; sorry the Tianyu one is a little out of focus):
moissy2.jpg
Outdoors (against the sunlight):
moissy3.jpg

Both perform very beautifully, but you can see what I mean when I said the Tianyu one has a "snowflake" look to it. I am also thinking now that the Tianyu H&A might look whiter because it is in a white gold setting. However, I did a white paper test with my AV Ideal Round yesterday and I could see some body color, although I don't know, it's possible that it's due to the surrounding environment in my home. I tried it again in my office and the AV looks pretty darn white to me.

Honestly between the two I like the AV one better because to me it looks like it has more depth, but it's not enough to make me dislike the Tianyu one...I actually love my Tianyu one! :love: Anyway, I think if you want to have a more formal ring or if you plan to use this as a long term ring, the AV one might be better to splurge on. However, if you are working on a budget or if you plan to replace your moissy with a diamond in the future, the Tianyu one would be a better choice.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions as I'd be more than happy to help!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I forgot to add! I don't have a lot of experience with diamonds, but I do think that under fluorescent lighting they both look like moissanites to me. Both give off rainbow sparkles...I honestly don't know how you can make a moissanite look diamond-like just because of its properties.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @sd_flp! They’re both beautiful! I’m happy to see that the AV looks whiter than the photo taken with the yellow fluorescent lighting yesterday..My diamonds do give off rainbow sparkles but I know what you mean about the moissanite sparkles. I actually like that!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sd_flp that's so helpful, thank you!!! Definitely leaning towards the AV round for my tension project. Just need to make a damn choice on setting!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @sd_flp! They’re both beautiful! I’m happy to see that the AV looks whiter than the photo taken with the yellow fluorescent lighting yesterday..My diamonds do give off rainbow sparkles but I know what you mean about the moissanite sparkles. I actually like that!
@sd_flp that's so helpful, thank you!!! Definitely leaning towards the AV round for my tension project. Just need to make a damn choice on setting!
I'm glad you both found this helpful. I don't think you can go wrong with AV...the cuts and stones are really special. And I do love the moissy sparkles!!!

If I like my Mona OEC, I might add that to a future AV purchase. Definitely going to go warmer on this one just from what I've seen on this thread! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you both found this helpful. I don't think you can go wrong with AV...the cuts and stones are really special. And I do love the moissy sparkles!!!

If I like my Mona OEC, I might add that to a future AV purchase. Definitely going to go warmer on this one just from what I've seen on this thread! :love:
How did you know that Mona started her own moissanite jewelry? Does she have a website?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t wait to see what you decide! It’s sooooo hard to decide..I know!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
How did you know that Mona started her own moissanite jewelry? Does she have a website?
I was reading in the Starsgem thread that she was telling customers she was resigning and transferring her current projects to her coworkers. I had also found her instagram and started chatting with her through there and she told me herself.

I don't know the circumstances and I didn't want to pry, so I just assumed she wanted to go independent. She's really nice to work with, but her business, like any other new business, is experiencing some growing pains. I'm hoping after she gets the hang of it processing times will be much faster.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, this is going to be pic heavy. I'm not the best picture taker so it took me a while to get good shots of both. Not to mention my camera kept focusing on one over the other so I had to take collage shots to make side by side comparisons.

Here are some photos in different light settings:

Indoors:

moissy1.jpg
Outdoors (under shade; sorry the Tianyu one is a little out of focus):
moissy2.jpg
Outdoors (against the sunlight):
moissy3.jpg

Both perform very beautifully, but you can see what I mean when I said the Tianyu one has a "snowflake" look to it. I am also thinking now that the Tianyu H&A might look whiter because it is in a white gold setting. However, I did a white paper test with my AV Ideal Round yesterday and I could see some body color, although I don't know, it's possible that it's due to the surrounding environment in my home. I tried it again in my office and the AV looks pretty darn white to me.

