shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacked by neighbor''s rottweiler...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine I am really learning a lot from you. You are handling this whole scary thing so very well. I don''t think I could do as good a job. I wish you a speedy recovery. God bless you!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It's a relieve to hear that infection went down, we all proud of you.
One more suggestion for your lawyer - if it's possible to demand that those people were never allowed to own anything more than a hamster?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
jftr when I said I kept neosporin on the wounds I meant he didn''t get any SCABS haha not scaps - gonna go edit that lol

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I had to check and see how you were, Mandarine.

I am so glad to see the antibiotics are working and the infection is starting to clear up. Now your body can turn from fighting bugs to healing your arm.

Hopefully, the healing process will be quick!! You have a bright and positive attitude. That always helps one to feel better faster!!
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2007 1:41:47 PM
Author: Pricescope
It''s a relieve to hear that infection went down, we all proud of you.

One more suggestion for your lawyer - if it''s possible to demand that those people were never allowed to own anything more than a hamster?

Hampster? Ha! I''m thinking goldfish!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 3:08:49 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

It''s a relieve to hear that infection went down, we all proud of you.

One more suggestion for your lawyer - if it''s possible to demand that those people were never allowed to own anything more than a hamster?

Hampster? Ha! I''m thinking goldfish!

Pet rock?
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
mandarin,
this is terrible. you have received such excellent advice here, i just want to say that i am so glad that you are (mostly!) okay.

take care.
emrose.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you''re doing better today. Take care of yourself, and hang in there.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 12:33:33 PM
Author: fire&ice
Keep in mind that the visual wounds are not the only damage inflicted by a dog bite. The motion of the bite will make your skin and bones VERY bruised. Add that to your list of injuries. I''ve never seen a dog bite that didn''t include this injury. Did they X ray you? I have seen bites with bone injuries from the impact of the teeth.

I''m really glad that the infection is clearing up.
F&I is absolutely right. I still have dents in my wrist that you can see where the skin was not broken but the bone was dented, and it remains to this day. Even though my arm was completely numb and I could feel nothing and couldn''t move my fingers, I was in a great deal of pain from the trauma and brusing on the bone.

Also, that swelling thing, yup, I can relate. My arm was three times the size of the other one. It did go down within about a week and a half though to a significant degree.

I am so glad that your infection is better, and your spirits seem so good. You hang in there. We''ll get you through this.
9.gif
HUGS

shay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It's a relieve to hear that infection went down, we all proud of you.
One more suggestion for your lawyer - if it's possible to demand that those people were never allowed to own anything more than a hamster?
How about only a PICTURE of a hamster?

Mandarine, so glad to hear that you're on the mend, and dreadfully sorry for what you've been through.

No one should have to be in fear while walking in front of their own residence.....and I hope your HOA will do the right thing for you.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
You will NOT believe this..................................................

Animal Control just came over. She just came in, asked me to take off the dressing on the wound so she could take pictures and then she said that was it. She actually didn''t even think it was necessary to get a picture of the puncture wound from his nail on the side of my breast because it was probably too small (this she said without even looking at it!!!!) I stopped her and asked her if she needed to ask ME any questions, she said no...that I will get a subpoena to appear in court on March 9th.

I asked her about what happens to the dog and she said: "What do you mean?". Nothing happens....I asked her about quarantine and she said that quarantine just happens in their house, but the dog is allowed to go outside for walks. I asked if they will at least require that the dog wears a muzzle, she said no....at least not for now. Until March 9th they can go about their business and walk their dog as they please, without a muzzle or anything. I told her I was terrified, she said there was nothing she could do an that this is the law. I said I just couldn''t believe it, that if this would have been a child, he/she would have been dead. All she said was, well, that''s the law ma''am.

So I asked what happens once I go to court, if they find the accusation "valid" (her terms) she said that they will give them a $500 fine and they may give them some restrictions. That''s it. So I asked her what if the same dog attacks someone else....she said that they will have to go to court again and the dog may be classified as dangerous and they may require some training or rehabilitation. I asked at what point they took any of this seriously before the dog killed someone....she continued to be rude (she was rude from the moment she walked here) and said it was out of her hands. I said I just couldn''t believe it, that if this would have been a child, he/she would have been dead. All she said was, well, that''s the law ma''am....she suggested I contacted my HOA since they may have stricter laws....can you believe it??

