shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacked by neighbor''s rottweiler...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh. I''m sorry you were attacked. The dog sounds like a menace and needs to be removed from the neighborhood before it hurts someone worse. Can you imagine the guilt you''d feel if you don''t press charges then some little kid gets hurt or worse yet killed? I couldn''t live with that....it''s hard to live with the guilt of forcing someone to put their dog to sleep...but the guilt of knowing I could have saved some kid would be far worse!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 11:42:55 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 1/10/2007 9:31:04 AM

Author: fire&ice

I haven''t read through the responses - but quickly - 1. In most parts of the country if you go to the hospital/doctor for a dog bite, it is automatically reported to the police. So, don''t think you have much of a choice there. And, I would see what they (the police) have to say.

The problem with breeds like Rotties is that they have powerful jaws & they rely on their bite to bring down their subject. Sounds to me like a defensive mechanism. You have probably built up this reponse as you have passed by many times & the dog couldn''t get to you.

What to do? Tough call. Also, *how* did the dog attack? You mention that he took your arm? This is why I say it''s defensive. *BUT* did he try to go for your neck? Did he try to bring you down? Did he try to go for your face? Did you have your back turned? Where you walking towards them? Did you engage this dog with any eye contact? All of these answers to my questions would help in my making of a decision.

I''m really sorry. I hope the damage remains superficial. At the very least, the dog owners should be responsible for all your medical bills, etc. I not certain that their homeowners will pay. Some dogs (in certain areas/policies, etc.) are automatically exempt. Do they own the house? Who ''techincally'' owns the dog? Is the dog licensed? Does it have to be?

my answer to those questions would be I don''t care! I don''t care why, I don''t care if there was eye contact - if I was a pet human I might succumb to the social rules of dogs, but that''s not the way the world is and if a child who doesn''t know better makes eye contact that should excuse it? no.

DITTO. Moreover, this was not a "defensive" act since Mandarin did nothing to provoke the dog!

Hopes

Rough_Rock
Agreed 100%. Why should it matter in what manner she was walking or looking? Mandarine was minding her own business and out of the way of the dog when it attacked her! Defensive action on the dog or not, it does not excuse the fact that she was injured, and that the lady walking the dog could not control it. I agree with a previous post: if it had been a PERSON who assaulted her, that person would be under the scrutiny of law! If person A stabbed person B in the arm, caused lots of bleeding, person B landed in the hospital -- even if person B had some insulting words for person A and "provoked" the stabbing, person A would still be in jail! Why should a dog be treated with MORE leniency?!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
mandarine:

I hope that you are feeling at least a bit better today!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

I haven''t read through the responses - but quickly - 1. In most parts of the country if you go to the hospital/doctor for a dog bite, it is automatically reported to the police. So, don''t think you have much of a choice there. And, I would see what they (the police) have to say.

The problem with breeds like Rotties is that they have powerful jaws & they rely on their bite to bring down their subject. Sounds to me like a defensive mechanism. You have probably built up this reponse as you have passed by many times & the dog couldn''t get to you.

What to do? Tough call. Also, *how* did the dog attack? You mention that he took your arm? This is why I say it''s defensive. *BUT* did he try to go for your neck? Did he try to bring you down? Did he try to go for your face? Did you have your back turned? Where you walking towards them? Did you engage this dog with any eye contact? All of these answers to my questions would help in my making of a decision.

I''m really sorry. I hope the damage remains superficial. At the very least, the dog owners should be responsible for all your medical bills, etc. I not certain that their homeowners will pay. Some dogs (in certain areas/policies, etc.) are automatically exempt. Do they own the house? Who ''techincally'' owns the dog? Is the dog licensed? Does it have to be?
my answer to those questions would be I don''t care! I don''t care why, I don''t care if there was eye contact - if I was a pet human I might succumb to the social rules of dogs, but that''s not the way the world is and if a child who doesn''t know better makes eye contact that should excuse it? no.
Because it goes to the heart of the attack & whether the dog can be rehomed or retrained. A defensive attack does not have to be provoked like we humans think of provacation.