Honestly between the two I like the AV one better because to me it looks like it has more depth, but it's not enough to make me dislike the Tianyu one...I actually love my Tianyu one! :love: Anyway, I think if you want to have a more formal ring or if you plan to use this as a long term ring, the AV one might be better to splurge on. However, if you are working on a budget or if you plan to replace your moissy with a diamond in the future, the Tianyu one would be a better choice.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions as I'd be more than happy to help!

This is beyond helpful!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this comparison. I’m excited to see how the SG stones compare!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
This is beyond helpful!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this comparison. I’m excited to see how the SG stones compare!
I'm glad you found it helpful! :D I think for the Mona ones I'll start a new thread. I think I commented way too much on this one. :lol: Plus I want to compare hers with Tianyu's, too. ;)2 I am thinking Mona's and Tianyu's will be similar, but we'll see!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops forgot to ask @sd_flp if youve ever seen a "diamonna/diameila" in person? I got one like 2 years ago when I was dissapointed in one of the amora gem iterations (maybe the soaring hearts or something? Got one and returned it bc the arrows were SO dark). I actually love it and wish I had gotten 7mm bc I would likely use it in a different setting. It is the most realistic moissy I've seen in person, but obviously haven't compared to AV round/Moco h&a or ags000 / etc.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Oops forgot to ask @sd_flp if youve ever seen a "diamonna/diameila" in person? I got one like 2 years ago when I was dissapointed in one of the amora gem iterations (maybe the soaring hearts or something? Got one and returned it bc the arrows were SO dark). I actually love it and wish I had gotten 7mm bc I would likely use it in a different setting. It is the most realistic moissy I've seen in person, but obviously haven't compared to AV round/Moco h&a or ags000 / etc.
Actually, no, I haven't! I just looked it up and they look stunning!!! :love: Now I want to know how it compares with AV/Moco! :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, no, I haven't! I just looked it up and they look stunning!!! :love: Now I want to know how it compares with AV/Moco! :lol:
Haha me too! Mine is pretty darn realistic to my eyes. I was trying (and failing) to take IS/ASET images for this thread, but don't have a stupid stone holder, so couldn't make it work. Grrrr.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I think you absolutely should order it and report your findings. You know, because science. :cool2:

Throw a Hollywood Round in there by JHollywood Designs while you’re at it. :whistle: :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I think you absolutely should order it and report your findings. You know, because science. :cool2:

Throw a Hollywood Round in there by JHollywood Designs while you’re at it. :whistle: :lol:
LOL!!! :lol: You make a very good point, hahahahahahaha. ;-):razz:

Off to see what the Hollywood Round looks like! :mrgreen2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I ordered a JH one a while ago, but I think it was a neo? I wasn't impressed at all and returned right away. But it could be a totally different material/cut that you are referring to.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a JH one a while ago, but I think it was a neo? I wasn't impressed at all and returned right away. But it could be a totally different material/cut that you are referring to.

The NEO is a round brilliant, and for a long time I was dead set on it for some reason. After seeing it in real life ordered by people I trust on here and WB, (and not on IG, lol) it was wildly unimpressive. Since then I’ve switched to H&A but this Hollywood Round is almost a transitional cut? It’s gorgeous. It’s from her own ZAYA line. She did a comparison of it, an earth mined diamond, and the NEO.

Here....let me enable you :geek2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bli4wNcB2c1/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bli4-aHlTgG/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSuVaFhmri/?hl=en

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The NEO is a round brilliant, and for a long time I was dead set on it for some reason. After seeing it in real life ordered by people I trust on here and WB, (and not on IG, lol) it was wildly unimpressive. Since then I’ve switched to H&A but this Hollywood Round is almost a transitional cut? It’s gorgeous. It’s from her own ZAYA line. She did a comparison of it, an earth mined diamond, and the NEO.

Here....let me enable you :geek2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bli4wNcB2c1/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bli4-aHlTgG/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSuVaFhmri/?hl=en

wow, interesting! Definitely seems like a transitional cut to me--something between H&A and OEC. Very very pretty!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, last pic, I promise! I am obsessed with how this turned out. Here is a photo of both under a window. The first indoor pic I took was away from the window. The arrows on the AV one are very nice!

moissy4.jpg

I've firmly decided that the AV one is going to be a ring for me. I was going to make it into a pendant, but I love looking at it and want to see it on my hand (lol).

