shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacked by neighbor''s rottweiler...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 9:16:05 PM
Author: Mandarine

Date: 1/11/2007 9:05:24 PM
Author: Shay37
Teehee, great minds think alike.

shay

hehe, thanks though! you''re too sweet!!!

I sent everything to my lawyer also. Hopefully I''ll be able to talk to him tomorrow with more time so we can discuss our options.

I did tell the officer that the dog was vicious and dangerous...she said she couln''t o anything, that was the ''law'' she couldn''t take the dog from their owners or require them to walk him with a muzzle.

She was right down nasty. At one point I didn''t understand what she said and asked her to repeat it for me....she raised her voice and started speaking to me like I''m an idiot (yes, I have an accent and english is not my first language, but I''m not an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I''m really stupid because I din''t get her name!!!...it must be on the records at their office, right? yes

I can see this is just not going well for anyone...and it really upsets me...I really hoped we could all act like responsible adults and I was trying to be as nice as I could. This entire afternoon I have felt worse than before but it''s just from being angry and stressed. What a huge difference mental attitude makes. I was feeling so positive before and thought things would get better...instead I feel like I''m being bullied and the one where all the fingers are pointing to.

I have to try to stay calm and trust that the system will actually work as it is designed to work (at least according to that website). Maybe this was just an incompetent officer....and hopefully things are not as she explained.

My mom is leaving tomorrow morning
7.gif
...I''m going to miss her!!!

M~
Hugs to you, honey. I cannot tell that English is not your first language at all. I would never even have guessed. Her name should be at their office as the responding officer.

Prayers going up for you in this. Chin up.

shay

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i would try to stay focused. i don''t believe your dog has anything to do with the attack so don''t let yourself get upset or go down that path. follow the legal channels and try not to get involved in a lot of upsetting neighborhood gossip. if someone wants to address your dog they need to take a separate action. at least, in my way of thinking. good luck!
1.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, I''m so mad at the way that they''ve all been acting about this.
29.gif
I''m glad to hear that you''re getting better though.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for being here...you have no iea how much you yave helped me...

I think the infection is not getting better though...I don''t know...
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Last night my neighbors took pictures and it looked ok. I had been trying to keep my arm up (as much as I can move it up) all day long. Then all of the sudden (I swear within 1 hour) my arm started feeling hot and I started feeling hot too....then I go look and it had swollen up tremendeously and it was RED. This time the swelling was coming down to my forearm (last time it was shoing up to the elbow).

So I slept with the arm up all night and this morning it looks better, still swollen and red, but better. I don''t know if I should back to the ER again....they had asked me to wait 2 days (that will be tomorrow).

I don''t mind the pain, I know the wounds will swell and I know they will look ugly for a while....but having it be so red and hot scares me.

I don''t know if we have any doctors around here (or nurses)....to give me advice.

It''s better now but like I said, I slep all night with my arm up...I must have broken into a fever because my hair was all wet (sorry if TMI). Should I give it sometime and then decide if I go to the ER today?
15.gif

My mom already left....at around 4 am the shuttle came to pick her up and I showed her the arm, she said it was still swollen but better and that it was still red. She said I should go to the ER, but you know, she''s my mom and she already felt terrible leaving me here...

7.gif

M~

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine,

Can you call your Primary Care physician and ask him/her their thoughts on what to do? Maybe they can give you an ER referral, which if I''m not mistaken, saves you the ER visit fee and also may (though I''m not sure on this one) get you seen faster? I''m a pretty big baby, so if it were me, I''d get in to see a doctor today -- better safe than sorry!

As a side note, I know that you are originally from Venezuela and live in Florida now -- my hubby is also from Caracas but then lived in Florida and was curious if you live in/near Weston (that''s where he lived and I know there''s a big Veneuzuelan community there) .... I showed him your photo (cooking paella
1.gif
) and you didn''t look familiar to him, but now we''re just curious!

Wishing you a good day today both in terms of less pain and better luck with Animal Control. It''s just shocking how rude and useless they were to you ... unacceptable!! Like you need to deal with that on top of being a victim of an attack. Jeez!

Hugs!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, I would call the ER today and tell them what you've told us and let them decide if you should come today instead of tomorrow.