I''m likely to side with Al on this one. Once a dog has a vicious attack under it''s belt - so to speak - the likehood of it happening again is stronger. It is most unfortunate that a dog of this size & power has the ability to inflict such harm. As owner, I wouldn''t want to live with a dog like that. More than likely with the caveat of more examination into the prelude to the attack, I''d put the dog down.

On another note, a distant relative''s toddler was attacked (face) by a small cook-a-poo. The dog inflicted 100,000 dollars worth of plastic surgery. The dog was not put down. The owner''s insurance did not pay a dime. Not sure why - perhaps because the nature of the injury was "*just*" plastic surgery to the face.
20.gif

Here in VA, the owner of the dog could go to jail. We had a few high profile cases where the dog either killed or maimed people. The law was written to make the owner responsible. So, that could be another consideration. Do you want these folks to go to jail?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m not saying certain breeds are inherently bad, but just like humans, certain personality disorders in dogs are genetic. It''s like how a genetic predisposition to bad hips can be passed along.
Anxiety and the corresponding Fear Aggression are genetic flaws. Being extremely territorial and having strong prey instincts are not exactly flaws but traits that have been bred into a breed by humans.

It annoys me when people say that these tendencies are just the beast that''s lurking within our dogs. They are traits bred into dogs by humans. Alot of smaller dogs were also bred to attack prey like rats or other fast moving things. And some toy breeds have aggressive traits simply because they are so small that no-one ever bothered to bred for a well-tempered dog. Take the tv ad for dog food designed for toy breeds. It shows a toy being aggressive and growling at a man, and it''s portrayed as ''cute''.

Rotties were originally bred to be army dogs that would attack humans on command and guard camps, people, and cattle. They are sweet loving dogs that are highly intelligent and strong willed. They need to be rigorously trained both for the control and the mental discipline it installs in the dog. Like many dogs bred to work, they need ''jobs'' otherwise they will invent their own jobs or become even more aggressive and destructive. Anyone who wants a Rottie should get one from a breeder who is selectively breeding for sweet tempered Rotties.
This Rottie was obviously not carefully chosen nor was he properly trained. These people are not responsible enough or capable of handling a Rottie. Ever.
Her description sounded like the dog went for her face and throat and only got her arm because she shielded her face with it. This is different from a dog that tries to immobilize and take down a person and causes injury because no one ever taught him to not bite hard. He now views humans as legitimate prey and I''m not sure that can be trained away even by an expert.
I''m sorry but the more I think about this the more I think that the dog should be put to sleep.

BTW, for those of you with puppies, I suggest training your dog to never bite down on a person. Dogs don''t naturally realize how delicate human skin is. What you do is everytime your puppy puts his mouth on you while playing or nips, you start whimpering and crying in a high pitch tone. Go for a really pathetic sound. This works waaay better than scolding because it''s not just teaching a dog that it''s forbidden, it''s teaching the dog that it hurts you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To your same point Indie re: not biting down as puppies, we trained Portia to not do it by screaming OW and startling her every time she bit us when she was small. We'd also stop playing with her and turn our backs for a minute or so. Eventually she got pretty good at knowing what was our hand and what was the toy. Now if she messes up, she stops playing and she licks the hand kind of like 'sorry'. But she's pretty weak with her play anyway, she never is like vicious attack animal going for the toy, hehee. Especially if we have our hand in there playing.

Indie, I agree that humans breed the traits into the dogs. But over time, those traits DO become an inherent part of the dog's makeup just from years and years of inbreeding. So I do think that there can be a beast lurking in certain breeds, yes put there by people. In any case, what always bugs me is when people who DO have these types of so called dangerous breeds don't bother to recognize that they potentially have a weapon in their house, in their lives...most people are just like 'oh the rott puppies are so cute' without even knowing what they are getting into and half of them never bother to give the dog any formal training. And that non-education is what can get them into trouble. While I have nothing against these types of dogs and there are some in our complex who are generally friendly...I would never own a rott or pitt or whatever because to me that is just like playing with potential fire.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
mandarine I am so sorry this happened to you. I was chased and attacked by a German Shephered as a child so I understand your emotions. The owner actually playfully told the dog to "go get ''em" after my friend told her that his dog was bigger than her dog. (keep in mind we were probably 8 or 9 years old). The woman unleashed the dog and it ran after us. My friend ran into the house but I ran the wrong way and he tried to bite me. It ended up barely breaking the skin but I was so scared for so long. Our school bus stop was right in front of the house with this dog so for a while I had lingering stress of the dog coming outside to get me every time I got on or off the bus. Very traumatic for a child. Police were involved but nothing was done. I felt the owner was irresonsible for letting a dog loose on children and to this day I can''t understand why someone would do that, even if she was just joking around.