This is so ridiculous I''m in complete shock. My jaw is still on the floor. So I have to live with that beast next door an be terrified every single day!!!!!!!!.....I just don''t get it. Why won''t they even require a muzzle or even some obedience training????? Something for God''s sake!!!!!!!!!!. All this is "on hold" for 2 months until they even have to face any kind of responsibility....which by the way it looks, it won''t be much to face..a fine and MAYBE a muzzle restriction.

I''m so mad right now that I''m shaking. I left a message for the HOA''s vice president to call me back as soon as possible.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
WHAT??? Oh I can't belive this!!! I'd call the officer who saw you in the ER, or call her supervisior. This just seems sooo WRONG!!!
38.gif
Hire an attorney!!!! Someone has to look out for YOU!!! Sheesh.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow.
29.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
That is COMPLETELY unacceptable!!! I got angry just reading it. I hope you got that lady''s name, because I think you should call them back and explain her curt attitude. She sounded like she didn''t even care! I don''t have any legal advice, sorry, but I hope someone has suggestions for you. I''m so sorry this is happening. It just makes no sense. If the dog lands someone in the HOSPITAL like that, you''d think they''d take them away. If it had been a person it would have been aggravated assault and they would have been taken away. Since the owners can''t control him, he''s a danger to everyone in your neighborhood, especially children. Now I''m mad, haha. Good luck!

*M*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 6:10:39 PM
Author: Mandarine
You will NOT believe this..................................................
oh no *I* believe it and I''m not even surprised.... why? because that was my experience as well.

Hence the whole suing thing. Like I said before - suing isn''t just about money, it is about forcing action.

And as optimistic as you feel about the lawyer thing, it''s a tough road... you say its a friend so that may help but these cases realy only bring 10, 20, maybe 30 thousand - half of which goes to the lawyer, and half of the remainder that goes to taxes. Considering a lawsuit very well will drag out a year, two years, three years, it isn''t a huge $ incentive for the lawyers to want a case like this. Even if you manage a 50k award.... it''s just hard to get someone who will follow through on all of this. If they have homeowners - or whomever has it - they may want to settle - we got several offers to settle early on, but it was just for money and we wanted to make sure the animal was highly secured. In the end we still didn''t get everything we wanted, but we did get it so their homeowners had to do the payout and that automatically gets them hit for a vicious dog which often raises their rates immediately and sometimes they will refuse to insure them if the dog is there. It makes it expensive if not impossible for the people to own the dog.

Anyway I''m very sorry that it has come to this but I am not at all surprised. Keep documenting everything. If you REALLY want to make changes, contact your city, county, and state representatives about making changes to the law. Be prepared for a LOT LOT LOT of work if ou take that route.... so much that most don''t do it which is why the laws still are the way they are and dogs still get away with being aholes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 6:19:32 PM
Author: poptart
That is COMPLETELY unacceptable!!! I got angry just reading it. I hope you got that lady''s name, because I think you should call them back and explain her curt attitude. She sounded like she didn''t even care! I don''t have any legal advice, sorry, but I hope someone has suggestions for you. I''m so sorry this is happening. It just makes no sense. If the dog lands someone in the HOSPITAL like that, you''d think they''d take them away. If it had been a person it would have been aggravated assault and they would have been taken away. Since the owners can''t control him, he''s a danger to everyone in your neighborhood, especially children. Now I''m mad, haha. Good luck!

*M*
my husband who is a very non-violent person in all aspects of life was so mad at the whole situation, the dog, the neighbors, the laws that he wanted to kill the dog so bad.... he didn''t of course but it disturbed me greatly that his mind went there at all
7.gif

the situation sucks. Mandarine - reread my earlier posts and see if there''s anything that you can relate to better now... I''m really sorry....

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

Holy Sh^t

I am happy to see that infection has gone down.

36.gif
May I ask what state you reside in. I did Animal control when I was younger, and for any animal bite we where called out to the scene and responsible to file a report along with the cop. As well as taking pictures and documentation of everything. Also we had to put the animal in quarantine for 11 days at our kennel. Also there should be an automatic fine for the dog not being on a leash. I am so sorry to her about the inaducat animal control in your area. I think this is how animal control gets such a bad name.

I just hope all ends well with you and that hose people never have any sort of animal again.