Again, Tianyu isn't bad quality; it just performs differently. I don't find Tianyu's moissanite unattractive, unlike the one I got from India (which most likely will be replaced with a lab diamond). I'm definitely planning on keeping the Tianyu and AV moissanites permanently, if not long term. :love:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, last pic, I promise! I am obsessed with how this turned out. Here is a photo of both under a window. The first indoor pic I took was away from the window. The arrows on the AV one are very nice!

moissy4.jpg

I've firmly decided that the AV one is going to be a ring for me. I was going to make it into a pendant, but I love looking at it and want to see it on my hand (lol).

Again, Tianyu isn't bad quality; it just performs differently. I don't find Tianyu's moissanite unattractive, unlike the one I got from India (which most likely will be replaced with a lab diamond). I'm definitely planning on keeping the Tianyu and AV moissanites permanently, if not long term. :love:

The AV looks beautifully cut. I know @luckyrabbit bought both the AV round and the Amora round from August Vintage in colorless and she said that they are both cut well but the Amora is noticeably whiter. She thought they had actually sent her a near colorless stone because there is an obvious difference. I know the comparison pics are on one of the threads. I think the Tianyu one?

The AV one is definitely cut beautifully. Very strong arrows...I know luckyrabbit bought both an Amora & an August Vintage round. I wish I could remember which one she bought as colorless and the other as near colorless but the near colorless was whiter than the other one. The cuts were almost identical though. @michellelynn9175....do you remember? It is in one of these threads but I would have to look through so many pages to find it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The AV looks beautifully cut. I know @luckyrabbit bought both the AV round and the Amora round from August Vintage in colorless and she said that they are both cut well but the Amora is noticeably whiter. She thought they had actually sent her a near colorless stone because there is an obvious difference. I know the comparison pics are on one of the threads. I think the Tianyu one?

The AV one is definitely cut beautifully. Very strong arrows...I know luckyrabbit bought both an Amora & an August Vintage round. I wish I could remember which one she bought as colorless and the other as near colorless but the near colorless was whiter than the other one. The cuts were almost identical though. @michellelynn9175....do you remember? It is in one of these threads but I would have to look through so many pages to find it.

Oh man, there have been so many posts since then. Lol! I’ll go back through and see if I can find it. If I can, I’ll link it here and reference the page number.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, there have been so many posts since then. Lol! I’ll go back through and see if I can find it. If I can, I’ll link it here and reference the page number.
It is a little easier to search on WB and I see the Amora but I don’t know if she ever did a comparison over there with both at the same time. Too many threads....it is a comparison we should save because she had the Moco one too but I think it was not the AGS version.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock

I think I understand what she is talking about. In certain lighting I think the AV has a warm tone to it. I don’t particularly consider myself color sensitive but I can see it. I wasn’t sure if the stone was picking up colors from the background or not. I thought I was going crazy! Not that it’s a huge deal because for the most part the AV faces up white and is well cut.

I would love to try the Amora, but I’ll be honest, the cost turns me off. For the amount, I’d rather put that money towards a lab diamond. I love moissys, but not enough to spend over $600 for a 6.5mm!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It is a little easier to search on WB and I see the Amora but I don’t know if she ever did a comparison over there with both at the same time. Too many threads....it is a comparison we should save because she had the Moco one too but I think it was not the AGS version.

She compared Tianyu and Amora on page 1 of the StarsGem thread. I don’t know that she ever put the Amora and AV head to head, but I could be wrong. Her Amora was an E but I’m not sure about the AV. I can do some more research over on WB too. She and I have chatted EXTENSIVELY about all her stones. She’s my guinea pig :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

moissy4.jpg

They are both gorgeous! Feel free to post more pics! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results