A couple of years ago in my area two dogs attacked a small child as he was walking down his driveway from the school bus. A couple of men working on a house next door saved the boy and he survived, however was injured. The legal battle went on for a long time. The owners didn''t want to put the dogs down and they hired lawyers. Then they supposedly moved the dogs out of the area. I forgot what happened to the dogs but it went on for about a year or two which was ridiculous. What I''m saying is sometimes owners don''t do the right thing and will fight to keep their dog, no matter how dangerous. If left up to your neighbors unfortrunately they may not do the right thing either.

In this area, a couple of weeks ago a beloved pet pony was killed by a pit bull. At first they thought coyotes but now they think it''s a pit bull that lived nearby. The dog is on the loose right now and people are rightly scared.

I hope that everything works out and I am so sorry for what you are going through. You will get through this but realize your fears and stress over dogs is completely normal. I can be around a German Shepherd now and I''m fine but it took a while. Just try to take care of yourself. By the way, I own a min. schnauzer as well and thank goodness you didn''t have the pup with you! The schnauzers tend to be a little too brave for their small size.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 12:16:17 PM
Author: Bunnifer

I haven't read through the responses - but quickly - 1. In most parts of the country if you go to the hospital/doctor for a dog bite, it is automatically reported to the police. So, don't think you have much of a choice there. And, I would see what they (the police) have to say.

The problem with breeds like Rotties is that they have powerful jaws & they rely on their bite to bring down their subject. Sounds to me like a defensive mechanism. You have probably built up this reponse as you have passed by many times & the dog couldn't get to you.

What to do? Tough call. Also, *how* did the dog attack? You mention that he took your arm? This is why I say it's defensive. *BUT* did he try to go for your neck? Did he try to bring you down? Did he try to go for your face? Did you have your back turned? Where you walking towards them? Did you engage this dog with any eye contact? All of these answers to my questions would help in my making of a decision.

I'm really sorry. I hope the damage remains superficial. At the very least, the dog owners should be responsible for all your medical bills, etc. I not certain that their homeowners will pay. Some dogs (in certain areas/policies, etc.) are automatically exempt. Do they own the house? Who 'techincally' owns the dog? Is the dog licensed? Does it have to be?

my answer to those questions would be I don't care! I don't care why, I don't care if there was eye contact - if I was a pet human I might succumb to the social rules of dogs, but that's not the way the world is and if a child who doesn't know better makes eye contact that should excuse it? no.

DITTO. Moreover, this was not a 'defensive' act since Mandarin did nothing to provoke the dog!

Fire&Ice, I understand why you're asking these questions, but this is wrong even if I had done nothing as small as making eye contact!..

In my case, I did NOTHING.....not even eye contact...I saw them walking towards their house from far away and I decied to take a short cut and go the other way so I didn't run into them in the small sie walk...not because I was scared, but just because I have seen how agited he gets every time someoene walks by him and I have seen what a hard time she has controlling him.

I wasn't even afraid of him....He bit twice, both times closing his jaw and shaking me from side to side, this is why I have several wounds....he did come running towards me and tackled me, but I didn't fall because I was up against some bushes. Besides the injuries I initially described, I have a bruise in my left butt cheek (sorry if TMI)...I'm guessing from a paw, and I have a puncture wound on the side of my breast...I guess from one of his nails...even this one is very deep...

Ok...back to reading...just wanted to answer those questions...I'll post another update when I'm done!

Thanks guys! :))

M~

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
How are you feeling today Mandarine? Did the sleeping pill help any?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Ok, first of all...thanks for all your replies!!! when I saw four pages I was so touched!...