Brittany

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 6:24:02 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/11/2007 6:19:32 PM
Author: poptart

*M*
my husband who is a very non-violent person in all aspects of life was so mad at the whole situation, the dog, the neighbors, the laws that he wanted to kill the dog so bad.... he didn''t of course but it disturbed me greatly that his mind went there at all
7.gif

the situation sucks. Mandarine - reread my earlier posts and see if there''s anything that you can relate to better now... I''m really sorry....

OMG...I will...thank you so much....I will go back an re-read everything...once I calm down a bit.

Here I thought it would be similar to an espisode of "Animal Cops"
7.gif

I''m just in shock about this whole thing....it''s just hard for me right now to feel positive so I have to re-gain my strenght...and once I recover, I might go as far as I can with this and get some laws changed. I''m no a US citizen, but maybe I can somehow make a tiny difference.

The attack on your son sounds 100 times worse than mine was, I am so sorry. Mine was not nearly as bad but I''m seeing how quickly people change attitudes (neighbors) how rude people can be and how ridiculous these "laws" are (or rather lack of laws).....I am just in complete shock and so mad
8.gif

The lawyer knows there is not much in here for him....but he''s a good friend of ours and will have my best interest at heart....that part I feel positive about...

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m shocked and speechless...
23.gif
29.gif

OK...I''d get "active" with the homeowners assn. If they don''t insist the dog be removed from the property immediately, threaten to sue them!!!!

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m seriously stupefied here. I can''t believe your freaking HOA would have stricter rules than Animal Control. Real big help they sound like.
20.gif

You shouldn''t have to live next to this animal at the very LEAST, and the HOA needs to demand the dog go. I feel horrible for whomever has to live next to it after this, if that''s all that can be done!
38.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
mandarin, i am sorry about the attack and subsequent problems. i think that you may get better results after the march hearing. this sounds pretty much like innocent until proven guilty. i don''t agree that the dog should still be there but i think it might be a case of following procedure. at least, i hope it is.

the animal control officer is probably supposed to remain unbiased and just get the pictures. i hope that you get your day in court and that you prevail. i don''t think the dog is safe to be around.

i hope you keep good records and are able to articulate well what happened when the court date arrives. that can only work in your favor. let''s hope this is just going through the hoops and not a case of the owner getting by with this. good luck to you and i wish you a speedy recovery.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 6:51:08 PM
Author: widget
I''m shocked and speechless...
23.gif
29.gif

OK...I''d get ''active'' with the homeowners assn. If they don''t insist the dog be removed from the property immediately, threaten to sue them!!!!

widget
Better yet, have your lawyer contact the HOA...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''ve asked before - What is the law in your State?

Our state would never have of it. You must be on the West Coast.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
What an aggravating situation. I know in my city the dog would have at least been taken in & quarantined most of the cases I have seen though the dog is put to sleep & that is just for attacking another animal! I am sure your HOA will take action they will probably tell them to get rid of the dog & if they dont fine them, put a lien on their home etc...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I didn't respond any sooner...I'm in Florida (South Florida, Broward County to be exact).

I need to do some reserach on the laws...could this just be a case of an un-trained offficer? I don't think so....but get this..

My other neighbor (a very nice girl from the same country I'm from) came to take pictures of my arm since I don't have a digital camera and I wanted to get more pictures of the wounds (my little sister took pictures when it first occured, but she left to go back to school and took her camera with her)

Anyway, my nice neighbor told me that the other neighbor came over....pretty much to talk trash about me and saying she couldn't believe I wanted to sue her or whatever. My nice neighbor said she didn't think I was suing her, but she needed to understand that getting a lawyer was the right thing to do and that she should put herself in my hoes, etc. Anyway, she goes on to tell her that the animal control told her that I had said that her dog once chased after my 6 year old nephew.

1) My nephews don't live here and when they came visit the dog wasn't living there
2) I never said anything about a nephew to the animal control
3) Both my nephews are under 3 years old

So my nice neighbor said that was impossible that I would have said that....the other one said "well, the officer was clear that she made this false accusations". What the heck?????????. I said there are kids running around this neighborhood and that an attack like that could have killed a chil or whatever....but I never sai anything about any nephews!!!!!!. Another ridiculous point to add to the story
29.gif

Then she went on to tell my neighbor that my dog had ATTACKED a kid....which again, completely un-true...he did jump on a kid (a 14 or 15 year old kid) an the kid kicked him.

I'm just so annoyed and upset. The HOA hasn't called me back either.