Hang in there sweetie.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 7:56:32 AM
Author: ellaila
Mandarine,

Can you call your Primary Care physician and ask him/her their thoughts on what to do? Maybe they can give you an ER referral, which if I''m not mistaken, saves you the ER visit fee and also may (though I''m not sure on this one) get you seen faster? I''m a pretty big baby, so if it were me, I''d get in to see a doctor today -- better safe than sorry!

As a side note, I know that you are originally from Venezuela and live in Florida now -- my hubby is also from Caracas but then lived in Florida and was curious if you live in/near Weston (that''s where he lived and I know there''s a big Veneuzuelan community there) .... I showed him your photo (cooking paella
1.gif
) and you didn''t look familiar to him, but now we''re just curious!

Wishing you a good day today both in terms of less pain and better luck with Animal Control. It''s just shocking how rude and useless they were to you ... unacceptable!! Like you need to deal with that on top of being a victim of an attack. Jeez!

Hugs!!!
Thanks!!

I am from Caracas, Venezuela...and of course live in Weston too! haha...how funny!....we call it "Westonzuela"
4.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I called the er they said they would recommend I go to my PCP...but if I feel it''s an emergency I could come to the ER...

I''m trying to call my PCP now...

M~

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, you want to be very very careful about septic infections. I do not want to be a fear monger but you really want to be so careful. I had a tiny infection in a hangnail that then caused me to have red striations going up my inner arm from my hand to my elbow. I had to go immediately to to doctor and have massive injections of antibiotics. Sepsis can be deadly so PLEASE, with the heat and swelling, do not wait. What is the worst thing? You went to the ER without it being a full emergency. Not that big a deal to me in this case. If you have red streaks that are going up your limb, this is a MAJOR emergency so please just get to the ER asap...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plus, it is so convenient that now they are discussing issues with YOUR dog, deflecting focus away from their issues. The situation if true is totally different and why is it coming up NOW? Their dog attacked you unprovoked and is over sized according to the rules, it is not the same and they are just trying to confuse the issue.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hot + red = infection (many times). I wouldn''t mess around with this. Be proactive. This type of infection can get out of control very easy.

As for animal control - didn''t do their job. Ask for another person to come out. My guess is that your neighbor contacted animal control as a pre-emptive strike. My guess is that she told them you have retained an attorney (and are out for money). They, animal control, react very differently in situations like that.

Hopes

Rough_Rock
So sorry to hear about the worsening infection Mandarine...
7.gif
I really hope you feel better, and my thoughts are with you. Don''t get too stressed out over this... your neighbors sound like a nasty sort of people, and honestly it''s all the better that they remove all sympathy and kindness you have toward them from you. That will in the end protect you better against such petty and irresponsible people. Your dog never sent anyone to the ER, but theirs did. The government always works super slowly, and often you just have to get the right people who actually do their jobs involved, which can be difficult. Hang in there... I know you can pull through this!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with previous posters Mandarine - go to ER. Your wounds did not know they were expected to behave to be shown in 2 days, you''d better adjust to them not to your schedule.

The whole AC deal is unbelievable.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
infected?! dog bite?! get thee to medical care immediately!!!!!

and report this turn of events to your attorney, the powers that be dealing with the dog, and anyone else except the neighbor.

while the owner of the dog has liability, i''m going to guess that the actual owner of the property who rented to them also has liability which should be covered under their insurance.

movie zombie

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all again.

I just got back from seeing my PCP...as I suspected from before he is useless!. He kept making noises like "ughhh" like thinking 'nasty!'.....but he said it doesn't look red now and he is "almost positive" that I will heal. That I should go to the ER if it does get red again...since it's not red this morning. That is not that he doesn't believe me, but it's one thing what the patient says an another thing what the doctors see.

I said I understood it's not red now, but it was it's still hot an a little swollen an he said it's normal because I need to give the antibiotics time to do their job. So....I'm going to be watching it all day, if it starts getting red I'm going to the ER immediately.

My doctor is so useless that he asked me why I threw away the dressing I had on the wound when I initially came in!. I said "because that was already used" he said he didn't have anything to dress wounds because he never deals with wound care!...he finally found some gaze an tried to patch it up a bit....Another nurse saw it an she said it looked good to her (from an infection perspective) but that it was such as nasty wound!! (she actually said it in Spanish with some badd wors...hehe, which was kind of funny)

Then he asked me to come back an see him on Monday...right, don't stay up waiting for me Doc.

So I will stay home for a while an just watch it. Thank you for all the replies.

My BF is really angry at AC an he will be calling them today to speak to a supervisor...thank Go because I can't deal with them and I don't feel like screaming...