I don''t mind if you guys discuss brred types or any other relate topics. I admit I''m not an expert at ogs, although I do aore them...but for me, more so than breed, is the size and strenght of the dog. There is a guy that walks a Pit bull by my house an he''s orable...my dog goes crazy barking at him (all bark, no bite!) and the owners just tells his dog "sit, look at me"...his dog just sits there, staring into his dad''s eyes and doesn''t even turn around. I''m not saying he''s dog is not capable of an attack, nobody could say that for sure,...but this is an owner that has obviously spent time training his pet and who has obviously done a great job at it!

Ok, so here is an update...

Fiirst on the health side...
39.gif
39.gif
. I actually slept great last night and had dreams about sailing a boat!
9.gif
..granted I did take a pain killer and a sleeping pill...but I slept and I SO needed that!!!!.

I went back to the ER today as they had asked me to do.....the wound is infected
7.gif
...that''s why I''m in so much pain. It''s very red and swolen...and there is a colored discharge coming out of it (sorry if TMI again!!!). They had to give me an IV to give me antibiotics through it and more pain killers. I can''t even tell you how much I hate needles!!!!!!...but I was thankful for the pain killers!. I have to go back tomorrow. The octor used a marker to mark the red area so tomorrow she can compare it in size. If it hasn''t gone own or if it has increased then I will have to get more IV with antibiotics. If 24 hours after that the infection worsens, they will have to admit me to the hospital to give me more frequent IVs an watch the infection because it could get dangerous
7.gif

I called the dog''s vet and the dog is healhty.....so he''s a mean-healthy monster!..at least that''s good news, he is up to date with all his shots.

Now an update on the situation with the neighbors and the dog....

The owners came by last night to bring me the dogs vet''s number. The girl didn''t really say much, she didn''t have much of an expression.....I think she''s in shock and scared.....but she also seemed upset, hopefully not at me!. I think she''s in shock...she saw it as it happenned and she knows it was completely unprovoked.

They said animal control will call them and assess the dog...or at least that''s what the cop said.....I don''t know why they''re taking so long to come though!! I''m calling the cop today to get an update.

I wish I could stay away from the dog...but I have to walk in front of their house everyday...the dog is still jumping on the windows barking. I always check the window before I leave my house just to make sure it''s safe out there...Something will be done because I shouldn''t have to live like this.

The neighbor (girl''s boyfriend, the one that pulled the dog from me) said that they keep playing everything in their heads and kept wishing they had done something earlier on to prevent this. He said they didn''t because they didn''t think the dog was capable of this.

I was pretty quiet. I just told them I have to do what is socially-responsible...and that is to ensure this doesn''t happen again.

He said if animal control says the dog needs to be put down that they will. I just nodded...he said that hopefully it wouldn''t get to that and that they have plans for training, for a muzzle and choke chain (if animal control allows the dog to live).

I didn''t say anything. BUT, if animal control says this is a first and the dog just needs training, I will fight to at least get the dog away from this neighborhood and any neighborhood similar to this one (with townhomes and kids running around the streets all day long).

Once I can get back to work I will contact a lawyer to get some paperword to make sure they pay any medical bills that my insurance doesn''t cover, including any physical therapy or plastic surgery that *may* be needed (hopefully I won''t need any!)

I want to thank you all again. I wish I could respond to all of your questions/comment, but it''s hard to type with one hand...and I''m woozy from so much medicine!....so it''s time for a nap!

I''m in good spirits and do pray for the dog and the neighbors too, because as much as I know I''m not guilty of anything and that they were irresponsible and were not good pet owners, I still feel for them and the pain/shock they''re going through.

Hugs,

M~
4.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine, I''m so sorry this happened to you. I''m not going to get into the whole debate about whether the dog should be put down or not, but I do agree that the dog is a menace and should at least be removed from your neighborhood.

I hope your arm gets better really soon and that the infection doesn''t get any worse and goes away quickly.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear that the bite wounds are now infected. How horrible for you on top of the emotional issues of this whole ordeal.

One thing you might want to consider is that your insurance company will likely want to be compensated too and they will have the lawyers to make sure the neighbors pay your medical bills.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad to hear that you''re sleeping better - sorry about the infection!

Maybe you can buy some pepper spray to carry with you when you walk - I used to carry some and one time a Dalmation came charging at me barking and I sprayed it so the dog ran away. This would at least make you feel stronger and safer - personally I''m really scared of dogs and I can''t imagine how I''d feel if I was attacked like you.