Even when I do have "my day in court" I was already advised by the animal control officer that at most they will require that the dog wears a muzzle. The $500 fine I think they do have to pay regardless, but I'm not sure about that either...she said I needed to go to court so they could decide if my accusations were valid.

I believe the dogs in Dade County (Miami area) are tougher when it comes to animal control. Regardless of the outcome, I will become active on trying to change something or at least tell my story.

I wasn't expecting (and didn't even know if I wanted) for the dog to be put to sleep....but I was expecting some sort of immediate action, at least until they are able to determine if the dog is dangerous. Quarantine at home? Be able to go on walks, without a muzzle or special collar?. It's just all a joke and so irresponsible from the government to allow this.

29.gif

7.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, first of all, that kid who was supposedly attacked by your dog was jumped on after he entered your backyard and your dog was on a leash I think you said. hardly the same at all. Mark it all down. Keep a journal. If they don''t shut up, expand your suit to include slander and defamation of character.
29.gif

I am too furious for words. It took us forever to get something done about a dog that lived down the street from us and was menacing me and my DH and children in our yard. The first AC officer could not have cared less. The police never showed up when I called. This went on off and on for two years. This dog was close to 200 pounds a bull mastiff. This could have been ugly as we live within a block of an elementary school.

We get a new dog officer, and she comes out and takes a report. I explained the situation. I had to fill out a report which I did. My other neighbor came over and got a sheet to fill out a report too. She said that''s great if we could just get one more person to corroborate, I could do something. WTF!!!

She did say that our town had an ordinance that required all dogs to be registered with the town. (this is important. pay attention) It was done at town hall and cost $5. If it was not done, the officer could issue a citation every day for $50. Hehehehe. She was an elderly and infirm person who could not control the dog and could not make it to town hall either, so I kept calling. Everytime the dog officer visited she could issue a citation for failure to have the dog registered. (this was not just for big or dangerous dogs. it was for all dogs) DOG GONE!!!! She gave him away to someone who could handle him who lives far enough away from me that I have not seen him again. Yay!!!

If that hadn''t worked, I was going to take other action, which would have been a pain for me.

I am so sorry to hear that this is going south. It just stinks that the system is set up against you.

shay

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I just did some resreach...I''m pasting from the county''s website. I tried to copy/paste only what I think "matters". So according to this they should have taken the dog and it just taked one attack to take some action...if the attack was unprovoked and resulted in any kin of punctures, lacetarions, stictches, surgery, etc...

sorry if this is too long.............

I am furious............................
29.gif
29.gif

From http://www.broward.org/cgi-bin/AT-anchor.pl?animal%20control&/usr/lpp/internet/server_root/pub/animal/ani00100.htm#animal%20control1

(k) Dangerous Dog shall mean any dog that according to the records of the Division or other ANIMAL CONTROL or law enforcement authority:

(1) Has, when unprovoked, approached any person in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds or places, provided that such actions are attested to in a sworn statement by one or more persons and dutifully investigated by an officer; or

(2) Has more than once severely injured or killed a domestic Animal while off the owner''s property; or

(3) Has aggressively bitten, attacked, or endangered or has inflicted severe injury on a human being on public or private property; or

(w) Severe injury shall mean any physical injury to a human being or Animal that results in a broken bone or bones, or any cut, puncture, piercing or breakage of the skin or tissue made with the teeth or fangs of any Animal, or a disfiguring laceration or lacerations requiring sutures or reconstructive surgery or a further defined in Section 767.11(3), Florida Statutes (2001), as may be amended from time to time.

(x) Unprovoked shall mean that the victim who has been conducting himself or herself peacefully and lawfully has been bitten or chased in a menacing fashion or attacked by a dog.

b) The actions of an Animal constitute a nuisance when an Animal disturbs the rights of, threatens the safety of, or harms a member of the general public, or damages the property of others.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, possess or maintain an Animal in such a manner so as to constitute a public nuisance. By way of example and not of limitation, the following acts or actions by an owner or possessor of an Animal are hereby declared to be a public nuisance:

(1) Allowing or permitting any Animal to habitually bark, whine, howl, crow, cackle or other loud and continual noise resulting in a serious annoyance or interference to neighboring residents shall be deemed to be committing an act in violation of this section.