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 9:36:43 AM
Author: fire&ice
Hot + red = infection (many times). I wouldn''t mess around with this. Be proactive. This type of infection can get out of control very easy.

As for animal control - didn''t do their job. Ask for another person to come out. My guess is that your neighbor contacted animal control as a pre-emptive strike. My guess is that she told them you have retained an attorney (and are out for money). They, animal control, react very differently in situations like that.

You might be right...the owner of the house (mom of the guy who''s GF owns the dog) is a cop herself....

Isn''t it also just crazy that the police never did inform animal control and when I called 2 days later to get an update they had not even heard of the case??

She''s a cop....she should be smarter then about following the rules of the community....specially knowing she will end up being the one that is liable for everything (they all live in her house). She should be smarter than to be going around now talking to other neighbors...if anything she should be trying to keep a low profile.

M~

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, you couldn't write this stuff if you tried. It's like a comedy of errors -- and not in a funny way!
7.gif

I can't believe the number of ignorant people you've had to deal with throughout this (neighbors, doctors (!), AC) -- it's so infuriating to those of us reading the posts, I can't even imagine how you're coping with this all so well (though I'm sure painkillers have a nice numbing effect, I hope!). I've always been impressed by your graciousness and sweetness in your posts, and obviously you are that way in real life too -- go you!! As you said earlier, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, and seems like this ordeal is going to take up to Superwoman status
2.gif

And that's funny that you live in Weston! Next time we go out that way (May I believe), we should meet up!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 11:11:06 AM

Date: 1/12/2007 9:36:43 AM

You might be right...the owner of the house (mom of the guy who''s GF owns the dog) is a cop herself....

Isn''t it also just crazy that the police never did inform animal control and when I called 2 days later to get an update they had not even heard of the case??

She''s a cop....she should be smarter then about following the rules of the community....specially knowing she will end up being the one that is liable for everything (they all live in her house). She should be smarter than to be going around now talking to other neighbors...if anything she should be trying to keep a low profile.

M~
Ah. It all makes sense now. Cops take care of cops. And, I would venture a guess that the boy and his mom have no formal rental agreeement. He may not even be paying rent. Also, could the girlfriend could be viewed as just a "visitor" - and not a resident of the house?

Another thing - the owner of the house may not have the type of insurance necessisary for "rental property". If I were you, I would add up your medical costs not covered by your insurance. Talk to a plastic surgeon about possible scar minimizing. You can get a handle on how much that would be. Present a itemized ''bill" to your neighbors sooner rather than later with a less and accept about future medical bills.

As to AC, you best bet would be to find out if the dog has a license. If not, it''s a technicality that can be exploited.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
These are things my lawyer will take care of. I doubt my insurance will remain quiet if they find out that this wasn''t my fault and someone else is liable...

M~

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m an animal lover too. However I think you have to take action because it could happen again to another person or an ANIMAL like another dog or cat. That dog should be wearing one of those thingys around it''s mouth when it goes outside.

Im glad your doing okay.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 4:09:57 PM
These are things my lawyer will take care of. I doubt my insurance will remain quiet if they find out that this wasn''t my fault and someone else is liable...

M~
I just finished reading through this whole thread, and I''m a bit concerned that several days have gone by and it''s not clear what, if anything, your lawyer has done. I realize he''s your friend, but what does he practice? Believe it or not, there are lawyers who specialize in dog-bite cases, and I would recommend that you find one. Better to have a stranger who has expertise in this area than a friend who does not. Even garden-variety personal injury cases differ from dog bite cases. My concern here is really stemming from the way you seem to be stumbling around without having any clear idea what is going to happen or the exact law that applies here. Your lawyer, assuming he has any experience with this kind of case, should have explained all this to you when he agreed to help you. Did he?

On another note, I would hesitate, for now, to start worrying about "cops protecting cops." That kind of thing happens less often than people think. Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. For now, I think you can assume the AC officer was simply a lazy, ignorant bureaucrat who doesn''t want to do anything she doesn''t have to. That kind of thing is far more common. However, it''s all the more reason why you need--pardon the metaphor here--a pit bull for a lawyer, not a poodle. It may be there are things you haven''t reported yet, but I don''t like what I''ve seen so far.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:24:34 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

M~

I just finished reading through this whole thread, and I''m a bit concerned that several days have gone by and it''s not clear what, if anything, your lawyer has done. I realize he''s your friend, but what does he practice? Believe it or not, there are lawyers who specialize in dog-bite cases, and I would recommend that you find one. Better to have a stranger who has expertise in this area than a friend who does not. Even garden-variety personal injury cases differ from dog bite cases. My concern here is really stemming from the way you seem to be stumbling around without having any clear idea what is going to happen or the exact law that applies here. Your lawyer, assuming he has any experience with this kind of case, should have explained all this to you when he agreed to help you. Did he?