Also maybe you want to get a recommendation for a plastic surgeon now? I don''t know, maybe it makes a difference to see one early on - you might want to check - I''m just guessing I have no medical training. You might also want to call your insurance company.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
First let me say I am glad you are ok & get well soon.

Second, definitely don't let this incident slide. File charges get your medical bills paid etc.. NOBODY should have a dog that has attacked a person. A dog that attacks unprovoked (Or otherwise, really) can not be rehabilitated. If they bite once they will bite again. What if that dog attacks a child? Or your dog/cat whatever. Let me tell you gosh forbid I had a dog that even nipped or looked at someone the wrong way it would be gone in a second, completely unacceptable.

Edited to say that I worked in an animal Hospital in the past & small breeds were just as aggressive if not more so than the larger breeds. Anyway you look at it a dog big or small can cause serious injuries. Nobody should keep an aggressive pet. If your dog is aggressive with/bites you, it will have no problem biting someone else & in my opinion should be put down.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
UGH it so bothers me to hear that you have to deal with this dog by walking by their house on a daily basis and seeing the culprit jumping up on the windows barking at you!!! That would be seriously mentally traumatizing especially as you are still dealing with the repurcussions! They need to do something with that animal..keep him away from the windows at the very least out of some respect. Did you report them to the community HOA? They should also be involved if these people are breaking the rules by having a 30+ lb dog in the community...ESPECIALLY now. If you have not reported them to HOA yet I totally would. Let them get involved and fight a battle on their end which they will.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh Mandarine, this sounds so nasty..I hope that infection clears and you feel much much better soon.

Others have piped in plenty of advice, so I''ll just leave my post on the get well wishes.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, I am so sorry to hear about the infection. I will start praying immediately for you.

Also, contact an attorney ASAP. Their homeowners should foot the bill for your injuries. It is not an option. They owe you for your injuries, and attorney (a good one) can help to figure up any future medical expenses that might be incurred so that you are not short-changed in case of future expenses.

I cannot believe he said that he would do whatever the police say but he hopes he doesn''t have to put the dog down.
29.gif
If this were my dog, it would have already been done. I adore dogs. I always have. This is a dog with aggressive tendencies who is large enough to be dangerous. It does not matter if the next person is more injured than you or a child or less injured than you. Who cares who the next victim might be or the damage that could be done! You were one victim too many. This dog should not get a second bite at the apple because his owners decide one day not to muzzle him for a walk, or he gets past them one day as they are opening the front door, and goes after someone else before they can catch him.

This is exactly the type of response I would expect from an irresponsible owner.
29.gif
RIDICULOUS!!!!!

shay

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Think if it this way...

What if you do nothing, and next time he gets away he attackes a child and rips their throat out instead of just biting an adults arm. How would you feel then?

I know it must be hard for you. But a dog that bites, will always bite.. Personally, I think they should put him to sleep. You did nothing to instigate the attack therefore it was nt a reaction to something, he was threatened, nor was his owner. These dogs have been bred to fight and kill... UGH...

Everyone knows I am not a dog lover. But I would never call for the destruction of a dog when it was not warrented, but this breed is just a bad breed and I can;t wait till they ban them in the US like they have been elsewhere.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 12:29:11 PM
On another note, a distant relative''s toddler was attacked (face) by a small cook-a-poo. The dog inflicted 100,000 dollars worth of plastic surgery. The dog was not put down. The owner''s insurance did not pay a dime. Not sure why - perhaps because the nature of the injury was ''*just*'' plastic surgery to the face.
20.gif
yeah - I wouldn''t be housing a dog that hurt people.... oh hell no.... not when there are so many sweet gentle dogs out there that need homes. And while a small dog might not be able to kill a grown man - they''re still dangerous as well.

the OP called her dog a brat - I''d suggest that she go through training with her dog as well....not because of any reason other than why not? it can''t hurt, it can only help.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Mandarine, you are in my thoughts and prayers! I know how terrified you must have been.