(b) In the event that an incident involving any dog that may be dangerous is reported, the division or appropriate law enforcement agency shall conduct an investigation, which shall consist of an interview of the owner, if possible, and a sworn affidavit from any person, including the investigating officer, desiring to have a dog classified as dangerous. If the division determines after such investigation that sufficient cause exists to classify the dog as dangerous, as defined in section 4-2(s), the division shall initially classify the dog as a dangerous dog and promptly notify the owner of the dog in writing of such initial classification by registered mail, certified hand delivery, or service of process in conformance with Chapter 48, Florida Statutes.

I was not interviewed by animal control

The victim of any dog bite or attack may appeal the decision of the Division if the dog is not declared dangerous by the Hearing Officer.

(d) In the event that any officer has sufficient cause to believe that a dog is dangerous and that the owner is unable or unwilling to securely confine the Animal, the officer may impound the dog pending the investigation if deemed necessary to protect the public. If the dog is subsequently classified dangerous, it shall remain impounded until the owner provides for its secure confinement in accordance with this section. The division may dispose of such an impounded dog in a humane manner at the expense of the owner if the owner does not make such provisions within fourteen (14) days of the latter of: (I) the initial classification of dangerousness; (ii) the determination of dangerousness by the Hearing Officer; or (iii) the conclusion of any appeal which is decided adversely to the owner. The owner shall be responsible for boarding fees, veterinary and other costs incurred by the County to maintain the dog during such impoundment unless the owner prevails at the conclusion of all legal proceedings.

(2) If any dog not previously classified as dangerous, when unprovoked, attacks and causes severe injury to or the death of a human being, an officer shall immediately confiscate and impound the dog and after written notice to the owner and expiration of ten (10) business days from the date the owner receives the notice, dispose of such dangerous dog in a humane manner.

Sec. 4-14.5. Animal Bites With Injuries
(a) Any Animal that inflicts serious injuries as defined in Section 4-2 (w) or attacks and/or kills a domestic Animal as described in Section 4-2(k)(2) and that Animal''s owner or keeper shall be subject to the provisions of Section 4-14 above. If the Animal Care and Regulation Division concludes following an Animal bite investigation that the Animal inflicted severe injuries while unprovoked, the owner or keeper shall, at all times that the Animal is not securely confined indoors or confined in an enclosure:

(1) Muzzle the Animal in such a manner as to prevent it from biting or injuring any person or other Animal; and

(2) Keep the Animal on a leash with the owner or keeper in attendance.

(b) If any Animal inflicts serious injuries on a person or attacks and/or kills a domestic Animal as described above in two or more separate incidents, the owner or keeper of the Animal and the Animal shall be subject to the "Dangerous Dog" regulations as described in Section 4-12 and 4-12.5.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, I have a link for you. You said Broward County; right. check here. link

Read down to dangerous dogs. Click where it says "click here." You can move to have that dog classified as dangerous, and the dog can be seized during the investigation for the public safety. They have no choice but to confine the dog. The officer did not give you all your options at all. Show this to your attorney and see if it''s worth pursuing. Sorry if I seem to be a buttinsky, but I couldn''t resist seeing if there was something online that could help you. I hope it does.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Teehee, great minds think alike.

shay

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 9:05:24 PM
Author: Shay37
Teehee, great minds think alike.

shay

hehe, thanks though! you''re too sweet!!!

I sent everything to my lawyer also. Hopefully I''ll be able to talk to him tomorrow with more time so we can discuss our options.

I did tell the officer that the dog was vicious and dangerous...she said she couln''t o anything, that was the "law" she couldn''t take the dog from their owners or require them to walk him with a muzzle.

She was right down nasty. At one point I didn''t understand what she said and asked her to repeat it for me....she raised her voice and started speaking to me like I''m an idiot (yes, I have an accent and english is not my first language, but I''m not an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I''m really stupid because I din''t get her name!!!...it must be on the records at their office, right?

I can see this is just not going well for anyone...and it really upsets me...I really hoped we could all act like responsible adults and I was trying to be as nice as I could. This entire afternoon I have felt worse than before but it''s just from being angry and stressed. What a huge difference mental attitude makes. I was feeling so positive before and thought things would get better...instead I feel like I''m being bullied and the one where all the fingers are pointing to.

I have to try to stay calm and trust that the system will actually work as it is designed to work (at least according to that website). Maybe this was just an incompetent officer....and hopefully things are not as she explained.

My mom is leaving tomorrow morning
7.gif
...I''m going to miss her!!!

M~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results