On another note, I would hesitate, for now, to start worrying about ''cops protecting cops.'' That kind of thing happens less often than people think. Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. For now, I think you can assume the AC officer was simply a lazy, ignorant bureaucrat who doesn''t want to do anything she doesn''t have to. That kind of thing is far more common. However, it''s all the more reason why you need--pardon the metaphor here--a pit bull for a lawyer, not a poodle. It may be there are things you haven''t reported yet, but I don''t like what I''ve seen so far.

Point very well taken. There are things I haven''t discussed here because they are part of the legal case, but I do need to sit down with my lawyer and discuss everything...which will happen tomorrow. For now (keep in mind it hasn''t even been a week) he has asked that I concentrate on getting better and taking care of the infection while he works on all the inital steps (sending a letter out to them, to their insurance, etc). While he doesn''t specialize in dog bites, his firm has dealt with very similar cases....so he is doing research and discussign with his partners.

If after my talk tomorrow I don''t feel confident, I will consider other options.

Regarding animal control. My BF called today and was able to speak to someone helpful!!!! she gave us the numbers to the people we need to talk to. Not only about the case, but to report the attitude of the officer that came and her lack of knowledge about the laws. My BF told them they should consider having someone more sensible visiting recently attacked victims that are obviously still shaken up!!

So what WILL happen is. If they agree to pay their fine within 30 days, they are ''taking responsibility'' for their dog an accepting he is dangerous...at that time the muzzle law will be immediately applied to them. If they don''t pay the fine and decide to wait for the court date in March, I woul have to go testify an then the court will decide if my accusation is valid (which the officer my BF talked to said would be plain and simple since I got stitches). Then they would still have to pay the fine an muzzle law will go into effect.

So that''s good news. Now getting the dog out of here will be up to the HOA. My lawyer needs a copy of the by-laws but I don''t have them. He''s trying to get a copy and so am I (through neighbors since the HOA members have not contacted me back).

I just came back from taking a short walk with my dog....I keep looking all around me now...all nervous
8.gif
...I will get a pepper spray or something.....maybe it would make me feel more confident walking outside, specially when big dogs approach me.

Thank you all!!!

M~

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:43:47 PM

Point very well taken. There are things I haven''t discussed here because they are part of the legal case, but I do need to sit down with my lawyer and discuss everything...which will happen tomorrow. For now (keep in mind it hasn''t even been a week) he has asked that I concentrate on getting better and taking care of the infection while he works on all the inital steps (sending a letter out to them, to their insurance, etc). While he doesn''t specialize in dog bites, his firm has dealt with very similar cases....so he is doing research and discussign with his partners.
Okay--good. My concerns are alleviated. Sounds like he''s got a good handle on it.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:24:34 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

M~

On another note, I would hesitate, for now, to start worrying about ''cops protecting cops.'' That kind of thing happens less often than people think. Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. For now, I think you can assume the AC officer was simply a lazy, ignorant bureaucrat who doesn''t want to do anything she doesn''t have to. That kind of thing is far more common. However, it''s all the more reason why you need--pardon the metaphor here--a pit bull for a lawyer, not a poodle. It may be there are things you haven''t reported yet, but I don''t like what I''ve seen so far.
Cap''t oh Cap''t - they *DO* protect each other. This isn''t a comment made in a vaccum of spy novel (which adimtedly I hooked ;-). I have seen this over and over again - especially in "inocuos" cases like this. Push it under the rug and worry about it later. Agree, the AC may have been ignorant bureacat. But, there doesn''t seem to be any "call to be" for what happened.

Yeah, agreed - what is the attorney doing? If all she wants is medical damages - why is their a problem?