You've already received a ton of responses, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. When I was a little girl I was terrorized by a neighbor's Doberman. While they kept him behind a fence, he always snarled and snapped his teeth when he could see us playing. He did on occassion escape, but thank God he never caught me (he did get a few of the neighbor kids though). I vividly remember always being on the lookout for that dog. On a few occassions I remember riding my tricyle (yes, I was not big enough for a bike) peddling as fast as I could, with tears streaming down my face towards safety with that dog racing after me. The dog got out one day and was hit by a car & killed. I am 45 years old, and to this day I still have recurring nightmares about dogs attacking me! I wish the owners would have done something way back then - maybe I wouldn't have such a fear of big dogs today.

A couple of years go my mom was out walking her mini daschund. The neighbor's two big dogs went through an invisible fence, attacked and killed my mom's dog and bit my mom all to hell while they were at it. The owners paid for my moms bills and compensated her for the cost of a new dog, but she was and still is very traumatized. The dogs were kept alive and continued to terrorize my mom (the owners made absolutely no changes), so my parents finally moved.

In your case, I would not want to have to see or hear that dog every time you leave your house. You shouldn't have to live in fear. I would also be concerned for anyone else who might come into contact with the dog. God only knows what would happen to a child if the dog got loose. If I had any say in the matter, I would have to vote for putting the dog down (even though I feel it's owners are responsible).

My prayers are with you. I wish you a speedy recovery and am sending cyber hugs your way!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 1:34:17 PM
Author: diamondsrock
In this area, a couple of weeks ago a beloved pet pony was killed by a pit bull. At first they thought coyotes but now they think it''s a pit bull that lived nearby. The dog is on the loose right now and people are rightly scared.
back in the mid 70''s I saw a pit attack a horse at a park near los gatos.... the dog got ahold of the horse''s belly and the horse was kicking and runing all over and the dog had locked its jaw on the horse... my mom shielded me from the rest and I don''t think the horse died, but there was plenty of blood. that damn dog deserved a good kick in the head if you ask me.

My dad''s best friend has had a string of pits since I was a child. The first I wasn''t around much but was around some.... the second was killed by some other dogs.... the third was so vicious they put it to sleep (I may have the order mixed up here lol) and roscoe was the sweetest of them all and lived the longest - just a true pussy cat.... but in my later years Inever quite trusted him because of the type of dog he was plus I''d seen him once jump and catch a rope that kids used to swing into the russian river and he locked his jaws on that an shook it and shook it violently and could or would not let go and hung there for FORTY MINUTES locked on - he was not gonna lose that tug of war - stubborn stubborn!!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
M - these people should make the choice to get rid of the og on their own!! It shouldn''t fall on your shoulders.

BTW it was difficult for us to find a lawyer that would take our case.... there isn''t a lot of money in it for them apparently and not worth their while. I hope you have better luck!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 3:47:31 PM
M - these people should make the choice to get rid of the og on their own!! It shouldn''t fall on your shoulders.

BTW it was difficult for us to find a lawyer that would take our case.... there isn''t a lot of money in it for them apparently and not worth their while. I hope you have better luck!
That really depends on the homeowners insurance coverage that the owners have. There can be quite a bit of money involved if they are properly insured. I am not saying that she should sue their pants off, but I think that she should be fairly compensated. Find a GOOD attorney. Then it''s not so much about the money they earn as about the money they get for you.
2.gif

shay

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 3:31:58 PM

Date: 1/10/2007 12:29:11 PM
On another note, a distant relative''s toddler was attacked (face) by a small cook-a-poo. The dog inflicted 100,000 dollars worth of plastic surgery. The dog was not put down. The owner''s insurance did not pay a dime. Not sure why - perhaps because the nature of the injury was ''*just*'' plastic surgery to the face.
20.gif
yeah - I wouldn''t be housing a dog that hurt people.... oh hell no.... not when there are so many sweet gentle dogs out there that need homes. And while a small dog might not be able to kill a grown man - they''re still dangerous as well.

the OP called her dog a brat - I''d suggest that she go through training with her dog as well....not because of any reason other than why not? it can''t hurt, it can only help.

A brat in the sense that he''s stubborn...not agressive!...sure he barks, I don''t know a min. schnauzer that doesn''t...but the most he would do would be to jump at someone...which usually is to get attention, not to attack...it''s more like "hellooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! pet me!!!!!! pet me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Still, he''s always on a leash and only plays with children with supervision...

I am considering going to more classes with him anyway, just to have him listen to my commands more and know how to walk correctly on a leash (he usually walks behind me!!!...unlike any other dog that is usually dying to go in the front!)

Anyway, just wanted to clarify!

I just called animal control...they had NOT received the case from the police!!!!! can you believe that????
29.gif
29.gif

Anyway...she took all the info, but said she din''t know when they will come...that she hoped it was soon and the dog WILL be quaratined immediately after they come....thank GOD.

Next up, I''m calling the HOA. Yesterday I just didn''t have the head to deal with all this....

M~

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 2:12:45 PM
Author: Mandarine
Ok, first of all...thanks for all your replies!!! when I saw four pages I was so touched!...

I don''t mind if you guys discuss brred types or any other relate topics. I admit I''m not an expert at ogs, although I do aore them...but for me, more so than breed, is the size and strenght of the dog. There is a guy that walks a Pit bull by my house an he''s orable...my dog goes crazy barking at him (all bark, no bite!) and the owners just tells his dog ''sit, look at me''...his dog just sits there, staring into his dad''s eyes and doesn''t even turn around. I''m not saying he''s dog is not capable of an attack, nobody could say that for sure,...but this is an owner that has obviously spent time training his pet and who has obviously done a great job at it!

Ok, so here is an update...

Fiirst on the health side...
39.gif
39.gif
. I actually slept great last night and had dreams about sailing a boat!
9.gif
..granted I did take a pain killer and a sleeping pill...but I slept and I SO needed that!!!!.

I went back to the ER today as they had asked me to do.....the wound is infected
7.gif
...that''s why I''m in so much pain. It''s very red and swolen...and there is a colored discharge coming out of it (sorry if TMI again!!!). They had to give me an IV to give me antibiotics through it and more pain killers. I can''t even tell you how much I hate needles!!!!!!...but I was thankful for the pain killers!. I have to go back tomorrow. The octor used a marker to mark the red area so tomorrow she can compare it in size. If it hasn''t gone own or if it has increased then I will have to get more IV with antibiotics. If 24 hours after that the infection worsens, they will have to admit me to the hospital to give me more frequent IVs an watch the infection because it could get dangerous
7.gif

I called the dog''s vet and the dog is healhty.....so he''s a mean-healthy monster!..at least that''s good news, he is up to date with all his shots.

Now an update on the situation with the neighbors and the dog....

The owners came by last night to bring me the dogs vet''s number. The girl didn''t really say much, she didn''t have much of an expression.....I think she''s in shock and scared.....but she also seemed upset, hopefully not at me!. I think she''s in shock...she saw it as it happenned and she knows it was completely unprovoked.

They said animal control will call them and assess the dog...or at least that''s what the cop said.....I don''t know why they''re taking so long to come though!! I''m calling the cop today to get an update.

I wish I could stay away from the dog...but I have to walk in front of their house everyday...the dog is still jumping on the windows barking. I always check the window before I leave my house just to make sure it''s safe out there...Something will be done because I shouldn''t have to live like this.

The neighbor (girl''s boyfriend, the one that pulled the dog from me) said that they keep playing everything in their heads and kept wishing they had done something earlier on to prevent this. He said they didn''t because they didn''t think the dog was capable of this.

I was pretty quiet. I just told them I have to do what is socially-responsible...and that is to ensure this doesn''t happen again.

He said if animal control says the dog needs to be put down that they will. I just nodded...he said that hopefully it wouldn''t get to that and that they have plans for training, for a muzzle and choke chain (if animal control allows the dog to live).

I didn''t say anything. BUT, if animal control says this is a first and the dog just needs training, I will fight to at least get the dog away from this neighborhood and any neighborhood similar to this one (with townhomes and kids running around the streets all day long).

Once I can get back to work I will contact a lawyer to get some paperword to make sure they pay any medical bills that my insurance doesn''t cover, including any physical therapy or plastic surgery that *may* be needed (hopefully I won''t need any!)

I want to thank you all again. I wish I could respond to all of your questions/comment, but it''s hard to type with one hand...and I''m woozy from so much medicine!....so it''s time for a nap!