Also, and I don''t know - I thought ALL medical insurance was for the person insured - regardless of fault - Wrong?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 11:30:11 AM
Author: ellaila
Honestly, you couldn''t write this stuff if you tried. It''s like a comedy of errors -- and not in a funny way!
7.gif
I know and it''s upsetting me greatly - I feel uncomfortable reading this because it''s bringing back really bad memories.... thankfully in my neighborhood the dog had terrorized other people and no one tried to turn it around on me, but the frustration of no one GingAS about this vicious dog is just too much to bear.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 7:54:11 PM
Cap''t oh Cap''t - they *DO* protect each other. This isn''t a comment made in a vaccum of spy novel (which adimtedly I hooked ;-). I have seen this over and over again - especially in ''inocuos'' cases like this. Push it under the rug and worry about it later. Agree, the AC may have been ignorant bureacat. But, there doesn''t seem to be any ''call to be'' for what happened.

Also, and I don''t know - I thought ALL medical insurance was for the person insured - regardless of fault - Wrong?
Yes, yes, they do--my point is just that the accusations of such things far outpace the reality in my experience. I''d just like to see a bit more evidence than this before I start issuing condemnations.

I think what Mandarine is talking about is that her insurance company can seek reimbursement for her medical costs from the party at fault, if her injuries are the result of someone else''s negligence/malfeasance. Subrogation is the term for it in the business.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

M~
assume nothing Mandarine - you''d be surprised how easily people roll over for less than 100k.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 7:54:11 PM
Cap''t oh Cap''t - they *DO* protect each other. This isn''t a comment made in a vaccum of spy novel (which adimtedly I hooked ;-). I have seen this over and over again - especially in ''inocuos'' cases like this. Push it under the rug and worry about it later. Agree, the AC may have been ignorant bureacat. But, there doesn''t seem to be any ''call to be'' for what happened.

Yeah, agreed - what is the attorney doing? If all she wants is medical damages - why is their a problem?

medical insurance covered everything with my son upfront - BUT once they know someone else is liable they will seek reimbursement.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine, I am sorry I am just catching recent events now. A couple of concerns - It is really not clear to me if you are getting better or worse - some of your posts sound like you are improving (''the redness is gone''), and some sound like you are saying it is getting worse (''the redness is worse''). Has the redness extended beyond the original pen mark? Or, does it appear to be ''streaking'' up your arm beyond the original area? Are you running a fever? If you are taking tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin (or a pain medication with acetaminophen or aspirin included in it) it may suppress a fever - it sounds like you had night sweats last night when you woke up drenched in sweat, which given the circumstances are concerning that you were, indeed, febrile.

If it is worsening then yes, I would go to the ER. If the redness, pain, swelling, and warmth are progressing (not staying the same or regressing), then there are a few possibilities off the top of my head. 1. the oral antibiotic you are on does not cover the bacteria causing the infection 2. the oral antibiotic normally covers the bacteria, but the particular strain you have has resistance to that antibiotic 3. you may have an abscess that needs to be opened and drained or 4. you just need better tissue penetration with IV antibiotics. If you are worsening, you may need admission to the hospital for IV antibiotics. It is okay to return sooner than you are advised if you are getting worse - no one with medical training would EVER fault you for returning early for worsening symptoms.

Also, have you had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine! I am so sorry for what has happened/what is happening to you! What an awful situation! I just read this whole thread, have been on and off PS in the last few days so hadn''t been over to this part of the forum.
I don''t want to repeat what has been said but I agree w/so much.
First off, make sure you are being treated properly. If you don''t trust your dr., get a new one! Talk to the supervisor of the dept. and request to be treated by another. Do not let that go!
My most important advice, which was already given, is write down everything that is going on. Write down these issues w/your dr. and the comments he''s making to you, the concerns you have w/him. Write down all the discussions that you''ve had w/your neighbor and the other neighbor friend of yours. Everything you remember helps.
Write a letter or have your lawyer write a letter verbalizing the neighbor''s agreement to pay your medical costs and have it sent certified to them.
Continue to contact the HOA. If they aren''t calling back, go there and talk to someone. Have your atty go there and send a letter on her/his letterhead.
Call the police dept. and ask to speak to a sargeant. Have him explain the law to you and if it''s different than what you''re reading, ask him to explain. Tell him that this is not being handled properly.
Call animal control and ask to speak to a supvsr. Report that lady who came to your house. Explain that from what you''ve gathered, the law is not being followed.
Have your atty indicate in writing that legal action will be pursued if proper action is not taken to resolve this. Tell the HOA that you will contact the media if they do not enforce their policy immediately.

Again, I am sooo sorry this is happening to you! I hope I wasn''t too repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results