I''m in good spirits and do pray for the dog and the neighbors too, because as much as I know I''m not guilty of anything and that they were irresponsible and were not good pet owners, I still feel for them and the pain/shock they''re going through.

Hugs,

M~

4.gif

Hopefully, the antibiotics will do the trick and your wound will heal quickly. And that you can recover emotionally and physhologically as well.

Your neighbor''s dog, the pit bull,......... Sounds like he knows who the pack leader is. The owner. Not the dog.

We watch Cesar Milan on Discovery Channel. He''s a dog psychologist. Cesar says he rehabilitates dogs and trains people. He''s constantly talking about being assertive with dogs so they remain calm and submissive.

The Dog Whisperer

As you said, you probably didn''t do anything to cause the attack. Maybe just being too near, or tall, or whatever may have set the whole thing into motion. The dog knew the person walking him/her was not in control. Not the pack leader. All the pressure fell on the dog, mentally. The dog may have been nervous or excited and lashed out due to mental stress or to protect his person.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarin - I hope you are feeling better.

I am so sorry for what you've gone through...that is just awful. Like you, I love dogs and would absolutely HATE to be in the situation you are in. It just makes me feel sad just thinking about it. And it makes me really angry at the dog's owners for putting you in that situation. There are a few breeds I would never own because I do not know if I am a strong enough owner to handle them properly...and this woman was clearly out of her league. I am just fuming about this.

LK - in response to your question, no way is Manderine liable if for some reason the dog isn't put down and the dog attacks again.

There is one possibility that I came up with - if the thought of putting the dog down really upsets you. I know there is an animal sanctuary called "Best Friends" and I believe it is in Utah - where they will take and care for unadoptable or dogs with behavioral problems. My understanding is that they will work with the dog, and if they are unable to "fix" the behavioural problems, then the dog will not go up for adoption and will live the rest of its life in the Best Friends' animal sanctuary - which is a pretty amazing place... in a situation like that you know the dog will not hurt anyone again - and it won't be put down. Just a thought - and I don't know if it would work logistically or not...but just wanted to put that out there.

That having been said, I would totally understand if you decide to request that the dog be put to sleep. Based on what you've said, this wasn't a nip or a bite - this was an attack. And that is just downright frightening. Yes, the owners are ultimately at fault, but the dog is now a real threat...and who knows if professional training or behavior modication would work...and many people would be at risk in the meantime...ugh. It just stinks and I am so sorry.

As a lawyer - I gotta agree with the others that urge you to speak with a lawyer. I know this sounds just horrible, but the fact that the owner said they'd pay doesn't mean they will. You may have to file a suit - and there might be evidence and other things that could be lost. And also - and I NEVER practiced personal injury law - it sounds like you are experiencing some pretty nasty after effects (pain, infection) - I'm not sure these irresponsible owners should get a free pass on that. You are being far more kind than I am...And with the gossip about your dog's "attack" of the son...I'm not getting a particularly trust-worthy vibe from these people. Finally, a lawyer may be able to advise you about what should happen with the animal control stuff.

Again, I'm sorry this happened.

Melissa

ETA - I don't think an afternoon with Milan will fix this. It makes for great tv...and that is all that it is. A number of reputable trainers have questioned his methods and the whole thing is just t.v. show. Sorry, but his quick fix blah blah doggie pyschobabble really bugs me. So yeah.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Mandarine, I am so sorry - how scary, and how painful.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Great advice, littlelysser!!

Although I'm probably the least litigious person in the world, I think Mandarine should indeed consult a lawyer, sooner rather than later.

And one other thought...if these neighbors' "solicitous" visits are at all disturbing to you, I'd put a stop to them at once. What could they possibly do or say to make you feel better except that the dog is GONE?

widget

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 4:12:23 PM
Author: littlelysser

ETA - I don''t think an afternoon with Milan will fix this. It makes for great tv...and that is all that it is. A number of reputable trainers have questioned his methods and the whole thing is just t.v. show. Sorry, but his quick fix blah blah doggie pyschobabble really bugs me. So yeah.

Oh, I agree whole heartedly. One afternoon with any trainer is not gonna fix this family/dog situation.

Just saying that the dog''s behavior could be at least somewhat a reflection of the lack of human control on the part of the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results